Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,275 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist (2442 Views)

Atheism By Definition Is Problematic / Why I Left Atheism By John N. Clayton / The Top 10 Lies About Atheism By Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 22, 2016
Theist on this site have long often asked about the advantages of atheism to the individual and society at large. As an atheist my self I will try to elucidate on the pro's of atheism.
bear in mind atheism is the belief that no Deity exist, it is not a religious sect and does not have any guidelines for atheist to follow. So atheist are largely different and this is just my view.

1.) Atheism frees us from the shackles of superstition. Nigeria is a very superstitious country, even before the introduction of Christianity to our country, Early Nigerians had their own deities that they worshipped fervently. This deep seated superstition led to human sacrifices as well as the killing of twins and albinos in some part of the country. Today remnants of these superstition remain such as diagnosing an illness or non prosperity as the work of witches or wicked family members, but these days instead of consulting with a priest people now flood to churches for solutions. Being an atheist allows you to use your logical mind and remove all possibilities of the supernatural in your daily life, like Sherlock Holmes once said "Eliminate the impossible and whatever remains no matter how improbable must be correct", being an atheist allows people to look at things more critically and try to understand them more rather than hold onto to a supernatural explanation.

2.) Atheism allows you to care more about the earth and society at large: When you're an atheist an have completely done away with the possibility of a destined end for mankind or a euphoric or dystopian afterlife, you'll simply not accept the earth for better or worse but to try and change them. One of the reasons Nigeria is in such a disheveled state today is because people simply accept things as they are, rather than fighting against the system, most Nigerians are just waiting to die so they can inherit heaven, when a man no longer cares about the state of reality but is rather after an imaginary Paradise does that not spell dome for his nation. This belief that the earth is destined to end is another reason why global warming is not taken serious in most of the world, they accept it as the inevitable fate of man, rather than a result of human pollution. On the other hand if you don't believe in an afterlife or the devastating inevitable end of mankind, wouldn't you want to leave a lasting impression on the earth to make it better before you die?

3.) Atheism grants freedom : atheist don't believe that their destinies are predetermined by a deity, rather they take matters into their own hands, atheism frees you to be whoever you are meant to be and to enjoy this life. Most theist will now point out that this promotes immoral behaviour in the society, but I urge you to remember that nigeria is a deeply religious country but how has that helped us? Our leaders are corrupts we have kidnappers, terrorist, thieves and rapist. While counties that are either atheistic or don't value religion as much as we do are much better in these aspects.

4.) Atheism makes one a more tolerant individual: atheist by far discriminate less than their theist counterparts, mostly because they don't follow the guidelines written in a book thousands of years ago. Christians in America regularly used the bible to justify slavery and their racist behaviours towards black people, Islamic terrorist use their Qur'an to justify the chaos they cause. Both religion regard women as inferior, And largely hold the LGBT society in contempt. Theist will be quick to point that some atheist also hold extremist views but I'm sure a quick look at the statistics will tell you that theist outperform atheist in that category.

Closing remarks
A society that only cares about surviving till they die so they'll enter a fictional paradise will not do much to change the world around them. Nigeria must break free from the shackles that is religion if it must prosper and further enhance the world.

28 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by johnydon22(m): 11:42am On Sep 22, 2016
There is nothing like 'Advantages of atheism" it is just a position of unbelief in God(s) not a doctrine or philosophy ..

These are human behaviourial potentials you've listed up there and frankly anybody theist, atheist can live as such or contrary.

It's not a trade mark of a brand

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by Pidggin(f): 11:56am On Sep 22, 2016
Only the truth will set you free
Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by dblackninja: 12:11pm On Sep 22, 2016
Cool @ Lennycool cool

There are many problems plaguing this our planet. Removing the god factor is at least one step in curing a headache.
I share your views as well.

2 Likes

Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by raphieMontella: 12:13pm On Sep 22, 2016
lennycool...those are the advantages of secular humanism..and humanism is what we should vouch for universally.
Atheism(+agnosticism) has no known benefit other than objective truth in the atheistic sense(the god(s) presented is not God)..
Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by sonofluc1fer: 12:41pm On Sep 22, 2016
Neither atheism nor theism have any advantages. We are all lost and clueless in this world. Whatever fable makes you happy. Just be considerate to others.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by HMZi: 1:40pm On Sep 22, 2016
Advantages? Smh....

1 Like

Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by adjoviomole(m): 2:17pm On Sep 22, 2016
I have all this advantages you mentioned and I am still a christian and will forever be. So what's ur point? grin dis ppl self u listed attributes that any humna can have no matter the religion or background n u termed it advantages of atheism

I can see ur sense hmmmmmm

2 Likes

Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by Nobody: 5:29pm On Sep 22, 2016
adjoviomole:
I have all this advantages you mentioned and I am still a christian and will forever be. So what's ur point? grin dis ppl self u listed attributes that any humna can have no matter the religion or background n u termed it advantages of atheism

I can see ur sense hmmmmmm
There is no how you can follow all the attributes above and be a proper Christian.

2 Likes

Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by Nobody: 5:32pm On Sep 22, 2016
johnydon22:
There is nothing like 'Advantages of atheism" it is just a position of unbelief in God(s) not a doctrine or philosophy ..

These are human behaviourial potentials you've listed up there and frankly anybody theist, atheist can live as such or contrary.

It's not a trade mark of a brand
I did not state that this was for everybody, or that all atheist abide by the above. I simply pointed out my own observation on the benefits of atheism.

1 Like

Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by analice107: 6:07pm On Sep 22, 2016
sonofluc1fer:
Neither atheism nor theism have any advantages. We are all lost and clueless in this world. Whatever fable makes you happy. Just be considerate to others.

You too? SonofLucifer. Ah, Otio, I thought Lucifer's way was the way to light? Wonderful.
Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by sonofluc1fer: 9:38pm On Sep 22, 2016
analice107:

You too? SonofLucifer. Ah, Otio, I thought Lucifer's way was the way to light? Wonderful.
Light reveals. Light chases darkness. Light holds value. Light is light to all. cool wink
Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by analice107: 9:47pm On Sep 22, 2016
sonofluc1fer:

Light reveals. Light chases darkness. Light holds value. Light is light to all. cool wink
Yet you said you are all doomed.
Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by sonofluc1fer: 9:48pm On Sep 22, 2016
analice107:

Yet you said you are all doomed.
Where?
Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by analice107: 9:54pm On Sep 22, 2016
sonofluc1fer:
Here. You said you are all lost. what does it mean to he lost? doooooooomed
Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by sonofluc1fer: 10:02pm On Sep 22, 2016
analice107:

what does it mean to he lost? doooooooomed
Where did you learn English?

1 Like

Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by hopefulLandlord: 10:07pm On Sep 22, 2016
analice107:

Here. You said you are all lost. what does it mean to he lost? doooooooomed

1 Like

Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by adjoviomole(m): 10:11pm On Sep 22, 2016
Lennycool:

There is no how you can follow all the attributes above and be a proper Christian.

Which of the above can a proper christian not follow?
Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by WORLDPEACE(m): 1:14am On Sep 23, 2016
Lennycool:
Theist on this site have long often asked about the advantages of atheism to the individual and society at large. As an atheist my self I will try to elucidate on the pro's of atheism.
bear in mind atheism is the belief that no Deity exist, it is not a religious sect and does not have any guidelines for atheist to follow. So atheist are largely different and this is just my view.

1.) Atheism frees us from the shackles of superstition. Nigeria is a very superstitious country, even before the introduction of Christianity to our country, Early Nigerians had their own deities that they worshipped fervently. This deep seated superstition led to human sacrifices as well as the killing of twins and albinos in some part of the country. Today remnants of these superstition remain such as diagnosing an illness or non prosperity as the work of witches or wicked family members, but these days instead of consulting with a priest people now flood to churches for solutions. Being an atheist allows you to use your logical mind and remove all possibilities of the supernatural in your daily life, like Sherlock Holmes once said "Eliminate the impossible and whatever remains no matter how improbable must be correct", being an atheist allows people to look at things more critically and try to understand them more rather than hold onto to a supernatural explanation.

2.) Atheism allows you to care more about the earth and society at large: When you're an atheist an have completely done away with the possibility of a destined end for mankind or a euphoric or dystopian afterlife, you'll simply not accept the earth for better or worse but to try and change them. One of the reasons Nigeria is in such a disheveled state today is because people simply accept things as they are, rather than fighting against the system, most Nigerians are just waiting to die so they can inherit heaven, when a man no longer cares about the state of reality but is rather after an imaginary Paradise does that not spell dome for his nation. This belief that the earth is destined to end is another reason why global warming is not taken serious in most of the world, they accept it as the inevitable fate of man, rather than a result of human pollution. On the other hand if you don't believe in an afterlife or the devastating inevitable end of mankind, wouldn't you want to leave a lasting impression on the earth to make it better before you die?

3.) Atheism grants freedom : atheist don't believe that their destinies are predetermined by a deity, rather they take matters into their own hands, atheism frees you to be whoever you are meant to be and to enjoy this life. Most theist will now point out that this promotes immoral behaviour in the society, but I urge you to remember that nigeria is a deeply religious country but how has that helped us? Our leaders are corrupts we have kidnappers, terrorist, thieves and rapist. While counties that are either atheistic or don't value religion as much as we do are much better in these aspects.

4.) Atheism makes one a more tolerant individual: atheist by far discriminate less than their theist counterparts, mostly because they don't follow the guidelines written in a book thousands of years ago. Christians in America regularly used the bible to justify slavery and their racist behaviours towards black people, Islamic terrorist use their Qur'an to justify the chaos they cause. Both religion regard women as inferior, And largely hold the LGBT society in contempt. Theist will be quick to point that some atheist also hold extremist views but I'm sure a quick look at the statistics will tell you that theist outperform atheist in that category.

Closing remarks
A society that only cares about surviving till they die so they'll enter a fictional paradise will not do much to change the world around them. Nigeria must break free from the shackles that is religion if it must prosper and further enhance the world.

You can believe in the possibility of the existence of a God and still enjoy these advantages you listed. If you believe that there is a creator but he can't be bothered by our affairs you can be free from the shackles of superstition, care about the society, not believe that your destiny is predetermined by a diety and be tolerant.
Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by winner01(m): 1:45am On Sep 23, 2016
Poor attempt. Religious individuals will school you on how to acheive the advantages you listed.

1 Like

Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by Funjosh(m): 2:52am On Sep 23, 2016
Lennycool:

Closing remarks

Clap for yourself grin
Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by Nobody: 8:01am On Sep 23, 2016
adjoviomole:

Which of the above can a proper christian not follow?
How can a proper Christian not believe that his destiny is in God's hands. This is the basis of all religion.

Superstition is a belief, not based on human reason or scientific knowledge, that future events may be influenced by one's behaviour in some magical or mystical way. Is this not the definition of praying and most religious acts, nothing differentiates prayer from lucky horse shoes and three leaf clovers.

Churches in nigeria are deeply against, premarital sex, most are against taking alcohol and smoking, against wearing of trousers and even jewelry for women, some dictate what kind of clothes you should not wear, what you cannot eat, what medical procedure you cannot undergo. So are all these not restrictions on personal freedom.
If you look at all these things and tell me that a Christian can do all of them. Then I wonder what liberal brand of Christianity you are practising.

2 Likes

Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by adjoviomole(m): 8:08am On Sep 23, 2016
Lennycool:

How can a proper Christian not believe that his destiny is in God's hands. This is the basis of all religion.

Superstition is a belief, not based on human reason or scientific knowledge, that future events may be influenced by one's behaviour in some magical or mystical way. Is this not the definition of praying and most religious acts, nothing differentiates prayer from lucky horse shoes and three leaf clovers.

Churches in nigeria are deeply against, premarital sex, most are against taking alcohol and smoking, against wearing of trousers and even jewelry for women, some dictate what kind of clothes you should not wear, what you cannot eat, what medical procedure you cannot undergo. So are all these not restrictions on personal freedom.
If you look at all these things and tell me that a Christian can do all of them. Then I wonder what liberal brand of Christianity you are practising.

What's good in taking alcohol and smoking?
Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 23, 2016
adjoviomole:

What's good in taking alcohol and smoking?

A similar Christian might also ask you what's good in women wearing trousers or jewellery or even taking medication, since God looks after all his children.
Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by adjoviomole(m): 9:01am On Sep 23, 2016
Lennycool:

A similar Christian might also ask you what's good in women wearing trousers or jewellery or even taking medication, since God looks after all his children.

grin answer me 1st. What is good in alcohol and smoking?
Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by Nobody: 10:03am On Sep 23, 2016
adjoviomole:

Well to most people that take them they are relaxing, this doesn't mean they don't have side affects.
Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by DeSepiero(m): 2:45pm On Sep 23, 2016
adjoviomole:

23 SURPRISING, HEALTHY BENEFITS OF ALCOHOL
In moderation, alcohol can actually offer up some notable health benefits.

1. RED WINE CAN ACTUALLY BURN FAT.
2. ALCOHOL CAN HELP FIGHT COLDS.
3. RED WINE IS BENEFICIAL TO YOUR HEART.
4. DRINKING MODERATELY CAN IMPROVE SEXUAL FUNCTION IN MEN.
5. AND FOR WOMEN, IT OFFERS LIBIDO-BOOSTING
POWERS
6. RED WINE CAN BOOST YOUR MEMORY.
7. WINE CAN MAKE YOU LIVE LONGER.
8. VINO CAN BOOST YOUR VACCINE’S EFFECTS.
9. WHITE WINE IS WEIGHT-LOSS FRIENDLY.
10. A GLASS OF CAB COULD ENHANCE YOUR WORKOUT.
11. BEER HAS VITAMINS
12. BEER CAN HELP YOU RECOVER FASTER POST-WORKOUT
13. BEER HELPS PROTECT THE BRAIN
14. BEER CAN STRENGTHEN YOUR BONES
15. BEER CAN ALLEVIATE MENOPAUSE SYMPTOMS
16. BEER LOWERS HEART ATTACK RISKS IN WOMEN
17. BEER HELPS YOUR KIDNEYS.
18. BEER CAN REDUCE DIABETES RISK.
19. LIKE WINE, VODKA IS ALSO HEART-FRIENDLY
20. TEQUILA CAN HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT
21. CRANBERRY AND VODKA CAN BOOST YOUR CREATIVITY.
22. ALCOHOL CAN SOOTHE SORE MUSCLES.
23. WHISKY CAN HELP A SORE THROAT

Scientific studies conducted to make these claims are mentioned in the link.
http://www.eatthis.com/benefits-of-alcohol
Re: Advantages Of Atheism By An Atheist by adjoviomole(m): 3:05pm On Sep 23, 2016
DeSepiero:

23 SURPRISING, HEALTHY BENEFITS OF ALCOHOL
In moderation, alcohol can actually offer up some notable health benefits.

1. RED WINE CAN ACTUALLY BURN FAT.
2. ALCOHOL CAN HELP FIGHT COLDS.
3. RED WINE IS BENEFICIAL TO YOUR HEART.
4. DRINKING MODERATELY CAN IMPROVE SEXUAL FUNCTION IN MEN.
5. AND FOR WOMEN, IT OFFERS LIBIDO-BOOSTING
POWERS
6. RED WINE CAN BOOST YOUR MEMORY.
7. WINE CAN MAKE YOU LIVE LONGER.
8. VINO CAN BOOST YOUR VACCINE’S EFFECTS.
9. WHITE WINE IS WEIGHT-LOSS FRIENDLY.
10. A GLASS OF CAB COULD ENHANCE YOUR WORKOUT.
11. BEER HAS VITAMINS
12. BEER CAN HELP YOU RECOVER FASTER POST-WORKOUT
13. BEER HELPS PROTECT THE BRAIN
14. BEER CAN STRENGTHEN YOUR BONES
15. BEER CAN ALLEVIATE MENOPAUSE SYMPTOMS
16. BEER LOWERS HEART ATTACK RISKS IN WOMEN
17. BEER HELPS YOUR KIDNEYS.
18. BEER CAN REDUCE DIABETES RISK.
19. LIKE WINE, VODKA IS ALSO HEART-FRIENDLY
20. TEQUILA CAN HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT
21. CRANBERRY AND VODKA CAN BOOST YOUR CREATIVITY.
22. ALCOHOL CAN SOOTHE SORE MUSCLES.
23. WHISKY CAN HELP A SORE THROAT

Scientific studies conducted to make these claims are mentioned in the link.
http://www.eatthis.com/benefits-of-alcohol

What about the disadvantages? grin while u are at it list the benefit of cigarette too grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Checkout These Funny Bible Meme History / Why Even Atheists Should Want There To Be A God / How Often Does A Pastor Lie On Pulpit?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.