Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:24 AM

He Betrayed Me - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / He Betrayed Me (698 Views)

My Girlfriend Betrayed Me(pls Any Free Medical Centre In Warri) / My Close Friend Betrayed Me Should I Revenge Too? / My Trusted Friend Betrayed Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Betrayed Me by Colydatom(m): 12:25pm On Sep 22, 2016
With Auntie Agatha

Dear Agatha,

Men are very treacherous. How unfair can men be to a woman! I am going to be 60 this year and have been married for 40 years. I invested everything I had into this marriage. I am the on

ly child of my parents so I inherited everything they had. When things were very difficult for my

Today, he is quite successful. If anybody had told me that this man I helped to become the success he currently is, would turn round to bite my fingers, I would have called that person a liar.husband and I, the only house they had in Surulere, I sold to enable my husband begin his business.

About two months ago, I went to the United Kingdom to visit my son whose wife just put to bed. While there, one of the wife’s cousin came to visit her. From their discussion, it was obvious that they hadn’t seen in recent time. This cousin apparently lives in the United States with his family.

I really couldn’t say what was so familiar about the cousin but he looked like someone I once met long time ago. I was really curious to know so I asked him about his work, State of origin, his parents and all the things you ask when trying to help the memory recall something from its bank.

My daughter-in-law innocently aided my quest for information as she announced that he shares the same surname as our family name. I was very curious to know so asked him his full name; the same names as my husband’s. I asked him about his mother, who I gathered is from the Caribbean.

I didn’t know what to do because the face I thought was familiar was actually my husband’s. the boy was the replica of my husband. He was more of his mirror image than my son. When I asked how old he was, I discovered he was just three years younger than my first son while his sister and my third were age mates.

Again, my daughter-in-law provided the information about the sister. When I asked him about his father, he said he was fine and presently in Nigerian with his other family.

Further questions reveal that he has told them about his Nigerian family; and how afraid he was of them coming to visit him because of his wife. He said the mother and father were legally married in the United States. When he asked if I knew his father going by the similarities in our surnames, I told him, I would find out from my husband. It was all I could do at that time not to let the secret out of the bag.

Without explaining my reasons, I told my children I was going back to Nigeria the following day.

In the plane by home, I was praying against the reality of what I just heard but it turned out to be the truth. He didn’t bother to hide the truth from me.

His excuse? I never made him feel like a man. Right from the very day I married him, I have always made him feel inferior, never lost the opportunity of reminding him I made him.

He said, I kept stripping him in the presence of the children by my recount of how I sold my father’s house to help him. He attributes the attitude of the children towards him to that.

I am really hurt and confused. I know he is trying to justify what he did by all the excuses about my behavior. Even if I am guilty of all these, is marrying another woman right? His way of repaying me for all I have done for him?

Of his own volition, he personally told the children about his other family. Ironically, my children, especially my sons, I thought would align with me against their father all appear to be blaming me for the situation in my house. My eldest son, actually told me he didn’t blame his father for sourcing for happiness else where. He stopped short of calling me a nag. My only daughter though wasn’t as vocal as the brothers just urged me to take things easy and sort it out with their father.

I have made up my mind to leave and have actually initiated discussion on the ownership of his business since I brought the money for the initial capital. I wont let another woman reap where she didn’t sow. But I need your help, am I doing the right thing?

An old friend of mine thinks, I am going about it the wrong way and that if I am not careful, I risk losing the respect and support of my children? But I cannot allow any woman into my home, the one it took my parents money to establish. It isn’t possible! As it is, he has already used my money to train his other children. What kind of help can you offer me Agatha?

I want you to appreciate that I am a hurt woman who is desperate to keep her inheritance.

Patience.

Dear Patience,

At almost 60, shouldn’t you be more concerned about your peace of mind, making up with your children than fighting over a legacy, your children, from your narration, may do not really need?

Can two wrongs ever be right? Granted, your husband has been unfair to you but don’t you think your current reaction is giving basis for his decision to marry another woman? If your children are not supporting you, actually appear to be giving their father tacit support, can you still say you are right?

There are situations in life when our righteousness can end up be very wrong. In this situation, your justification may not be right at the end of the day.

What is life? What is the essence of marriage? Is it to just have children? We can all give one reason or the other to rationalize our actions but would these excuses stand the test of time, when our actions and the results we get are put side by side?

Yes, you did the right thing, helping to kick start your husband’s success in life but does it merit your constant nagging of him; exposing him to the disdain of the children? If your own children can say those things about you, then you must have been terrible in your quest to ensure their father didn’t forget the side where his bread was buttered.

Marriage is more than a journey of having a good financial base; it is more of a journey of success, respect and tolerance.

Nagging him to remain loyal to you obviously drove him into the arms of another woman; one who knows that a good marriage is more than having plenty of money to spend.

Unwittingly, you created the opportunity for this woman to have a permanent stay in your husband’s life because the resonances of your words were hurting his being. You were making him feel worthless of himself and as a man, he needed to assure himself that he was man enough to command the respect and loyalty of a woman.

Granted, he started with your money but over the years, he invested his time, intellect to making that money a success. If it weren’t for his sound business mind and judgment, do you think, you would have been able to manage that inheritance you pride more than anything else in your world?

If it wasn’t his destiny to be successful, that money would have gone down the drain. What you only did was to give him an early start; he did the rest. If you hadn’t given him the money, someone else would have. God only used you to make His desires for your husband to come to early manifestation.

In your shoes, I would discard any attempt at sharing out the property or leaving the home. To continue with this line of action is to say your 40 years together as a couple have been a complete waste. Deep down, isnt this marriage worth saving despite what he has done to you?

The beauty of life is our ability to learn from our mistakes. At every level in life, we must make conscious effort to do away with the mistakes of the past. There is nothing stopping you from enjoying your marriage by making conscious and positive attempts at correcting the mistakes of the past.

Going ahead with your decision will further cause a disharmony between you and your children on one hand, and your husband on the other hand.

Take advantage of your chance meeting with your step children to mend the wounds your attitude and utterances have caused in your home. To do otherwise is to become a very lonely woman in life. As it stands, your children already have their own families, ones if you stay longer than necessary will become uncomfortable with you your husband too has a wife and children to fill his space too. Your leaving the house will give him the freedom he needs to fully integrate his family into his life. Old age gives us the opportunity to count our loses, adjust our lives to accommodate the many imperfections of life.

There is nothing love cannot forgive. Become the rallying point for your family. His other wife and children will never take your place if you are wise and know how to patch things up. Rather than fight him, encourage discussion, this way you will know what went wrong as well as how to manage all the new challenges without becoming the ultimate victim.

By being close to God, you make things easier for you to manage.

Good luck.
More: http://newsherald.com.ng/2016/09/he-betrayed-me/

1 Like

Re: He Betrayed Me by youngberry001(m): 12:30pm On Sep 22, 2016
Make ah read dis tin undecided

tcheew op u most be high on sniper:

Re: He Betrayed Me by drimpeccable(m): 12:35pm On Sep 22, 2016
Never seen a more sound advice.

1 Like

Re: He Betrayed Me by daclint(m): 1:13pm On Sep 22, 2016
Abeg who read am finish? ?
Re: He Betrayed Me by queencalipso(f): 1:34pm On Sep 22, 2016
Advice rightly given. What more can one say!!
Re: He Betrayed Me by Eleganza33(f): 1:41pm On Sep 22, 2016
Hahaha funny u,i cudnt read al as wel,d tin long
daclint:
Abeg who read am finish? ?

(1) (Reply)

Does Hair Colouring Accelerate Gray Hair? / How To Get Over A Failed Relationship When You Still Love Your Ex. / Guys What's Your Experience With Your Nagging Girlfriend?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.