Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,874 members, 7,806,505 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:29 PM

The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos (36498 Views)

10 Worst Things About Moving Back To Nigeria / 5 Solid Truths About Living In Abuja / 5 Things To Remember When Living Alone In Lagos For The First Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by Revolva(m): 4:24pm On Sep 22, 2016
Lagos City is highly populated and as such, its inhabitants opt for all sorts of living arrangements from estate settlements to shared flats and hostels. While these accommodation options have their own unique perks, a majority (especially those who are single) tend to prefer arrangements where they get to live alone.

Sure, living alone sounds fab as in Lagos it seems like a privileged opportunity, however, in my short period of living alone, I have noticed several things that provide the summation that living alone in this city may not necessarily be all that it is hyped to be. I have also gone further to point out some of the worst things about living alone in Lagos for the benefit of our readers here at Jumia Travel .

You spend more

Sure, roommates or flatmates can be messy and you really do not want to spend so much time fighting with them or cleaning after them, but then, they come in really handy when it comes to splitting bills and rent. One-bedroom apartments, studio apartments and mini-flats are ridiculously expensive as they start from as much as N400,000 and even get up to N 2,000,000, depending on their location within the city. When you live alone, you have to cater to the rent as well as myriad expenses including electricity, internet and cable -not to mention furniture, toiletries and other shared items by yourself. With a roommate, however, everything becomes affordable as you can split it all.

You get REALLY lonely

While living alone, you cannot expect to have all the space and ‘alone time’ that comes with it without having to suffer bouts of loneliness a times. Basically, you only have your own company and there is no one else to share random thoughts with or laugh with. On the days you suffer a tough day at work; you can’t really share the excruciatingly painful details and laugh with anyone. Yes, you could pick up the phone to talk to someone, but let’s be honest, that’s just not the same. Even worse, sleeping may be difficult as you are always on high alert especially when there are unknown sounds that happen in the middle of the night

It is difficult to manage food

Even if you have a large freezer, you find that you waste more food. There is no one to share large take-outs with or give leftovers to and sometimes, you get tired of eating the same stew for weeks and just have to throw it out. You find that you have to forgo buying all sorts of things when grocery-shopping, especially fresh vegetables as having them stay fresh and consumed within the appropriate period of time before they go to waste is the biggest challenge. You also have to struggle with mastering portion control and learning to stick to cooking ratios for one…not fun!

It is harder to deal with emergencies

Life is unpredictable and sometimes, things do not happen the way you plan them. Even worse, you may find yourself in horrible situations where you realize your survival may depend on the help or even just presence of another being. Imagine a situation where you have an allergy attack or a heart attack in the middle of the night and you are alone with no one to assist you; you may not make it to the next morning. With a roommate or flatmate, however, you have someone readily available to raise alarm when needed and a caregiver for times when you are just too sick to cater for yourself.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/09/worst-things-living-alone-lagos/

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by ojun50(m): 4:30pm On Sep 22, 2016
Op he no easy mostly wen yr family are nt leaving around lagos.

8 Likes

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by youngest85(m): 4:42pm On Sep 22, 2016
E no consyn me o

#teamstayalone#

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by oluwasegun007(m): 9:03pm On Sep 22, 2016
OP do u need a Room mate,

cos i got dem guys wu are ready to troop in..... grin grin grin

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by passionate88: 9:04pm On Sep 22, 2016
You have your peace

61 Likes

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by Nobody: 9:05pm On Sep 22, 2016
The worst thing about living in LAGOS

Landlord wife go tie wrapper come your room

24 Likes

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by bqlekan(m): 9:05pm On Sep 22, 2016
My name is Ijenichor, my food doesn't waste grin

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by ihatebuhari(f): 9:05pm On Sep 22, 2016
everyday Of my life, I do thank jah for making me to live in this heaven London

imagine how my life would have been in hell Lagos?

God i thank u and my Edo lovely mum

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by Moreoffaith(m): 9:05pm On Sep 22, 2016
Brb
Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by richidinho(m): 9:06pm On Sep 22, 2016
As a guy you are at risk of Lagos marriage, she can pack in anytime her aunty provokes her grin

76 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by ghettowriter(m): 9:06pm On Sep 22, 2016
I have both stayed alone and had a roomie stay with me for a while but honestly nothing beats having your parsonal space to yourself.even If you are lucky to have a Good roomie, it feels good at first, but along the line, you start to miss your alone times and you start seeing ur roomies weakness. Different strokes for different folks tho.

62 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by Amya(f): 9:06pm On Sep 22, 2016
Living alone is awesome! Yeah it gets lonely sometimes but I'll rather that any day than putting up with roomies.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by Ask4bigneyo(m): 9:06pm On Sep 22, 2016
odiegwu

2 Likes

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by Moreoffaith(m): 9:06pm On Sep 22, 2016
This thread remind me of my HRM friend who lives alone, he doesn't interact with his neighbor and doesn't allow kids enter his apartment, his friend didn't hear from him for days and decided to find him home, I am telling you this bro was found dead on his couch.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by guywitzerogal(m): 9:07pm On Sep 22, 2016
oluwasegun007:
OP do u need a Room mate,

cos i got dem guys wu are ready to troop in..... grin grin grin
gay insight Op run for ur life

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by Fabulosdave01: 9:07pm On Sep 22, 2016
The worst thing is...
Brb Obama is calling me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by xpmarj(m): 9:07pm On Sep 22, 2016
Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by alizma: 9:08pm On Sep 22, 2016
that waste of food is my big issue. I hate eating alone. can't just wait for us to get over all these-process.

1 Like

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by akinlaso(m): 9:08pm On Sep 22, 2016
chopping everyday see my belly dey pot bigger

1 Share

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by JuanDeDios: 9:09pm On Sep 22, 2016
passionate88:
You have your peace
No mind them. I'm not the feeling lonely type and I don't get to waste food.

9 Likes

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by martineinstein(m): 9:10pm On Sep 22, 2016
g
Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by slick1(m): 9:10pm On Sep 22, 2016
If u earn good money and u live reasonably, it is not bad at all
Imagine sharing a one bedroom flat and boo shows up for the weekend just as ur roomie's boo shows up too. Who go quit ? Especially since conji na bastard.... wink
LOL....my naughty mind sef cool

16 Likes

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by faorex(m): 9:10pm On Sep 22, 2016
no be only Lagos. even as a student one needs room mates

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by baba11(m): 9:10pm On Sep 22, 2016
Well,with my experience living with people so far..i will rather live alone than to be with someone who is going to determined my life one way or the others.

Concerning being lonely: that cannot be so o...because i'm people's 'person' anywhere i am

6 Likes

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by lola024(f): 9:10pm On Sep 22, 2016
Living alone is not good everywhere......I can't wait to take it in meen

1 Like

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by Airforce1(m): 9:10pm On Sep 22, 2016
I live alone

No regrets

11 Likes

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 22, 2016
This post is giving me thoughts.

1 Like

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by moscobabs(m): 9:12pm On Sep 22, 2016
op living alone is the best thing that can happen to a single guy in Lagos.

During my days as single guy at Kareem Babatunde st. in Agege the total number of tenants In the 6 rooms and 2 BQ were 72 almost 50 were female while 60% of them are single and pretty girls . I was the only guy living alone in one BQ. all ladies wanted me to b their bf cos they see me as big boy and their rooms are occupied therefore it wasnt convinent for them again. even their mama dey beg make I accommodate their girls .

u have to leave in face me and slap u before u can enjoy Lagos as a single person o, no dulling at all.

fight , beef , gossip everyday .

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by ceejay80s(m): 9:12pm On Sep 22, 2016
If u get roommate wey dey snore hard at night wen he dey sleep like my cousin, u go hate room mating ,
I dey kick the guy 65 times every night before morning, I only sleep 1hr from 9pm to 5am wey I dey wake, if the guy snore ,u go think say trailer get accident

5 Likes

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by gunpoint(m): 9:12pm On Sep 22, 2016
What if you hate people
Like me? undecided

8 Likes

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by nurez305(m): 9:12pm On Sep 22, 2016
If you are not the type that like noise, hate seeing your toilet dirty, hate seeing you tiles rough,hate seeing different visitor in your house everyday.... please don't try leaving with anybody... I hate sharing my room with anyone, I can accommodate you but won't allow you to pay any of the bill... I will do all myself incase the day I will give you red card

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Worst Things About Living Alone In Lagos by Tedpgrass: 9:13pm On Sep 22, 2016
If you've lived alone most of your late teens to adulthood..... living alone is bliss.

Your points are very valid.

Nothing like getting home and meeting things the way you left them.

No drama re rent share or food/ upkeep money share.

Its my spaaace!! Can think/ delibrate/ strategize

People are just a phone call away
So no wahala

17 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

End Of Danfo As LASG Is Set To Roll Out 300 New BRT Buses Oct. 1st / Occupants Escape Unhurt As Container Falls On Vehicle In Ikorodu (Photo) / Lagosians Groan As Massive Traffic Jams Bring The City To A Halt.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.