Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,250 members, 7,780,517 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 03:47 PM

5 Nigerian Cities That Are Affordable For Average And Low Income Earners - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 5 Nigerian Cities That Are Affordable For Average And Low Income Earners (1316 Views)

Slums From World Major Cities That Shows All That Glitters Is Not Gold (PHOTOS) / 5 Best Nigerian Cities To Live In - Do You Agree? / Which 3 Nigerian Cities Have The Happiest Residents? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Nigerian Cities That Are Affordable For Average And Low Income Earners by Rapmoney(m): 11:48pm On Sep 22, 2016
It is no longer news that coping with life as an average-income or low-income earner in most present-day Nigerian cities has not been easy. The prices of goods and services are constantly on the increase; these prices are surely defying the law of gravity...they go up and never come down. This has made affording a decent life more difficult for most workers or business people who do not earn much..

Nonetheless, there are some Nigerian cities where things are reasonably cheap. When I say this, I mean in relation to the three basic needs of man, according to economists, which are food, clothing and shelter. Let it also be noted that this post concerns itself with cities, that is, places with huge structures, road networks, banks, hospitals, industries, firms, public utilities, etc. By this, I am not expecting to be told that living a decent life comfortably well is cheaper in Abraka, Delta State or Asole-Ekiti, Ekiti State.

1) Benin-City, Edo State: This one place in Nigeria where you can earn between 40k to 50k per month and still maintain a decent life if you are wise and prudent with your finances. You can get a nice bed-sitter (self-contain, as some persons know it to be) for as low as 7,000 to 8,000 Naira per month, in a decent environment. Foodstuffs are also fairly cheap. If na wears, abeg forget that one. Benin dey represent!!!

2) Ilorin, Kwara State: I was opportuned to serve in Kwara State as a corp member. Not withstanding the fact that this ancient city is the state capital, the city can boast of fairly affordable accommodation for average-income earners. Foodstuffs are also reasonably cheap. The rate at which one would pick a 'normal' jeans trouser could be dwarfed by the price of that same jeans in Port-Harcourt!

3) Onitsha, Anambra State: One thing I know for sure is the fact that accommodation prices are not as high as in most Nigerian cities I have been to. You can earn averagely and still manage to live in a decent house. Like I said before, except you intend living a high or extravagant life, you could still save commendably well with a monthly salary of 50k. There are many rural areas surrounding Onitsha, where people farm aggressively, so foodstuffs are fairly cheap in the city. Same quality of goods that would be sold in Warri for 5,000 Naira could go for 2,800 Naira in Onitsha.

4) Bauchi, Bauchi State: If not for the violence that has been rocking many places in the northern part of Nigeria, Bauchi is one place that is cool to stay and work or do business; a place where average salary earners can live comfortably well without breaking into banks. Apart from food, clothe and shelter, transportation is also cheap!

5) Ibadan, Oyo State: Call it whatever you like; if you like, call it brown roofs, green roofs, yellow roofs or pink roofs, Ibadan remains one place that is very affordable to live in. Accommodation, foods and clothes are cheap compared to most other places. This is the major problem I always have with property clients relocating from Ibadan to Warri when they consult me; they would see you as an 'enemy of progress' as soon as you give them detailed cost of available accommodation. They find it difficult to reconcile the low cost of accommodation in Ibadan and other places with higher costs!

Kelvin Ukachukwu, a property manager and radio personnel,
Writes from Warri, Delta State.

CC: DisGuy, justwise

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Nigerian Cities That Are Affordable For Average And Low Income Earners by Cutehector(m): 11:59pm On Sep 22, 2016
Is it that people don't build modern houses in ibadan?
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities That Are Affordable For Average And Low Income Earners by Rapmoney(m): 12:09am On Sep 23, 2016
Cutehector:
Is it that people don't build modern houses in ibadan?
There's always the ancient and modern parts in most towns and cities. Just the way you have the Old Asaba and the New Asaba (Okpanam, GRA, Government House) in Asaba, Delta State.
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities That Are Affordable For Average And Low Income Earners by power900: 12:26am On Sep 23, 2016
Benin you say?

Re: 5 Nigerian Cities That Are Affordable For Average And Low Income Earners by Rapmoney(m): 12:41am On Sep 23, 2016
power900:
Benin you say?
My guy, e no get where winch no dey. Most people use this to give excuses in life cool
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities That Are Affordable For Average And Low Income Earners by Rapmoney(m): 6:12am On Sep 23, 2016
Disguy and justwise cool
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities That Are Affordable For Average And Low Income Earners by BOKO52(m): 12:12pm On Sep 23, 2016
WHAT ABOUT OSUN STATE AND AKWA-IBOM STATE ?
Re: 5 Nigerian Cities That Are Affordable For Average And Low Income Earners by futurerex: 1:23pm On Sep 23, 2016
Bauch all the way...

(1) (Reply)

Travellers Scramble For Cheap FX At Travelex / Bende Lga, Towns, Areas & Streets Zip And Postal Codes - Abia State / Nigerians In INDIA, Please Show Face Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.