Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,401 members, 7,808,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:56 AM

Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga (23945 Views)

What Really Caused The Nigerian Civil War Of 1967 - 1969? / Photo: Tinubu And Atiku Hug And Laugh: What Could Have Caused The Excitement? / Amaechi And Jonathan: What Caused The Rift ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Akwasi(m): 11:24am On Oct 13, 2009
I was an infant. I dont recollect any of it. I was lucky to be outside Ghana that time. I never felt the famine. All these I was told. I understand all except one.
Its the famous 'Ghana Must Go' issue. My parents told me Ghana first sent the Nigerians away when times were good for Ghana. After Nigeria fought and diecovered their oil, they also sent the Ghanaians back. What made this really painful for the Ghanaians was that there were famine already on their dear land when they returned. Unfortunately, most of the effects associated with famine caught up with them.

Can someone really tell me the whole story? Did Nigeria send only Ghanaians away or all foreigners? Was it a revenge for the 'Nigeria Must Go' earlier or was it as my parents told me as a result of the jealousy of the Nigerians then of the Ghanaians because they were academically well poised than the Nigerains.

Please serious contributors only. No Insult
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by ikeyman00(m): 11:41am On Oct 13, 2009
@@@@

ur papa and grannies??
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Akwasi(m): 11:49am On Oct 13, 2009
Thanx for ur post grin
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Abagworo(m): 11:51am On Oct 13, 2009
@akwasi.i should be less than 6yrs when that  event took place but i bet you the military government must have done that to give nigerians the false impression that the increasing poverty was as a result of influx of foreigners of which ghanians who were our closest brothers had the highest population.it is still happening in our backward africa.especially south africa.

1 Like

Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by nex(m): 12:05pm On Oct 13, 2009
@Abagworo

are you sure about the information you posted?
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by WilyWily: 12:25pm On Oct 13, 2009
@Akwasi
Brother,
Africans most be their Brothers keeper, help each other and look after each other in times of plenty and in times of less.
In Africa their are Wicked Africans, driven by envy and Jealousy commites crime against humanity.
In Nigeria their is a tribe call Yoruba, because of rosy achievement of Ghanaians living in their mist, then came the jealousy and hatred towards them by these tribe.
All their unemployment problem and their lack of competitiveness in business field, became a caused by Ghanaians.
Beating and rendering insults on Ghana people in the street of Lagos became order of the day.
when their jealousy towards Ghana people can no more be curtail, Yoruba leaders and politicians lead by one Mr Awolowo persuaded an Hausa/Fulani man called Shagari to deport our Fellow African Brothers.

9 Likes

Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Akwasi(m): 12:43pm On Oct 13, 2009
WilyWily:

@Akwasi
Brother,
Africans most be their Brothers keeper, help each other and look after each other in times of plenty and in times of less.
In Africa their are Wicked Africans, driven by envy and Jealousy commites crime against humanity.
In Nigeria their is a tribe call Yoruba, because of rosy achievement of Ghanaians living in their mist, then came the jealousy and hatred towards them by these tribe.
All their unemployment problem and their lack of competitiveness in business field, became a caused by Ghanaians.
Beating and rendering insults on Ghana people in the street of Lagos became order of the day.
when their jealousy towards Ghana people can no more be curtail, Yoruba leaders and politicians lead by one Mr Awolowo persuaded an Hausa/Fulani man called Shagari to deport our Fellow African Brothers.

Thanx WilyWily. But what baffles me is why was it only Ghana? I think other nationals were in Nigeria too.

2 Likes

Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by WilyWily: 12:47pm On Oct 13, 2009
=wickedness
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by WilyWily: 12:43pm On Oct 14, 2009
Akwasi:

But what baffles me is why was it only Ghana? I think other nationals were in Nigeria too.
Yorubas singled out Ghanaian because, they believed Ghana people living in Lagos were prospering.
Any one in this country that tells you, the deportation and humiliation of Ghanaians was a policy of all Nigerians, that is Total False. The deportation didn't happen in South-South nor South East, it happened only in all Yoruba Land, that tells you what was up. The Deportation was orchestrated and Spearheaded by Yorubas, with their illustrious son Mr Awolowo as the symbol.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by citizenY(m): 2:29pm On Oct 14, 2009
@ posters.

I hereby urgeour yoruba folk not to dignify Wily Wily with a reaction. Let him do
a dialogue with himself.

Worda are tools , weapons and signatures. Effective use shows intelligence and enable s the
person interacting with you to decode your personality and treat you with respect.

Wily Wily has already failed woefully i this respect. I had to take pains to go through 70 of his
posts to get to this conclusion. HE is not worth the bother, I tell you.

I have old him elsewhere that he has sausage in his skull for brains and he has gradually started
grilling and eating them. He is on a binge at the moment. This explain the exhibition you are witnessing here.

Thank You

6 Likes

Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 14, 2009
wilywily must still be weak from Ramadan fasting.

2 Likes

Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by WilyWily: 5:08pm On Oct 14, 2009
@Citizen Y.
Now i noticed you support Evil,
You are supporting Yorubas for carrying out this inhumane treatment against our fellow African Brothers Ghanaians.
Even Ghanaians that didn't want to go back because their Children knew no other place than Lagos which they called home, Yorubas draged them out on the street and beat them up, Ghanian women and their Children were Crying  but these people didn't show no mercy. All were documented.
P/z Citizen Y, Don't support Evil so that it will not come to you.
Tell me if there behaviours against our African Brothers are right.
Check this out, In Nigeria today Hausa/Fulanis has shown to everyone openly that they are Savages for life, but what people don't know is, in the western Nigeria exist the most secret Dangerours poisonous Savages of all black race.

8 Likes

Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by morpheus24: 7:45pm On Oct 14, 2009
WilyWily:

@Citizen Y.
Now i noticed you support Evil,
You are supporting Yorubas for carrying out this inhumane treatment against our fellow African Brothers Ghanaians.
Even Ghanaians that didn't want to go back because their Children knew no other place than Lagos which they called home, Yorubas draged them out on the street and beat them up, Ghanian women and their Children were Crying  but these people didn't show no mercy. All were documented.
P/z Citizen Y, Don't support Evil so that it will not come to you.
Tell me if there behaviours against our African Brothers are right.
Check this out, In Nigeria today Hausa/Fulanis has shown to everyone openly that they are Savages for life, but what people don't know is, in the western Nigeria exist the most secret Dangerours poisonous Savages of all black race.

SEE A YORUBA GUY PARTYING WITH GHANA BOYS !!

GHANA/NAIJA LETS GO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMjtmt5gR4U&feature=related
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by IniUbom(m): 6:34pm On Oct 15, 2009
samba boys!
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by WilyWily: 6:51pm On Oct 15, 2009
morpheus24:

SEE A YORUBA GUY PARTYING WITH GHANA BOYS !!

GHANA/NAIJA LETS GO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMjtmt5gR4U&feature=related
I pray Ghanaians Forgive Yorubas.

1 Like

Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by udezue(m): 6:54pm On Oct 15, 2009
WillyWilly gotta be right coz it never happened in the East. We still had Ghanian families I went to school with. It happened outside the East. The average Easterners won't support that coz we are too accomodating. We'll rather deport Northerners sef b4 we deport Ghanians and other foreigners.

4 Likes

Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Mamajama(m): 6:55pm On Oct 15, 2009
na shagari regime
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by mamagee6(f): 1:39am On Oct 16, 2009
Ghana must go home. grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by IniUbom(m): 5:57am On Oct 17, 2009
,mama-gee:

Ghana must go home. grin grin grin grin
Bad bele pesin no gree happi 4dem small pikin. Yaweh forgv dm
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Fhemmmy: 6:00am On Oct 17, 2009
Nigeria must waka is in the making, so you will be able to witness that one and feel for the ghana people of then
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Nobody: 8:39am On Oct 17, 2009
I will be glad if someone can come up to rebutt Willywilly's story with facts. In doing that, it will be justified to reply him with the same measure.

@Akwasi

On behalf of my family, I apologize to your family and to other Ghanaians who must have suffered great losses as a result of our then government's jealousy, wickedness and lack of vision. I hope you guys will find it in your heart to forgive us.

Having said that, I was less than 4 or 5 when that inhuman incident took place. The only thing I can remember is when my dad's best friend; Ali came to our house with his lovely wife to bid us good bye. Little did I know they were being chased away like criminals.

Ali was one of the kindest human beings I've ever come across in my entire life.

1 Like

Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Abagworo(m): 12:00pm On Oct 17, 2009
Abagworo:

@akwasi.i should be less than 6yrs when that  event took place but i bet you the military government must have done that to give nigerians the false impression that the increasing poverty was as a result of influx of foreigners of which ghanians who were our closest brothers had the highest population.it is still happening in our backward africa.especially south africa.

mistake.i wasn't born then and it wasnt under a military regime but at least it was a very unwise decision.nigeria needs to apologize or show some remorse for that crime against our fellow black men.
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Busybody2(f): 2:23pm On Oct 17, 2009
Chei, see misinformation, the OP rightly acknowledged that Ghana started it by chasing Nigerians out of their Country and Nigerians only reciprocated years later, yet all some nitwit is trying to tell us is that they should hang the Yorubas who are the sole perpetrator of all things evil in this world, and once the Yorubas have been exterminated and expunged, then the world would be at peace and famine and pestilence and war and genocide and natural disasters would be a thing of the past, what a genius undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Abagworo(m): 2:41pm On Oct 17, 2009
WilyWily:

@Akwasi
Brother,

hmmm.this is a grave allegation.do you have evidences to back this up?if this is true,then many things i've read on nairaland could be true.
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Liedetect: 3:12pm On Oct 17, 2009
Title: The role of Yoruba commercial migration in West African development.

POPLINE Document Number: 050968

Author(s):

Sudarkasa N

Source citation:

In: African migration and national development, edited by Beverly Lindsay. University Park, Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania State University Press, 1985. :40-63.

Abstract:

This paper examines the role of Yoruba commercial migrants in contemporary West African regional trade, from the late 19th century to the present and focuses on a group of migrants who voluntarily left Nigeria to work in Ghana from the late 19th century through the 1960s. Most were forcibly repatriated between November 1969 and January 1970. Taxation and the monied economy forced millions of Yoruba to resettle in different parts of Nigeria; many also tried their luck in Ghana and other countries. Yoruba saw the opportunities that existed in the commercial sector of Ghana to trade Nigerian textiles for Ghanaian Kola and create a new niche for middlemen. Yoruba traders have served as intermediaries between African producers in different countries, as traders who sold overseas goods in small lots, as brokers buying cash crops, and as craftsmen who traded with their machines. In 1960 100,560 Yorubas lived in Ghana, 1.5% of that country's population; nearly 84% of these Yoruba were traders. Yoruba men were 20% of the male traders in Ghana; Yoruba women comprised only 6% of the female traders in Ghana. Yorubas traded imported provisions and sundries, hardware and parts, pots and pans, clothing, shoes and sandals, meat and fish, vegetables, herbs, cloth, bread, and prepared foods; they were, however, excluded from trading wholesale agricultural staples, especially yams and plantains. Most Yoruba traders were small-scale operators whose capital ranged from a few cedis to a few hundred. Yoruba retail traders generally preferred to buy goods from other Yorubas, because of better understanding of bargaining practices and language. Most Yoruba traders had at least 1 assistant, often a young relative. Most had switched trades or commodities at least once; they were very responsive to market conditions. In November 1969, the Ghanian government issued an edict expelling all African aliens; Yoruba traders were being used as a scapegoat for Ghana's economic ills. The Ghanaians mistook numbers and visibility for economic exploitation. The Yorubas created jobs and distributed goods; the economic situation worsened after their expulsion.
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 17, 2009
is the OP sure he's Ghanaian and not a Nigerian trouble maker?
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Liedetect: 3:22pm On Oct 17, 2009

Author(s):

Sudarkasa N

Source citation:

In: African migration and national development, edited by Beverly Lindsay. University Park, Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania State University Press, 1985. :40-63.

Abstract:

This paper examines the role of Yoruba commercial migrants in contemporary West African regional trade, from the late 19th century to the present and focuses on a group of migrants who voluntarily left Nigeria to work in Ghana from the late 19th century through the 1960s. Most were forcibly repatriated between November 1969 and January 1970. Taxation and the monied economy forced millions of Yoruba to resettle in different parts of Nigeria; many also tried their luck in Ghana and other countries. Yoruba saw the opportunities that existed in the commercial sector of Ghana to trade Nigerian textiles for Ghanaian Kola and create a new niche for middlemen. Yoruba traders have served as intermediaries between African producers in different countries, as traders who sold overseas goods in small lots, as brokers buying cash crops, and as craftsmen who traded with their machines. In 1960 100,560 Yorubas lived in Ghana, 1.5% of that country's population; nearly 84% of these Yoruba were traders. Yoruba men were 20% of the male traders in Ghana; Yoruba women comprised only 6% of the female traders in Ghana. Yorubas traded imported provisions and sundries, hardware and parts, pots and pans, clothing, shoes and sandals, meat and fish, vegetables, herbs, cloth, bread, and prepared foods; they were, however, excluded from trading wholesale agricultural staples, especially yams and plantains. Most Yoruba traders were small-scale operators whose capital ranged from a few cedis to a few hundred. Yoruba retail traders generally preferred to buy goods from other Yorubas, because of better understanding of bargaining practices and language. Most Yoruba traders had at least 1 assistant, often a young relative. Most had switched trades or commodities at least once; they were very responsive to market conditions. In November 1969, the Ghanian government issued an edict expelling all African aliens; Yoruba traders were being used as a scapegoat for Ghana's economic ills. The Ghanaians mistook numbers and visibility for economic exploitation. The Yorubas created jobs and distributed goods; the economic situation worsened after their expulsion.
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Liedetect: 3:26pm On Oct 17, 2009

Author(s):

Sudarkasa N

Source citation:

Abstract:

Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Liedetect: 3:43pm On Oct 17, 2009
[size=14pt]

Moderator why was my post deleted, the one about Nigerian influence in Ghana before being kicked out by the Ghanaians. But small wily is allowed to post derogatory remarks on the board about Nigerians[/size]
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Nobody: 3:46pm On Oct 17, 2009
they'll blame it on the spambot.

I also have a long article I want to post after the OP answers my question.

If he's not too afraid to do so.
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Liedetect: 3:58pm On Oct 17, 2009
[size=14pt]Since it has become obvious that people come on this board disguised as Nigerians in order to attack Nigerians without being attacked back, the logical next step is to suppose that this board is a counterfeit. In other words a board created by Ghanaians pretending to be Nigerians not withstanding the claim to the contrary.  Furthermore, I can imagine that they are the one who full up the board having arguments amongst themselves as if it were Nigerians against other people and then Nigerians see what is happening they come in to add their own stuff not knowing that they are being duped.
[/size]
Re: Who Caused The 'Ghana Must Go' Saga by Nobody: 4:03pm On Oct 17, 2009
other countries disguise as Nigerians, Nigerians disguise as other countries. On NL.

Both generally do so in order to attack Nigeria.

no be today.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING: National Assembly Calls Off Tuesday Reconvening / Jonathan Was Under Pressure To Prosecute Buhari Over Certificate, Says Adoke / Buhari Has Been Caged Physically And Spiritually – Northern Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.