Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,995 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:50 AM

Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award (18099 Views)

Beautiful South African Lady Celebrates Herself As She Became A Private Pilot / Toyosi Craig Wins Most Outstanding Student Award In South Africa (Photos) / Meet Omotoyosi Craig _nigerian Student Who Won A Prestigious South African Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by bunmioguns(m): 10:29am On Sep 24, 2016
A young, passionate Nigerian, Toyosi Craig was recently honoured with the YOUNG RESEARCHER OF THE YEAR AWARD 2016 in South Africa. The award, which is dubbed Renewable Energy Research Excellence Award (RERE), is jointly organised by Renewable Energy Centre of Research and Development (RECORD), and South African National Energy Association (SANEA).

According to the organisers, the award “recognises the contribution of young upcoming researchers to renewable energy in South Africa”, and it is given on the basis of merit, innovation, novelty and applicability.

Elevated Sight Magazine caught up with Toyosi Craig, who opened up on a number of issues bothering on his experiences in South Africa and some of the challenges young people are confronted with in Nigeria. Read, enjoy and don’t forget to share!

ESM: Can we meet you?

Toyosi: My name is Toyosi Craig. I am a Nigerian. I am an engineer. I do innovation management and systems analysis. I am currently doing a PhD in engineering management with a special focus on solar energy, in Stellenbosch University, South Africa. I am more of an advocate for good governance and good citizenship and helping others help themselves.

ESM: Why South Africa?

Toyosi: Like a friend would say, I left Nigeria without combing my hair. I initially came here for a Master’s degree in Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering in 2014 and I have been around since then. I have led a lot of inventions and innovations in Nigeria, for which I couldn’t find any support or funding. I initiated a lot of Startups. Some of them include: a pounded yam making machine that pounds two man-size meal in 20 seconds; conversion of Jatropha seed oil to make diesels; making of tiles from sawdust and used pure water sachets, among many others. But as you know, no one was ready to support. Nigerian society and multinationals only fund upcoming dancers, musicians, models and the likes.

ESM: Tell us about your experiences so far in South Africa

Toyosi: The truth is I never expected what I met in SA. I initially wanted to go to Canada or UK, which my parents couldn’t afford. But I really thank God I am here. Getting to know that some of the schools here are world class; I am fully funded, my research group for example invented some solar heliostat ahead of Google engineers. We have jet fighters that we work on. There are innumerable drones, a micro satellite in the space, what else do you want as an engineer. The computers available are almost 80% of the student population in number, just to mention a few.

ESM: Tell us about the recent award you received

Toyosi: To God be the glory, I was honoured as the young researcher of the year in the energy sector of South Africa.

My Master’s degree project was an innovation, which was widely appraised around the world. It is a parabolic solar cooker that tracks the sun and can cook at night or when there is no sun because it saves heat. The system was adapted for African conditions and can be used to set up small heat based factories in rural areas. Also, it eliminates the solar cooker users’ exposure to sun as the cooking section is separated from the heat receiver.

ESM: What would you consider as significant difference in studying in South Africa as against Nigeria?

Toyosi: SA takes education as a priority and their educational system is highly funded and all research have focus and applications, either industry based, public sector based or for the societal good. They have structures and great research policies.

The truth is SA is far ahead when it comes to Research, because the government, the industries and the universities are on top of their games and working together. I promise you, we have the population who are willing to go to school in Nigeria but there is very little support. The reverse is the case in SA.

ESM: Are you looking forward to contributing to the development of Nigeria and in what area?

Toyosi: Contributing to Nigeria and Africa as a whole is not just my dream but my destiny. I believe my calling is to wipe out hunger from Africa, which can be achieved through several approaches.

The first thing I am passionate about is giving identity to all Nigerians. It has failed many times, but without it we cannot plan. I have the model and I hope I can implement it someday, so that we can know each Nigerian and each person’s life can be valuable.

The second is electricity; we have made a lot of headway in Solar Energy and other renewable energies in South Africa. I am looking forward to helping in that area back home. I have actually sent a lot of documents home.

Lastly, some of our citizens are losing focus and are really depressed; you may not know but it is the truth. I hope I can inspire many to rediscover themselves. I was also frustrated sometimes ago, but I didn’t give up. We just need an enabling environment and we can be all we are meant to be. I believe Nigerians are the smartest people God made.

ESM: What do you think we can do to improve our educational system?

Toyosi: First thing, government should start giving university scholarships to as many students as possible to study AT HOME. We don’t have an education sector goal. As you can see, companies don’t trust our graduates because most lack required skills. It is fundamentally wrong for a high school graduate willing to study more, to not be able to, because there are no enough spaces in schools or because he/she cannot afford private schools. We are yet to get it right yet. It’s not supposed to be difficult for a high school student to graduate and proceed to higher institution for his/her primary discipline of interest. In SA, if you do well in your matric (equivalent to our WAEC and NECO), you will not only study your dream course, you will also be funded 100%.

Education is expensive no doubt, but we have to decide whether or not we want the best for our people. We need proper structures that would encourage research. There is a lot to do. And we haven’t started yet.

ESM: What are your plans for the future?

Toyosi: My plan is simple; wipe hunger out of Africa. This has to start with Nigeria. We have the largest population, abundant natural resources, an amazing weather, and fertile soil. Whatever would help reposition Nigeria, and for Nigerians to achieve their maximum potentials, that I am committed to doing to the best of my ability and capacity.

http://www.elevatedsightng.com/nigerian-student-wins-a-prestigious-south-african-award/

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by holluphemydavid(m): 10:31am On Sep 24, 2016
Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by opulus: 3:18pm On Sep 24, 2016
This is great for the man carrying the Nationality of our noble nation.

However i was disenchanted by his crestfallen statements about our country. To say that there are many ingenious minds like his overhere who are demured by our government.And we will continue to lose glories of great adroitness to other countries if we continue in this way of pauparism.

6 Likes

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by Kizyte(m): 3:18pm On Sep 24, 2016
The problem we have in Nigeria is simply impatience. We were in a hurry to gain independence, that was why we didn't allow Britain to fully teach and develop us before fighting for freedom. Now that we are on our own, what have we achieved since 1960 till date?

It pains my heart to know that very little attention is paid to important sectors of this country, especially education and sports, yet we have Ministers whose works are only to make a lot of noise and less action. cry

This guy above me doesn't know that I don't understand his big big grammar...

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by handysuzy(f): 3:19pm On Sep 24, 2016
Congrats

1 Like

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by Nobody: 3:19pm On Sep 24, 2016
Nice, next is citizenship shocked
Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by adekayo1234(m): 3:19pm On Sep 24, 2016
Not surprised, a Nigerian from the..... Waiting for f***ies to pour their hate as usual

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by Emilokoiyawon: 3:20pm On Sep 24, 2016
cool [size=18pt]Omo' Odua ALWAYS leading while others follow[/size] cool

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by Afriifa(m): 3:20pm On Sep 24, 2016
claim ownership and you will be dull forever
Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by africanjink(m): 3:21pm On Sep 24, 2016
Congrats

2 Likes

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by Nobody: 3:21pm On Sep 24, 2016
Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by docmoses(m): 3:22pm On Sep 24, 2016
Hmm

1 Like

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by tdayof(m): 3:22pm On Sep 24, 2016
Toyosi: Like a friend would say, I left Nigeria without combing my hair. I initially came here for a Master’s degree in Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering in 2014 and I have been around since then. I have led a lot of inventions and innovations in Nigeria, for which I couldn’t find any support or funding. I initiated a lot of Startups. Some of them include: a pounded yam making machine that pounds two man-size meal in 20 seconds; conversion of Jatropha seed oil to make diesels; making of tiles from sawdust and used pure water sachets, among many others. But as you know, no one was ready to support. Nigerian society and multinationals only fund upcoming dancers, musicians, models and the likes.

The truth is SA is far ahead when it comes to Research, because the government, the industries and the universities are on top of their games and working together. I promise you, we have the population who are willing to go to school in Nigeria but there is very little support. The reverse is the case in SA.

You all can see the origin of Nigeria problem? Alot of talented Nigerians but nothing to show off due to the govt inability to encourage research and development. To all damn tribalist on this thread, better learn to reason well. The guy doesn't even give a damn about tribe what he cares about is where to suucesfully.

19 Likes

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by holluwai(m): 3:23pm On Sep 24, 2016
Nice one

2 Likes

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by Yeligray(m): 3:24pm On Sep 24, 2016
GOOD JOB BRO.

2 Likes

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by photoshoot(m): 3:24pm On Sep 24, 2016
[size=14pt]Omo Yoruba[/size]

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by Phonefanatic: 3:25pm On Sep 24, 2016
Nigeria is a disgrace. Just imagine the excellence and records the youths achieve schooling abroad yet our Government don't care to invest on education. Nigeria have the manpower and brains to be a superpower but no the foolish politicians rather loot, send their kids to study in a better country and when they are back they take over political offices just to start over the circle.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by leyemok(m): 3:25pm On Sep 24, 2016
A good one there boy.
Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by Horlaidex(m): 3:26pm On Sep 24, 2016
Nice
Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 24, 2016
Toyosi Craig

Na we sophisticated Afonjas.
Omo Odua rere

Ipobians/Haters be like...

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by foody(f): 3:29pm On Sep 24, 2016
Congrats bros.
keep paying your tithe , This is just the beginning of what God is going to do for you

2 Likes

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by olsamlaw(m): 3:30pm On Sep 24, 2016
Nice one bro, these are what we need. God help us in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by Olachase(m): 3:30pm On Sep 24, 2016
Buh the dude handsome sha resemble Adekule-gold and good for him....... Meanwhile bread #250 no day belle full me again hoooooooooo pls what can I do

2 Likes

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by alegbeleye(m): 3:31pm On Sep 24, 2016
Here in Nigeria; Youths are thriving to develop the music industry, rant on social media, criticise the govt.... . In a simple term: everybody wants to make quick money.

7 Likes

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by MzMercie: 3:32pm On Sep 24, 2016
Congrats bro

1 Like

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by Nobody: 3:32pm On Sep 24, 2016
Nigerian society and multinationals only fund upcoming dancers, musicians, models and the likes.

This is where we missed it as a country.. Globacom,airtel,Guiness and d likes will not fund people with vision to improve d country.na to dey carry 20m giv stupid yeyebrities dem sabi. And u wonder y we arent developed despite our potentials. Smh.

1 Like

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by Pavore9: 3:34pm On Sep 24, 2016
"I have led a lot of inventions and innovations in Nigeria, for which I couldn’t find any support or funding. I initiated a lot of Startups. Some of them include: a pounded yam making machine that pounds two man-size meal in 20 seconds; conversion of Jatropha seed oil to make diesels; making of tiles from sawdust and used pure water sachets, among many others. But as you know, no one was ready to support. Nigerian society and multinationals only fund upcoming dancers, musicians, models and the likes".......Development is very far from us!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by omusiliyu(m): 3:36pm On Sep 24, 2016
Of the greatest Futarian

5 Likes

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by MrMcJay(m): 3:38pm On Sep 24, 2016
The young man has stated the whole truth. We need to change our educational system if we are to achieve meaningful growth.

2 Likes

Re: Toyosi Craig Wins South African Award by serikiYCU(m): 3:39pm On Sep 24, 2016
Every serious Nation makes education and research a priority. But reverse is the case in Nigeria. Our citizens now depend o the research funds from other countries. Why can't our government and other companies fund research works. Rather, MTN and Co will only be comfortable funding music an some irrelevant festivities. For months now i've been searching for international organizations to fund my research work instead of looking inward. When are we getting there?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Covenant University Graduate Goes Missing In Lagos State (Photo) / Post-utme Past Questions Free (unilag, Oau, Osun University) / Nigerian Student Wins AIT University's Best Graduating Student Of The Year Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.