Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,598 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:02 PM

No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari (7239 Views)

Barrister Ben Onwuka, Self Acclaimed Biafra President Arrested In 2014 (Photos) / "No Referendum, No 2019 Election In South-East" - Nnamdi Kanu / I Don’t Want To Be Biafra President— Nnamdi Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Justiceleague1: 7:05am On Sep 25, 2016
mrvitalis:

If am igbo may u never know peace oya say amen
If am not igbo may I never know peace

get lost abeg..u are igbo,ur place in the evil forest is sealed already..tufiakwa!

See human being!

8 Likes

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by CSTR2: 7:39am On Sep 25, 2016
/
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by discusant: 8:03am On Sep 25, 2016
Does President Buhari have any right to say what he said?. This is a president that does not understand his limitations in law.

If the more than 70 million Biafrans say they want to leave Nigeria today, only option left for Buhari is declare war against them.

2 Likes

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Doghari: 8:03am On Sep 25, 2016
kropotkin2:
Mr Dog try any nonsense and see how he smiles grin grin

We are happy how crocodiles smile when hausa zombies in Army uniform are killed and thrown into the creek waters. Who wouldn't smile at free meals. grin grin

When will doghari lead the army in the creeks as he promised. Why is the coward afraid of visiting the creeks? grin grin

4 Likes

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by ofeoilly: 8:29am On Sep 25, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

U don dey fear life in Sharia republic of Arewa?

I think say una islam pass Saudi Arabia own.

In Charly Boy voice, Oga Prezident, na 4 ur hand Nigeria and Nigerians go die.

Nigeria will die in your hands.

1 Like

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by iconaus: 8:53am On Sep 25, 2016
This is good development . Now Buhari is calling Nnandi kanu and co activists . No more criminals or terrorists therefore he has to be released unconditionally . Is changing . So here you guys in NL should regard them as activists

2 Likes

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by ofeoilly: 8:58am On Sep 25, 2016
iconaus:
This is good development . Now Buhari is calling Nnandi kanu and co activists . No more criminals or terrorists therefore he has to be released unconditionally . Is changing . So here you guys in NL should regard them as activists

lollz! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin lwkmfho!

Buhari missed the golden opportunity to negotiate, rather he went to UN to make a declaration.

Wen will he understand that this is a Democracy not Dictatorship?

Democracy means people get wat they want and not Buhari get wat he want.

Power of the people, by the people and for the people and not power of buhari, by buhari and for buhari.

Buhari will create Biafra by his words and action, he is already at the UN discussing Biafra and those are the people with the mandate to recognise new state.

Force and violence achieves nothing rather it makes a bad situation worst. The force used on Biafra protesters was unnecessary and excessive. They were peaceful and their was room for dialogue and diplomacy. Now Biafra is not negotiable.

Buhari refused to negotiate earlier, but rather opted to satisfy his taste for Igbo Blood, and by so doing, he povided us with evidence to take to the ICC and UN, now he is begging 4 political party, nobody will do that, we will continue with wat we are doing. We are almost there.

4 Likes

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by ak47mann(m): 9:05am On Sep 25, 2016
Biafra gives them sleepless nights and they hate the indigenous people of Biafra to the bone but when the indigenous people want out they panic... Something must be wrong with these people most of them need Brian diagnoses is not normal cool
Reason many serious Biafran activist are not going strong on Nigeria because hatred from Nigerian's before shows clearly that they are pure jealous beings,they hate the progress of Igbos, because they cant compete with Igbos.
The reason Nigeria experiencing peace is that they avoid causing breakdown order in Biafran communities which can trigger what is in the process to finally destroy the zoo cool

4 Likes

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by ITbomb(m): 9:33am On Sep 25, 2016
mrvitalis:

I am an mbaise man and I don't think restructuring will solve the problem.. . There is no hindrance stopping any state from improving there IGR.. . What we need is for the masses to vote the right candidate devoid of party ethnicity and tribe
What's stopping Abia state from developing aba?? What's stop Benue from establishing state farms...
Nigerians are not smart (majority of them) And they vote people of their class. .. That's the problem... When we start voting the right people we will see the difference
Vote nnamdi Kanu as Governor of Abia and watch him show his true colour. .
Restructuring will not do anything.. . I can't see any way it can help
Restructuring will change everything for the better bro.

Necessity maketh a man.

As long as free money is flowing from Abuja, Benue cannot establish state farms, Abia cannot develop Aba.
Here is the logic. When a government understand that it is relying on IGR, it will concentrate more on making the area investor friendly to attract investment which drives up revenue but when you are sure of monthly allowances when you are virtually doing nothing than paying salaries and giving contracts to friends, there's no motivation to develop assets especially those that have long term returns.

You are right about Kanu, vote him in when we are still relying on Abuja, he will use the money to settle himself and build his war chest but I he understands that if he doesn't build roads, open up the state and attract investment, he might not be able to pay salaries, he will sit up
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by mrvitalis(m): 9:42am On Sep 25, 2016
ITbomb:

Restructuring will change everything for the better bro.

Necessity maketh a man.

As long as free money is flowing from Abuja, Benue cannot establish state farms, Abia cannot develop Aba.
Here is the logic. When a government understand that it is relying on IGR, it will concentrate more on making the area investor friendly to attract investment which drives up revenue but when you are sure of monthly allowances when you are virtually doing nothing than paying salaries and giving contracts to friends, there's no motivation to develop assets especially those that have long term returns.

You are right about Kanu, vote him in when we are still relying on Abuja, he will use the money to settle himself and build his war chest but I he understands that if he doesn't build roads, open up the state and attract investment, he might not be able to pay salaries, he will sit up
No that crude oil. Money is no longer flowing what are they doing
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Igboid: 9:45am On Sep 25, 2016
Nothing surprising there, Gowon and Nigeria both rejected calls by Ojukwu for referendum/ plebiscite in the Eastern region. They already know what the result of such referendum will yield, it will be something like 96%-4% against Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Igboid: 9:48am On Sep 25, 2016
mrvitalis:

If am igbo may u never know peace oya say amen
If am not igbo may I never know peace

You are not Igbo, and yes, you will never know peace unless you stop this your impersonation.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by dionma: 9:57am On Sep 25, 2016
This is the president view. Some will agree while some will disagree. I have always believed in a political solution to the Biafra not confrontation or in the worst case war. You may disagree with him but the president view offers a peaceful, democratic solution to the biafran issue.
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by mrvitalis(m): 10:13am On Sep 25, 2016
Igboid:

You are not Igbo, and yes, you will never know peace unless you stop this your impersonation.
Amen. . And u will never know peace.. because I am from IBEKU OKWATO aboh mbaise LGA of imo state... May it be Unto u as u have proclaimed
The imidiate past prison boss is my Uncle.. We are from the same compound and answer same name.. . Lol.. U just placed a caures on ur head
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by ITbomb(m): 10:16am On Sep 25, 2016
mrvitalis:

Now that crude oil money is no longer flowing what are they doing
Edited, I hope that's what you meant.

This is a big fallacy, crude oil money is still very much flowing,
Understand this
What do we have today? Oil at $48 per barrel
Throughout Obasanjo administration, oil did not pass $50. But we was able to take us from the dark days of massive corruption and looting under the military to the little achievement we have today.

Now, what is the difference between then and now?

Then we cut our coat according to our size, we ran an economy with $50 per barrel, there was no 500 personal aides to governor or overbloated civil service. It was so stable that anything over $50 was termed excess crude revenue to be saved. GEJ created the sovereign wealth fund to save, Amaechi and his gang rose up and prefer the money to be spent. GEJ was regrettably a weak president and Amaechi had his way.

The money that was termed excess was now considered normal allocation. Contract amount escalated, number of personnel running government went up, people and government began to acquire more expensive taste.

Solution now is to revert back to a $50 per barrel economy instead of praying for oil prices to go up.
Downsize everything, presidential jets, clinics, number of aides, salaries of public officers, Senators, Governors etc,.

If this cannot be done, let's restructure and each state bears its cross

1 Like

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by mrvitalis(m): 10:27am On Sep 25, 2016
ITbomb:
Edited, I hope that's what you meant.

This is a big fallacy, crude oil money is still very much flowing,
Understand this
What do we have today? Oil at $48 per barrel
Throughout Obasanjo administration, oil did not pass $50. But we was able to take us from the dark days of massive corruption and looting under the military to the little achievement we have today.

Now, what is the difference between then and now?

Then we cut our coat according to our size, we ran an economy with $50 per barrel, there was no 500 personal aides to governor or overbloated civil service. It was so stable that anything over $50 was termed excess crude revenue to be saved. GEJ created the sovereign wealth fund to save, Amaechi and his gang rose up and prefer the money to be spent. GEJ was regrettably a weak president and Amaechi had his way.

The money that was termed excess was now considered normal allocation. Contract amount escalated, number of personnel running government went up, people and government began to acquire more expensive taste.

Solution now is to revert back to a $50 per barrel economy instead of praying for oil prices to go up.
Downsize everything, presidential jets, clinics, number of aides, salaries of public officers, Senators, Governors etc,.

If this cannot be done, let's restructure and each state bears its cross
If not being able to pay salaries fancy make the states think.. . I wonder what will

Smart people are not Interested in politics because they are not petrotic.. The few once who are are easily sidelines
A political class were bruce who was given 11bn and could only create 500 jobs is among the smartest people. .. Lol

Why should I waste 500 million to contest election and steal 15bn in 8 years that I can't spend openly while if I invest that money well 40bn of clean money is sure

What do u mean by restructuring regional government?? Lol
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by mabea: 10:46am On Sep 25, 2016
[quote author=mrvitalis post=49644377] If am igbo may u never know peace oya say amen If am not igbo may I never know peace [/quote. You don't need this.
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by mabea: 10:53am On Sep 25, 2016
mrvitalis:

I am an mbaise man and I don't think restructuring will solve the problem.. . There is no hindrance stopping any state from improving there IGR.. . What we need is for the masses to vote the right candidate devoid of party ethnicity and tribe
What's stopping Abia state from developing aba?? What's stop Benue from establishing state farms...
Nigerians are not smart (majority of them) And they vote people of their class. .. That's the problem... When we start voting the right people we will see the difference
Vote nnamdi Kanu as Governor of Abia and watch him show his true colour. .
Restructuring will not do anything.. . I can't see any way it can help
when do you think the people will start voting the right candidate? Another 56 years?

You people should face reality.

Mind you I'm neutral on this Biafra ish.

By the way it's hypocrisy for you to talk about party affiliation because you are every thing about apc.
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by mrvitalis(m): 11:09am On Sep 25, 2016
mabea:
when do you think the people will start voting the right candidate? Another 56 years?

You people should face reality.

Mind you I'm neutral on this Biafra ish.

By the way it's hypocrisy for you to talk about party affiliation because you are every thing about apc.
APC?? Lol.. No I am a supporter of Buhari not APC..

When he begin to keep centiments out of who we vote
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by mabea: 11:39am On Sep 25, 2016
mrvitalis:
APC?? Lol.. No I am a supporter of Buhari not APC..

When he begin to keep centiments out of who we vote
Good to know you support Buari but I think the right thing for Buari to do is to find way to handle this Biafra issue.Give them sense of belonging instead of waving it off and killing the protesters as if they don't matter.
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by mrvitalis(m): 1:00pm On Sep 25, 2016
mabea:
Good to know you support Buari but I think the right thing for Buari to do is to find way to handle this Biafra issue.Give them sense of belonging instead of waving it off and killing the protesters as if they don't matter.
South East is not in anyway special than any region.. What we want is equality and we are getting that... we gave Niger Delta special treatment yet they feel marginalised
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by mabea: 3:01pm On Sep 25, 2016
mrvitalis:

South East is not in anyway special than any region.. What we want is equality and we are getting that... we gave Niger Delta special treatment yet they feel marginalised
Equality? Not true. I hate to sound this way but I want to ask you, in all sincerity do you think that Buari cum our leaders would have given the same response/ treatment to the Biafrans if they were of northern extraction.
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by mrvitalis(m): 3:16pm On Sep 25, 2016
mabea:
Equality? Not true. I hate to sound this way but I want to ask you, in all sincerity do you think that Buari cum our leaders would have given the same response/ treatment to the Biafrans if they were of northern extraction.
Have u been to the north?? Is there any south East state without a university??
Which lack polytechnic?? Which state has the highest number is fedral civil service??

Yes there are some areas North benefits more than the east or south.. But there are also areas to make up for that

What I know of the North is this.. they hold there leaders accountable more than the south.. . A typical igbo man sees a political office holders as someone who God has blessed so he should enjoy.. When it get to key turn I will also enjoy

Which city was the first to the allowed to go off guide.. It was not lagos.. Nor Kano nor kaduna.. But our own aba. . Who fought against that's.. . Ooh our own brother from anambra
There is nothing like Biafra... it dose not exist. .. Buhari had told ipob what I have always said.. form a political party and press for ur demand that's the only way
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by cascarino(m): 4:46pm On Sep 25, 2016
SIRTee15:

so what exactly do u want buhari to do?
obviously he can't grant the SS/SE referendum because it's unconstitutional.........
Even, if he grants and conducts it anyway, the national assembly will kill it.........
Buhari can also be dragged to court where the Supreme Court will declare the referendum null and void.....
I think the first step is to insert a secession clause into our constitution......
and only the national assembly can do that.......
I know it's going to difficult, but at least that's a legal way to go about it......
then the SS/SE elected representatives need to get on board.......
without them, I seriously doubt this agitation will get the momentum it needs to push forward its agenda.....
except IPOB is hoping on international community to force the hand of the federal government to grant referendum.......
Oga I know you are a secondary school graduate. You should have known that the constitution of every nation is subordinate to the constitution of the United nations Organisation. Self determination is recognised by the UN for indigenious people and the way to obtain it is refrendum. So, refrendum is enshrined in the UN constitution as a medium for secession. Whether Nigerian constitution recognises it or not is inconsequential.

2 Likes

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Nobody: 5:15pm On Sep 25, 2016
Igboid:
Nothing surprising there, Gowon and Nigeria both rejected calls by Ojukwu for referendum/ plebiscite in the Eastern region. They already know what the result of such referendum will yield, it will be something like 96%-4% against Nigeria.
My good friend before a referendum can be held in any part of Nigeria our constitution has to be ammended. Buhari has no power to do this. Only 2/3rds of the National assembly and state legislators can do this. Buhari risks being impeached and imprisoned for such a serious infringment on the Nigerian constitution. I dont know why you Biafran activists fall so cheaply for IPOB propaganda which makes it seem that only Buhari stands in the way of the actualization of Biafra. You have more than just Buhari to contend with, you have Nigeria to reckon with
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Nobody: 5:18pm On Sep 25, 2016
cascarino:
Oga I know you are a secondary school graduate. You should have known that the constitution of every nation is subordinate to the constitution of the United nations Organisation. Self determination is recognised by the UN for indigenious people and the way to obtain it is refrendum. So, refrendum is enshrined in the UN constitution as a medium for secession. Whether Nigerian constitution recognises it or not is inconsequential.
This is very very false. Nation states are sovereign and are subject to no external interference in their internal affairs . Also self determination is not an absolute right, it is dependent on some certain conditions
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by gidgiddy: 7:20pm On Sep 25, 2016
kropotkin2:
My good friend before a referendum can be held in any part of Nigeria our constitution has to be ammended. Buhari has no power to do this. Only 2/3rds of the National assembly and state legislators can do this.

Not necessarily. The Amalgamation document, the very paper that created Nigeria, gave Nigeria a shelf life of 100 years. After this time, any of the indigenous ethnic nationalities that were forced into Nigeria by Lugard now reserve the right to stay or go. Therefore, Buhari may well be within his rights to use executive order to conduct a referendum.

Something similar happened in Hong Kong. Britain signed a document to administer Hong Kong for 99 years. After that time, the sovereignty of Hong Kong was restored where it was gotten from.
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Nobody: 8:39pm On Sep 25, 2016
gidgiddy:

Not necessarily. The Amalgamation document, the very paper that created Nigeria, gave Nigeria a shelf life of 100 years. After this time, any of the indigenous ethnic nationalities that were forced into Nigeria by Lugard now reserve the right to stay or go. Therefore, Buhari may well be within his rights to use executive order to conduct a referendum.

Something similar happened in Hong Kong. Britain signed a document to administer Hong Kong for 99 years. After that time, the sovereignty of Hong Kong was restored where it was gotten from.
No such paper agreement exits except in the figment of IPOB imagination. Also, Buhari has no executive powers under the 1999 constitution to put into motion Nigeria's dissolution. That would be high treason, of which he is aware about and lastly the agreement the British forced the Chinese to sign in 1899 is very different from the treaty the British forced on ancestors when they came calling towards the end of the 19th century.
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by gidgiddy: 9:13pm On Sep 25, 2016
kropotkin2:
No such paper agreement exits except in the figment of IPOB imagination. Also, Buhari has no executive powers under the 1999 constitution to put into motion Nigeria's dissolution. That would be high treason, of which he is aware about and lastly the agreement the British forced the Chinese to sign in 1899 is very different from the treaty the British forced on ancestors when they came calling towards the end of the 19th century.

But then, if a country such as Nigeria was put together by violence, fiat, coersion and without the consent of the indigenous people of the land by colonial masters, isn't it then incumbent on Government of that country to overturn that fraud by asking the people if they want to carry on together?

If an organisation is fraudulently created, what is then legal about the organisation?
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by SIRTee15: 6:41am On Sep 26, 2016
cascarino:

so u actually think UN will come down to SE/SS n conduct a referendum and then give secession without recourse to the central govt........

That's why I don't engage IPOB illiterates in any form of intellectual argument.........

do u know the number of restive regions globally agitating for a nation of their own, yet the parent nation ignores them while the UN remain indifferent.........
or u think its only biafra.....

get a book, read it and cure ur ignorance.......
or better still go and read about South Sudan referendum and learn how they achieve their independence.......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naivasha_Agreement

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Sudanese_independence_referendum,_2011

Pls do not mention me unless you've read the above link.....
or else I won't even bother deem u a reply.....
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by khSteel: 3:23pm On Sep 26, 2016
kropotkin2:
My good friend before a referendum can be held in any part of Nigeria our constitution has to be ammended. Buhari has no power to do this. Only 2/3rds of the National assembly and state legislators can do this. Buhari risks being impeached and imprisoned for such a serious infringment on the Nigerian constitution. I dont know why you Biafran activists fall so cheaply for IPOB propaganda which makes it seem that only Buhari stands in the way of the actualization of Biafra. You have more than just Buhari to contend with, you have Nigeria to reckon with

The quoted statement in bold is very false.

The constitution is designed to derive its legality from a referendum and not the other way round.

Referendum, 'Rights to Vote and Be Voted For' and 'Rights to Life' are inalienable rights of a people.

Go and read IPOB's response to Buhari, Biafra Referendum is not subject to Buhari decisions.

Just so you know, 'the State House of Assembly in the SE and some SS can have a joint session and call for a Referendum and Buhari can't do anything to stop it'.

There are so many different route to a particular destination, don't sit in your house and expect IPOB to follow a route of your choice which you and people like you have designed to frustrate a peoples' choice and shared ambition.

1 Like

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Nobody: 12:15am On Sep 28, 2016
khSteel:

The quoted statement in bold is very false.

The constitution is designed to derive its legality from a referendum and not the other way round.

Referendum, 'Rights to Vote and Be Voted For' and 'Rights to Life' are inalienable rights of a people.

Go and read IPOB's response to Buhari, Biafra Referendum is not subject to Buhari decisions.

Just so you know, 'the State House of Assembly in the SE and some SS can have a joint session and call for a Referendum and Buhari can't do anything to stop it'.

There are so many different route to a particular destination, don't sit in your house and expect IPOB to follow a route of your choice which you and people like you have designed to frustrate a peoples' choice and shared ambition.

Your SE state houses of assembly are subject to and are creations of the 1999 Nigerian constitution. They have no power to call for any binding referendum. You are so ignorant about how the Nigerian constitution works, as you are brainwashed by Radio Biafra propaganda. No referendum can ever hold without a constitutional amendment

Chapter I: General Provisions
Part I: Federal Republic of Nigeria
1. 1.
This Constitution is supreme and its provisions shall have binding force on the
authorities and persons throughout the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

The Federal Republic of Nigeria shall not be governed, nor shall any persons or
group of persons take control of the Government of Nigeria or any part thereof,
except in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution.
If any other law is inconsistent with the provisions of this Constitution, this
Constitution shall prevail, and that other law shall, to the extent of the
inconsistency, be void.

Constitutionality of legislation
2. 1.
Nigeria is one indivisible and indissoluble sovereign state to be known by the
name of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Do you now see as our constitution effectively outlaws any kind of dissolution of the union and authorizes the president to enforce this provision?

Now take a look at section 1.1 and tell me how your SE legislatures can have a joint session to violate section 2.1

https://www.constituteproject.org/constitution/Nigeria_1999.pdf?lang=en

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Inauguration Of Governance Support Group(gsg), South East Zone / Alleged N117bn Debt: I’m Not Afraid Of Any Probe, Says Fayose / Mid Term Report : Utomi, Others Rate Sanwo-Olu's Administration High

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.