Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:53 PM

No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari (7241 Views)

Barrister Ben Onwuka, Self Acclaimed Biafra President Arrested In 2014 (Photos) / "No Referendum, No 2019 Election In South-East" - Nnamdi Kanu / I Don’t Want To Be Biafra President— Nnamdi Kanu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by khSteel: 6:36am On Sep 28, 2016
kropotkin2:
Your SE state houses of assembly are subject to and are creations of the 1999 Nigerian constitution. They have no power to call for any binding referendum. You are so ignorant about how the Nigerian constitution works, as you are brainwashed by Radio Biafra propaganda. No referendum can ever hold without a constitutional amendment

Chapter I: General Provisions
Part I: Federal Republic of Nigeria
1. 1.
This Constitution is supreme and its provisions shall have binding force on the
authorities and persons throughout the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

The Federal Republic of Nigeria shall not be governed, nor shall any persons or
group of persons take control of the Government of Nigeria or any part thereof,
except in accordance with the provisions of this Constitution.
If any other law is inconsistent with the provisions of this Constitution, this
Constitution shall prevail, and that other law shall, to the extent of the
inconsistency, be void.

Constitutionality of legislation
2. 1.
Nigeria is one indivisible and indissoluble sovereign state to be known by the
name of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Do you now see as our constitution effectively outlaws any kind of dissolution of the union and authorizes the president to enforce this provision?

Now take a look at section 1.1 and tell me how your SE legislatures can have a joint session to violate section 2.1

https://www.constituteproject.org/constitution/Nigeria_1999.pdf?lang=en

First, what's the definition of a Referendum and its modalities?

Second, the state house of Assembly, are they the 'Representative of the People'...YES or NO?

Third, like I said earlier, "There are so many different route to a particular destination, don't sit in your house and expect IPOB to follow a route of your choice which you and people like you have designed to frustrate a peoples' choice and shared ambition"; what makes you think IPOB will subject itself to your constitution? A piece of paper fraudulently created by some group of men with zero inputs from the people of SE?

Fourth, your whole assertions are that Igbos/IPOB/others must subject themselves to the whips and caprices of your fraudulent 'Piece of Paper' - a 'Piece of Paper' that my people have holistically demonstrated against time over, which the Nigerian army have killed so many.

Fifth, a 'Referendum' is not subject to Constitutional Amendment, rather, a Constitutional Amendment is subject to a Referendum.
For your information, a Referendum is an act that gives legality to a 'Piece of Document' that can then be termed a 'Legal Constitution' just like a 'set of terms of agreement' is never binding until parties involved signed the document. Could you please furnish us the 'Terms of Reference' where Igbos/IPOB signed in agreement to your 'Piece of Document' through the global acceptable means of doing such which is a simple 'Referendum'? Until you do, quit embarrassing yourself on Biafra matters.

Get this, a Constitution is simply a 'Contract'; it is created to serve the people and never for the people to 'Serve the Contract'; so if your constitution is your only wild card to stopping the upcoming Biafra Referendum, you've got nothing.

BTW, State House of Assembly can initiate the process - All they need is get as much as 2-5 million signatures, hold a joint session and write to the UN, EU, AU and all foreign diplomatic missions.
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by 99100(m): 11:04am On Sep 28, 2016
mrvitalis:
No no that was no what igbos were saying
Yes yes that was what it is.
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Uteghe(m): 11:15am On Sep 28, 2016
KANU'S worst mistake is recruiting ILLITERATES to lie for him. They bungle the task.
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Nobody: 8:20pm On Sep 28, 2016
khSteel:

First, what's the definition of a Referendum and its modalities?

Dont tell me you don't know what a referendum is

Second, the state house of Assembly, are they the 'Representative of the People'...YES or NO?

All state houses of assembly are established by and are subject to the Nigerian 1999 constitution. No state house of assembly has the power to enact any law that contravenes any section of the constitution. For example, section 2.1

2. 1. Nigeria is one indivisible and indissoluble sovereign state to be known by the
name of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
How does any house of assembly get around that?

Third, like I said earlier, "There are so many different route to a particular destination, don't sit in your house and expect IPOB to follow a route of your choice which you and people like you have designed to frustrate a peoples' choice and shared ambition";
what makes you think IPOB will subject itself to your constitution?

The federal Republic of Nigeria doesn't care what IPOB thinks, but it sure does care what they do. When they came out on the streets in May this year, the government showed them what it could do. We haven't seen them on the streets again

A piece of paper fraudulently created by some group of men with zero inputs from the people of SE?

Fourth, your whole assertions are that Igbos/IPOB/others must subject themselves to the whips and caprices of your fraudulent 'Piece of Paper' - a 'Piece of Paper' that my people have holistically demonstrated against time over, which the Nigerian army have killed so many.

Until you do, quit embarrassing yourself on Biafra matters.

Fifth, a 'Referendum' is not subject to Constitutional Amendment, rather, a Constitutional Amendment is subject to a Referendum.
For your information, a Referendum is an act that gives legality to a 'Piece of Document' that can then be termed a 'Legal Constitution' just like a 'set of terms of agreement' is never binding until parties involved signed the document. Could you please furnish us the 'Terms of Reference' where Igbos/IPOB signed in agreement to your 'Piece of Document' through the global acceptable means of doing such which is a simple 'Referendum'?

You have a very skewed idea on how constitutions work in sovereign Nation states. All Nation states have constitutions that are supreme over all the abstractions you just spewed. Nothing and no one can be above the constitution of a sovereign state. Definitely not your referendum.
Get this, a Constitution is simply a 'Contract'; it is created to serve the people and never for the people to 'Serve the Contract'; so if your constitution is your only wild card to stopping the upcoming Biafra Referendum, you've got nothing.

BTW, State House of Assembly can initiate the process - All they need is get as much as 2-5 million signatures, hold a joint session and write to the UN, EU, AU and all foreign diplomatic missions.

And by the way this is most laughable part of IPOB propaganda that got your director in the predicament he finds himself in the first place. You Biafran agitators have no allies, you have no powerful friends, no nation state on earth recognizes your cause. You have no army. All you have is a radio station. The UN,EU,AU etc are not in the business of breaking up nation states. All those entities are allies of the Nigerian state. None of them will ever back any silly, ill advised secessionist venture. Face it man, your cause is doomed
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by Blue3k(m): 8:42pm On Sep 28, 2016
Even if referendum did happen most Biafra would lose. I don't think people on ground want it as much as minority on nairaland does. More people want to restructuring of country, political for resource control and more state control, economicly with economic freedom and privation of government assets that they woefully failed at running, accountability of political class and rule of law.

Curtailing power of govenors would be first step and demanding state legislature take more control of budget. Having state police and so on.

We talk ad nauseam about this on other forums. We know what to do. It just needs to be implemented then people will have no reason to fight over teat of government.
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by khSteel: 8:51am On Sep 29, 2016
[quote author=kropotkin2 post=49753837][/quote]

I had to ask you for the definition of 'Referendum' because you clearly sound like fish out of water; your understanding of the subject-matter is obviously very limited.

You have made several blunders in the course of this debate that I naturally had to question the capacity of whom I'm debating as you are yet to come up with any sound rhetoric to support your position.

Your long write-up contains only two element worth my response (i.e. Sovereignty and Killing of Unarmed Peaceful Biafran Protesters), the rest are just bunch of incoherent words put together hoping to confuse the audience but ended up showcasing your lack of depth of the subject-matter.

1. Sovereignty lies with the people and not with some bunch of fat jokers sitting in Abuja awarding all manner of allowances to themselves. And certainly not with some illegal "Piece of Document" sustained by the use of Force of the Nigerian army. I thought you were willing to test the legality of your constitution and its sovereignty without calling for the use of the Nigerian army in violent suppression of political dissenters.

2. Unarmed Peaceful Biafran Protesters:
The act of killing Unarmed Peaceful Protesters is VERY WRONG in all ramifications, you can gloat about it all you want. I condemn it in the most strongest terms whether your Buhari and his army is killing Unarmed Peaceful Biafran Protesters, Shiites, etc. It is wrong, it's undemocratic.

However, I agree with you on this point - the Nigerian Constitution is worthless, it can't give you a simple thing as 'Unity of Purpose'; hence, your president has to resolve to the use of the Nigerian army in violent suppression of political dissenters - killing human beings like you. These are same people you want as fellow countrymen/women, and you come online to gloat about Buhari killing your so-called countrymen/women. This is highly distasteful - honestly, I don't wish to be in the same country with people of your kind.

From my dealings with people from your corner of Nigeria, I have observed that you people always find a way to stand 'TRUTH' on its head just to sustain the undue economic advantage YOU enjoy in the current setup of Nigeria. You people always lie and twist facts just to cause confusion where there's none. Lie Mohammed lied all the way to the Presidency, after getting to Aso Rock, how market?
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by blazhykowskyi(m): 9:41am On Sep 29, 2016
SIRTee15:

so what exactly do u want buhari to do?
obviously he can't grant the SS/SE referendum because it's unconstitutional.........
Even, if he grants and conducts it anyway, the national assembly will kill it.........
Buhari can also be dragged to court where the Supreme Court will declare the referendum null and void.....
I think the first step is to insert a secession clause into our constitution......
and only the national assembly can do that.......
I know it's going to difficult, but at least that's a legal way to go about it......
then the SS/SE elected representatives need to get on board.......
without them, I seriously doubt this agitation will get the momentum it needs to push forward its agenda.....
except IPOB is hoping on international community to force the hand of the federal government to grant referendum.......

bro your post is the only sensible one I have seen. Buhari is only giving them a way out, but they are too filled with hate to see it.

Buhari is basically saying they should organise themselves in a political party and elect such party with separatist agenda. the representatives would then push for referendum and lobby other representatives from other regions to buy it.

trust me, it would work but it would take time.
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by gidgiddy: 10:28am On Sep 29, 2016
Blue3k:
Even if referendum did happen most Biafra would lose. I don't think people on ground want it as much as minority on nairaland does. More people want to restructuring of country, political for resource control and more state control, economicly with economic freedom and privation of government assets that they woefully failed at running, accountability of political class and rule of law.

Curtailing power of govenors would be first step and demanding state legislature take more control of budget. Having state police and so on.

We talk ad nauseam about this on other forums. We know what to do. It just needs to be implemented then people will have no reason to fight over teat of government.

Restructuring is not possible for the same reason Biafran referendum not possible. To get either of them, you have to get a 2 thirds majority in the National Assembly to pass the enabling law. You can bet that almost the entire north will vote against either restructuring or a Biafran referendum, and they control over half the votes. Restructuring is dead in the water.
Re: No-referendum for Biafra..................President-Buhari by orunto27: 11:19am On Sep 29, 2016
Mr.President is right.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

December Deadline Missed: Where Is The Lagos Light Rail? / NANS Disrupts Independence Celebration In Ibadan / Don’t Criticise My Varsity Fees – Oyedepo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.