Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,353 members, 7,800,706 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? (20502 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Back Home Hate On Nigerians Living Abroad Especially In The US / Nigerians In Syria, Are You Back Home?? / What Kind Of Gifts Should I Get For People Back Home? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by phuckNL: 8:59pm On Oct 22, 2009
Meldrick:

Again you prove me right when I say you visited Nigeria last in the 60's. I bought mine when I began working but go to our Universities here in Nigeria and see students using their personal laptops for their research work. I visited [size=30pt]Covenant University [/size] (Ota - Ogun State) and I was impressed. Please come down to Nigeria and pay a visit to that school and you will agree with me that the days Nigerians sing America wonders are over.

Ah! Ah!! Ah!!!, there u go again with the feeling that you have a stake in America. My dear obliterate that notion. Oh I can now see why u feel so comfortable in another man's land. If there are no true American's, why did they have to wait so long till 2008 before getting their first black president?

How many Nigerians can afford to go to Covenant University? shocked
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by yommyuk: 3:48pm On Oct 23, 2009
Hi Fellas.

why d fussing and fighting
If you r in nigeria and u doing well, Kudos and vice versa if u live in the west.
Let us all enjoyed the best of both worlds and give glory to God cool
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by na2day2(m): 4:40pm On Oct 23, 2009
yommyuk:

Hi Fellas.

why d fussing and fighting
If you r in nigeria and u doing well, Kudos and vice versa if u live in the west.
Let us all enjoyed the best of both worlds and give glory to God cool

well said sir wink wink
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by mevisbleek: 9:42am On Oct 24, 2009
for me, i am not in naija for nw, but i think that naija is better cos guy do u know hw many jobs u ve to do before u can be able to make good money, i know a nigerian woman that has lived in italy for 30years and she cant boast of 2 million naira while small boys workin in naija have 2m to spare. i dont know sha but this is my own opinion, my end point is still naija i cant stay in this town for long.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by DisGuy: 2:46pm On Oct 24, 2009
mevisbleek:

for me, i am not in naija for nw, but i think that naija is better cos guy do u know hw many jobs u ve to do before u can be able to make good money, i know a nigerian woman that has lived in italy for 30years and she cant boast of 2 million Naira while small boys working in naija have 2m to spare. I don't know sha but this is my own opinion, my end point is still naija i cant stay in this town for long.

sometimes we throw out very daft comment in haste!

You are comparing a woman who's probably got kids herself, paid school fees of several people back home in nigeria and perhaps Italy, send money every other months to relatives/friends and relatives, probably waited long time to get her papers after paying agents for her travels, you didnt tell us her qualifications before or after travelling to Italy
is the woman 30 or she's lived in Italy for 30?

small boy
rent= ?
how much does he send to the village and to how many people/month
Qualifications?

apples n oranges
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by mevisbleek: 3:41pm On Oct 24, 2009
@disguy i dont know y nigerians are so stupid, this thread is all about opinions and views, hw will someone say sometin and u call it daft u must be a bastard na people like u sell motor go abroad, if u like die for abroad wen u dey hustle, u stupid bastard, abroad do u know many bills u wld ve to pay, u list them out, na pple like u go stay for abroad 30years andhave notin to show for it.
My ppl in naija stay at home dont all pple like disguy deceive u with pictures of abroad, naija is better. Fafranculo
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by chiogo(f): 4:26pm On Oct 24, 2009
^^ LOL, so why aren't you in naija? undecided
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by DisGuy: 5:02pm On Oct 24, 2009
mevisbleek:

@disguy i dont know y nigerians are so stupid, this thread is all about opinions and views, hw will someone say sometin and u call it daft u must be a bastard na people like u sell motor go abroad, if u like die for abroad wen u dey hustle, u stupid bastard, abroad do u know many bills u wld ve to pay, u list them out, na pple like u go stay for abroad 30years andhave notin to show for it.
My ppl in naija stay at home dont all pple like disguy deceive u with pictures of abroad, naija is better. Fafranculo

yes the thread is about opinion and views- and considering you are not alone on the thread you should be open to views that goes against yours

How can you compare a grown up with loads of responsibilities to a young person in another environment

Yes I know how many bills people pay- they are not paying it for the sake of it they are paying it for using it!
You sound like you don't like paying your NEPA bills back home, you just notice people actually work for their money?

its only illiterates and stubborn people that don't seek informations that are fooled by pictures, i mean who in their right mind will sell their properties, leave their job to relocate to another country on Visiting visa at the very first chance
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by mevisbleek: 6:10pm On Oct 24, 2009
@disguy i didnt expect u to be that rude to a fellow guy but notin do u. Anywayz the woman has been leaving in italy for the past 30yrs and she doesnt have any responsibilties in naija. Guy i can talk like this cos i have worked in both environments both home nd abroad so i know what i am talkin about when i give the analysis but everytin is all about the favour of God, some pple will succeed abroad and some other will succeed at home. Its all good but pls next tyme be polite. Enjoy
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by SweetT1: 4:00pm On Oct 29, 2009
@Dappssee

What dignifying job is in Nigeria? that must be a crude joke, i bet you work in a bank, dont you? A fast food worker in the US lives better than you guys. What kinda job is that when you leave your house from sunrise to sunset and still has little to show for it? glorified slaves. Nigeria is in deep trouble and it's sad the govt. dont even know it. The only thing Nigerian depend on as a source of revenue is becoming useless. Most of Nigeria's customers are now looking for alternative means of energy. The whole banking collapse in Nigeria was due to the crash in Oil prices. By december, most bank workers are scheduled to lose thier jobs. One of my cousins works at one of the failed banks and it's sad to say that i had to wire him some money because the bank did not pay their salary for 1 month! and he is a family man. Nigerian Govt. workers go months between salaries. Unless something a miracle happens, Nigeria is headed for the rocks.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by SweetT1: 4:14pm On Oct 29, 2009
@t
chiogo:

LOL you just proved me right. You bought your laptop after you got a job in a company? Dear, people here start owning laptops from high school or at least before going to college. What's college without a laptop? Homework assignments are mostly on there. The only reason a college student here won't own a laptop is maybe because s(he) is one of those freaks who never see the need for such stuff, they'd rather go to the library even at midnight to use the computers there.

You and I know very well that it's only teens whose parents are financially stable that own laptops in Nigeria. Or the ones into yahoo-yahoo.

Anywayz, this wasn't my aim in the first place. Was just explaining what the other poster meant to the honeric guy. I'm not trying to bash Nigeria or what not. I've lived there so I know. As for your other posts  grin grin grin couldn't read the whole thing but anywayz, who are the so-called true Americans?? As far as I know, no one group owns America, that's why it's called the United States, true Americans my nyash!! Columbus stole it from the Indians, the whites used black, spanish, and many other ethnic groups to build the America we know today. Why do you think Indians get free education? Black, spanish, Asian, white, and other groups of people equally own America. so who cares? True Americans! LIMM.

@tourmaline

You are a clown! Nigeria is in a comatose. Nothing works in Nigeria, congratulations that you have a job but look at the ones you graduated with. I bet you graduated 4-5 years before landing a job. It is very sad when most Nigerians dont even realize how much trouble Nigeria is. The only thing Nigeria depends on is oil and the oil is being rubished by Nigeria's customers. US and other nations that buy oil from Nigeria are gradually shifting away from oil to alternative energy. Just yesterday alone i was reading in a Nigerian newspaper and they said oil revenue to Nigerian govt. fell by whopping %30! and that's for this year alone, %50 is projected for next year. I know of people that graduated for 7-8 years in Nigeria before landing a job. Nothing like being home but i would rather be  in a place that allow me to grow than being a slave in my own father's land!! I wish Nigeria well but it will take a miracle for this 49 year old idiot to to wake and smell the coffee. Nigeria is not even relevant withing West Africa.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Nignog: 7:49am On Oct 30, 2009
Nigeria be stank!!
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by yommyuk: 4:31am On Oct 31, 2009
Nigeria depends on is oil and the oil is being rubished by Nigeria's customers. US and other nations that buy oil from Nigeria are gradually shifting away from oil to alternative energy. Just yesterday alone i was reading in a Nigerian newspaper and they said oil revenue to Nigerian govt. fell by whopping %30! and that's for this year alone, %50 is projected for next year.

I do not why u people make a big deal about Oil.
What we should be advocating is less dependency on Oil.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by akinalabi(m): 4:30pm On Oct 31, 2009
Sweet T:

What dignifying job is in Nigeria? that must be a crude joke

A fast food worker in the US lives better than you guys.

The only thing Nigerian depend on as a source of revenue is becoming useless.

Most of Nigeria's customers are now looking for alternative means of energy.

most bank workers are scheduled to lose thier jobs. One of my cousins works at one of the failed banks and it's sad to say that i had to wire him some money because the bank did not pay their salary for 1 month! and he is a family man.

Nigerian Govt. workers go months between salaries.

Unless something a miracle happens, Nigeria is headed for the rocks.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by akinalabi(m): 4:33pm On Oct 31, 2009
Sweet T:

Nigeria is in a comatose.

Nothing works in Nigeria

I bet you graduated 4-5 years before landing a job.

The only thing Nigeria depends on is oil and the oil is being rubished by Nigeria's customers

oil revenue to Nigerian govt. fell by whopping %30! and that's for this year alone, %50 is projected for next year.

I know of people that graduated for 7-8 years in Nigeria before landing a job

it will take a miracle for this 49 year old idiot to to wake and smell the coffee

Nigeria is not even relevant withing West Africa.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by cvibe: 5:06pm On Oct 31, 2009
It's not about talking cos we all can. It's action backed up by determination that will get us there.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by ifele(m): 5:17pm On Oct 31, 2009
I am living in N. America my life is really messed up I wanna go somewhere I
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by ifele(m): 5:18pm On Oct 31, 2009
, where I can succeed. My people are holding me down in failure. May God punish my people.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by SweetT1: 7:55am On Nov 01, 2009
ifele:

Where in N.America do you live??
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by lovemoi2(f): 5:08am On Nov 02, 2009
:d
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by na2day2(m): 7:14am On Nov 02, 2009
ifele:

ifele:

, where I can succeed. My people are holding me down in failure. May God punish my people.

u mean, north ajegunle, USA (united states of ajegunle) grin grin grin
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Nignog: 7:51am On Nov 02, 2009
I still smell you Nigeria
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by lovemoi2(f): 10:16am On Nov 02, 2009
angry
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by paddylo1(m): 10:36am On Nov 12, 2009
The road in front of my house in Brooklyn was in good condition than Abuja so called good roads

big lie whoever wrote this, i went to school in abuja and i have been in NY even though i reside in philly now

Abuja has the best roads in africa and better than most roads i see in american cities i have visited(east coast)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=863866

a word for the naija bashers on this thread,instead of bashing go home and try add to the development of the next generation of young Nigerians,u should not be bashing the country of your birth just because u live in america,like someone said,where were u when black ppl were being lynched and killed just for being black in america? most blacks then where poorer or still poorer than nigerians but u had ppl like mohammed ali,malcolm x,rosa parks etc stand up for them
go and stand up for the child in Nigeria,or quit abusing their fatherland, i know am out of here in the next 2yrs so my plans are set to make a difference back home and u will never catch me badmouthing my country where i was born and where i will die, life is short u enjoy electricity,u drive in good road in america,then u die, what have u achieved,nonsense
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by chiogo(f): 7:24pm On Nov 12, 2009
^ You're obviously missing the point. Too much patriotism is not good sef. You've been to NY, whoever made the post specifically said "Brooklyn", which is supposedly a "hood" in NY. It's expected that the roads would be bad but somehow, it looks better than the roads of Abuja, the "capital". Wow! Should Brooklyn even be compared to Abuja? This has nothing to do with bad-mouthing the country rather calling a spade exactly what it is.

And yea, there are people who "bad-mouth" as you put it while working towards making the country better. Kissing ass is of no use. The country is in a bad condition, for the most part. Why should people say otherwise?
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by yommyuk: 1:22am On Nov 13, 2009
Posted by: chiogo

And yea, there are people who "bad-mouth" as you put it while working towards making the country better. Kissing ass is of no use. The country is in a bad condition, for the most part. Why should people say otherwise?

Agreed my brother.
But what are u going to do about it.
Are u going to do an Andrew checking out shocked
or Mr Tom staying put sad
or JJC wetin dey happen embarassed
or TOKUNBO, Let get busy cool
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by chiogo(f): 1:26am On Nov 13, 2009
^ Who's your brother? undecided
Don't worry about what I'm doing, worry 'bout yourself.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by yommyuk: 2:04am On Nov 13, 2009
@chiogo

Don't worry about what I'm doing, worry 'bout yourself

Absolutely cool
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Blow(m): 4:30pm On Dec 02, 2009
I think the nigeria bashers might have a point.
Life really looks frustrating even for people that are comfortable in nigeria.
As I'm hitting this keyboard a lot of nigerians are suffering.
We cant fuel our vehicles because petrol is scarce in Nigeria! You need to see long queues at fuel stations in town. But in all these problems we smile. Why! we have learnt to survive.
That is the driving force for many of us in Nigeria. It took some of us quite some time to get a good job, but we did get a job and life continues. We looked out for our folks, brothers, cousins though it wasnt convenient. But they appreciate us. In a nutshell we believe that things will get better while we suffer and smile for now.

@Poster,  Maybe people abroad just have that misconception that people back home thinks money grows on tree abroad.
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by tracy56(f): 7:37am On Dec 04, 2009
@ovieE, WHICH part of edo did u vist , am think of vist home soon, wat always scare me is that road from benin to lagos
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by hbrednic: 9:12pm On Dec 04, 2009
i am yet to be convinced that money doesnt grow on trees abroad tongue
Re: Why Do People Back Home Think Money Grows On Trees Abroad? by Yorubah(m): 3:21pm On Jan 22, 2010
Most important thing is to be strict on who can contact you. I don't have such wahala because its my few people have my phone number and if they mistakenly give it out that means i have to change it.

Importantly, people abroad should stop telling people back home what they are up to.

I hope it will work for others

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

!!!UPDATE!!! Traveling With Expired Nigerian Passport / NAF Fighter Jet Loses Radar Contact In Borno, Whereabouts Unknown / Interview Questions For Family Reunion Visa Application - My Personal Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.