Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,889 members, 7,806,578 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? (18674 Views)

Is It A Sacrilege To Name A Child "JESUS"? / Is Alcohol A Sin In Christiandom? / Is There Any Sin God Can't Forgive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by tayooluwole: 10:18am On Sep 25, 2016
I have not for once seen anybody bearing jesus or naming his child jesus in Nigeria... The question is, is there any sin in that ?
Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 25, 2016
Jesus/Joshua/Yeshua are all the same.

Lots of people name their kids Jèsus in Mexico...and Spain(I think)

64 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by thesicilian: 10:24am On Sep 25, 2016
People name their children Jesus all over the world. Nigerians are too religious that's why.

74 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by sexy74(m): 10:25am On Sep 25, 2016
you can call yourself or your child whatever you want as long as you are comfortable with it.

7 Likes

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by tayooluwole: 11:29am On Sep 25, 2016
thesicilian:
People name their children Jesus all over the world. Nigerians are too religious that's why.

I am thinking of naming my child jesus but I am at d same time thinking of d implication within our religious society...

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by TPAND(f): 11:38am On Sep 25, 2016
Jesus is just a name. But Christ is just one person. Christ is the son of the Living God

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 25, 2016
tayooluwole:

I am thinking of naming my child jesus but I am at d same time thinking of d implication within our religious society...
Please don't. I'm not saying this out of fear but for the ignorance of the society we live in.
Names are only what they are; names but in our society certain things would earn you scorn for no reason but pure ignorance.

12 Likes

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by Prdo: 12:03pm On Sep 25, 2016
Jesus is not just a name.

Exodus 20: 7  Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Phillipians 2:9  Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10  That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11  And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

88 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by Nobody: 12:06pm On Sep 25, 2016
Had to dig up the same question asked a year ago.

https://www.nairaland.com/2597133/naming-child-jesus-riqht-wronq

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by tayooluwole: 12:08pm On Sep 25, 2016
charix:

Please don't. I'm not saying this out of fear but for the ignorance of the society we live in.
Names are only what they are; names but in our society certain things would earn you scorn for no reason but pure ignorance.

Thanks sir
Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by tayooluwole: 12:15pm On Sep 25, 2016
Prdo:

Exodus 20: 7  Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Phillipians 2:9  Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10  That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11  And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

I know a lot of white people that bears jesus and yet, they never live to regret that they bears d name. I don't know y the case should be opposite in Nigeria... I really wish to name my child after the saviour but will it go down well with the christians ? It may be controversial, but there is no going back

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by thesicilian: 12:15pm On Sep 25, 2016
tayooluwole:

Depends on your mindset. If you can handle all the "attacks" from the overly religious people in Nigeria who will accuse you of "trying to equate yourself or your child with the Almighty God", then you can go ahead. But if you are one of those that easily get influenced by what others think about you, then it would probably not be a good idea.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Sep 25, 2016
tayooluwole:
I have not for once seen anybody bearing jesus or naming his child jesus in Nigeria... The question is, is there any sin in that ?
Jesus is the Englisized version of Joshua/Yeshua. There were many with the same name in His time.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by tayooluwole: 12:17pm On Sep 25, 2016
thesicilian:

Depends on your mindset. If you can handle all the "attacks" from the overly religious people in Nigeria who will accuse you of "trying to equate yourself or your child with the Almighty God", then you can go ahead. But if you are one of those that easily get influenced by what others think about you, then it would probably not be a good idea.

I don't fucking care about any attack as long as I never break any rule in calling my child what ever name I cherish

4 Likes

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by tayooluwole: 12:20pm On Sep 25, 2016
Muafrika2:

Jesus is the Englisized version of Joshua/Yeshua. There were many with the same name in His time.

You mean Jesus was originally named joshua ?

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by thesicilian: 12:25pm On Sep 25, 2016
@OP these are the kind of people you have to be weary of:
Prdo:

Please tell me, does every knee bow at the name of Jesus Navas of Spain, or Jesus Gonzalez of Mexico? The anointing is with the person if Jesus Christ, not just the name Jesus. Actually the name "Christ" means "the Anointed One and His Anointing".
And funny enough these same people'll not have any qualms about naming their children Emmanuel, Joshua, etc

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Sep 25, 2016
tayooluwole:

You mean Jesus was originally named joshua ?
Yeah.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by tayooluwole: 12:37pm On Sep 25, 2016
Muafrika2:
Yeah.
Bros ah never see that one read ooooo... Where can I get that in d scripture ?

5 Likes

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Sep 25, 2016
tayooluwole:

Bros ah never see that one read ooooo... Where can I get that in d scripture ?
Find a Hebrew/greek bible and interpreter and tell him to find anywhere Jesus is mentioned and read His name as originally pronounced,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by ifenes(m): 12:56pm On Sep 25, 2016
I named my dog jesus

10 Likes

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by Ahmadgani(m): 1:02pm On Sep 25, 2016
I once asked a pastor this particular question and his response was "there is nothing wrong with that, but you should accompany the name with Christ"
Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by tayooluwole: 1:20pm On Sep 25, 2016
Muafrika2:

Find a Hebrew/greek bible and interpreter and tell him to find anywhere Jesus is mentioned and read His name as originally pronounced,

Ok ooooo

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by HCpaul(m): 1:21pm On Sep 25, 2016
A lot of my friends even bears Jesus as their nickname. Jesus is just a name.
Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by HopeAlive14(m): 2:48pm On Sep 25, 2016
I personally do not think it is a sin.

People may not want to name their children "Jesus" out of reverence for the Saviour.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by labanji(m): 2:49pm On Sep 25, 2016
Why not?
After all we have people named after our Prophet Muh'd(S.A.W) and other prophets.
Afterall, no one wants to name his child after satan.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by fulaniHERDSman(m): 2:49pm On Sep 25, 2016
cool
Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by DevilsVEGETABLE(m): 2:49pm On Sep 25, 2016
WHAT IF I NAME HIM LUCIFER ?

4 Likes

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Sep 25, 2016
Ioannes:
Jesus/Joshua/Yeshua are all the same.
Lots of people name their kids Jèsus in Mexico...and Spain(I think)
Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by SlimBrawnie(f): 2:50pm On Sep 25, 2016
No

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by kasmail(m): 2:50pm On Sep 25, 2016
capital NO.. no sin in there.. simple.. NEXT NEWS

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Sep 25, 2016
No, but for the mentality of our people, don't.

charix:

exactly. I remember a cousin of mine during his child's naming ceremony wanted to christen his son after himself, for example Carey jnr. Everybody and his Uncle were totally against it saying naming him Junior means he will always be a junior to others in every position he finds himself throughout his life. my cousin named him after himself anyway but the Jnr title was dropped.

2 Likes

Re: Is There Any Sin In Naming A Child Jesus ? by fromnigeria(m): 2:50pm On Sep 25, 2016
aimless question

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigeria Needs Urgent Spiritual Help – Adeboye / How To Receive HOLY GHOST Baptism / 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.