Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,407 members, 7,808,450 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:07 PM

Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria (4009 Views)

Invest In Ghana Real Estate @ The Ghana Property Show, Lagos. Dec 9th, 2017 / Buy A House In AMEN ESTATE. The Most Exclusive Estate In Nigeria! / The Role And Importance Of A Surveyor In Real Estate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria by PropertyLyrics: 10:36pm On Sep 25, 2016
Real estate refers to interest vested in land and everything on the land such as crops, minerals and water including structures. In Nigeria, there are some type of interests that are very important and require serious study and consideration in handling them. A lot of real estate practitioners shy away from the handling of special interests because they do not understand the technicalities or have the expertise.
Juju shrines, private roads, graves and grave yards are special interests to Nigerians that that need special consideration and study. To the juju priests and priestesses, juju shrines are only special properties of value but they form part of their existence. To assess the value of special interest, the Estate professional needs to know much about their relevance to those who see them as special and believe in them.

Juju Shrines
Just as Christians and Moslems depend on our God and Allah respectively for our entire existence on earth, so also those who believe in the worship of Juju shrines depend on them for their existence and survival on earth. The study of Juju shrines does not necessarily mean that we should accept the beliefs of those who believe in them because we have our own beliefs either as Christians or Moslems but our responsibility as Estate Surveyors who are valuers of property we have a duty to assess the value of Juju shrines when faced with opportunity. This is only made possible when he studies to know much about shrines just as he by training knows much about buildings and other properties.
According to the Longman Dictionary, the word “juju” is defined as a type of West African magic, involving objects with special powers. However, the word juju is not only peculiar to West Africans but to all parts of Africa and the world. From the same dictionary, a shrine can be seen as a place that is connected with a holy event or holy person and that people visit to pray or a place regarded with high respect connected to people or events e.g. Late Fela’s shrine (Fela Kuti was a musician).
Based on the real estate definition, a Juju shrine means a place that people visit and respect because it is connected with magical objects with special powers- either for healing, cursing, production, destruction, or for veneration and worship. Examples of shrines are:
• The Ose of Ikole-Ekiti which is a giant tree and a taboo to cut it for firewood or strike it with any sharp object
• The Eni Juju shrine of Uzere in delta state is a Lake revered to have powers for distinguishing between a witch/wizard and an innocent person.
There are different types of Juju shrines based on their functions such as:
• Healing or Curative juju shrines
• Productive shrines – for good harvest
• All Purpose juju shrines – various services and sacrifices are carried out for both good and bad fortunes.
• Sacred Bushes
• Speculative Juju shrines – these are of no values to anybody. They are erected to attract compensations.

Grave/Grave Yards
Graves and Grave yards are special interests in Nigeria because the people revere their dead and so take much care of the dead, due to the belief that those dead take care of those who are still alive. The Yoruba people in western past of Nigeria do carry out ceremonies for their dead after some years to change the position of the body because they believe that being in such a position for a long time would have been stressful for the dead. The grave and grave yards command the respect and awe of every living being.
There is much more value attached to graves/grave yards. Just as there are two no type of buildings so also are there are two no graves. A grave yard is hardly acquired as most grave yards or cemeteries are sacred places that are regarded as monuments not to be tampered with. There are some other places mainly in the rural areas where dead people are buried. These places are seen as taboo or abomination grounds from those who died some kind of deaths that the people see as abomination such as suicides, condemnation, pregnant women etc. These places are sacred to the people and known in the eastern part of Nigeria as ‘evil forest” or “forbidden bush”.

Private Roads
These are roads or footpaths constructed by individuals, families or communities for their private and special uses. A road or footpath may be constructed by an individual, leading to his farmland or to his fishing grounds or to even his juju shrine.
Similarly, private roads can be constructed by a group of people or families or even by a rural community.
The valuation and consideration of special interests in Nigeria should be a course of study for the real estate professionals as it will help in aiding their jobs.
For more information on real estate sessions: www.propertylyrics..com

3 Likes

Re: Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria by holuwatobhy(m): 6:40am On Sep 27, 2016
Inguration lecture!!!
Re: Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria by holuwatobhy(m): 6:41am On Sep 27, 2016
Y na?
Re: Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria by EternalBeing: 6:41am On Sep 27, 2016
Becoming a Landlord is not as difficult as they want you to believe. Someone you know needs this important info, so save our number.
Very affordable and legitimate properties in Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria by lonelydora: 6:42am On Sep 27, 2016
Haa
Re: Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria by snazzy5050(m): 6:42am On Sep 27, 2016
Wats the juju interest all about here

Early morning and senseless topics be like
Pls somebody should send me that zuma meme undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria by petrov10: 6:52am On Sep 27, 2016
I'm not understanding O

is lala now a chief priest ?

1 Like

Re: Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria by gist4kidsblog: 7:04am On Sep 27, 2016
Nice thread....
Call/WhatsApp 080-85-310-359 for your original stone coated roofing..

Re: Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria by Celegbengz(m): 7:07am On Sep 27, 2016
Kk
Re: Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria by opalu: 7:31am On Sep 27, 2016
I do not really get the main gist of this thread. However one thing comes to my mind. When I was a Structural Consultant to the Lagos State Water Treatment and Distribution project at Agbowa covering 12 communities at that region. On one of our pipe channels we met a grave. The community requested we pay for some traditional rituals before we can run water through there. I had to divert. undecided
Re: Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria by SMT042(m): 7:41am On Sep 27, 2016
This is a very interesting article .
I really learn't a lot from reading this piece of information . I think this information will be more of benefit to those of you that have or have in mind to sell all your ancestral lands , to have it in mind that those grave yards n shrines on those lands are Of special interest b4 Amadioha strikes you down
Re: Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria by mtngloetiartel: 7:56am On Sep 27, 2016
snazzy5050:

grin
snazzy5050:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria by dhebz2pon(m): 8:32am On Sep 27, 2016
Still selling peace-field estate mowe/ofada price per plot is #600,000 payable on installment for 20months,outright purchase is #400,000.
For more info and site inspection call:08059190299 or 0817 724 8609
Buy now and have reasons to smile later coz Appreciation is guaranteed
Re: Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria by Princelegacylemoha(m): 9:57am On Sep 27, 2016
REAL ESTATE ALWAYS THE BEST

Re: Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:18am On Sep 27, 2016
Nice enlightenment

In the main time... Contact us for your properties in strategic locations.

Just check my signature.
Re: Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria by Misterpaul(m): 12:04pm On Sep 27, 2016
GOOD..very nice write up.

When you go to rural communities to carry out valuation for compensation, you will be surprised how everyone will start claiming that every part of their land is a grave yard just to get compensation. You will wonder if they are also counting where they buried cockroaches and rat.

But, I think ascribing value to these 'special interests' is largely based on the Valuer's acumen...because of limited info and data available on such interests.
Re: Real Estate: The Importance Of Special Interests In Nigeria by david290(m): 12:34pm On Sep 27, 2016
As a real estate freelance writer and one who dreams a future in real estate, I find this post a great read. Op, I'll PM you. Do reply.

(1) (Reply)

Shops For Sale & Lease Tejuosho Market / 13 Most Expensive Places To Live In Lagos State / Exotic 3D Building Designs For Those Planning To Build

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.