Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,473 members, 7,808,702 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here (4046 Views)

I Need A Keyboardist / Vacancy For Church Keyboardist And A Male Vocalist / Guitarist, Violinist And Keyboardist Needed In Lagos, Ibadan And Abeokuta. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here by Nobody: 11:12pm On Sep 25, 2016
introduction

I won't say [write] much cause I am this kind of person that sometimes find it stressful writing articles or piece and all.

So back to the issue, you want to be this awesome keyboardist,organist or perhaps a pianist all the same innit? Ama shew you below

1. All you need is passion to play,passion for music generally.. One big mistake people do is , they hate some certain types of genre which is very bad.
*You shouldn't write off any genre of music.

2.The more you practice , the more you become a pro.
* I do self rehearsals from 12pm to 4pm everyday. Sometimes I play for fun at midnight, when every way is calm ..just know you will play for wizard and witches to dance grin

3. I could remember when I started playing. As a novice, I searched for tutorials I learnt this that this that blah blah blah .octaves,semi -tone, transpose, modulation, and many.
* You wont understand anything at times.
Don't give up.!!
The little I know was from the help of the internet:youtube, wikihow, google, and urbanworship.
[make research from every source]

4. Be creative, those website wont tell you or lecture you on how you could be you own creative individual. Tutorial website can help but won't let you know what difference you can make from others. one thing will distinguish you from others. Your spice[your maggi or salt when you play].
I have my spice of play.. Its creativity. Find yours today

Has time goes by, i will create a thread on how to identify your keys through different ways.
*number system
*tone and semi-tone
And, *blacks and whites

Then from there will proceed.
*pls,forgive my grammer , am not wole soyinka, and am not trying to be. Am just this shy guy who is willing to learn.gracias

Cc: @ upendime

1 Like

Re: Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here by VanBommel(m): 9:12am On Sep 26, 2016
royalvalentine19:
introduction

I won't say [write] much cause I am this kind of person that sometimes find it stressful writing articles or piece and all.

So back to the issue, you want to be this awesome keyboardist,organist or perhaps a pianist all the same innit? Ama shew you below

1. All you need is passion to play,passion for music generally.. One big mistake people do is , they hate some certain types of genre which is very bad.

* I do self rehearsals from 12pm to 4pm everyday. Sometimes I play for fun at midnight, when every way is calm ..just know you will play for wizard and witches to dance grin

3. I could remember when I started playing. As a novice, I searched for tutorials I learnt this that this that blah blah blah .octaves,semi -tone, transpose, modulation, and many.
Don't give up.!!
The little I know was from the help of the internet:youtube, wikihow, google, and urbanworship.

4. Be creative, those website wont tell you or lecture you on how you could be you own creative individual. Tutorial website can help but won't let you know what difference you can make from others. one thing will distinguish you from others. Your spice[your maggi or salt when you play].

Has time goes by, i will create a thread on how to identify your keys through different ways.
*number system
*tone and semi-tone
And, *blacks and whites

*pls,forgive my grammer , am not wole soyinka, and am not trying to be. Am just this shy guy who is willing to learn.gracias

bro pls I'm very much interested
Re: Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here by Nobody: 4:24pm On Sep 26, 2016
Okay you gats follow back to back
VanBommel:
bro pls I'm very much interested
Re: Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here by Nobody: 7:03pm On Sep 26, 2016
royalvalentine19:
introduction

Don't give up.!!

*number system
*tone and semi-tone
And, *blacks and whites

...am following bro. tnx for taking ur time to put up this..
Re: Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here by RSAMAN(m): 8:54pm On Sep 26, 2016
upendime:
...am following bro. tnx for taking ur time to put up this..

Since you're from Lagos. Aren't there any teachers in Lagos? Have you ever heard of abrsm? I do teach but we might have to resort to skype for lessons since I'm based in Pretoria which I highly do not recommend. I recommend you find a teacher from Lagos but I think you sound like you want free lessons which is another thing I highly do not recommend. Do you want to learn Gospel? Do you want to play in a church? If you answered yes to any of those 2qs I would advise against it. I did my piano with Unisa and they grade their music from grade 1 to grade 8, then you also have abrsm which applies a system similar to Unisa which is grade 1 - 8. Abrsm is London based music school. They operate all over the world. There should be one in Lagos. Find a teacher in Lagos who can enrol you with abrsm. You will work with that teacher and will only go to abrsm for examinations. Tell your teacher you want to learn in the classical music. I assure you, classical is the most demanding style you can play on piano and once you reach your grade 5. Any other type of music you want to play will be piece of cake for you. Unisa or abrsm do not require any prior learning to enrol with them even a 4 year old kid hasn't started school yet can be enrolled as long as they know abc until z. The good thing is you can start a career once you got to grade 6 or 7. I am a tutor myself and here in South Africa most teachers charge around R380 - R450. You can make around R20 000 per month which is really good if you ask me. But if you want to learn by watching youtube videos or wikihow you will be limiting yourself and won't make a good living out of it unless a church you want to play at will pay you to play but I doubt it will a good pay check after all. Once you want to maximise your earnings you may want to relocate to the US or the UK because there they pay their tutors handsomely. A piano tutor in the US can make approximately $55 000 a year. That's a pay that can be earned by someone with a diploma yet in music you don't formal education to start classes as I've said a 4year old can also enrol.

I cannot advice on where in Lagos you can find a teacher as I've already mentioned I've never been in Lagos but I think this might help:
https://www.nairaland.com/745168/need-referrals-piano-lesson-teacher

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here by Nobody: 9:23pm On Sep 26, 2016
hmmm.. So far , all i just saw here is the value of $ and rands there .. Omo! But well you have spoken well.. The places you talked about are in muson center they charge as hell.. And the outcomes are good, but i tell you, in naija here.. The appreciation of classical is at 0% and if you are good at playing classicals, i bet you cant play any genre.. I know of a guy who called <name withheld> and said bros, i want to know how to play high life and know how to solo.. Not only that.. He said i can play to all kind of classical songs but to play to naija kinda genre is hard..
RSAMAN:

Since you're from Lagos. Aren't there any teachers in Lagos? Have you ever heard of abrsm? I do teach but we might have to resort to skype for lessons since I'm based in Pretoria which I highly do not recommend. I recommend you find a teacher from Lagos but I think you sound like you want free lessons which is another thing I highly do not recommend. Do you want to learn Gospel? Do you want to play in a church? If you answered yes to any of those 2qs I would advise against it. I did my piano with Unisa and they grade their music from grade 1 to grade 8, then you also have abrsm which applies a system similar to Unisa which is grade 1 - 8. Abrsm is London based music school. They operate all over the world. There should be one in Lagos. Find a teacher in Lagos who can enrol you with abrsm. You will work with that teacher and will only go to abrsm for examinations. Tell your teacher you want to learn in the classical music. I assure you, classical is the most demanding style you can play on piano and once you reach your grade 5. Any other type of music you want to play will be piece of cake for you. Unisa or abrsm do not require any prior learning to enrol with them even a 4 year old kid hasn't started school yet can be enrolled as long as they know abc until z. The good thing is you can start a career once you got to grade 6 or 7. I am a tutor myself and here in South Africa most teachers charge around R380 - R450. You can make around R20 000 per month which is really good if you ask me. But if you want to learn by watching youtube videos or wikihow you will be limiting yourself and won't make a good living out of it unless a church you want to play at will pay you to play but I doubt it will a good pay check after all. Once you want to maximise your earnings you may want to relocate to the US or the UK because there they pay their tutors handsomely. A piano tutor in the US can make approximately $55 000 a year. That's a pay that can be earned by someone with a diploma yet in music you don't formal education to start classes as I've said a 4year old can also enrol.

I cannot advice on where in Lagos you can find a teacher as I've already mentioned I've never been in Lagos but I think this might help:
https://www.nairaland.com/745168/need-referrals-piano-lesson-teacher
Re: Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here by RSAMAN(m): 10:15pm On Sep 26, 2016
royalvalentine19:
hmmm.. So far , all i just saw here is the value of $ and rands there .. Omo! But well you have spoken well.. The places you talked about are in muson center they charge as hell.. And the outcomes are good, but i tell you, in naija here.. The appreciation of classical is at 0% and if you are good at playing classicals, i bet you cant play any genre.. I know of a guy who called <name withheld> and said bros, i want to know how to play high life and know how to solo.. Not only that.. He said i can play to all kind of classical songs but to play to naija kinda genre is hard..
Because the guy cannot play naija style doesn't mean it's hard. I'm not saying it will come naturally. You make it sound like naija style is harder than classical. As you say its hard playing in naija kinda genre. What I'm saying is there is no style as hard as classical music, once you master it you can master anything. Probably the guy hasn't played naija style before but he mastered classical, once you show him naija he will grasp the material quicker than normal. Naija style is probably hard but The way you talk about material online and watching youtube videos really sounds like it's nothing compared to classical. And of course this is Africa. Classical isn't as appreciated as in Europe. Even America doesn't come close to Europe in classical appreciation. Why else do you think Alicia Keys sings rnb? Alicia Keys is trained in the classical style. But what she plays to accompany her vocals is really nothing compared to what she can playing a classical piece. Maybe I am giving bad advice as I do not know Nigerian market but over here you can make a decent living with classical but with other genres success will come with luck.
Perhaps you have a problems with someone trying to make a living with it. No worries you can always play music as a hobby, that's how I started my lessons on piano, only as a hobby and classical is very good in that aspect too.
Re: Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here by Nobody: 11:19pm On Sep 26, 2016
oml, am not writing off classical music cause i so much love the technicality of classical piece, all am saying is it quite so hard to spend so many years learning notes by notes isn't it , you were taught how to play notes , treble clef, bars, innit, every genre of music are interwoven , so there are no ways a professional keyboardist wont come learn how to play classical.. Anyways you said you have been playing for 8years, you are my boss then.. But i have been playing for 2years, name any genre i will play for you . Why?The internet is loaded, jazz, opera, any sort of appreigo. Can be learnt online.. At low cost.just 10mb I guess i have make my point
RSAMAN:

Because the guy cannot play naija style doesn't mean it's hard. I'm not saying it will come naturally. You make it sound like naija style is harder than classical. As you say its hard playing in naija kinda genre. What I'm saying is there is no style as hard as classical music, once you master it you can master anything. Probably the guy hasn't played naija style before but he mastered classical, once you show him naija he will grasp the material quicker than normal. Naija style is probably hard but The way you talk about material online and watching youtube videos really sounds like it's nothing compared to classical. And of course this is Africa. Classical isn't as appreciated as in Europe. Even America doesn't come close to Europe in classical appreciation. Why else do you think Alicia Keys sings rnb? Alicia Keys is trained in the classical style. But what she plays to accompany her vocals is really nothing compared to what she can playing a classical piece. Maybe I am giving bad advice as I do not know Nigerian market but over here you can make a decent living with classical but with other genres success will come with luck.
Perhaps you have a problems with someone trying to make a living with it. No worries you can always play music as a hobby, that's how I started my lessons on piano, only as a hobby and classical is very good in that aspect too.
Re: Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here by RSAMAN(m): 12:26am On Sep 27, 2016
royalvalentine19:
oml, am not writing off classical music cause i so much love the technicality of classical piece, all am saying is it quite so hard to spend so many years learning notes by notes isn't it , you were taught how to play notes , treble clef, bars, innit, every genre of music are interwoven , so there are no ways a professional keyboardist wont come learn how to play classical.. Anyways you said you have been playing for 8years, you are my boss then.. But i have been playing for 2years, name any genre i will play for you . Why?The internet is loaded, jazz, opera, any sort of appreigo. Can be learnt online.. At low cost.just 10mb I guess i have make my point
You make it seem as if I don't know everything about music is available online. I know You can find any genre but just don't expect to be professional learning online. I can tell, You haven't met real jazz musicians and know nothing about opera(opera is a genre of classical by the way) if you think you can be proficient by learning both genres online and worst of all on wikihow?(Lol Seriously dude? Wikihow), there are premium websites that offer real courses on music but you have to a pay a premium subscription for it. It's Only those kind of websites that can rival the offline learning just not Wikihow and youtube. Wikihow and youtube are really c rap. It takes dedication, skill and someone to take you in the right direction to master music not some plumber who come from work and learn music from wikihow on his spare time and think they are big shot. I'm not all against learning on your own without a teacher but if you're gonna do it on your own your best bet to be great will be with institutions like abrsm. Online with sites like wikihow is just a no, no. You most probably are mediocre in your playing and you just don't know(assuming you've learned online as you say). Take an assessment with any musical board and come with a distinction and then we can talk. Abrsm offers jazz too you are not forced to do classical.
Re: Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here by Nobody: 12:34am On Sep 27, 2016
hmmm.. So am mediocre, in what i find passion for? I wont accept any other slight insult again from you get that.
And besides the inclusive of wikihow above there was for minor search, thats if you want to..and if you aint cool with what is on the thread you can just take you abrsm somewhere else. And as for the online courses, i want to learn more, on your bill. Please
RSAMAN:

You make it seem as if I don't know everything about music is available online. I know You can find any genre but just don't expect to be professional learning online. I can tell, You haven't met real jazz musicians and know nothing about opera(opera is a genre of classical by the way) if you think you can be proficient by learning both genres online and worst of all on wikihow?(Lol Seriously dude? Wikihow), there are premium websites that offer real courses on music but you have to a pay a premium subscription for it. It's Only those kind of websites that can rival the offline learning just not Wikihow and youtube. Wikihow and youtube are really c rap. It takes dedication, skill and someone to take you in the right direction to master music not some plumber who come from work and learn music from wikihow on his spare time and think they are big shot. I'm not all against learning on your own without a teacher but if you're gonna do it on your own your best bet to be great will be with institutions like abrsm. Online with sites like wikihow is just a no, no. You most probably are mediocre in your playing and you just don't know(assuming you've learned online as you say). Take an assessment with any musical board and come with a distinction and then we can talk. Abrsm offers jazz too you are not forced to do classical.
Re: Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here by RSAMAN(m): 12:36am On Sep 27, 2016
royalvalentine19:
hmmm.. So am mediocre, in what i find passion for? I wont accept any other slight insult again from you get that.
And besides the inclusive of wikihow above there was for minor search, thats if you want to..and if you aint cool with what is on the thread you can just take you abrsm somewhere else. And as for the online courses, i want to learn more, on your bill. Please
Passion and skill are not one and the same thing.
Re: Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here by Nobody: 12:41am On Sep 27, 2016
okay, whats your conclusion?
RSAMAN:
Passion and skill are not one and the same thing.
Re: Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here by RSAMAN(m): 12:46am On Sep 27, 2016
royalvalentine19:
okay, whats your conclusion?
Get musically educated.
Re: Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here by Nobody: 12:50am On Sep 27, 2016
will you pay?
RSAMAN:
Get musically educated.
Re: Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here by RSAMAN(m): 12:53am On Sep 27, 2016
royalvalentine19:
will you pay?
No
Re: Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here by Nobody: 12:54am On Sep 27, 2016
so keep your advice bro, and stay on your lane. no offence
RSAMAN:

No
Re: Do You Want To Be A Professional Keyboardist? Get In Here by RSAMAN(m): 12:57am On Sep 27, 2016
royalvalentine19:
so keep your advice bro, and stay on your lane. no offence
Fair

(1) (Reply)

MP3: Mr Eazi - Feelings (prod. By Young John) / A Tribute To 2pac, As We Remember His Life: / Download New Music>> Erigga – No Be Crime Ft P Fizzy (prod By P Fizzy)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.