Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,023 members, 7,807,006 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:29 AM

I Have A Question About Brideprice? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Have A Question About Brideprice? (919 Views)

A Question For You... / Brideprice In Different Tribes Especially Igbos / A Question For Nairalanders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have A Question About Brideprice? by Myode(f): 3:42am On Sep 26, 2016
I am a African American. Due to come to Nigeria to meet my online love. We have never met face to face but we have maintained a online relationship for over 5 years. In that time he has sent me money for birthdays ,Hoildays
He is paying for my All expenses to Nigeria that include shots, ticket,visa. We are both over 40. And both never been married.
My question is if he marries a American is he still expected to pay a bride price. If so how much. And do my family submit a list. How do that work for American bride. He has no desire to live in the America I am willing to move to nigeria. I want the traditional wedding and a white wedding. Not on a large scale as I have seen. He is from abiriba He is a Igbo. I do believe he can provide for me well.
He has shown me he is traditional so I want him to be held to his traditions. I don't want him to get out of obligation because I don't know what thay are. And I don't want to be the seed of gossip among the people in our community because of the brideprice issue. I know it will be up hill challenge because I am African American.
Re: I Have A Question About Brideprice? by faithugo64(f): 4:04am On Sep 26, 2016
where is your dad from?

let him marry you according to the traditions of your dad's place
Re: I Have A Question About Brideprice? by Myode(f): 4:08am On Sep 26, 2016
Both of my parents are born American.
Re: I Have A Question About Brideprice? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:09am On Sep 26, 2016
To the best of my knowledge, most (if not all) Nigerian culture groups recognize marriage rites and practices as something typically controlled by the bride's family. As such, grooms are expected to follow the marriage practices of the bride's family/culture. Since you are American and do not have a brideprice culture, he would not be expected to pay a brideprice. That is, unless you and/or your family feel compelled to accommodate him and his family by making it known to them that you want to engage in the Abiriba traditional marriage process. In that case, he would be expected to pay a brideprice.
Re: I Have A Question About Brideprice? by Myode(f): 4:15am On Sep 26, 2016
Would it take away from his pride and or standing with his peers if he did not pay a brideprice?
Re: I Have A Question About Brideprice? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:21am On Sep 26, 2016
I doubt it would take anything away. If it does, then that would likely be on a personal level rather than a cultural one. That is something that you would have to discuss with him.
Re: I Have A Question About Brideprice? by Myode(f): 5:30am On Sep 26, 2016
African nigerian culture so widely different from African American. It is so much to know it will take a lifetime to understand it all. Thank you for what you shared. It help out a lot.

1 Like

Re: I Have A Question About Brideprice? by Danfuster(m): 6:12am On Sep 26, 2016
Permit me to say this ... Your writeup is so not American, your use of word's and construction looks nothing American.

I can tell the difference between an African American and a white folks write-up, it's like an accent embedded in it, more like a signature.

My intuitions are OP is just an attention seeker.

1 Like

Re: I Have A Question About Brideprice? by Nobody: 6:16am On Sep 26, 2016
I will attend ooo.. To chop rice ooo

1 Like

Re: I Have A Question About Brideprice? by Cutehector(m): 6:24am On Sep 26, 2016
Danfuster:
Permit me to say this ... Your writeup is so not American, your use of word's and construction looks nothing American.

I can tell the difference between an African American and a white folks write-up, it's like an accent embedded in it, more like a signature.

My intuitions are OP is just an attention seeker.
accent? Embedded in a write -up?

Oh lord!

1 Like

Re: I Have A Question About Brideprice? by Danfuster(m): 6:40am On Sep 26, 2016
Cutehector:
accent? Embedded in a write -up?

Oh lord!

You think there's no accent in typing... Pls kindly tell me why my keyboard is called ACCENTED KEYBOARD cos it seems to me that you think accent can only be deduced from utterances. Oh wait...youre typing from an accented keyboard too, I bet you don't even know that.

Better go sleep again if you never sleep well.
Re: I Have A Question About Brideprice? by Myode(f): 12:16pm On Sep 26, 2016
Mr Danfuster
I have no clue what your talking about. In terms of my written word accents. And thank you for your opinion. But It would be more helpful if you commented on what I asked and not how I asked it.

(1) (Reply)

Why Oba Of Lagos Snubbed Ooni Of Ife (SEE Photos) / Oba No Dey Go To Court D'banj Ft Wandecoal,harrysong_ Its Not A Lie / Tomorrow Is Ethiopian New Year (2010)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.