Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:07 AM

Who Else Is Angry With The Condition At Onitsha - Awka Road? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Who Else Is Angry With The Condition At Onitsha - Awka Road? (1015 Views)

Inside Abakaliki Street Awka, Renamed Club Zone, That's Causing Uproar / Heavy Rain In Onitsha Sweeps Cars, Occupants, 3 Bankers Away (Photos) / Pictures Of Awka Anambra State Capital That You Haven't Seen (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Else Is Angry With The Condition At Onitsha - Awka Road? by Montaque(m): 6:39pm On Sep 26, 2016
Good Evening.

I can make bold to say that Awka Road, Onitsha is the most important road in onitsha metropolis. This is due to the fact that its the major road that leads to the popular Onitsha main market, used by majority of businessmen that visit the market from the Idemili, Omagba and inland town axis. Also its importance is unrivalled, (the state Govt has failed/neglected to construct an alternative or by-pass to ease the heavy traffic on the road.

While we expect vehicular movement to rise with the years( and it has proven right), the state government ought to put in motion a town planning strategy to ease this rise in the number of vehicles on this road and other roads of similar importance. But while we are dealing with the natural expectation of vehicular increase on the road, the state government has only added to the pains of its citizens and the general public, first by not keeping faith to having an alternate route, and secondly, by siting projects on sites abutting the road. The Onitsha Mall (shoprite) just started its operation earlier this year. That brought on additional stress and longer traffic at ABS junction. As if these are not enough stress, the state government especially its ministry of urban planning saw it fit to approve the building of a fuel station at Savoy junction - J.I Ejison oil and gas.

Not that I grudge the ventures, but the inconvenience to the general public ought to be considered. A normal journey of 20 or 30 minutes at most, now takes an hour or more because of these enterprises and business obstruction. One can only question the rationale for siting Onitsha mall in the heart of Onitsha without a large access road. Or a small sized fuel station in small junction, the diesel pump is almost into the road. The crowd of customers also contribute to these stress on a single road of small colonial size.

Well, all these speak to the dearth of proper implementation of our city maps and planning, which, even if in existence, is never referred to when building structures in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Who Else Is Angry With The Condition At Onitsha - Awka Road? by actrinity(m): 2:20pm On Feb 21, 2017
seriously my dear, I understood all U've said. This shoprite is indeed in a wrong location. The suitable location for such business magnitude is towards 3-3; GRA phase II precisel...that empty land facing federal housing gate. Second option is Ogbunike (Enugu-Onitsha express Rd). Onitsha needs to be decongested and its major roads dualised. Awka Rd needs to be dualised, oguta Rd too.
Re: Who Else Is Angry With The Condition At Onitsha - Awka Road? by actrinity(m): 2:38pm On Feb 21, 2017
this two locations I just said are best for the shoprite. And Anambra Int'l cargo Airport is rising towards that side. I have a great plan for Onitsha city coz I love the city with passion and that's where I wish to spend the rest of my life. Only two infrastructures are needed to speed Onitsha development: Int'l Cargo/Passenger airport and Onitsha Riverport or inland port. Onitsha main market need to be relocated and Government to use all the river niger shorelines as New Onitsha central Business District (CBD) and recreational centres with skyscrapers of not less than 20 storey buildings. Even Onitsha Riverport needs to be relocated towards iyiowa-odekpe, coz new second niger bridge and the old one will be a hindrance for larger ships or barges to pass. And the new location will be so big, unlike the small one we have right now in Onitsha.
Re: Who Else Is Angry With The Condition At Onitsha - Awka Road? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Feb 21, 2017
pictures of adonbelivit cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Else Is Angry With The Condition At Onitsha - Awka Road? by actrinity(m): 3:41pm On Feb 24, 2017
Asaba mall is beside their airport; u can see how far it is from the city centre.

(1) (Reply)

Should I Travel Abroad To Hustle Or Should I Go For Bsc.? / Relocating To Ibadan; Help With A Nice Location / How Do I Book A Domestic Flight And What Documents Do I Need

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.