Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,983 members, 7,806,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

Can I Start A Family With 70k? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can I Start A Family With 70k? (36876 Views)

Comparison In A Family. How Healthy Is It? / Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? / Cheating Husband From Benue State Destroys Family With HIV/AIDS (must Read) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Start A Family With 70k? by pamelga: 9:01pm On Sep 26, 2016
I just got a job dat pays 70k per month couple with other allowances. Considering the economy, can I begin a family with this pay...
Advice please!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by eghuan1(m): 9:05pm On Sep 26, 2016
pamelga:
I just got a job dat pays 70k per month couple with other allowances. Considering the economy, can I begin a family with this pay...
Advice please!

i want to believe you are a guy. on your question, i will say it depends on your location and also the amount you can save at the end of the week. but you just got the job, should family be the immediate focus?

147 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by pamelga: 9:11pm On Sep 26, 2016
It's not the main focus but it's important I start considering it...I'm a guy and based in Lagos.

18 Likes

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Joel3(m): 9:11pm On Sep 26, 2016
it's advising you build your house first. even if its BQ. then you can complete the main flat or duplex later.

because when bills start to surface then you will know 70k is chicken change. except you want to suffer. my friend who had a wife and one child stock his fridge every week with meat 10k only. other food items is not among. just imagine that your money for food, rent, change of clothes at least 2 clothes a month u and kid each.

I spent more than that amount a month. I don't know how I do it but I don't have a family.

not forgetting that I relax always with few drink daily. life is too short bro. so decide for yourself.

lalasticlala, seun.

77 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by iPrevail(m): 9:45pm On Sep 26, 2016
I dunno what your monthly bills look like, but I do not think 70grand is enough. Except you are good at saving and have a really good plan for your futures.

Your wife, if she isn't modest, can consume ⅓ of that money. And think about what happens when the babies start coming.

Just plan well sha. People still live off as low as 18k and they are still alive.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Chubhie: 11:17pm On Sep 26, 2016
You might end up setting yourself up for a life of struggle and unhappiness.

Ask yourself the the kind of life you wish to lead as a family guy,wife and kids? Never rush into marriage if you ain't fully prepared for it.

Atleast get the basics right.Multiple streams of income, a house and time flexibility to enjoy family moments.

70k and doing the crazy 8-6pm job coupled with the crazy Lagos traffic is enough recipe for marriage unhappiness.

37 Likes

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Olumyyde(m): 11:50pm On Sep 26, 2016
Brother, with GOD ,determination n contentment,u sure can..i earn about 83k monthly n I'd be wedding in two months time by GOD'S grace. My fiancee is a diligent nurse,n I've also told her i dont cross my bounds to impress anyone. my brother,we can.cheers!

228 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by DollyParton1(f): 12:30am On Sep 27, 2016
And does your wife have an income to support you with?
You need to sit down and calculate your average monthly expenditures.
Although I have seen families depend in less than that amount, but it is a very tough journey.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Harpesin(m): 12:51am On Sep 27, 2016
@ Op, it depend on the followings

1. Is ur present apartment good for couple to manage?
2. What kind of wedding are u planning?
3. Is your apartment having some amenities like flat screen tv, fridge, washing machine, gas cooker? So that u will not need to spend on all these again
4. Is your wife to be working? Is she a business owner ot salary earner? If business owner, is beta but if salary it's may not good enough cos alert can stop anytime....may God forbid.
5. What responsibilities do u have in ur family? Are u d first born?
6. Hope you are not d badoo type that has plenty babes ?
7. Apart from ur salary, is there any other source within n outside d job?

Above are enof for u to know what to do.

I started with 7k while my will do support and I have several other means of hussling to get going but not that easy until I enta a bigger company.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Nobody: 1:16am On Sep 27, 2016
Of course smiley......that's if you live in the jungle with no electricity, no rent and no bills.....it possible smiley

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by sisisioge: 5:35am On Sep 27, 2016
No pls...

Except wifey earns a lot more than that ...

1 Like

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by dfrost: 6:18am On Sep 27, 2016
iPrevail:
I dunno what your monthly bills look like, but I do not think 70grand is enough. Except you are good at saving and have a really good plan for your futures.

Your wife, if she isn't modest, can consume ⅓ of that money. And think about what happens when the babies start coming.

Just plan well sha. People still live off as low as 18k and they are still alive.

Nice tips. I know of a colleague who started a family on 45k here in Lagos. Meanwhile those on 150k are still complaining that the salary is not enough.

OP your priorities should be paramount in life. I know of someone who started working on CBN as low as a clerk back in the 80s. Got married amid the little pay he was receiving. Fast forward today, he has retired. 3 completed bungalows, over 6 parcels of landed property and 3 cars.

Plan your life with your family. Move to a low cost area. Finally, never, never and never try to impress anyone. Ciao!

114 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by dfrost: 6:27am On Sep 27, 2016
Olumyyde:
Brother, with GOD ,determination n contentment,u sure can..i earn about 83k monthly n I'd be wedding in two months time by GOD'S grace. My fiancee is a diligent nurse,n I've also told her i dont cross my bounds to impress anyone. my brother,we can.cheers!

This right here is my guy. 1,000,000 likes for you my guy.

Imagine waiting until you get to 39 when you've started earning 300,000 - 400,000. Then you have your first child at 40 (that is barring any issue).

Your first child will likely graduate when you are about 62. Person go dey train pickin at 60+, haba?

One of my colleague, earning over 250k doesn't even have a girlfriend and is about 38.

OP do what you have to do. 20 years from now, you'll be happy you did.

160 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Nobody: 6:43am On Sep 27, 2016
dfrost:

This right here is my guy. 1,000,000 likes for you my guy.

Imagine waiting until you get to 39 when you've started earning 300,000 - 400,000. Then you have your first child at 40 (that is barring any issue).

Your first child will likely graduate when you are about 62. Person go dey train pickin at 60+, haba?

One of my colleague, earning over 250k doesn't even have a girlfriend and is about 38.

OP do what you have to do. 20 years from now, you'll be happy you did
and 10000+ likes for you for that statement.

Op, just make sure wiffy is earning too. You are good to go. Early marriage is a beautiful thingy

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by dfrost: 7:14am On Sep 27, 2016
Iamhatey:
and 10000+ likes for you for that statement.

Op, just make sure wiffy is earning too. You are good to go. Early marriage is a beautiful thingy

Yes boss. Permit me to repost your signature. Makes brain wella. tongue

3 Likes

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Nobody: 7:17am On Sep 27, 2016
dfrost:

Yes boss. Permit me to repost your signature. Makes brain wella. tongue
you are free boss cheesy

At your siggy, you learning Spanish .
I need a Spanish speaking mate. I'm learning it too
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by dfrost: 8:06am On Sep 27, 2016
Iamhatey:
you are free boss cheesy

At your siggy, you learning Spanish .
I need a Spanish speaking mate. I'm learning it too

Thanks boss. Yep. Learning Spanish although my siggy is written in Latin. I've discovered that it you don't practice the language everyday, you won't go far.

Also learning Hausa so I can be like my dad: he speaks wazobia.

2 Likes

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Nobody: 9:11am On Sep 27, 2016
dfrost:

Thanks boss. Yep. Learning Spanish although my siggy is written in Latin. I've discovered that it you don't practice the language everyday, you won't go far.

Also learning Hausa so I can be like my dad: he speaks wazobia.
I'm a lady please

Exactly, I don't miss my training everyday. I think I can write in it but can't really speak it.

Seriously, I wish to speak all the languages in this world cheesy. I admire your dad
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by SAMBARRY: 9:13am On Sep 27, 2016
ItsQuinn:
Of course smiley......that's if you live in the jungle with no electricity, no rent and no bills.....it possible smiley
exactly what I was about saying

Op do you know how much house rent is alone talkless OF other bills

The cheapest and decent house in Lagos is starting FROM 100k upwards and that is even self contained

If you're talking about 3 bedroom flat it's 200k upwards

Abi you want to live in face me I slap you where over 24 people will be sharing one toilet and bathroom, where they'll be stealing your wife's pant or your clothes.when you're fuckig your wife your neighbours will know and when your neighbours are having sex you will know.that one is gbo gbo ero house. Everyone will be in your buisness giving you solicited and unsolicited advice ON how to live your life.meanwhile your neighbours can be hemp smoker or drunkard. It's 24k per year but I can assure you you won't enjoy your life living there

You will still pay nepa bills
buy generator
fuel it (especially when the kids start coming )
Your wife has needs you will satisfy her otherwise she's leaving. A woman's tolerance level to poverty differs
You will buy food stuffs
To refill gas cooker you're talking of 4,500
The cheapest private school in Lagos is at least 80k.how do you want to cope?

You better get your priorities straight. Marriage is not your problem now get a job or start a buisness, get comfortable before you turn to a wretched frustrated and angry or violent man

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by eyinjuege: 9:32am On Sep 27, 2016
SAMBARRY:
exactly what I was about saying

Op do you know how much house rent is alone talkless OF other bills

The cheapest and decent house in Lagos is starting FROM 100k upwards

If you're talking about 3 bedroom flat it's 200k upwards

You will still pay nepa bills
buy generator
fuel it (especially when the kids start coming )
Your wife has needs you will satisfy her otherwise she's leaving. A woman's tolerance level to poverty differs
You will buy food stuffs
To refill gas cooker you're talking of 4,500
The cheapest private school in Lagos is at least 80k.how do you want to cope?

You better get your priorities straight. Marriage is not your problem now get a job or start a buisness, get comfortable before you turn to a wretched frustrated and angry or violent man

The wife to be might be earning more.
Also, it's not compulsory they stay in a flat. People live in face me I slap you, or go to outskirts like Mowe to live. They can still get a self contained there for less than 100K I think.
It's not compulsory to use gas, though I think it's cheaper at the end of the day.
Those living in the outskirts enjoy cheaper foodstuff. It's not compulsory the children go to private school, though it's better. Most private schools are mushroom schools anyway, and you can get some for 's cheap as 20K.
Nobody likes poverty, but the truth is how many people are not poor? How many young men and women earn more than 70K in Naija?
So that's why family income is important, which is what both husband and wife bring home. The Naija of today, very few men can single handedly run their homes.
Everyone just has to cut their coats according to their cloth.

49 Likes

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Acheron: 10:24am On Sep 27, 2016
If you were living in other parts of South West, i'd say yes you can but in Lagos, nah unless your wife equally bring something to the table.

If your combined monthly income is above 100k, please jump right at it. You'll survive even in Lagos IF you're frugal and not a spendthrift.

5 Likes

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by tolexy007(m): 10:52am On Sep 27, 2016
may God help you...
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by jenyna: 10:53am On Sep 27, 2016
Yes only if u know how to manage and u marry a wife dat can manage too

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by LastSurvivor: 10:53am On Sep 27, 2016
Securities in my office that earn 30k p/month doesn't just have a wife but a family while me that earns upto 150k is still afraid for such commitment..

The truth is that it's not just about the money but the MIND..
Mind you, "He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtain FAVOUR from the Lord"
I guess you know who said so..

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by louken(m): 10:54am On Sep 27, 2016
you can
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by sukkot: 10:54am On Sep 27, 2016
dunno mayne. sounds like suffering to me sha. why will you want to start a family when you are still struggling ? you want to bring other people into your struggles and misery abi ? lolzzz. you better enjoy the 70 k alone and fashi family. some people just like suffering sha

must everybody have a family ? stay single forever bro

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by niggi4life(m): 10:54am On Sep 27, 2016
[b]OP, Sure you can considering some listed factors which other NLders stated.

First, Never marry a woman who is not working, e.g A Student or just a stay at home girl.( They will only drain your lean income faster)

I find it so irritated seeing girls of nowadays doing NOTHING, Some dont go to school, just wearing expensive clothes, shoes and Phones and going to parties with friends( Very Common around S/Lere and Yaba Axis.

Some just sit down at home, always on their phones and chatting their lives away.
Look for a decent homely girl who earns a decent living, be it a Nurse, A fashion designer, a marketer, a teacher, she doesn't have to be a white collar job woman.

Be open with her about your income, don't start forming Dangote when indeed you are a hustler.
Above all, work harder and pray harder, luck shines on everyone, only time can tell when your own sun will shine.

Last bullet, avoid excessive gambling, drinking and wayward life and save a bit, i guess you should be fine by then[/b]

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by MVLOX(m): 10:54am On Sep 27, 2016
Y not I will even start a family with 40 - 45k a month self

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Olukokosir(m): 10:55am On Sep 27, 2016
Hh
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by gbaskiboy: 10:55am On Sep 27, 2016
The answer is Yes considering the recession we are facing right now. my suggestion for is to cut your coat according to your size. you will thanks me later if you find out the meaning of the proverb

2 Likes

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by zeusdgrt(m): 10:55am On Sep 27, 2016
Funeral announcement of the OP

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Incredible! Read The Best Divorce Letter I Have Seen Exchanged By A Couple / Amazing Weight Loss Transformation Of A Couple In Just One Year (photo) / Naming Ceremony Of Nigerian Quintuplets (5 Babies) In FCT Abuja In Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.