Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,031 members, 7,807,063 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:07 AM

Would Fela's Music Have Survived This Present Time? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Would Fela's Music Have Survived This Present Time? (781 Views)

Lexine Dumlesi Yobo's 1st Birthday. "You Survived Incomplete Abortion" - Adaeze / Fela's Daughter,yeni Kuti Twerks Heavily To Fela Music / Snoop Dogg Shares Fela Kuti's Photo On His Instagram Page (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would Fela's Music Have Survived This Present Time? by yedidiah(m): 9:26am On Sep 27, 2016
Yesterday I was listening to a radio station when one of Fela's songs,"shuffering and shmilling"

Listening to the lyrical content, beats, genre of music and the general arrangement of his songs, i couldn't help but wonder what would have become of his songs had they been sung in this present time. Giving the current preferences in Nigeria music, the current market for Nigeria's music both in and out of the country, and the fact that music is now purely entertainment and not a way of making political statements like it was in the 70s to early 90s. Infact, the last time any major political leader responded to a song was President Obasanjo's reply to Eadris Abdulkarim's JAGA JAGA; which means music has lost its voice as a tool of activism.

So, giving these and many other reasons and/or trends in music, would Fela's music that rocked the world from the late 60s to early 90s have
succeeded if they were sung in the current Nigeria music scene?
Re: Would Fela's Music Have Survived This Present Time? by Nobody: 9:42am On Sep 27, 2016
it would've survived.. remember 2face sang FOR INSTANCE & E BE LIKE SAY not too long ago and it was generally accepted.. most of these recent ones would also have loved to sing about d state of affairs in naija and political related issues, but dey re scared of what might b done to them. need I remind u what OBJ did to Jaga Jaga master..

1 Like

Re: Would Fela's Music Have Survived This Present Time? by Adeoba10(m): 9:43am On Sep 27, 2016
Not now... . Except few of dem, most songs are composed to praise sex, money n indecency. R. I. P Fela

1 Like

Re: Would Fela's Music Have Survived This Present Time? by Nobody: 9:44am On Sep 27, 2016
I kinda doubt it..the poster above me has said it all
Re: Would Fela's Music Have Survived This Present Time? by EMMYLBANKS(m): 9:45am On Sep 27, 2016
yes oo atleast lai mohammed for no get mouth
Re: Would Fela's Music Have Survived This Present Time? by pointblank247(m): 10:08am On Sep 27, 2016
yes fela's music has gone beyound that and will never die off.fela is in the class of Bob marley.even among rappers there are guys that will never go as they stay undergriund and sprading like kerosine. guys like method man. krs1, redman .. modenine. these guys. their fans are in a class of thier own.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Would Fela's Music Have Survived This Present Time? by RealJaneDoe: 10:18am On Sep 27, 2016
I doubt it would have OP . This generation is lost .

Listen to the people who are making it now listen to their lyrics. People like davido kcee WizKid sing about getting laid being high or women. its all autotune and bull;crap!!

Nobody's singing about the government or real life issues. The few that do are not very popular so aspiring artistes would like to copy the popular ones.

Fela's music would have being out of 'fashion'.

Its a pity that this generation does not value good music
Re: Would Fela's Music Have Survived This Present Time? by YungJo207(m): 10:37am On Sep 27, 2016
Op take your time ooo...see question if BaBa Fela music go last...him for don be presido sef

Op that kind question na baba nla nonsense
Baba nla nonsense ( in fela's voice )

Meanwhile oga Jarizod how market na

CC @jarizod

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would Fela's Music Have Survived This Present Time? by Nobody: 10:46am On Sep 27, 2016
YungJo207:
Op take your time ooo...see question if BaBa Fela music go last...him for don be presido sef

CC @jarizod
BOSSMAN..I hail oh smiley

1 Like

Re: Would Fela's Music Have Survived This Present Time? by yedidiah(m): 9:56pm On Sep 27, 2016
YungJo207:

CC @jarizod
guy, forget that thing jor. Nowadays, the preference is a catchy beat with a good sing-along chorus that one can dance to.

No doubts, Fela would have had so much to sing about the current t happening in the country particularly now that his good friend PMB is the President.

But whether him go hold sway as he did in the 80s is a big doubt

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Would Fela's Music Have Survived This Present Time? by OKorowanta: 6:51am On Sep 28, 2016
Fela miuzik can survive tsunami.
This genration nor reach.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Flavour's Daughter Celebrates Her 2nd Birthday Today / Naked Girl Causes A Stir At The 3thrones Concert (photos) / Wizkid Wins Best African Act At MOBO Awards 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.