Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu (31671 Views)

The List Of The 105 People In Lagos State With The Title Of Asiwaju / Asiwaju Bola Tinubu At Crossroads Politically-dele Sobowale / “i Will Show Buhari The Meaning Of Asiwaju; I Can Destroy Apc- Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:23am On Sep 27, 2016
On Saturday, September 24, 2016, I wrote a piece on this platform titled APC Humiliation: Time For Jagaban Bola Ahmed Tinubu To Consider PDP. In the piece, I made a passionate case for the leader of Ruling All Progressive Congress to switch over to the Umbrella side of the political divide after seeing the humiliation meted to his loyalists orchestrated by those that once benefited from his political benevolence in order to disgrace him. The most recent being the sham of Ondo APC governorship primary and the rejection of the APC Appeal Tribunal recommendation by the National Chairman of the party despite majority members of the National Working Committee present at the deliberation insisting on upholding the position of the Appeal tribunal. Barely 24 hours after the piece, His Excellency Asiwaju (Senator) Bola Ahmed Tinubu made a strong but patriotic call for his party's National Chairman to do the honorable thing by resigning.

To some people, Asiwaju Tinubu deserves whatever ill-treatment is coming his way simply because "he is too powerful as an individual" or "he should be tamed by fire by force". However, these individuals forget that power comes from God, and in any society, there will always be powerful citizens whose acquisition of power and influence could be attributed to factors such as show of benevolence, performance while in public office, intelligence, charisma or any other reasons. While it is no crime taming powerful individuals in society, such must be done according to laws, statutes and precepts of the society concerned.

In the Tinubu case, his acquisition of power was not due to sheer luck or something he attained overnight. For those that may not be aware, prior to 1999, Bola Tinubu was elected into the Senate to represent Lagos West Senatorial district in the Red Chamber in 1992 in the defunct Third Republic. After the June 12, 1993 Presidential election annulment which was arguably won by late businessman Chief MKO Abiola, Bola Tinubu along with other patriots formed the National Democratic Coalition(NADECO) to seek the restoration of Abiola's mandate that was freely given him by the Nigeria electorates. The struggle for the restoration led Asiwaju to flee to London in 1994 where he stayed on exile until 1998 after the death of Abacha and during the transition period that led to the fourth Republic which began in 1999. Tinubu stood for a cause even at a period when many politicians found it convenient to wine and dine with the military in order to satisfy the voices of both the stomach and pocket.

In 1998 Tinubu was elected Governor under Alliance for Democracy platform, the crises in AD led his faction to form the Action Congress of Nigeria. As the only AD/AC Governor between 2003 and 2007, Tinubu's performance was second to none, and he deployed his protege and exWorks Commissioner to Osun in 2007 where he defeated incumbent Olagunsoye Oyinlola. He also held his grip in Lagos by ensuring the victory of another protege Raji Fashola. Not forgeting the role and support he played to Comrade Adams Oshiomole of Edo and Rahman Mimiko (legal assistance) the Labour candidate in Ondo in 2007, ALL became successful. Not even the exit of strongman Atiku Abubakar from the ACN in 2010 deterred Jagaban, he went ahead to do a clean sweep of SW in 2011 with exception of Ondo state.

During the merger that formed APC, political observers would agree that the ACN bloc controlled by Tinubu brought more to the table more than the Buhari CPC bloc(which had only a poor Nasarawa state) and Modu Sheriff controlled ANPP bloc which had only Borno and Zamfara states. Yet, Tinubu allowed the CPC bloc to produce the Presidential Aspirant, while settling for a VP aspirant despite being the major contributor to the merger. It is a fact that without the ACN bloc, the CPC or CPC/ANPP wouldn't have won the Presidential election of 2015.

However, is is a shame that members of the CPC bloc led by President Buhari's men in connivance with the ANPP group(Oyegun) and ungrateful former beneficiaries of Tinubu's political magnanimity who are not politically relevant in their states in Southwest are out to humiliate and frustrate the man whom God used to shoot them to power through undemocratic and illegal means. For instance, APC Chairman John Oyegun has been in ANPP but has never won his polling booth in Edo state not to talk of producing Governor, Raji Fashola could not deliver his choice candidate in a free and fair APC Governorship primary in December 2014 despite being an incumbent, Kayode Fayemi could not win even his LGA in Ekiti state in his failed 2014 reelection bid despite enjoying incumbency, losing to Fayose in an historic 16-0, Amosun contested for Governor in 2007 under ANPP but was defeated by PDP Gbenga Daniel, it took his defection to ACN and adoption by Tinubu for him to win in 2011. The case is same with Ajimobi of Oyo state. Even President Buhari, despite his alleged popularity in the North has never delivered any Governor in his Katsina state nor his Kaduna political front prior to 2015. In fact, he has NEVER defeated any Northern Presidential candidate in Katsina state. Meanwhile, Tinubu has 100% record in delivering his candidates in Lagos state guber since 1999.

None of these people can stand shoulder to shoulder politically with Senator Jagaban Bola Ahmed Tinubu, none of these men enjoy the popular support Tinubu enjoys. They couldn't even defeat his preferred candidate Mr. Segun Abraham in Ondo APC Governorship Primary but had to manipulate delegate list. Despite the manipulation, Akeredolu only won by slim margin. To show the popularity and acceptance of Tinubu. They are scared of conducting a rerun because the are aware that a rerun will deal a fatal blow on them in favor of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu candidate Mr Segun Abraham.

Though I am neither a member nor sympathiser of the ruling All Progressive Congress, I see an opportunity for patriotic Nigerians irrespective of party to take a position that insists on justice and sanity in our political environment, especially internal democracy within our parties. We are in a country where injustice has been tolerated for long and accepted as norm especially when victims of the injustice are not on our personal or political good books, this acceptance of undemocratic values has to be kicked out if we must sanitise of country and political space.

Like I submitted earlier, those against Bola Tinubu and want to bring him down must follow the accepted and democratic path otherwise, they are on a wild goose chase. Tinubu rose to the height that he is through consistent hardwork and mercies of the Almighty God, those that wishes to humiliate him must do so through hardwork and hoping for God's mercy. Anything short of that is an exercise in futility.

Finally, I reiterate my call for Senator Bola Ahmed Tinubu to consider quitting the undemocratic and false progressive APC, and join hands with the PDP to help build a better country when power changes hands in 2019.

May God Bless Jagaban and Bless Nigeria

118 Likes 11 Shares

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by reptile1: 11:29am On Sep 27, 2016
^^^ PDP and APC are roques.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:31am On Sep 27, 2016
reptile1:
^^^ PDP and APC are roques.
This is not PDP vs APC thing sir

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by agwom(m): 11:31am On Sep 27, 2016
hmmmm
Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by 2undeee(m): 11:33am On Sep 27, 2016
Well i have been expecting this for a long time, this what we called a failed marriage

15 Likes

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:38am On Sep 27, 2016
2undeee:
Well i have been expecting this for a long time, this what we called a failed marriage
This isn't the first time bro

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by Goke7: 11:46am On Sep 27, 2016
oga Barcanista, Tinubu will rather form another party than joining the torn umbrella. He is not like atiku that will jump from one party to another or opportunists like el-rufai, ffk, okupe, fashola and others.

You pdp people will do same to him like apc is doing now after elections. Forget it bruv, I thought atiku is the man you guys are waiting for to decamp back to pdp ahead of 2019. Why the sudden love for jagaban?

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by Nobody: 11:47am On Sep 27, 2016
Tinubu to join PDP?
The same PDP he vehemently opposed and ridiculed before and after the last general elections.

do you think tinubu would be contented to be anything less than a leader in PDP?

Unless PDP will surrender the mechanism and affairs of their party to a stranger.

Educative write up anyways

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by Sleekydee(m): 11:49am On Sep 27, 2016
Must Jagaban impose? the essence of democracy is to let the peoples will prevail, be it Primary or main Election....no doubt Tinubu may have been betrayed and sidelined, but I think Hw has an IMPOSING FACTOR

16 Likes

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by undecidedYoruba: 11:51am On Sep 27, 2016
This unstable Tonye Baca whatever should stop crying more than the bereaved.

Allow Tinubu to lick his self-inflicted wounds and stop acting like he is your father undecided

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by SamuelAnyawu(m): 11:52am On Sep 27, 2016
Tinubu, sincerely I always admire him.

#NoHate

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:54am On Sep 27, 2016
Goke7:
oga Barcanista, Tinubu will rather form another party than joining the torn umbrella. He is not like atiku that will jump from one party to another or opportunists like el-rufai, ffk, okupe, fashola and others.

You pdp people will do same to him like apc is doing now after elections. Forget it bruv, I thought atiku is the man you guys are waiting for to decamp back to pdp ahead of 2019. Why the sudden love for jagaban?
My guy, I am not aware about Atiku, that some pro-Atiku people are clamoring for him based on written script does not imply PDP. Tinubu can never be treated like thrash in PDP because we recognize his political weight. Also, PDP is not a party that is owned by any region whether North or South. Nobody can say PDP is Igbo party or Hausa party, in PDP it is purely politics of interests. What does Tinubu want? From observation he doesnt want much aside being given his due place and accorded due respect. This PDP has jhistory of.

I know Tinubu coming would facilitate the exit of some serial losers of PDP within SW (which is a welcome development) but the good news is that it will help make a statement that no region is the single political god of Nigeria especially when he helps win 2019. Is it not ministers and Governors he would love to nominate? PDP has no problem with that.

11 Likes

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by engineerboat(m): 11:55am On Sep 27, 2016
Sleekydee:
Must Jagaban impose? the essence of democracy is to let the peoples will prevail, be it Primary or main Election....no doubt Tinubu may have been betrayed and sidelined, but I think Hw has an IMPOSING FACTOR

Is there crime in asking for free and fair primary election.

14 Likes

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by plaetton: 11:58am On Sep 27, 2016
Every one is expressing surprise and disappointment at the unravelling of APC, and I marvel at how naive people really are.
Daahhhh!
Who couldn't have seen it coming?
Was Tinubu so blind by ambition that he didn't see it coming? That would mean that he is not as smart as we give him credit for.

History always repeats itself, and those who ignore the lessons of history are condemned to repeat it's mistakes.

No one should have any pity for Tinubu. This is the reward for his crass opportunitism.

For those who are unable to read tea leaves and body language,This is just the beginning of the inevitable implosion of the APC.

I predict that Tinubu will turn his media Piranhas against the regime, and in text book fashion, the reactionary regime, like a wounded tiger, would unleash it's own dogs on the offensive.
There will be blood, there will be confusion, there will be anger in the land.
Some, however, will enjoy a good laugh while it lasts.

It will be back to the Abacha era atmosphere . With widespread hunger in the land, citizens, just like in the era, lwoul be wearing Buhari badges to identity the loyalty of their stomach infrastructure.

It's deja vu all over again.

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:59am On Sep 27, 2016
hagmond1:
Tinubu to join PDP?
The same PDP he vehemently opposed and ridiculed before and after the last general elections.

do you think tinubu would be contented to be anything less than a leader in PDP?

Unless PDP will surrender the mechanism and affairs of their party to a stranger.

Educative write up anyways
Firstly, the only constant in Politics is interest. prior to the merger Tinubu was a staunch Buhari critic especially in 2003 and 2007. In 2007 he was a strong campaigner of Atiku, in 2011 he tacitly supported Jonathan, in 2015 he neither supported Jonathan nor Atiku but Buhari. THAT IS POLITICS. It isn't played with emotions. For politicians, no enemity or friendship, Interests rules.

I am sure PDP won't mind surrendering Lagos, Osun and Oyo states to him especially.

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by temitemi1(m): 11:59am On Sep 27, 2016
Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by EternalTruths: 11:59am On Sep 27, 2016
Tinubu betrayed the South.

He should either make a public apology to Jonathan/ Glorious Southerners or keep quiet

Tonyebarcanista

14 Likes

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by Ratello: 12:01pm On Sep 27, 2016
You did an expository research on this subject @TonyeBarcanista, however I think Tinubu remain his own enemy because he wanted to have it all. He contributed more in cash and kind to the merger unfortunately, he failed to learn from history (Afonja/Gere Alimi, S.L Akintola/Ahmadu Bello, M.K.O Abiola/Shagari, IBB, Abacha romances) that it will end up in short changing. The Northern Elite class are naturally megolamaniacs politically. Too late for Tinubu as he will be cut to size soon.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:02pm On Sep 27, 2016
Sleekydee:
What is imposition in asking for right thing to be done? Why not defeat him in a free and fair primary? Why not uphold the decision of Appeal panel? Why disregard the position of majority NWC members? The group that is guilty of imposition is the Buhari backed Abuja group not Tinubu

1 Like

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by devilson(m): 12:05pm On Sep 27, 2016
tinubu is an asset every party would like to av.forget all this fashola,fayemi,ajimobi nd amosun,tinubu has the support of s.west nd pdp belongs to everybody

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by Nobody: 12:07pm On Sep 27, 2016
Ok...

What contribution did Mr. Tinubu bring to the party in the first instance?

- alphabet A-CPC (out of defunct CPC)
- he couldn't deliver the entire SW to Buhari
- best as "Regional Leader" and lacks qualities of a "National Leader"
- best home record is senator and two time governor of Lagos.
- never contested or secured VP or Presidential ticket in modern day Nigeria
- doesn't have the War Chest as Atiku or even Kwankwaso
- should quit if he wants - lost Kogi (governorship) and Ondo (governorship) on technical grounds.
- enjoy the free lunch served by Lagos (wife- Senator),daughter (Iya Oloja) among others.
- has VP slot, Fin Minister slot, in current administration
- without Rooney sorry Tinubu, APC would do very well.

Where is lalasticlala sef?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by Nobody: 12:07pm On Sep 27, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Firstly, the only constant in Politics is interest. prior to the merger Tinubu was a staunch Buhari critic especially in 2003 and 2007. In 2007 he was a strong campaigner of Atiku, in 2011 he tacitly supported Jonathan, in 2015 he neither supported Jonathan nor Atiku but Buhari. THAT IS POLITICS. It isn't played with emotions. For politicians, no enemity or friendship, Interests rules.

I am sure PDP won't mind surrendering Lagos, Osun and Oyo states to him especially.
What virtues do we expect of our politicians?

If all they've been doing is not without emotions, it means they're not committed to any ideology they once professed.

1 Like

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by dunkem21(m): 12:08pm On Sep 27, 2016
No peace till GEJ is apologised to cheesy

12 Likes

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by Mujaheeeden: 12:10pm On Sep 27, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
boy i know you are looking for where your bread will be buttered again

16 Likes

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by Mujaheeeden: 12:12pm On Sep 27, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

What is imposition in asking for right thing to be done? Why not defeat him in a free and fair primary? Why not uphold the decision of Appeal panel? Why disregard the position of majority NWC members? The group that is guilty of imposition is the Buhari backed Abuja group not Tinubu
This man that sways like pendulum because he wants to curry favor from politicians.

List of people who you have try to curry favour from

Gbawe

Firefire

Adeyanju deji

Demola olarenwaju

Egift

Omenka

Nairaland PDP

Nairaland APC

Now you want to settle yourself permanently with Tinubu

Oga it's not good that you are known for only this. Stop seeking protection
Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:12pm On Sep 27, 2016
hagmond1:

What virtues do we expect of our politicians?

If all they've been doing is not without emotions, it means they're not committed to any ideology they once professed.
That is far from it. It means that they are not tied to ANY individual. Can you say if there is any ideology like Atikuism? Jonathanism? Buharism? The answer is no. People are ally to politicians based on convenience. In fact, we play politics of convenience at every point in time.

However, Tinubu hold on to his progressive ideology(as claimed) and has been pushing for progressive policies like Fiscal Federalism but unfortunately, we haven't seen such. Maybe, at the appropriate time we will evolve into ideological based politics.
Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by Mujaheeeden: 12:14pm On Sep 27, 2016
dunkem21:
Tell tonye to stay in one place ejoo. It seems he has migrated from currying favor from pdp/apc to now trying to get crumbs from Tinubu table

12 Likes

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:15pm On Sep 27, 2016
EternalTruths:
Tinubu betrayed the South.
He should either make a public apology to Jonathan/ Glorious Southerners or keep quiet
Tonyebarcanista
dunkem21:
Ogas, nobody owe Jonathan or the South any apology for 2015. Politics was played and a particular people won, while others lost. Losers must move on and plan for next election while winners must be prepared to face the next battle.

PDP vs APC in 2015 has nothing to do with north vs south. Both are pan-Nigeria parties.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by EternalTruths: 12:22pm On Sep 27, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Ogas, nobody owe Jonathan or the South any apology for 2015. Politics was played and a particular people won, while others lost. Losers must move on and plan for next election while winners must be prepared to face the next battle.

PDP vs APC in 2015 has nothing to do with north vs south. Both are pan-Nigeria parties.

When you will realize Tinubu's error and need to make a public apology is when his effort to build bridges towards the SS and SE is rejected

4 Likes

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by Nobody: 12:22pm On Sep 27, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
That is far from it. It means that they are not tied to ANY individual. Can you say if there is any ideology like Atikuism? Jonathanism? Buharism? The answer is no. People are ally to politicians based on convenience. In fact, we play politics of convenience at every point in time.

However, Tinubu hold on to his progressive ideology(as claimed) and has been pushing for progressive policies like Fiscal Federalism but unfortunately, we haven't seen such. Maybe, at the appropriate time we will evolve into ideological based politics.
Good one. wink

1 Like

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by EternalTruths: 12:24pm On Sep 27, 2016
Ratello:
You did an expository research on this subject @TonyeBarcanista, however I think Tinubu remain his own enemy because he wanted to have it all. He contributed more in cash and kind to the merger unfortunately, he failed to learn from history (Afonja/Gere Alimi, S.L Akintola/Ahmadu Bello, M.K.O Abiola/Shagari, IBB, Abacha romances) that it will end up in short changing. The Northern Elite class are naturally megolamaniacs politically. Too late for Tinubu as he will be cut to size soon.

And killed if he resists

4 Likes

Re: POLITICS OF BETRAYAL: The Unfair Criticism And Treatment Of Asiwaju Bola Tinubu by idupaul: 12:31pm On Sep 27, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

What is it then?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Army Habits Die Hard As Nigeria's Buhari Defies Court Orders - Bloomberg / Peter Obi Supporters Can Be Classified Into 3 Main Groups - Says Daddy Freeze / Saraki Desperate To Return – PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.