Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:51 PM

House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States (11080 Views)

Buhari Backs State, Community Police / Poverty Rate Of The 36 States In Nigeria By United Nation Poverty Index / List Of 36 States Of Nigeria And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by DaudaAbu(m): 9:06pm On Sep 27, 2016
ABUJA—-THE House of Representatives Tuesday approved the establishment of state police in the 36 states of the federation and Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory, FCT.

The approval of state police was contained in a bill seeking to alter Section 214 of the constitution to provide for establishment of state and community police in the country which passed second reading in the House.

The Bill also seeks to replace the word “force” with “service” in its nomenclature.

Speaking in his lead debate, the Sponsor of the bill, Dada Awoyele, said that there was urgent need for an amendment to the 1999 Constitution to allow the government establishment of a State Police in all the States.

According to him, the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) as presently constituted was highly centralized and very far away from the people, adding that the alteration had become necessary given the rate of insecurity in the country.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/09/breaking-reps-back-state-police-in-36-states/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twi

6 Likes

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by veacea: 9:11pm On Sep 27, 2016
Correct move

5 Likes

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by ITbomb(m): 9:13pm On Sep 27, 2016
It's about time

I don't see why people should be afraid of state police if it is implemented properly.

Federal police will not be scrapped, so no reason to fear that state government would abuse the police powers.

If you feel a crime is not properly handled by the state police, the feds comes in. The federal police will always be there as oversight and will be more trained and sophisticated

Meanwhile, see VP Osinbajo reaction to the call for state police. Quite unexpected!

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by kenny987(f): 9:20pm On Sep 27, 2016
They better remember to redirect FG allocation for d Police to the states before we hear that it failed because states are unable to pay salaries.

There should be full devolution of powers and divestment of unnecessary weight from the centre and it should be done wholly otherwise this piecemeal approach will be scuttled very easily.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by TPAND(f): 9:22pm On Sep 27, 2016
States can't afford it at this critical point. This bill should be kept on hold

7 Likes

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by DaudaAbu(m): 9:33pm On Sep 27, 2016
kenny987:
They better remember to redirect FG allocation for d Police to the states before we hear that it failed because states are unable to pay salaries.
There should be full devolution of powers and divestment of unnecessary weight from the centre and it should be done wholly otherwise this piecemeal approach will be scuttled very easily.

You will be surprised those state governors would squander the money

And still owe the police 3 - 6 mnths.

11 Likes

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by Sunky200: 9:33pm On Sep 27, 2016
Seconded, Thirded. Fourted. . . even though they say police is my friend and i'm forced to believe them.

Maybe just maybe this will help reduce fulani's herdsmen attack, vandalism, kidnaping, etc.

So Help Us God
Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by LoveMachine(m): 9:38pm On Sep 27, 2016
This is good news!
Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by kenny987(f): 9:39pm On Sep 27, 2016
DaudaAbu:

You will be surprised those state governors would squander the money

And still owe the police 3 - 6 mnths.

Then the police remuneration and emoluments should come as a first line charge directly to the commission and on to the officers. It should be taken completely out of the reach or access of state governors to avoid unnecessary influence. Same should apply to the judiciary as it is for d legislature so there is autonomy of thought and action in the exercise of their statutory duties.

There are ways to address these things but political interests always make them continue stealing and lying.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by DaudaAbu(m): 9:43pm On Sep 27, 2016
I understand.

I am just thinking of the extortion, they are paid in time sef , dem no allow us rest with 'roger'

If they are not paid nko?

Sometime when i go to sleep in the night, i cover myself all up and feel like i am inside a cocoon, have a very good dream and wake up in the morning feeling like i am jst hatching from a shell

1 Like

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by EasternActivist: 9:43pm On Sep 27, 2016
Long over due....
Even federal govt owe
Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by omonnakoda: 9:46pm On Sep 27, 2016
This has not been thought through fully .How will it be funded. Some states consume more police resources(and prison resources) than others at the expense of the FG ( Lagos particularly). Under the proposed arrangement will there be reallocation of resources from the centre and by what formula. If Lagos has to pay for its own policing I foresee a lot of hostility to non-indigenes and likely all police will be Yoruba,this will replicate across the country
There are other issues that need clarification will police be enforcing Sharia law e.g? Most likely they will. Apart from abuse by incumbent governors there are other potential risks which should not be a problem in a normal country but Nigeria is not a normal country
In summary good idea but implementation will be very tricky

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by leofab(f): 9:46pm On Sep 27, 2016
True federalism gradually building up

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by DaudaAbu(m): 9:51pm On Sep 27, 2016
EasternActivist:
Long over due....
Even federal govt owe

Yes they owe but is it police they owe?

I dont want to imagine what someone carrying a gun can do when he is owed 3 - 6 months salary and some other allowances

I just want to keep digging till i burst out on the other side of the earth

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by EternalTruths: 9:55pm On Sep 27, 2016
Good Morning Nigerians

Na now una wake up
Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by kingsman66(m): 9:57pm On Sep 27, 2016
since 29th of may 2016, this is semi good news I have had from this confused government. well. a very good move but in wrong direction.

check out my signature
Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by EternalTruths: 9:59pm On Sep 27, 2016
TPAND:
States can't afford it at this critical point. This bill should be kept on hold

Your state can't afford it doesn't mean others can't

If you state can't, they will depend on FG police

3 Likes

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by EasternActivist: 10:00pm On Sep 27, 2016
DaudaAbu:

Yes they owe but is it police they owe?

I dont want to imagine what someone carrying a gun can do when he is owed 3 - 6 months salary and some other allowances.

I just want to keep digging till i burst out to the other side of the earth

Then if that's the case a preventive measures can be put in place to avoid such cases...

The importance of having state police cannot be overemphasized bro

2 Likes

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by EternalTruths: 10:03pm On Sep 27, 2016
omonnakoda:
This has not been thought through fully .How will it be funded. Some states consume more police resources(and prison resources) than others at the expense of the FG ( Lagos particularly). Under the proposed arrangement will there be reallocation of resources from the centre and by what formula. If Lagos has to pay for its own policing I foresee a lot of hostility to non-indigenes and likely all police will be Yoruba,this will replicate across the country
There are other issues that need clarification will police be enforcing Sharia law e.g? Most likely they will. Apart from abuse by incumbent governors there are other potential risks which should not be a problem in a normal country but Nigeria is not a normal country
In summary good idea but implementation will be very tricky

Is not compulsory Lagos has a state police.

Many states need state police
Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by udede(m): 10:38pm On Sep 27, 2016
how it is done is that up to 70% of the fedral police should be domesticated by the states. then the money being used to pay them should be shifted to the states the federal polic should mentain their presence in every state but this time scantly most probably with just one station at every state capital
Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by omonnakoda: 10:50pm On Sep 27, 2016
EternalTruths:

Is not compulsory Lagos has a state police.

Many states need state police
Did I say it is compulsory? Must you quote me? If you must then understand what you are quoting.
Lagos consumes the greatest amount of police resources. If we have state police how will the Federal police budget remain the same? If it is reduced Lagos will be a loser.So debate of state police cannot be separated from other issues like resource control and true federalism. We cannot talk about state police without talking about how to pay for it?
I support state police 100% but it needs attention to detail and implementation. Knowing the peculiarities of Nigeria the legislation needs to be very detailed and carefully thought through. Otherwise we will end up legalizing shariah police through the backdoor

6 Likes

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by Funlordjnr: 10:56pm On Sep 27, 2016
grin

Good god! Doomsday loading........

Na so so cultists, robbers, tribesmen, area boys, political thugs, oloshos, mistresses, cousins of the governors and personal assistants go constitute most of these state police departments be that!

3 Likes

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by DeKen: 12:02am On Sep 28, 2016
That will be good. The SSS/DSS can then be made to act as Federal Police for interstate policing or cross state crime.

2 Likes

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by Opharhe: 4:12am On Sep 28, 2016
OK. That's cool. Funding should be a major concern for sustainability.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by Boleyndynasty2(f): 4:50am On Sep 28, 2016
Police should be scrapped, When did it become the constitutional right for men in uniform standing on the road to be given #50 or more? And when you don't you'll be asked to park and then the make it look like you've committed an offense undecided
Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by ItsMeAboki(m): 5:56am On Sep 28, 2016
Funlordjnr:
grin

Good god! Doomsday loading........

Na so so cultists, robbers, tribesmen, area boys, political thugs, oloshos, mistresses, cousins of the governors and personal assistants go constitute most of these state police departments be that!

Nigerians will regret this decision, some are currently celebrating without realising the implications. We already have rouge governors and empowering them with state police is a very dangerous move. Can anyone imagine the fate of someone running foul of such governor with so much power concentrated in his hands? It would be foolish to assume you would now have free and fair elections in states with the governor as incumbent. I can only see more politically motivated extrajudicially motivated killing, torture and arrests for more Nigerians together with abuse ethnic and religious divide - the police will be another ready tool to use at the whim of the chief executive and his commissioners - may God help us.
We are not yet matured for such .

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by bcomputer101: 6:07am On Sep 28, 2016
I repeat once again, don't say I didn't tell you oooo.
NIGERIA is not yet ripe for STATE POLICE.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by yhellow(m): 6:13am On Sep 28, 2016
Wrong move.
Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by o42austino(m): 6:16am On Sep 28, 2016
ItsMeAboki:

Nigerians will regret this decision, some are currently celebrating without realising the implications. We already have rouge governors and empowering them with state police is a very dangerous move. Can anyone imagine the fate of someone running foul of such governor with so much power concentrated in his hands? It would be foolish to assume you would now have free and fair elections in states with the governor as incumbent. I can only see more politically motivated extrajudicially motivated killing, torture and arrests for more Nigerians together with abuse ethnic and religious divide - the police will be another ready tool to use at the whim of the chief executive and his commissioners - may God help us.
nice move
Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by Caseless: 6:26am On Sep 28, 2016
States are struggling to pay workers, I don't know how they are going to pay for state police. You and I know what is happening to the federal police because of what they earn .

ItsMeAboki:

Joseph mbu couldn't have done what he did to Amaechi to please Jonathan if it was a state-federal police setting cos there will be crisis between those paid by federal government and those paid by the state. It will be bad for all of us. How do we pay them? Out of 36 states , only 3 are not owing workers, and we are trying to impose more financial weight on them.

2 Likes

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by rayblast(m): 6:28am On Sep 28, 2016
oh my God!!!! police go begin collect 5naira @state level as bribe while Federal level remain d normal 10naira. transporters gbese wo le o!!!!!!!! Abeg dis state police nid new uniform o RED colour will do so dat once we see dem we go Don package their egunje from distance

2 Likes

Re: House of Reps Backs State Police In 36 States by Caseless: 6:29am On Sep 28, 2016
ITbomb:
It's about time

I don't see why people should be afraid of state police if it is implemented properly.

Federal police will not be scrapped, so no reason to fear that state government would abuse the police powers.

If you feel a crime is not properly handled by the state police, the feds comes in. The federal police will always be there as oversight and will be more trained and sophisticated
listen to yourself. Is there anything that's ever been "implemented properly" in Nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2019: Buhari Campaign Group Plans Mega Rally / El-Rufai Hosts Solomon Dalung, The Minister Of Sports (Photos) / Lagos State APC Governorship candidate, Jide Sanwolu Casts his votes (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.