Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,405 members, 7,781,175 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:14 AM

The Current Most Celebrated African Author - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Current Most Celebrated African Author (12793 Views)

Check Out The Current Plate Number Of The IG Of Police / An Interview With Award Winning Blogger, Author, Screenwriter, Tomi Adesina / The Perfect Author [LOVE MYSTREY and ADVENTURE] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 29, 2016
Who knows Wole Soyinka outside of Nigeria? Yorubas...every thing is not about dicck contest with Igbos. Chinua Achebe is the most celebrated African author. Do you know billions of people who are dying to read his books, and thousands of secondary schools and universities universities who have his books their curriculum since 80s. Things Fall Apart is the greatest literary feat of the last and current century.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by martineinstein(m): 6:40am On Sep 29, 2016
chinue achebe is d greatest of dem all
Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by Blackkie: 6:46am On Sep 29, 2016
This race has been between Achebe and Soyinka.
While Soyinka is a Nobel Laureate the highest achievement in literature, Achebe's book is the most read title from Africa.
At Achebe's death, one of his books Things Fall Apart has been translated into more than 50 languages and has been text in literature studies across the globe.

In one international event, Soyinka was being interviewed and was asked -
You are the first Nobel laureate in Africa, what were you thinking when you wrote Things Fall Apart?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by nonjebose(m): 6:50am On Sep 29, 2016
The title of the thread on FP says the most celebrated, which surely is Wole Soyinka. But, opening the thread I see current most celebrated. That one is difficult to determine

3 Likes

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by orimsamsam(m): 6:51am On Sep 29, 2016
omololu2020:
i love joys of motherhood by buchi emecheta
so nah she i celebrate pass tongue
yes. I so much love that book. Joy of motherhood.
Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by Stevengold(m): 6:51am On Sep 29, 2016
Chinua Achebe, and Wole Soyinka

2 Likes

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by orimsamsam(m): 6:54am On Sep 29, 2016
Innovator90:
Who knows Wole Soyinka outside of Nigeria? Yorubas...every thing is not about dicck contest with Igbos. Chinua Achebe is the most celebrated African author. Do you know billions of people who are dying to read his books, and thousands of secondary schools and universities universities who have his books their curriculum since 80s. Things Fall Apart is the greatest literary feat of the last and current century.
why are u clouded by tribal sentiment. U mean a man dat won Nobel laureate is only recognized in Nigeria. Well am a Yoruba man. But I love chinue Achebe. Wole Soyinka most of the time write in his own literature terms

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by 2odd(m): 6:57am On Sep 29, 2016
Innovator90:

Must u display ur tribalism n stupidity ??. And am very sure u use a browsing phone o. Google is ur friend!!!

3 Likes

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by shadrach77: 6:57am On Sep 29, 2016
Ngugi wa Thiong'o
Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by Eeser: 7:01am On Sep 29, 2016
Rapuru14:
Juxtaposing the 20th century and contemporary authors, I go in this order.
1. Chinua Achebe
2. Ngozi Chimamanda Adichie
3. Ayi Kwei Armah
4. Mariama Bâ
5. Aminatta Forna
6. Nadine Gordimer
7. Wole Soyinka
8. Ben Okri
9. Ngugi wa Thiong’o
10. Yvonne Vera
Mariama Ba, celebrated writer from Senegal. Heard She's fulani. Is it true?

1 Like

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by shadrach77: 7:03am On Sep 29, 2016
Eeser:

Mariama Ba, celebrated writer from Senegal. Heard She's fulani. Is it true?

Mariama Ba bawo? How many books did she write when she was alive for her to be classified as great ?
Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by Bontia(m): 7:05am On Sep 29, 2016
Likewise myself. I studied English literature in the University and o must confess that Ngugi wa Thiong O is a stylish and unique novelist. Reading his novels back then was like watching Game of Thrones.
tobimillar:
Ngugi wa thiongo, author of weep not child, the river between etc. Although he has been writing lately in his kikuyu language, he is then best and most celebrated to me. Look beyond Achebe and WS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by Heineken(m): 7:09am On Sep 29, 2016
Ngugi wa Thiong’o...
Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by NaijaBlend: 7:11am On Sep 29, 2016
A man wrote a book that has been translated into over 50 languages and we are still asking about who is most celebrated?
The author of THINGS FALL APART, late Prof Chinualumogu Achebe, was and still is!

Chimamanda Adichie only borrowed Achebe's style of authorship and also says she was inspired by Chinua Acheche.

4 Likes

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by alienvirus: 7:13am On Sep 29, 2016
Amos Tutuola.

Palm wine drinkard.
Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by ThunderingHooves: 7:13am On Sep 29, 2016
Many years after leaving high school, i look back with regret my sloppy attitude to reading set books for the national exam. My efforts were expended in answering exam questions around the books involved, rather than savour the beauty of the language within and appreciate the art of the wordsmith. That attitude was however impossible to bear when considering the works of Shaaban Robert who was and still is the undisputed King of the kiswahili language, and the best known exponent of works in that language (I am prepared for a fight on that assertion).

Peerless, he wove a simple tale with such an extravagance of words, and a complex one with such economy, he often brought tears of joy to my eyes. In fact, so popular was he as a writer amongst both the common student and examiners, his books lasted longer than the norm on approved set book lists. His prose and verse were simply peerless, he is considered the Shakespeare of kiswahili language.

Attached picture , his best known work:

3 Likes

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by ghostmist: 7:13am On Sep 29, 2016
Rapuru14:
1. Chinua Achebe
3. Ayi Kwei Armah
4. Mariama Bâ
5. Aminatta Forna
6. Nadine Gordimer
7. Wole Soyinka
8. Ben Okri
9. Ngugi wa Thiong’o
10. Yvonne Vera
where is Camara Laye in this your list?

2 Likes

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by emmykk(m): 7:21am On Sep 29, 2016
Rapuru14:
1. Chinua Achebe
3. Ayi Kwei Armah
4. Mariama Bâ
5. Aminatta Forna
6. Nadine Gordimer
7. Wole Soyinka
8. Ben Okri
9. Ngugi wa Thiong’o
10. Yvonne Vera
Ngozi chimada is nowhere near chinua achebe or close to wole soyinka.....ask herself she knows.

Chinua Achebe is Number 1

1 Like

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by Rapuru14: 7:26am On Sep 29, 2016
ghostmist:
where is Camara Laye in this your list?
ghost mist, I'm sorry for that oversight please.
Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by TeamSimple(m): 7:27am On Sep 29, 2016
Sembene ousman, Mia quoto, camara laye
Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by Rapuru14: 7:33am On Sep 29, 2016
emmykk:
Ngozi chimada is nowhere near chinua achebe or close to wole soyinka.....ask herself she knows.

Chinua Achebe is Number 1
Emmykk, I contest not your point;
20th century and contemporary authors, Ok?

1 Like

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by Malawian(m): 7:40am On Sep 29, 2016
LMAyedun:
Prof. Wole Soyinka - The first African to be honored with a Nobel Prize in Literature.
I get am before no be property.

1 Like

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by Phi001(m): 7:52am On Sep 29, 2016
Innovator90:
Don't let flatheadism cloud your judgement. The old white haired Yoruba demon professor is well known. It's definitely between Achebe and Soyinka.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by nigeriafarmer: 7:56am On Sep 29, 2016
tobimillar:
Ngugi wa thiongo, author of weep not child, the river between etc. Although he has been writing lately in his kikuyu language, he is then best and most celebrated to me. Look beyond Achebe and WS
I agreed with you
he is the best
Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by Ranchhoddas: 7:57am On Sep 29, 2016
Innovator90:
Ode!
Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by Rexleo(m): 7:59am On Sep 29, 2016
Blackkie:
While Soyinka is a Nobel Laureate the highest achievement in literature, Achebe's book is the most read title from Africa.
At Achebe's death, one of his books Things Fall Apart has been translated into more than 50 languages and has been text in literature studies across the globe.

You are the first Nobel laureate in Africa, what were you thinking when you wrote Things Fall Apart?
thank God oyinbo man is not sentimental and thank God once again oyinbo man na white no be blackie grin WS far and above all other contenders in the world at that time. It was not even an African or Nigerian context.it was a world context and chinua A was not even short listed.over and out.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by Nobody: 8:23am On Sep 29, 2016
Olukokosir:
I prefer d Author of " Ralia the Sugar girl "

Kola Onadipe -

#winks#
men this boook just gave me some childhood memories grin
Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by Laido: 8:34am On Sep 29, 2016
fammo:
What of OBJ's book? My wallclock
Lol
Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by gemale(m): 8:35am On Sep 29, 2016
I confess I'm nt well versed in d works if African authors. Apart 4rm literature books read in skul (beggars strike, jero plays, our husband has gone mad again, kurunmi, sizwe bansi is dead etc), i haven't really delved into African literary works. However I've read a lot of chinua achebe books (@ least 6 of dem) & because of D best seller timeless status of things fall apart, I tnk he shld b d most celebrated.

1 Like

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by ogeflavour(f): 8:49am On Sep 29, 2016
Mchewwwwwwwwww
histemple:
I think Chimamanda Adichie is now on nairaland and she created this topic.

Adichie is good but I don't see how she can be ranked 5th among Africa's most celebrated author.
Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by Nobody: 8:52am On Sep 29, 2016
Now let's vote
Who is better
''Like'' for Achebe ''share'' for Soyinka

2 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Current Most Celebrated African Author by Oblion(m): 8:56am On Sep 29, 2016
Blackkie:

this your lies eh... E fear me oh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Lies Beneath / Nigerian Girl Living In The UK / Sins Of My Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.