Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,124 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:31 AM

Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team (1708 Views)

Man Utd Fans Went On Rampage And Demand For Ronaldo To Return To Man Utd / Why Do Most Man Utd Fans Support Real Madrid After Their Club? / Is It True Man Utd Fans Are Arrogant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by russellino: 11:03am On Oct 15, 2009
Red Devil supporters , O'shea is marking his tenth year as a first team player for MAN.U. in that time he's played in every possible position and put in more than a 60% performance even in odd positions like goalkeeping and as a lone striker. The great thing about the guy is his attitude.Though he's not the most gifted player skillwise, you cant deny that he's a ''stand-up guy'' for his mates. very calm, sensible and never gives up.His crosses are also the most underrated but always dangerous.
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by MrTA(m): 11:33am On Oct 15, 2009
Nah, he's awful.
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by russellino: 11:47am On Oct 15, 2009
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 15, 2009
interesting topic.
i think he's quite important.
his versatility is almost unparalleled anywhere.
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by jayflex: 11:13am On Oct 16, 2009
No be lie sha. The guy too much. throughout last season when gary neville was injured we didnt even remember that O'shea wasnt the first choice for right back. He did a lot to help the team break the record of keeping clean sheets. Remember in 2006/7 season , his holding midfield role partnershipwith paul scholes devastated teams everywhere and he would have kept that role if not the signing of carrick and his synergy with scholes. remember his goal in champions league last season that got the team to the next stage even though he was playing as a right back. the list is endless. I'd rather have O'shea than tevez, he's loyal and doesnt talk too much
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by chidichris(m): 12:17pm On Oct 16, 2009
in as much as i do not like man u, i wish to say it loud that o'shea is a player among players.
he is above everyother thing humble and calm.
when ever i see him, i will ask myself, how did a lamb mix up with tigers.
man u is one club that can boast of a criminal minded coach and mad players of different categories but in o'shea i see a very very very very very different player.
if worshiping players is ideal, i will worship o'shea.
i love him.
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by Nobody: 12:51pm On Oct 16, 2009
chi(l)di(sh)chris strikes again
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by tayoccu(m): 2:24pm On Oct 16, 2009
abeg make we hear word jare,
what is the guy's primary position, how well has he fared playing in that position?
the guy's manure's in case sh*t happens guy, a jack of all trades
and you know what they say "jack of all trades master of, "
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by jayflex: 2:38pm On Oct 16, 2009
@tayoccu

e be like say you be chelsea fan. the guy can play in any position against the best teams in the world and hold his own without shaking.
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by Sauron1: 2:42pm On Oct 16, 2009
John O'Shea is the least talented player in the whole United outfit.
Of course, he is versatile but he reminds me of "Jack of all trade. . . ."
His selling point is his ability to stay fit throughout the season.

I don't think he has any talent rather than staying fit to play in whatever position he finds himself. He cannot pass, cannot think out of the box, cannot dribble, cannot run. He has not improved since 2002.

Rafael Da Silva is streets ahead of him.
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by tayoccu(m): 2:59pm On Oct 16, 2009
this is 1 of those golden moments ~sauron~ and I agree grin
and its not against DK
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by A40(m): 3:22pm On Oct 16, 2009
Nice observation even though Most Important might be overkill but he is definitely an asset to that team its good to know that some Scummies appreciate him truth is its some players lot to be under-rated and O'Sheasy is definitely one of the unfortunate fellas the fact that he is not English only makes matters worse but you wont be wrong to say he is Utd's X-Factor i.e every team needs a John O'Sheasy.His cross to Berbatov against Sunderland is a pointer to his quality
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by ritchboy(m): 5:02pm On Oct 16, 2009
Sauron
u mean O'shea isnt among the "25 top players" u claim united have? grin
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by chic2pimp(m): 5:06pm On Oct 16, 2009
ritchboy:

Sauron
grin grin grin grin grin U no well. Nah sauron u dey take do yeye abi? cheesy cheesy
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by jayflex: 5:14pm On Oct 16, 2009
@ Sauron

are you talking about the same O'shea? On 4 February 2007, during league game against Tottenham Hotspur, O'Shea deputised for Edwin van der Sar in goal after the van der Sar was taken off the pitch for a broken nose, while Manchester United had already used all three substitutes. During this time he denied his Republic of Ireland teammate Robbie Keane a goal with a save a few minutes before full time. Following this incident, United fans chanted "Ireland's number one" in O'Shea's honour.

A month later he won over many United fans by scoring an injury time winner against Liverpool at Anfield for United in the league, having come on as a substitute for Wayne Rooney. This goal was important in United going on to regain the Premiership trophy for the 2006–07 season. He also rescued us against Everton in one of the final games of the season, when he bundled the ball in the net after Everton goalkeeper Iain Turner fumbled a Ryan Giggs corner. United went on to win 4–2. This was perhaps an even more decisive goal, as Bolton were drawing with Chelsea at the same time and defeat would have let Chelsea back into the title race. He scored another goal from close range, in a 2–1 defeat away to Portsmouth that season, this goal came during an injury hit part of the season, were O'Shea, as a versatile player, was required to play at full back. O'Shea had a shooting accuracy of 100% and scored with 80% of his shots in the 2006–07 season. Some recent heroics include his scoring the only goal against the 'arsenal in last season's champs league quarter final first leg.

Surely dude it cant be same guy
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 16, 2009
jayflex,
People forget those moments.
I hate that he's unimaginative,but on the whole,he's largely reliable.
He goofs sometimes,but he is largely solid.
i know that he will save the day when everyone else has lost it.
We cannot write him off as scrap,as much as we all love to hate him.
Sauron,
Defensively,Rafael's not there yet.O'shea can't overlap.but at the end of the day he's a full back and has to defend.and I think he does it well enough.
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by Sauron1: 6:52pm On Oct 20, 2009
ritchboy:

Sauron

He is not in the top 40!!!!

jayflex:

@ Sauron
are you talking about the same O'shea? On 4 February 2007, during league game against Tottenham Hotspur, O'Shea deputised for Edwin van der Sar in goal after the van der Sar was taken off the pitch for a broken nose, while Manchester United had already used all three substitutes. During this time he denied his Republic of Ireland teammate Robbie Keane a goal with a save a few minutes before full time. Following this incident, United fans chanted "Ireland's number one" in O'Shea's honour.

The last time i checked, United were leading 4-0 in this game before VDS went out injured about 5 mins to END the match.
If there was no goalie between the posts, there is no way Tottenham woulda scored let alone equalised.

A month later he won over many United fans by scoring an injury time winner against Liverpool at Anfield for United in the league, having come on as a substitute for Wayne Rooney. This goal was important in United going on to regain the Premiership trophy for the 2006–07 season. He also rescued us against Everton in one of the final games of the season, when he bundled the ball in the net after Everton goalkeeper Iain Turner fumbled a Ryan Giggs corner. United went on to win 4–2. This was perhaps an even more decisive goal, as Bolton were drawing with Chelsea at the same time and defeat would have let Chelsea back into the title race. He scored another goal from close range, in a 2–1 defeat away to Portsmouth that season, this goal came during an injury hit part of the season, were O'Shea, as a versatile player, was required to play at full back. O'Shea had a shooting accuracy of 100% and scored with 80% of his shots in the 2006–07 season. Some recent heroics include his scoring the only goal against the 'arsenal in last season's champs league quarter final first leg.

O'Shea scored against Liverpool at Anfield because any player in that position woulda scored.
If O'Shea wasn't playing that day, another player woulda taken the same position and score from 3 yards.

So O'Shea has a shooting accuracy of 100%?
How many times does he shoot on target? grin grin The only time he does is when the net is open for him to poke shots.

Surely dude it cant be same guy

O'Shea is the least talented player @ OT!!!!

Eastbay:

Sauron,
Defensively,Rafael's not there yet.O'shea can't overlap.but at the end of the day he's a full back and has to defend.and I think he does it well enough.

O'Shea is not solid abeg.
He backs off too often when he should be closing down attackers.
Bellamy's 2nd goal at the Manchester Derby was Sheasy's fault. . . . .Darren Bent's goal was also his fault.
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by Nobody: 8:07am On Oct 21, 2009
Rafael is ahead of O'Shea only in the area of going forward.
He's not talented,but he has been important for us.
The run-in to the 2006/7 title showed us how important he can be.
O'Shea is a dimwit 7 times out of 10.
But he is solid,despite what you may think.Generally dependable.
Bellamy's 2nd goal was RIO+Foster's fault.Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
Bent's goal vs Sunderland?I'm not so sure either.
The point you're missing is that it's not about his mistakes.He's been far crucial for us than those "mistakes"you claim he's made.
And by the way,you mentioned that O'Shea wouldn't have missed the goal he scored against Liverpool,because anybody could have scored in that position.Well,I have two takes on that:one-he scored.And it was an important goal.Give him credit for that,instead of slating him.
Two-Ronaldo (on his way to becoming player of the season)missed a sitter months earlier in almost the exact same position against Sheffield United.Anything to say about that?
Again,you mentioned that it was 5 mins to go vs Spurs when he took to the goal.
I remember him making a save almost as soon as he came on.Give the lad credit abeg.Stop slating him.
If there was no goalie within that time,all spurs needed to do was lob any ball i nthe direction of the goal 4 times.You really want to believe it wouldn't be possible to eqaulise like that with 5 mins to go plus stoppage time?It is probable,my guy.
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by Sauron1: 11:40am On Oct 21, 2009
Eastbay:

Rafael is ahead of O'Shea only in the area of going forward.
He's not talented,but he has been important for us.
The run-in to the 2006/7 title showed us how important he can be.
O'Shea is a dimwit 7 times out of 10.

Rafael is better than O'Shea in every aspect.
Young Rafael kept Robinho in his pocket last season and O'Shea is a fuckwit 9 out of 10 times.

But he is solid,despite what you may think.Generally dependable.
Bellamy's 2nd goal was RIO+Foster's fault.Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
Bent's goal vs Sunderland?I'm not so sure either.

I was talking about Bellamy's rifle shot.
O'Shea gave him the acres of space to line up the ball and to shoot at Foster's goal.
Young Rafael woulda closed him down.
As for Bent's goal, go and look at it again on Youtube. . . . . .O'Shea was a sitting duck, Bent just stole a march on him as if he wasn't there.

The point you're missing is that it's not about his mistakes.He's been far crucial for us than those "mistakes"you claim he's made.
And by the way,you mentioned that O'Shea wouldn't have missed the goal he scored against Liverpool,because anybody could have scored in that position.Well,I have two takes on that:one-he scored.And it was an important goal.Give him credit for that,instead of slating him.
Two-Ronaldo (on his way to becoming player of the season)missed a sitter months earlier in almost the exact same position against Sheffield United.Anything to say about that?

For every great chance Ronaldo missed, he scored outrageous ones that no other player coulda scored.
How can i fault a winger that scored 42 goals in one season.
The issue is about O'Shea and his uncanny ability to lose possession when he is not under any pressure.
He is so annoying with the way he raises his hand up to apologise. . . . .He's spent 11 years with world class players and yet he cannot pass.

Again,you mentioned that it was 5 mins to go vs Spurs when he took to the goal.
I remember him making a save almost as soon as he came on. Give the lad credit abeg. . . . .Stop slating him.
If there was no goalie within that time, all Spurs needed to do was lob any ball in the direction of the goal 4 times.You really want to believe it wouldn't be possible to eqaulise like that with 5 mins to go plus stoppage time? It is probable,my guy.

So SPURS woulda scored 4 goals against United with 4 mins to go?
How many players woulda made the same sacrifice for United? Rio had played that role before and i am sure Rooney woulda done the same.
Re: Man Utd Fans: John O'shea Is The Most Important Man In The Team by Nobody: 1:51pm On Oct 21, 2009
sauron,
rafael is not up to scratch defensively.O'Shea is still a better defender.Let's not argue on that.
Robinho is slightly over-rated.So it wasn't surprising he was easily dealt with.
As per Bellamy's goal,what about Park's role in drifting away from Bellamy when he was supposed to close him down with O'Shea?We all know Bellamy can skin anyone for pace in the EPL.A double team was the best way to stop him.you want to tell me Rafael woulda kept up with him?I think not,my man.
As per the Bent goal,there's no defender who hasn't done such.if o'Sshea does it regularly like gary neville,then i think i'll buy it.
CR7 scored 42 the next season after that miss.But he still missed an in front of an open goal.I'm not blaming ronaldo.All I'm saying is give the dude his due.The Liverpool goal was crucial.And it was not his only goal that season as you very well know.
I said all spurs needed to have done,if,going by your hypothesis,there was no one in goal,was to lob the ball in the direction of the post for the remainder of that match.I think they might have had a chance of at least scoring that day.it might not be a point to drum up support for him,but he kept a clean sheet grin!
He's not by any means the best or most intelligent player,but he is always reliable.
he's been useful for us.
Let's give him some credit.

(1) (Reply)

UCL: Bayern Munich Vs Lille 6 - 1 - On 7th November 2012 / Spot The Difference / Barclays Premier League: Chelsea Vs Liverpool Today At 5:00pm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.