Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,186 members, 7,807,631 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

Manchester City Transfer News: Latest Rumours On Leonardo Bonucci, Toni Kroos - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Manchester City Transfer News: Latest Rumours On Leonardo Bonucci, Toni Kroos (375 Views)

Toni Iwobi Replies Mario Balotelli: ‘Focus On Football’ / Mario Balotelli Shames Toni Iwobi, Italy's First Black Senator / Toni Payne To Play For Nigeria Super Falcons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Manchester City Transfer News: Latest Rumours On Leonardo Bonucci, Toni Kroos by drey22(m): 2:27am On Sep 30, 2016
Manchester City Transfer News: Latest Rumours on Leonardo Bonucci, Toni Kroos

Valerio Pennicino/Getty Images

Juventus and Leonardo Bonucci have reportedly already held talks regarding a new contract to ensure that Manchester City and Chelsea don't make another approach for his services, while both the Citizens and Manchester United are said to be preparing for a transfer battle for Real Madrid star Toni Kroos.

According to Tuttosport (h/t Football Italia), Bonucci's entourage has already met with the Bianconeri to discuss a contract extension amid new rumours linking the centre-back with Chelsea. Calcionews24 (via Football Italia) report the Blues' major defensive struggles early in the 2016-17 campaign have led the club back to the Italian.

Giuseppe Bellini/Getty Images

The Citizens had an offer rejected during the summer, and they too have had their share of defensive struggles to start the new season. Summer signing John Stones appears to be fitting in just fine, but given Vincent Kompany's persistent injury problems, there's a need for another experienced defender.

The 29-year-old recently confirmed there was an offer on the table from the Premier League, and he was tempted to accept it, per Mediaset Premium (h/t Football Italia):

If I said that I wasn’t tempted this summer by an offer from England, above all for the coach that wanted me, then that would be a lie.

But Juventus is my home and I am happy to have remained. My dream was to win with this shirt and now I am here, ready to improve as a player and challenge myself to make this team become a legend.

Rumours the Bianconeri are preparing a new deal for the Italy international surfaced as soon as the summer transfer window opened, but so far, there has been little news on the subject.

Bonucci has emerged as one of Juventus' top players over the last few years, forming one of the world's top defensive units along with Giorgio Chiellini and Andrea Barzagli.

Usually playing in the centre of a back three, he stands out for his remarkable distribution and tackling skills, relying more on timing and vision rather than raw strength. As shared by OptaPaolo, his passing stats suggest he would be a fantastic fit in manager Pep Guardiola's City squad, which is built around ball retention:

9263 - Leonardo #Bonucci had the most successful passes in the Serie A (9263) among the defenders since 2010/11. Technical.

— OptaPaolo (@OptaPaolo) July 9, 2016

Here's a look at some of his highlights:

He's one of Juventus' most popular players and the youngest of their three star defenders, so convincing the club to sell their prized asset is almost impossible. The man himself continues to pledge his allegiance to the Bianconeri at every turn, and a transfer in the near future is highly unlikely.

Elsewhere, Spanish journalist Pipi Estrada made an appearance on the TV show El Chiringuito (h/t Daily Star's Colin Harvey), saying City and United will go head-to-head for the services of Real star Kroos:

A war of two great coaches of international prestige, Guardiola and Mourinho, for a player, a player of Real Madrid: Toni Kroos.

The two managers believe that he may be key to their future because of his tactical position on the field and because he is vital for the continuity of their projects.

Per the report, the former Bayern Munich man almost moved to Old Trafford in 2014, but then-United manager Louis van Gaal turned down the deal, opening the door for his move to the Spanish capital.

PATRIK STOLLARZ/Getty Images

Kroos has become a vital part of Real's midfield since then, and the 26-year-old is yet to give any indication he would be open to a transfer. Combined with his importance to Los Blancos, it's hard to imagine him making the move to Manchester, even if both teams get involved.

source: http://www.tipsden.com/2016/09/manchester-city-transfer-news-latest-rumours-on-leonardo-bonucci-toni-kroos

(1) (Reply)

Wasere Is One Of The Best In Business... Give It A Try, You Won't Regret / I Should Have Nailed @ngsupereagles-kalaba / Chelsea, Liverpool In Competition For Porto Midfielder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.