Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,988 members, 7,806,875 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

The Truth About The Biafran Struggle Among The Igbos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Truth About The Biafran Struggle Among The Igbos (666 Views)

My Concerns About Including Non-igbo Southsouth In The Biafran Struggle. / My Hands Are Off The Biafran Struggle. / Beyonce Eulogizes ‘igbo Spirit’ Behind The Biafran Struggle In New Video (photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth About The Biafran Struggle Among The Igbos by Nobody: 7:43am On Sep 30, 2016
I am an Igbo, and a lover of peace, though was not born before or during the war(Nigerian~Biafran war), but history told me most of the things that lead to the struggle and secession, I have read many books related to the Biafra like Achebe's "There was a Country ", The principles of Ahiara Declaration by O.E .Ojukwu and many other articles online, in my search for the truth.
In that I learnt that Igbos resorted to secession when they were killed ,maimed and properties destroyed during the 1966 coup. To cut the story short, after the war, Gowon declared no victory no vanquish but things never remain the same, our relationship with other tribes like Yoruba and Hausa/fulani have gone sore,
Truth be told, things are never the same after the war, A particular sections of the country have conspired, taken over the affairs of our collective country, relegating the Igbos to the background and making them so irrelevant in their country politics, treating them like 2nd class citizens.
With pure minds,Igbos travelled to the North again and started investing across the northern states with hope that we re one, we also traveled to Lagos and other parts of Western Region to invest and do business, but the only northerner property you will see in SE is their trucks, same thing to our western brothers, The question now is Who is mischievous among the three major tribes, who among them really have hidden agenda, the Igbos that invest n live freely across the country or the ones That refused to invest in our own land,
So with the perceived Indiscrimination and injustice we felt, we resorted to being ourselves (secede) so that those that found it uncomfortable staying with us will just be, though through a civilised way, I so much detest war and any act of violence, in believe in the words of Marthin Luther King Jr "That either we learn to live 2geda as brothers or perish together as fools" The major world powers learnt their lessons after the world wars, that lead them to found UN.
I wish we reform the country and live peacefully with little tribal and religious sentiment or give a chance for the people that felt oppressed to express their wish through a REFERENDUM as it is done in most civilised society, and if the greater number of the people vote for self rule, u let them be(may be we may be far of better as a neighboring countries, and by then the nairaland tribal war will reduce,) else we stay together as still one Nigeria if otherwise, Because forcing us to stay together with threats is nothing but modern day slavery and neocolonialism and will not stand the test of Civilization. God bless Nigeria #MyveryhumbleOpinion
Hope I am not going to be banned for expressing my right as enshrined in the UN charter and declaration for self rule.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Truth About The Biafran Struggle Among The Igbos by tinziemaine(m): 8:06am On Sep 30, 2016
FTC
Re: The Truth About The Biafran Struggle Among The Igbos by StarPlayer: 12:19pm On Sep 30, 2016
Igbos always whining like lil babies, nawa
Re: The Truth About The Biafran Struggle Among The Igbos by socialmediaman: 12:32pm On Sep 30, 2016
One of the problems we have in this country is this feeling of "we own this land"... As long as Nigeria is a nation, all its citizens should have equal access to land and settlement, this is one of the only ways we could promote peace in this country. This was one of the reasons Buhari used to contest election in 2011; he claimed he wanted to change "state of origin" to "state of residence"... He has never mentioned that again so I guess it was a mere political rhetoric at that time. Government is not doing enough to promote peace in this country, honestly

1 Like

Re: The Truth About The Biafran Struggle Among The Igbos by murphyibiam15(m): 12:33pm On Sep 30, 2016
@poster above me ..you've said it all.remove state of origin to state of residence and see womders
Re: The Truth About The Biafran Struggle Among The Igbos by hasyak(m): 1:27pm On Sep 30, 2016
socialmediaman:
One of the problems we have in this country is this feeling of "we own this land"... As long as Nigeria is a nation, all its citizens should have equal access to land and settlement, this is one of the only ways we could promote peace in this country. This was one of the reasons Buhari used to contest election in 2011; he claimed he wanted to change "state of origin" to "state of residence"... He has never mentioned that again so I guess it was a mere political rhetoric at that time. Government is not doing enough to promote peace in this country, honestly

FYI he said something about that and you will be surprise who are the major opposition

(1) (Reply)

Terview Politics Obasanjo Is Happy I Exposed Dogara – Jibrin / Recession Has Been Over-dramatised - Okorocha / What Does 'sophisticated Politicking" Mean?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.