Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,016 members, 7,806,971 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:03 AM

While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities (5952 Views)

Why Are We Allowing Foreigners To Tell Us Our Universities Are Bad? / What Courses Do You Think Should Be Added To Our Universities / Wealthy Nigerians Please Renovate Our Universities Toilets/bathrooms. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Bonaventura(m): 3:07pm On Oct 01, 2016
The first round of debates between the presidential hopefuls of the United States has come and gone. For months now people have been divided over their support for the ebullient Donald Trump and the wily Hillary Clinton. In the wee hours of the 27th of September, people were glued to their television sets to catch a glimpse of the debate, and they were with expectations.
In the course of the debate a lot of things caught many people's interest. For a friend who captioned the debate a battle between Protectionism (Trump) and Universalism (Clinton), the one thing that caught his attention was the foreign policy plan of the candidates.
However, while I watched as fundamental issues that concern America and the globe were being trashed out by the hopefuls for the POTUS, something rather subliminal, perhaps negligible stole my attention. It was not the blatant lies and denials but Yankeecentric arguments of Trump nor was it the idealistic and plans (no plans) of Clinton. What struck my attention and made me weep was that the debate took place at the Hofstra University in New York (not even in one of the Ivy League Universities). Yes, a university!
It pierced my soul and got me wondering if Buhari and Jonathan could have debated at any of the lecture halls at the mini campus of the University of Abuja or the University of Maiduguri or anyone at that. Or if Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu and Godwin Obaseki could have debated at any of the lecture halls or auditoriums at the Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma. The answer is No! They could not have done that. Why? It is because we do not have universities in Nigeria. What we have rather are dilapidated buildings where youths go to, spend some years in subhuman environments and get a piece of paper called certificate.
The University in every part of the globe mirrors the society. Being the citadel of knowledge and the crucible for churning out innovations, ideas and solutions to hydra headed societal problems, a look at the universities in a state shows the level of progress and development of such state. Universities in Nigeria are nothing but the reflection of the decadence, the decay and the filth that the Nigerian state embodies. And our politicians know this.
What baffles me most is that each year, in a charade called convocation, bogus honorary degrees are dished out to these politicians by the universities. And I ask: During those events, are the politicians conducted round the dilapidated and ramshackle lecture halls? Are they given a night accommodation at the hostels and halls of residence that look like Nazi styled concentration camps? Are they taken to the libraries or what look like libraries? Are they aware that some of the professors sitting and other lecturers sitting with them in their larger than life academic gowns either sleeps with students or extort money from them for marks? Are they told that none of the universities in Nigeria is among the first 1000 in the world?
As I sit in this rickety carbon filled Danfo bus in this Lagos traffic ruminating on the direction the Nigerian ship is sailing to before it runs aground I can't help but to believe that our politicians purposely stagnate our educational system so as to relentlessly and perpetually keep us poor and lacking. I cannot help but wonder if our graduates went to school or were educated.

112 Likes 21 Shares

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by emilfischer(m): 3:14pm On Oct 01, 2016
It is a rather unfortunate situation.

4 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by maxti: 3:16pm On Oct 01, 2016
Say no more. So pathetic

8 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by general111(m): 3:17pm On Oct 01, 2016
Fp. material.

4 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Cutehector(m): 3:25pm On Oct 01, 2016
Because our politicians rather send their kids to developed countries to study, paying money for them to continually develop their universities. If we can be proud of our own and invest in our schools, foreign students out there will love to school in our own universities

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by tsamson(m): 3:27pm On Oct 01, 2016
K
Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by ashewoboy(m): 3:36pm On Oct 01, 2016
If i hear say this post nor make front page.

Lalasticlala, CUM here.

1 Like

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by asitis752: 3:42pm On Oct 01, 2016
There are many lecture theatres that can be used for such event. Hav u visited university of ibadan international conference centre? I know there are many of that in the country

1 Like

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Bonaventura(m): 4:03pm On Oct 01, 2016
asitis752:
There are many lecture theatres that can be used for such event. Hav u visited university of ibadan international conference centre? I know there are many of that in the country
There are no doubt. But do they have toilets where the moderators and debaters can ease themselves if need be? Are the sound system up and doing? Will there be good security?

8 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by goldeno10boy: 4:51pm On Oct 01, 2016
it's quite unfortunate but we Nigerians have to understand that greate pleasure come after pain

here we are in recesion and every nigerian is complaining and even willing to go back to live in the corruption-govng past even when they know that there childeren will benefit in the future ...only they can endue

Americans are enjoyin today becouse thier for-parents endued the hardship and pain that they are enjoying the benefit today.

1 Like

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by nickvanilla(m): 5:33pm On Oct 01, 2016
I'M on the same page with u bro.
I'm a student and to be frank sometimes i just sit back and wish i had the opportunity to school overseas in a 'university' because unfortunately what we have in nigeria falls short of that term. Rather we have compounds where garbage in, garbage out is the order of the day and what else? U look around and see delapidated, overcrowded lecture rooms filled with dust, heat and filth. A sad, grotesque reflection of just how denigrated the Nigerian society has become. Then u go to the hostels and the sight there is alarming - where up to 25 students will be cramped up in a small room like they're pigs or some worthless piece of s***. In that little room, they have to live, engage in culinary activities et al. And it's that bad because i've been there.

One may ask, why don't things change? Well, i've come to understand that nigerians see what is wrong but are also afraid to change it. Yea that's right! We're all afraid to speak up(including me) That is why a unilag student some few weeks ago was suspended for daring to challenge the status quo and some commenters here on Nl were condemning him.

Well i guess we're stuck here untill something quick happens
Who can be our mandela?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Speeddial(m): 5:59pm On Oct 01, 2016
The Nigerian problem is not just universities being a state of rickety, but the whole country at large. Nigeria is a mess. To repair nigeria, it will take divine intervention. The foundation upon which nigeria was built is not just ok. It gives the leaders large edge to trample on the people. The masses don't have a say. Everyone has learnt to live and bear with the situation of things. It started long time ago, and it has grown diamond wings. It will only take the grace of God for nigeria to move forward.

4 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by agrovick(m): 6:08pm On Oct 01, 2016
Nice thoughts!
What is the way forward?

1 Like

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Bonaventura(m): 6:10pm On Oct 01, 2016
goldeno10boy:
it's quite unfortunate but we Nigerians have to understand that greate pleasure come after pain

here we are in recesion and every nigerian is complaining and even willing to go back to live in the corruption-govng past even when they know that there childeren will benefit in the future ...only they can endue

Americans are enjoyin today becouse thier for-parents endued the hardship and pain that they are enjoying the benefit today.
Is it self inflicted and directionless pain like the one we have now?
Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Nobody: 6:49pm On Oct 01, 2016
This is so good and front page worthy.
But since it is not Davido or a long snake, how will it make front page?

3 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by alsudaes1(m): 7:09pm On Oct 01, 2016
RebelChip:
This is so good and front page worthy.

But since it is not Davido or a long snake, how will it make front page?

Not just Front page of Nairaland,

It is WORTH FRONT PAGE OF ALL NATIONAL DAILIES. . .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by An0nimus: 7:11pm On Oct 01, 2016
lalasticlala come and see snake grin

1 Like

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by alsudaes1(m): 7:13pm On Oct 01, 2016
An0nimus:
lalasticlala come and see snake grin

Good of you for pressing the "Attention Notification Button" of the Mods wink

3 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by babyfaceafrica: 7:14pm On Oct 01, 2016
Bonaventura:

There are no doubt. But do they have toilets where the moderators and debaters can ease themselves if need be? Are the sound system up and doing? Will there be good security?
oga stop these jhoor,have u been to UI,OAU ad UNILAG before..I have and I attended the latter?...yes there are good toilets for whoever wants to come........when I was still a student there I used a toilet in julius berger hall,come and see comfort....they were actually having a programme there though .the toilets are always locked..The educational system of the nation is pathetic,very Bad. ,but stop this absurd do the have tooilets the moderators and debaters ccan ease themselves...what rabbish!!!!...its not that bad!!!..

2 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by paranorman(m): 7:17pm On Oct 01, 2016
After reading your piece, I just smiled. Not for pleasure though, but for a rather disconcerting course which education (in Nigeria) has treaded through, still treading through and may likely still going to thread through; and result of the conpiscuous failure, better still - failures, of the failure called our political system...

Our leaders is our curse.
I just pity the short-sightedness of the 'fans' of APC and PDP! The annoying and worrying thing is that the children of these supporters' 'saviour' school abroad, get exposure, get better opportunities, better access to wealth, power, et al. Children of the poor 'supporters' get illluck-struck, and so the cycle of 'dumminism' keeps going round it's circle, around it's axis of mental slavery.

Well, as for me, I am thinking hard; praying hard and working so I can give my kids the best, and any other person(s) whose life(lives) I can impact positively. God, this is what I want. So, give it to me!

Op, you write well. You really do, i envy your skills.

6 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by olayincar(m): 7:24pm On Oct 01, 2016
Bonaventura:
The first round of debates between the presidential hopefuls of the United States has come and gone. For months now people have been divided over their support for the ebullient Donald Trump and the wily Hillary Clinton. In the wee hours of the 27th of September, people were glued to their television sets to catch a glimpse of the debate, and they were with expectations.
In the course of the debate a lot of things caught many people's interest. For a friend who captioned the debate a battle between Protectionism (Trump) and Universalism (Clinton), the one thing that caught his attention was the foreign policy plan of the candidates.
However, while I watched as fundamental issues that concern America and the globe were being trashed out by the hopefuls for the POTUS, something rather subliminal, perhaps negligible stole my attention. It was not the blatant lies and denials but Yankeecentric arguments of Trump nor was it the idealistic and plans (no plans) of Clinton. What struck my attention and made me weep was that the debate took place at the Hofstra University in New York (not even in one of the Ivy League Universities). Yes, a university!
It pierced my soul and got me wondering if Buhari and Jonathan could have debated at any of the lecture halls at the mini campus of the University of Abuja or the University of Maiduguri or anyone at that. Or if Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu and Godwin Obaseki could have debated at any of the lecture halls or auditoriums at the Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma. The answer is No! They could not have done that. Why? It is because we do not have universities in Nigeria. What we have rather are dilapidated buildings where youths go to, spend some years in subhuman environments and get a piece of paper called certificate.
The University in every part of the globe mirrors the society. Being the citadel of knowledge and the crucible for churning out innovations, ideas and solutions to hydra headed societal problems, a look at the universities in a state shows the level of progress and development of such state. Universities in Nigeria are nothing but the reflection of the decadence, the decay and the filth that the Nigerian state embodies. And our politicians know this.
What baffles me most is that each year, in a charade called convocation, bogus honorary degrees are dished out to these politicians by the universities. And I ask: During those events, are the politicians conducted round the dilapidated and ramshackle lecture halls? Are they given a night accommodation at the hostels and halls of residence that look like Nazi styled concentration camps? Are they taken to the libraries or what look like libraries? Are they aware that some of the professors sitting and other lecturers sitting with them in their larger than life academic gowns either sleeps with students or extort money from them for marks? Are they told that none of the universities in Nigeria is among the first 1000 in the world?
As I sit in this rickety carbon filled Danfo bus in this Lagos traffic ruminating on the direction the Nigerian ship is sailing to before it runs aground I can't help but to believe that our politicians purposely stagnate our educational system so as to relentlessly and perpetually keep us poor and lacking. I cannot help but wonder if our graduates went to school or were educated.

Nice one op

4 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 01, 2016
it's a curse to be a black man.. especially African .

our leaders, past, and present are virtually wicked. they knew the right thing, but deliberately decided to use the crab mentality on us, whereby keep them in poverty in order to control them.. our leader sees politics as an occupation,and a means to escape poverty.. no wonder, they kill to get there.

I always ask God my offence for making me a black man..

5 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by malenko01(m): 7:49pm On Oct 01, 2016
dats my boy, I de with u bro.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by ccffwx: 7:54pm On Oct 01, 2016
The most important thing he said is that the so-called leaders downgrade Nigerian education so that we remain poor. Everybody take note.

3 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Ghost01(m): 7:56pm On Oct 01, 2016
I remember back then in 2008 when Mimiko was contesting to become the governor of Ondo State for the first time. While passing by, he stopped in front of our school (AAUA) gate to sell himself as a viable candidate. I can still remember that some of us in the crowd then were more concerned about what he had to drop than what he had to say. Now imagine what would've happened if the major contestants then were to have a debate in the school's multipurpose hall. The same students who are supposed to listen and think and ask questions will be the ones who will ensure that they scream and squeak to each words emanating from their favourite candidate's mouth - betraying the purpose of the debate in the process. Our leaders deserve all the blame apportioned to them but we, ourselves, are not entirely blameless. Salaam!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Swizdom(m): 8:14pm On Oct 01, 2016
paranorman:
After reading your piece, I just smiled. Not for pleasure though, but for a rather disconcerting course which education (in Nigeria) has treaded through, still treading through and may likely still going to thread through; and result of the conpiscuous failure, better still - failures, of the failure called our political system...

Our leaders is our curse.
I just pity the short-sightedness of the 'fans' of APC and PDP! The annoying and worrying thing is that the children of these supporters' 'saviour' school abroad, get exposure, get better opportunities, better access to wealth, power, et al. Children of the poor 'supporters' get illluck-struck, and so the cycle of 'dumminism' keeps going round it's circle, around it's axis of mental slavery.

Well, as for me, I am thinking hard; praying hard and working so I can give my kids the best, and any other person(s) whose life(lives) I can impact positively. God, this is what I want. So, give it to me!

Op, you write well. You really do, i envy your skills.

Amen
Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Nobody: 8:28pm On Oct 01, 2016
cry cry This country eh

2 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Jamaticulus(m): 8:31pm On Oct 01, 2016
This country baffles me shaa

1 Like

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Schwartz: 8:36pm On Oct 01, 2016
op are you aware of the difference in cost involved in studying in a school the USA vs Nigeria? Do you know how much money each student has to pay for education in the USA? Multiply that by the number of students in that University and then you arrive at the reason why the infrastructure is different and ofcourse the quality of education also. Nigerian unis are the way they are mostly because of poor funding and low school fees.

2 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 01, 2016
A thought provoking piece. Sadly we shall debate on this and everyone would forget about it tomorrow or next.

4 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by casttlebarbz(m): 10:01pm On Oct 01, 2016
Hmmm...speechless

(1) (2) (Reply)

First Class In Mechanical Engineering, Congratulations To Me. / List Of Admitted Students Into St. Winifred Innovative Polytechnic (7th List) / Kwara Poly, College Of Education Ilorin, Oro & Lafiagi; Cails All Have Resumed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.