Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,537 members, 7,808,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? (24080 Views)

The Evil Mission Of Pastor Adeboye In Akwa Ibom State By Inibehe Effiong / Did Adam And Eve Really Ate 'apple' ? / Did Adam And Eve Really Exist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by lordmayor2013(m): 7:05am On Oct 02, 2016
A student recently asked after reading the temptation and fall of Adam and Eve, “The Bible didn’t say the fruit was an apple. Why do we say Adam and Eve ate an apple?”

I am always happy to see when a student not only does a careful reading but also thinks about the reading they are given. In order to answer the student’s question it helps to understand

1. We do not really know with certainty the kind of fruit Adam and Eve ate from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. I’ve heard it suggested the fruit was a fig or a pomegranate. Whatever the fruit was, it would have to be tempting on a number of levels: pleasing to the eyes, good for food, and good for gaining knowledge. Obviously most fruits, at least those found in supermarkets today, can be seen as pleasing to the eyes and good for food, but I’m not sure what earthly fruit is good for gaining knowledge.

2. The Bible has gone through many translations. This tradition of Adam and Eve eating an apple did not surface till sometime after St. Jerome translated the Bible into Latin. This brings us to the tradition of the Apple. The Latin word for “evil” is “malum.” The “a” in “malum” is pronounced with a short “a” as the “a” in “multa” The Latin word for “apple” is “malum” – spelled the same as the Latin word for “evil.” The differences being in parts of speech one as an adjective and the other a noun and how “malum” (apple) is pronounced. “Malum” (apple) has a long “a” which is pronounced more like the "a" in "father"
So in short, the reason Adam and Eve are said to have eaten an apple is that it is a play on words in the Latin language that has remained in popular use even to today.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by Vickiweezy(m): 7:11am On Oct 02, 2016
That's how the story was put for us as kids, but we all know the apple represented sex.
The devil opened their eyes to see the pleasure of sex.

OK, seems a lot of people are quoting and want to chew me. Lemme enlighten u a bit.

First of all, we see in Gen. 2:25 that Adam and Eve were not ashamed of their unclothedness. They obviously had the perfect bodies that God had intended for them when they were created. Now, notice after the Fall, in Gen. 3:7 & 10, that Adam and Eve were suddenly ashamed of their bodies. Why would you be ashamed of your body if all you had done was eat a piece of fruit? Now, back in Gen. 3:3, Eve tells Satan that neither she nor Adam can 'touch' the 'fruit' of the 'Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil' because if they do, they'll die. The word 'touch' here means 'to lay hands upon, to lie with. When you 'lie' with someone in this capacity, it's obviously sexual in nature.
The words 'eat' or 'ate' when used in these passages do not mean the literal consumption of food. The words 'eat' or 'ate' when used in the first 15 verses of Genesis chapter three means '(lit. or fig.) to consume, devour (partake).' Consult Strong's one more time. When you partake in something, that means you are engaging in an activity. And Eve certainly did partake here! She engaged in sex with Satan (the 'serpent') who appeared to her in human form and sexually seduced her. In Gen. 3:13, we read that Eve, called in front of God to account for her misdeed said, 'The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat (partake)' . The word 'beguiled' here means to 'morally seduce'. IT'S NOT A MORAL SEDUCTION TO EAT A LITERAL PIECE OF FRUIT! This further confirms that the grand sin that led to the Fall in the Garden was sexual in nature. In Gen. 3:6 & 12, we see that Eve led Adam into this debauchery by coaxing him into having sex with a member of one of the Pre-Adamic races. Gen. 3:15 then tells us that two literal, biological seedlines are to come forth from Eve. They are the seedline of Satan and the seedline of the woman (through Adam).
Verse 15 also tells us that the two seedlines would be in direct conflict with one another and in the end the Satantic seed will be crushed. And there is to be a major 'enmity (hatred)' between the two seedlines. Also, the 'fruit' spoken of in these passages is not literal fruit like an apple or an orange.
Finally, Eve was to have two literal seedlines come forth from her womb. One being the 'serpents' (Satan in human form) and the other being hers through Adam. And these two seedlines are to be in direct conflict and have a deep-seated hatred of one another until the end times.
In Gen. 4:1 & 2, we read that Eve gave birth to Cain and Abel. Now Abel was Adam's son. But Cain was not! Cain is found nowhere in any geneaology in the Bible that traces back to Adam. Read Gen. 5:3-5; 1 Chron. 1:1 and Luke 3:38. In Luke 3:38, it states that the unpolluted descendants of Adam are the sons of God (this of course is a verse tracing the geneaology of Jesus on Mary's (His blood's) side). Why is Cain not mentioned here if he was an unpolluted descendant of Adam? In Gen. 4:8-12, we read about the first major enmity between the two seedlines that was promised by God in Gen. 3:15. Here, Cain murders murders Abel. Now, in Gen. 4:25 and 5:3, we read that Adam and Eve had a son named Seth. The name 'Seth' means 'substitute'. Seth was the 'substitute' for who? ABEL! Remember, Cain was driven away from Adam and Eve. So why couldn't Seth have been a 'substitute' for Cain if he was Adam and Eve's son as well? After all, he no longer lived with them. The answer is simple. Cain was NOT Adam's son! In 1 John 3:12, we read who Cain's literal, biological father is. It's Satan!
Hope you are satisfied.

CC:
Akaujaa:

Sex? How can you think that way, forgetting that God created man and woman and ordered them to multiply. How would man have multiplied without engaging in sex? Bros talk wetin u know ooo
toocoded:

Ive always thought bout that too. But how were they suppose to give birth to their offspring Or was d sex only meant for solely making babies or were they suppose to do it using d cat style
jstriker442:
how was reproduction designed. SCHOLAR
mykey27:

How would they have obeyed the "be fruitful & multiply" command. Are you trying to say Adam & Eve would use clay as God to multiply?

Don't say what the Bible has not.
Figs:
u ar grossly wrng
ElsonMorali:

Wrong. It isn't sex. God created them and asked them to multiply. Surely not by vomiting their kids.
Emeskhalifa:

ogar Sir wasn't she (Eve) Adams wife??
or was the sex btwn Satan and Eve?. if yes, how then was Adam part of the sin committed??
betfair:
devil opened humans eyes to see the pleasure of sex...who opened animals eyes to its pleasure of sex?

53 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by olumaxi(m): 7:12am On Oct 02, 2016
Malum says it all....malum apple,malum evil........they must av eaten d later with d seed now growing in d hearts of all human
Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by MrPresident1: 7:16am On Oct 02, 2016
It was idolatry

1 Like

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by Mikel999: 7:17am On Oct 02, 2016
The word evil might translate to sex with eve.

3 Likes

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by momentum85(m): 7:31am On Oct 02, 2016
To me the apple represents sex, Satan had sexual intercourse with Eve, and when Adam her husby came back, she seduced him, had sex with him and their eyes opened. Then Satan had legs and hands like normal human but started crawling after the curse from God.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by WHOcarex: 7:47am On Oct 02, 2016
Na agbalemu them eat undecided

Who nor know say na sex

1 Like

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by Nobody: 7:47am On Oct 02, 2016
No they ate guava .
Ok more seriously, me thinks he popped her cherry cheesy

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by zlatan10(m): 7:47am On Oct 02, 2016
^^^^^ answers it
Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by orunto27: 7:48am On Oct 02, 2016
They sinned against God period.

2 Likes

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by BobUg28(m): 7:49am On Oct 02, 2016
Adam didn't literally eat apple. He ate what closed Abacha's eyes. grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by arosunshine(m): 7:49am On Oct 02, 2016
Religion is a big time scam and only for the gullible.

Nonsense.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by orunto27: 7:50am On Oct 02, 2016
My way of narrating their sins.
Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by samx4real(m): 7:50am On Oct 02, 2016
I think d snake started it by fingering Eve...

And then Eve took it to Adam... The rest na him we dey see so!

5 Likes

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by Nobody: 7:51am On Oct 02, 2016

7 Likes

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by Techpaded(f): 7:51am On Oct 02, 2016
You yourself know the answer

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by Beetwo(m): 7:52am On Oct 02, 2016
If it wasn't apples den, am very sure dey ate banana. You know wat l mean right

2 Likes

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by LastProphet: 7:53am On Oct 02, 2016
the first cause from God to the woman was directed at her kitty cat and not her mouth, so if someone ate apple with his mouth when u cause such a person why not the mouth? but he caused her kitty cat which means the kitty was involved in the sin.

14 Likes

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by shotin(m): 7:53am On Oct 02, 2016
Lol, all this latin ish, trying to translate the untranslated grin, am pretty sure its not apple, but whatever forbidden fruit they ate, they brought suffering into this world...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by angelo5uk(m): 7:53am On Oct 02, 2016
I know many of the people here won't agree with the me.
But I think that story shouldn't be interpreted literally like many other stories in these religious religious texts.
Most of those stories are Esoteric Allegories and didn't happen. They have deep hidden meanings, codes, symbols and lessons in such stories.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by Youngzedd(m): 7:53am On Oct 02, 2016
shocked shocked

Just observing what people are saying

2 Likes

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by WHOcarex: 7:54am On Oct 02, 2016
momentum85:
To me the apple represents sex, Satan had sexual intercourse with Eve, and when Adam her husby came back, she seduced him, had sex with him and their eyes opened. Then Satan had legs and hands like normal human but started crawling after the curse from God.
But when God created them He said they should go into the world and multiply. How were they supposed to do that without sex??

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by Nobody: 7:54am On Oct 02, 2016
-
Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by UncleSnr(m): 7:54am On Oct 02, 2016
Mikel999:
The word evil might translate to sex with eve.
So you mean, they were created not to have sex. How do they reproduce if not through sex?

7 Likes

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by hopefulLandlord: 7:54am On Oct 02, 2016

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by Akshow: 7:55am On Oct 02, 2016
Y people refuse to see through the senseless illogical explanation in these religious books beat my imagination.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by cutelover19(m): 7:55am On Oct 02, 2016
the fruit must be a bastardy named Konji. Chai, oga Adam but why? punany too sweet sha

3 Likes

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by legalgoon: 7:56am On Oct 02, 2016
I thought it was apple now cry
Did my Sunday school teachers lie

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by MaziOmenuko: 7:56am On Oct 02, 2016
For where:
What sort of apple eating led to a curse on the reproductive system rather than the digestive system?

What a disfubctional believe!

5 Likes

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by MadCow1: 7:56am On Oct 02, 2016
My only problem is why was God against Mankind having the knowledge of good and evil?

And why has he stayed pissed off with mankind since that time till now over 5000 years .. undecided

And how cam you say he is all forgiving when he has not sent man back to Eden to start all over?

Why did it take his Son coming to die first before he started considering forgiving us?

Pfft...

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by uju22(f): 7:57am On Oct 02, 2016
Hmmm me thinking that apple is sex
Re: The Evil Apple: Did Adam And Eve Really Eat An Apple? by WHOcarex: 7:57am On Oct 02, 2016
Who ever believed it was an apple anyway? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Prophetess Rose Kelvin Feeds The Less Privileged (Video) / Seun, Finally I Want To Give You An Undeniable Proof of God's Existence. / Will I Be Making A Mistake By Becoming A Jehovah's Witness?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.