Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,036 members, 7,807,111 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:44 AM

What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate (30817 Views)

What Are The Career Option For Biochemistry Graduate / What Are The Career Opportunities For English Graduates? / The Career Advice I Wish I Had At 25 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by sorepco(m): 8:32am On Oct 07, 2016
Cara, listen to this guy. I wanted to say exactly what he said but seeing it here i decided to ask u to listen to him.

booz:
There are opportunities, but very few ones. Take for example, UNICEF and other international bodies hire for nutrition advisors which perfectly suits your course of study and I bet you the pay is very good. But one disturbing thing is that, they require between 5-10 years of working experience and/or advanced degrees for you to be hired. Where would you get that? My suggestion is, try getting a well established hospital or a teaching hospital where they have nutritionist role, gather experience there for your CV and you are good to go.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by presido2e(m): 8:33am On Oct 07, 2016
I am amazed with the replies this thread have generated. I am a Registered Dietitian-Nutritionist. There are amazing opportunities in this field. As a dietitian, you can work in health centres, hospitals etc.....using medical nutrition therapy to manage different diet related ailments such as (but not limited to) diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, gout, CVA etc..... Believe me, it is amazing. For the salary, it is lucrative (comparable to other para medical discipline in the health profession). You are started with CONHESS 9 Step 2 (in UNTH) or CONHESS 8 step 2 (other hospitals).

As a nutritionist, you can work in HMOs, NGOs, agencies like NAFDAC, SON etc. You can also work as a medical delegate or nutrition advisor to multinationals like Nestle, Promasidor etc.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by DeRay98(m): 8:50am On Oct 07, 2016
kernigsloan:
You can work in a hospital. Most hospitals have a nutrition and dietetics unit.
Part of ur job description will be to advice on the best type of meal a patient with a particular condition should tk. eg u'll be d 1 to advice a patient with DM on his/her nutrition.
For those saying she should open a restaurant, a dietician is someone who studies about human nutrition and diet. Dieticians are the only healthcare professionals licensed to assess and TREAT nutritional problems.
This is different from some one who studied home economics

This post is very correct. Op take note.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by feran15(m): 9:01am On Oct 07, 2016
GeoOla25:
what were you told in school by your lecturers during freshers orientation... ....lol you have been scammed after 4-5 years in school.

It's obvious that the OP just secured admission into the course. And doesn't know about the course
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by Toosine: 9:10am On Oct 07, 2016
If you can afford to take a Masters or Diploma in Public Health...you can get a good job with NGO .
UNICEF has declared malnutrition an emergency in North- East Nigeria so you are on point now.
But of course,you will have to be willing to relocate to the North...that is where the money is.
All the best.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by Nobody: 9:12am On Oct 07, 2016
No career path in Nigeria for most courses. Just do am anyhow you see.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by Paulancebay(m): 9:46am On Oct 07, 2016
Read "why A students work for C students and why B students work for Government"
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by ngolokante(m): 9:46am On Oct 07, 2016
You could join the Armed Forces as a DSSC officer. I have come across a number of Dieticians in the Army
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by Paulancebay(m): 9:46am On Oct 07, 2016
Read "why A students work for C students and why B students work for Government" by Robert Kiyosaki!
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by osinachijude: 9:50am On Oct 07, 2016
CaraJewel:
Hi all,really keen on knowing your views..would also like to know if they get jobs..if jobs are available and easy to find..plus are they paid well..and can they be self employed.. Thanks

Hello Cara, People with such qualifications can be would in the Fast Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) sector, companies like FrieslandCampina (makers of Peak etc), Nestle etc need them as executive sales rep, because of their knowledge of Nutrition. These companies produce "Infant Toddler" (IFT) milk, like Peak 123 and Peak 456, NAN, FRISO etc. These products cannot be advertised on TV, so Nutritionist are hired to visit health care facilities and try to convince doctor to recommend their products to mothers and their babies. Salary range is like 3m/pa(250k a mth) to 6m(500k), depending or your level and organization you work for. where I work, they are called Medical Detailing Managers (MDMs) not to worry that one na just big name.

hope this helps, I could help with more details if u want.

regards.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by Nobody: 10:01am On Oct 07, 2016
CaraJewel:
Hi all,really keen on knowing your views..would also like to know if they get jobs..if jobs are available and easy to find..plus are they paid well..and can they be self employed.. Thanks

u can open your own firm and become a consultant dietician.
Target an area with well to do rich fat men & women and create good diet plans that will make them loose weight. print fliers and share it in d churches and schools within d area. make sure u look slim and good, they will start coming for ur services in order to loose weight.
u can also top it up with baking and showcasing snacks for sale.
GRA's, Housing Estates and newly developed areas will make a good site.

d poster above me is on point too
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by DifferentBoy1(m): 10:11am On Oct 07, 2016
They are dieticians, they run consultancies on food and nutrition, they can also be cooks supervisors/head cooks in badges, oil companies, hotels, government houses... ... But their chances are limited in Nigeria because, Africans feel they can eat whatever and life goes on and would want to spend money on food consultancies like the whites...(Dirty/junk no deh kill Africa man).
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by samzzycash(m): 10:11am On Oct 07, 2016
CaraJewel:
i guess they have giving you good answers..this is a very good course same course i want to study..
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by uhiochris1(m): 10:37am On Oct 07, 2016
CaraJewel:

self employment.... yes... ( food and Nutrition blog)
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by Nobody: 10:45am On Oct 07, 2016
I studied Human Nutrition and Dietetics too and I am looking for ways to link Nutrition and Entertainment... Like publicize nutrition in the Media,any ideas?

Thanks y'all
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by darocha1: 11:10am On Oct 07, 2016
braniac11:
Obviously those saying Op should go open a restaurant are ignorant of what Nutrition and Dietetics entails.
As a Nutritionist or Dietitian, you have a very broad career prospect if you can be patient, build yourself very and I believe the sky would be your starting point.
In Nutrition and Dietetics, you can decide to specialize as a Nutritionist or a Dietitian.
Nutritionist deals majorly with the public, and that's why you have public health nutrition which gives opportunity working with NGO'S such as Unicef, Action Against hunger and a whole lot of them especially now that there is a serious malnutrition problem in the North East. Note: all these NGO'S pay in dollars. Also, as a Nutritionist, you can work as Nutrition Advisor to companies like Nestle, Friesland Wamco, Nestle wayeth, Cardbury etc
Coming down to the Dietetics aspect now, Dietetics is more or less a clinical nutrition. Here alongside other health teams help to manage patients with nutritional problem e.g Diabetes. Kidney disease et.al.
However, before you can become a registered Dietitian you must go through a one year internship in an accredited teaching hospital and of course it comes with a good money that you can start life with if you decide not to practice. I hope I helped a bit.

This knowledgeable person has answered you so well.
To add to it, your expertise is also needed in paedratic centres and fmcg that specializes in baby products.
however, like he rightly said. if you wish to go far in this department, you need to engage in internship and free services inorder to develop yourself and have a hand-on approach.
Secondaly, if you are buoyant, kindly go to ghana (uni legon ) to be precise. Theire is a special faculty with well funded necessities for your course and health organizations from foreign countries do come in often to recruit.
Goodluck

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 11:48am On Oct 07, 2016
alameen21:
source for funds and open a very nutritious food restaurant.... the better ur food + class and variety , the more you are patronized and the more wealthy u became .
shikenah!!! what more are u looking for ??
funny u..tho high class restaurant aint bad..u av to book for reservation first..
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 11:50am On Oct 07, 2016
alameen21:
source for funds and open a very nutritious food restaurant.... the better ur food + class and variety , the more you are patronized and the more wealthy u became .
shikenah!!! what more are u looking for ??
funny u..tho high class restaurant aint bad..u av to book for reservation first..tho i asked wat careers i can do..if i want to do dis dat would be later..
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 11:52am On Oct 07, 2016
InvertedHammer:
/ None
\
tnx..ur excused
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 11:54am On Oct 07, 2016
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 11:56am On Oct 07, 2016
bolaji3071:
They can work in the BANK, infact if you studied zoology in school banks will accept you with open arms as far as you are still within their age limit
who u dey tell..see u should af jxt viewed and let it go
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 12:00pm On Oct 07, 2016
GeoOla25:
what were you told in school by your lecturers during freshers orientation... ....lol you have been scammed after 4-5 years in school.
see if u noticed i didnt say i did d course or want to..i simply asked a ques..ion know y people are trying to be funny wen tz not..i tot people wil be more matured here dan in romance section
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 12:02pm On Oct 07, 2016
GeoOla25:
Maybe cuz u saw grad on d topic..i had to drive my point doesnt mean i am
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 12:04pm On Oct 07, 2016
kernigsloan:
You can work in a hospital. Most hospitals have a nutrition and dietetics unit.
Part of ur job description will be to advice on the best type of meal a patient with a particular condition should tk. eg u'll be d 1 to advice a patient with DM on his/her nutrition.
For those saying she should open a restaurant, a dietician is someone who studies about human nutrition and diet. Dieticians are the only healthcare professionals licensed to assess and TREAT nutritional problems.
This is different from some one who studied home economics
Tnx
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 12:06pm On Oct 07, 2016
marysyviabrown:
the best is to be self employed, open your own catering business.
I guess anyone can do dat...do u af an insight on d course..no And datz wat i want
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 12:08pm On Oct 07, 2016
booz:
There are opportunities, but very few ones. Take for example, UNICEF and other international bodies hire for nutrition advisors which perfectly suits your course of study and I bet you the pay is very good. But one disturbing thing is that, they require between 5-10 years of working experience and/or advanced degrees for you to be hired. Where would you get that? My suggestion is, try getting a well established hospital or a teaching hospital where they have nutritionist role, gather experience there for your CV and you are good to go.
Tnx...maybe person for enter uni at age 10
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 12:11pm On Oct 07, 2016
Maxvasia:
Yea there are opportunities. They are needed in places like Nestle, Cadbury, NB, and other large food and beverage companies, even in teaching hospitals. But u know the drill, without connection in this country, even a Doctor can end up in a bank. (I am a Doc so dnt tell me am wrong tongue . oga Seun, how come this thread made front page? What are ur yardsticks for pushing headings to front page sef? Must one be a female b4 that can happen? Cos av posted thought provoking and important issues that can affect the live of the average nigerian and NONE ever made front page. And yes, am Male.
Lol fp?..i didnt know...tnx for ur contribution
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 12:12pm On Oct 07, 2016
Contact17:
You can work in hospitals for sure.
Tnx girl
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 12:14pm On Oct 07, 2016
Aquariann:
Op, I presume you've just secured admission into a Nigerian university to study this course? Which might not have been what you applied for or wanted?

Not rily
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 12:16pm On Oct 07, 2016
ednut1:
get ur 2.1, apply to banks audit firms and other finiancial institutions jare. about 80% of Science and engine students end up in the financial industry. such is life
What if i want a first class..well tnx but am not interested in fin.ind
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 12:17pm On Oct 07, 2016
emilo26:
My sis the opportunities are huge. Remember there is something humans cannot do without and that is food. They can work in FMCG fast moving consumer goods most especially the ones that specializes in foods such as Cadbury, Nestlé, uac, rite, nutricima, fan milk, chi vita, they are many. Also hospital is an option, education is sector, fast foods such as tfc, genesis, KFC, etc and for the pay, they are well paid. Don't be scared ooo. Submit your cv in any company that deals with food
tnx
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 12:18pm On Oct 07, 2016
ogedanny:
Yes there are lot of opportunities; My Sister Inlaw studied Food and Nutrition and I advised her to start a blog:

Here is the blog http://naijafoodtherapy.com/

She is already receiving calls and request from people.
Tnx i wil visit that blog

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My MD Slapped Me, Please I Need Your Advice / 10 Reasons Why Some People Will Never Succeed / Fuel Subsidy Removal: Lapo MFB Increases Staff Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.