Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,508 members, 7,808,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:10 PM

Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users (17181 Views)

What Bank Pays The Best Interest Rate For Savings Account In Nigeria? / What Is The Maximum Deposit And Balance For A Savings Account? / CBN Introduces New Charges On ATM Cards, Cheques (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by Nobody: 12:40pm On Oct 03, 2016
Deposit Money Banks (DMBs) are yet to comply with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) directive that they allow cheques payments into savings accounts.

The apex bank instructed the lenders that savings account customers with Bank Verification Number (BVN) should be allowed to deposit cheques not more than N2 million in value, per customer per day, into their accounts.

But two months after, the lenders claimed they were still upgrading their systems to enable them comply with the directive.

Adebola Oloye, a customer of one of the deposit money banks, told The Nation that his lender rejected a cheque of N200,000 he wanted to lodge into his savings account, outright.

“The banks are not complying with the CBN’s directive. The apex bank has to compel them to do the needful because I believe the policy will help to boost confidence in the banking system,” he said.

CBN Director, Banking and Payment System Department, ‘Dipo Fatokun, had said the decision to allow cheques in savings accounts is in furtherance of its efforts at strengthening the Nigerian payments system.

The apex bank removed fixed interest rate on credit cards and discontinued the actual address verification in account opening, for customers with BVN. It also asked banks to begin to embed BVN biometric data in payment cards issued henceforth, to facilitate off-line BVN verification and biometric-based customer authentication on such payment devices as Automated Teller Machines (ATM), Point of Sale (PoS), kiosks, among others.

Former Keystone Bank Executive Director, Richard Obire, said the banks had no reason not to comply. He said: “The CBN needs to wake the banks up by setting a compliance deadline for them otherwise, the objective of the policy shift will not be achieved.”

He added: ”In the past, they asked their customers to get two references before cheques are acceptable into the accounts. I understand they are taking precautions as accepting cheques can expose them to risks, but with the BVN and registered mobile phone details, I think they should comply without further delay”.

Obire explained that accepting cheques into savings accounts would boost financial inclusion and create opportunity for low income earners to pay their dividend warrants and other cheque-related instruments into their accounts, until such accounts can be credited directly through the e-dividend platform.

http://thenationonlineng.net/banks-reject-cheques-savings-accounts-deposits/

Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by Nobody: 12:41pm On Oct 03, 2016
Cc:
Lalasticlala
Seun

Tell your friends to issue us Cheque ooo
Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by Sharon6(f): 1:46pm On Oct 03, 2016
I wonder when things will work accordingly in Nigeria without Being enforced.

GIVE YOUR SKIN A TREAT, CHECK MY SIGNATURE!

2 Likes

Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by Nobody: 1:47pm On Oct 03, 2016
CBN is not in charge at all
Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by tolexy007(m): 1:47pm On Oct 03, 2016
make e sa no affect my MMM payment tomao

4 Likes

Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by kingsilly(m): 1:47pm On Oct 03, 2016
Hmmmmmm
Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by Shiifi(m): 1:48pm On Oct 03, 2016
CBN and policy these regime b like
Lalasticlala and snake

2 Likes

Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by cdoffx(m): 1:49pm On Oct 03, 2016
Nigeria and disregard of law and order
Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by fulaniHERDSman(m): 1:49pm On Oct 03, 2016
grin where we see the money por defosit grin
*continues chewing my gworo*
Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by oshibote1: 1:50pm On Oct 03, 2016
What
Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by Lovelynature(m): 1:50pm On Oct 03, 2016
Nigeria

Always off point
Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by Tunizzy(m): 1:51pm On Oct 03, 2016
The banks should comply, since most Nigerians have gotten their BVN

1 Like

Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by WowSweetGuy(m): 1:51pm On Oct 03, 2016
.I truly think it's worth sharing!

My suggestion to d Federal government. A senator earns N36,000,000 per month. If this is divided into two d senator collects N18,000,000 and d remaining N18,000,000 can be used to employ 200 Nigerians that will earn N90,000 per month, 200 pple multiply by 109 senators = 21800 employees, meaning 200 Nigerians can leave comfortably on half of monthly income of just one senator. A member of federal house of rep.earns N25,000,000 per month. If dis is divided into two a honourable earns N12.5million per month. The remaining N12.5million can be used to employ 135 Nigerians who will earn N92,500 per month. 135 Nigerians multiply by 360 honourables in the Federal house of reps. =48600 employees, meaning 135 Nigerians can live comfortably on half of a monthly income of just a honourable memner of NASS. Pls forward to d
Federal government, Senators, and Honourables in Nigeria. This means that this administration can actually employ 70,400 Nigerians that will earn N90,000 nd N92,500 respectively from the reduction of monthly income of senators and honourables in Nigeria. As for me if 25% of their income become their take home now to safe cost Nigeria can employ 140,800 Nigeria which I believe we Nigerian should demand this reduction in pay instead of Sale of hard earn FG assets. This should go down to Governors, ministers, President and Vice-President.
Please Re-broadcast!!

28 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by Ask4Info: 1:51pm On Oct 03, 2016
WE HAVE MORE OF BLOGGERS THAN REAL JOURNALIST IN NIGERIA OF TODAY.

JUST WITHIN THE PAST WEEK I PAID SEVERAL CHEQUES INTO FOUR DIFFERENT SAVINGS ACCOUNT OF MINE SO WHICH ARE THE BANK REJECTING CHEQUES FOR SAVINGS ACCOUNTS?

ENOUGH OF ALL THESE ANONYMOUS THIS, RELIABLE SOURCE THAT. EITHER JOUNALIST ARE FORCED TO DISCLOSE FULL DETAILS OF THEIR LYING FINDINGS OR MADE TO SHUT UP.

THE MEDIA CAUSED MAJORITY OF THE ECONOMY CRISIS TODAY DUE TO THEIR FALSE SPECULATIONS AND LIES. THAT BROUGHT ABOUT GENERAL PANIC.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by rjek: 1:59pm On Oct 03, 2016
WowSweetGuy:

My suggestion to d Federal government. A senator earns N36,000,000 per month. If this is divided into two d senator collects N18,000,000 and d remaining N18,000,000 can be used to employ 200 Nigerians that will earn N90,000 per month, 200 pple multiply by 109 senators = 21800 employees, meaning 200 Nigerians can leave comfortably on half of monthly income of just one senator. A member of federal house of rep.earns N25,000,000 per month. If dis is divided into two a honourable earns N12.5million per month. The remaining N12.5million can be used to employ 135 Nigerians who will earn N92,500 per month. 135 Nigerians multiply by 360 honourables in the Federal house of reps. =48600 employees, meaning 135 Nigerians can live comfortably on half of a monthly income of just a honourable memner of NASS. Pls forward to d
Federal government, Senators, and Honourables in Nigeria. This means that this administration can actually employ 70,400 Nigerians that will earn N90,000 nd N92,500 respectively from the reduction of monthly income of senators and honourables in Nigeria. As for me if 25% of their income become their take home now to safe cost Nigeria can employ 140,800 Nigeria which I believe we Nigerian should demand this reduction in pay instead of Sale of hard earn FG assets. This should go down to Governors, ministers, President and Vice-President.
Please Re-broadcast!!
Go post dis on vanguard newspaper

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by talk2hb1(m): 2:00pm On Oct 03, 2016
Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by watchindelta(m): 2:16pm On Oct 03, 2016
yeye UNION BANK jst made my junior bro sent 90k twice, this kind time for Nigeria, i beg am to help me send moni to person for NIGERIA through ATM card but it showed transaction failed, dem him go firstbank transaction succeed. imagine he no no say the first transaction for UNIONBANK went through even with the failed it displayed. so i jst lost 90k so. becuz of unionbank. so who i go blame na my junior bro or yeye UNION BANK. ATM transaction is very risk so cry cry i jst dey vex angry angry CBN n Nigerians take note ATM transaction very very risk.
Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by mrbillz(m): 2:21pm On Oct 03, 2016
watchindelta:
yeye UNION BANK jst made my junior bro sent 90k twice, this kind time for Nigeria, i beg am to help me send moni to person for NIGERIA through ATM card but it showed transaction failed, dem him go firstbank transaction succeed. imagine he no no say the first transaction for UNIONBANK went through even with the failed it displayed. so i jst lost 90k so. becuz of unionbank. so who i go blame na my junior bro or yeye UNION BANK. ATM transaction is very risk so cry cry i jst dey vex angry angry CBN n Nigerians take note ATM transaction very very risk.
Sorry o bro! Shey na devil hin transfer the money to wey the supposed transaction can't be reversed since it's been charged for multiple transactions. Just wondering tho!

4 Likes

Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by OSELAWAMEN: 2:26pm On Oct 03, 2016
Eco Bank, Otta branch staffer are not aware of the policy. They rejected my wife's cheque twice. please someone should educate them. UBN, FBN and WEMA bank are accepting cheques to savings.

2 Likes

Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by Neimar: 2:27pm On Oct 03, 2016
my UBA mobile app dey show inactive user and I dey use am

any hope?
Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by LydayBobo(m): 2:33pm On Oct 03, 2016
Stanbic IBTC Bank accepts of which I am sure
Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by bigtt76(f): 2:34pm On Oct 03, 2016
Diamond bank chop my money nor deliver the airtime I bought grin I de wait for them.
Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by Jacko1(m): 2:46pm On Oct 03, 2016
Lets not put pressure on our banks
Nigeria is a dubious country

Due diligence is not carried out on an individual with savings acct and you want him to cash in cheque

Am with the banks on this one. Make the same account opening criteria for current accts on savings acct. Then they will issue cheques

2 Likes

Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by CharleyCharley: 2:49pm On Oct 03, 2016
WowSweetGuy:

Please Re-broadcast!!

So?

How would this broadcast change anything!? No be today we start to read broadcast messages joor. Shift go one side.
Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by watchindelta(m): 2:52pm On Oct 03, 2016
mrbillz:
Sorry o bro! Shey na devil hin transfer the money to wey the supposed transaction can't be reversed since it's been charged for multiple transactions. Just wondering tho!
bros the thing be say the guy don only come my store twice to sent moni from western union here in italy. n d phone number wey the guy put for western union no dey go, so i jst take the moni n acct number, dem i tell my junior bro to help me send am becuz such moni dey em acct n the gain is better for me than if i use westi. i don,t even kn the person for Nigeria that is receiving the moni. cry cry if na person i kn den na different case. ATM transaction dey risking cry
Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by Carinaflo(f): 3:02pm On Oct 03, 2016
zenith bank accepts cheque in to savings account. I'm very sure of that.

1 Like

Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by Martty7: 3:02pm On Oct 03, 2016
Try GTBank.
Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by ebereokey(m): 3:06pm On Oct 03, 2016
Let me think

Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by 4four(m): 3:11pm On Oct 03, 2016
bigtt76:
Diamond bank chop my money nor deliver the airtime I bought grin I de wait for them.
send mail to complains@diamondbonk.com am sure de will reverse it

1 Like

Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by ccollins(m): 3:28pm On Oct 03, 2016
tolexy007:
make e sa no affect my MMM payment tomao
please help me on directive I need to follow. do U need to wait for 48 hours to confirm payment after U have provided help
Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by bigtt76(f): 3:30pm On Oct 03, 2016
Trust me ....I did last night and sent to both Diamond Bank and Interswitch (who are the actual vendor). Both replied promising to look into it. Thanks a lot.

4four:
send mail to complains@diamondbonk.com am sure de will reverse it
Re: Banks Reject Cheques Issuance To Savings Account Users by tolexy007(m): 3:32pm On Oct 03, 2016
ccollins:
please help me on directive I need to follow. do U need to wait for 48 hours to confirm payment after U have provided help

didn't get you, have already made the payment or have u being just paid?..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Igbos Are Blamed For Substandard Goods In Nigeria: Why / Mike Adenuga Net Worth Hits $7.4 Billion, Becomes Nigeria’s Second Richest / Aliko Dangote Is $2.5 Billion Richer Than Oprah Winfrey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.