Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:19 AM

Nland programmers: i need your advise - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nland programmers: i need your advise (1864 Views)

Java Programmers ,I Need Help Fixing This Code. / .net Programmers I Need Your Help O / Programmers, I Need Your Advice. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nland programmers: i need your advise by okwyee(m): 4:04pm On Oct 03, 2016
Good afternoon,
i have spent quite a lot of time on this board reading through most of the topics I've come across and I'm really impressed one can find such huge wealth of knowledge and information in this community which have challenged me to take this on... I have a burning passion for programming, web development and software development to be precise, but i clearly don't know where to start.

I am currently on long vacation and i will resume school come November which has given me enough time to research about most programming languages, so i can have a choice of one to start with when i resume school and possibly stick with on the long run, but the more i come into conclusion, the more i become confused....

i read Html, css and javascript are ideal for Web development, but i got to realise that they are just markup languages...
I researched further and learned about python which looked to be the promise language until i learnt about the trinity of html,css and javascript combined with php and sql....

further research made me find c++ and c which have made me more confused...

What's making me confused is most times i read and compare with what i wish to do after learning a language and most times i read that python is absolutely fine and the next i read php is the best...

I want to use my ideas and create a website and mobile application (because most people make use of mobile apps to access websites now adays) that will solve a problem in my school, it will make students/users give a description of what they have so anyone interested could contact them on the website. (this is just how my ideas looks like but I won't mention the particular problem it's meant to solve, if you can guess it, pls dont steal my idea... if you can't, good..lol)

Its not a social website, and I don't intend it to be because i discovered that in this country we don't usually develop unique problem solvers but try to copy already prominent ones (no offence intended here) this is a completely unique idea of mine that i would do anything to make it become a reality.. although I've concluded I'll learn java in the future for mobile app development.

With the above said, i would like to know which languages you'll recommend, i know there is already a thread for that, but i don't understand most of what they saying there...

thanks in advance for reading and more thanks for any peice of advise given .. smiley

and also you could do extra for me by providing and estimate time to the language you recommend if i study and practice it for at least 3hrs daily and maybe materials/websites that'll be useful for learning... wink

programming gurus come to my aid biko..
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by elfico(m): 4:43pm On Oct 03, 2016
HTML, CSS and Javascript is a must for you to learn. For the server side language, I would suggest PHP.
PHP is easy to learn and master for beginner programmers and it has a community support.
Python is good too, but its not as easy to learn as PHP.
C++ and C are mostly deployed for System and Application software. You really shouldnt bother yourself about them since all you want is web developement.

After mastering html,css,javascript,php and mysql, you can leverage this knowledge and use it build hybrid apps since you said you want to make an app too.

Remember, I didnt say any of the above would be easy. It would take you a long time to master all the above technologies and use the effectively to build your website and app. But if you have the passion, you can succeed.
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by seunthomas: 6:18pm On Oct 03, 2016
Before i can give any advice, i would ask what your age is.

And what you hope to achieve with programming.

Where do you expect to be in a year,5 years,10 years,etc.

See programming as a long-term investment, something you will be working on for many years to come.

Most people start up wanting to make money within a year or 2.

It took me close to 3 years to learn java and grasp it very well.

I was coming from a c/c++ background and so enforcing objects was a totally different way of thinking.

And i never made any money from programming until several years after starting.

So don't be in a haste to be productive, learn and gather experience.

1 Like

Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by logicalhumour: 9:56pm On Oct 03, 2016
You want to develop that website... look, don't hurry (and next time don't even give a hint about your idea on some platform like this ).

Well, if you had an experience in one or more other languages before, I would have advised you to be develope your site on-the-go of learning. When I entered programming, I was using those other categories...C++, Java, Python, C.

After sometime, a brilliant unique idea sparked in my head. Trust me I had no idea of PHP / MySQL or any RDMS (I knew those were the tools I needed ). But I was Baba in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python. (to an extent C++, Java, C ).

Well, with my knowledge I began development on the fly of learning... but the difference between you and me is... with my previous knowledge of OOPs.

1. I will know about some dangers without someone telling me / me reading... eg I knew MySQL could be injected right before I read it.
2. When I want to perform an action... eg to split a string / create a class... I didn't know how to do it but I knew a good programming lang should have methods for that.

Conclusion

With the content of your post, you have no idea it small of JS ans so on..

So my bit of advice is, calm down and learn it if you don't want bad-guys to invade your site When created.

Sorry to tell you this but I will.

Programmers are getting more intelligent these days... some are now wise enough to stop creating social networks and some other forum-like / 'school management stuff' etc bla bla bla.

......so, surly before you finish learning. A more experienced programmer would come you with this your idea.

Don't get discouraged. Learn it for the knowledge and not for your idea... one day Owoicho will bless you with something good (like me ).

1 Like

Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by Nobody: 10:00pm On Oct 03, 2016
trollin. . . .
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by okwyee(m): 1:03am On Oct 04, 2016
seunthomas:

See programming as a long-term investment, something you will be working on for many years to come.

I was coming from a c/c++ background and so enforcing objects was a totally different way of thinking.

Thank you sir, I have always admired the you on this forum..
I am just 17years old, though I first heard about programming when I was 12 but then my instructor didn't quite shed enough light on it as I didn't own a computer originally and also the basic things i had to know on a computer too...

First things first, I'm not after the money now, as I know and believe that will come on it's own when I have started solving problems, I've still got an extra 3 years to spend in the uni (I'm studying botany, which is not my dream course) and I hope that's enough time to learn and probably gather experience....

I've made alot of decisions on my own and it seems I have dedicated my future to programming, I know it will be difficult, but with the passion I have for it I know I'll triumph.. Thanks for your response, hope you reply soon smiley
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by seunthomas: 1:11am On Oct 04, 2016
okwyee:

I am just 17years old, though I first heard about programming when I was 12 but then my instructor didn't quite shed enough light on it as I didn't own a computer originally and also the basic things i had to know on a computer too...

First things first, I'm not after the money now, as I know and believe that will come on it's own when I have started solving problems, I've still got an extra 3 years to spend in the uni (I'm studying botany, which is not my dream course) and I hope that's enough time to learn and probably gather experience....

I've made alot of decisions on my own and it seems I have dedicated my future to programming, I know it will be difficult, but with the passion I have for it I know I'll triumph.. Thanks for your response, hope you reply soon smiley

Bro, the sky is the starting point for you. We actually share somethings in common. I for one also did not study CS in school. That means you need to work double hard because its much more difficult to break even in a line you did not study in school.

I have a friend who also like you read botany and is the CEO of a company that makes over 50k$ in revenue.

Who knows you could be the one that makes people like Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gate look like they knew very little.

Like you have stated passion is key. I loved coding so much it affected my social skills.

I welcome you to a world of opportunities. Hope we can chat more anytime you are able.
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by okwyee(m): 1:21am On Oct 04, 2016
logicalhumour:
You want to develop that website... look, don't hurry (and next time don't even give a hint about your idea on some platform like this ).

Well, if you had an experience in one or more other languages before, I would have advised you to be develope your site on-the-go of learning. When I entered programming, I was using those other categories...C++, Java, Python, C.

After sometime, a brilliant unique idea sparked in my head. Trust me I had no idea of PHP / MySQL or any RDMS (I knew those were the tools I needed ). But I was Baba in HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python. (to an extent C++, Java, C ).

Well, with my knowledge I began development on the fly of learning... but the difference between you and me is... with my previous knowledge of OOPs.

1. I will know about some dangers without someone telling me / me reading... eg I knew MySQL could be injected right before I read it.
2. When I want to perform an action... eg to split a string / create a class... I didn't know how to do it but I knew a good programming lang should have methods for that.

Conclusion

With the content of your post, you have no idea it small of JS ans so on..

So my bit of advice is, calm down and learn it if you don't want bad-guys to invade your site When created.

Sorry to tell you this but I will.

Programmers are getting more intelligent these days... some are now wise enough to stop creating social networks and some other forum-like / 'school management stuff' etc bla bla bla.

......so, surly before you finish learning. A more experienced programmer would come you with this your idea.

Don't get discouraged. Learn it for the knowledge and not for your idea... one day Owoicho will bless you with something good (like me ).

Thanks for your reply, I admit I don't know p in programming, but I have read about html before from some Android app, then implement it on my blog the I had no idea of what I was doing then(i made a mess of my blog which made me abandon it, tho I liked the fact that some of what I wrote was displayed as I wanted which made me feel little geeky grin) I later download udacity on Google Play and watched some python tutorial videos on it but midway I realised that I didn't quite have a good introduction on programming, that's why I stopped to seek advise....

If anyone comes up with my idea kudos to him, bit I know that I can do beyond my "now imagination" if I know how to code... But I don't really think anyone in my school can do it though, I met quite a few so called computer science students, and hell I've never met anyone that knows how to program or even anyone that knows a coursemate that knows how to program, all I've met are LA cram LA pour material students...

And please how did you learn those languages so I could follow suite, and if there's any way I can contact you so you could be my mentor, it'll be appreciated, I sent you mail through nairaland, not sure if it works though.....

Thanks again bro smiley
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by okwyee(m): 1:23am On Oct 04, 2016
seunthomas:

Bro, the sky is the starting point for you. We actually share somethings in common. I for one also did not study CS in school. That means you need to work double hard because its much more difficult to break even in a line you did not study in school.

I have a friend who also like you read botany and is the CEO of a company that makes over 50k$ in revenue.

Who knows you could be the one that makes people like Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gate look like they knew very little.

Like you have stated passion is key. I loved coding so much it affected my social skills.

I welcome you to a world of opportunities. Hope we can chat more anytime you are able.

Yes yes, I'm not sleeping anytime soon tonight, I sent you a mail
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by okwyee(m): 1:24am On Oct 04, 2016
We could talk privately?
Which is convenient for you?
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by okwyee(m): 3:33am On Oct 04, 2016
elfico:
HTML, CSS and Javascript is a must for you to learn. For the server side language, I would suggest PHP.
PHP is easy to learn and master for beginner programmers and it has a community support.
Python is good too, but its not as easy to learn as PHP.
C++ and C are mostly deployed for System and Application software. You really shouldnt bother yourself about them since all you want is web developement.

After mastering html,css,javascript,php and mysql, you can leverage this knowledge and use it build hybrid apps since you said you want to make an app too.

Remember, I didnt say any of the above would be easy. It would take you a long time to master all the above technologies and use the effectively to build your website and app. But if you have the passion, you can succeed.
Can't python/django be used for server side?
Thanks for your response smiley
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by okwyee(m): 3:43am On Oct 04, 2016
dhtml18:
trollin. . . .
Pls contribute bro
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 04, 2016
seunthomas is already helping you. . . .he is the oga at the top here.
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by elfico(m): 8:58am On Oct 04, 2016
okwyee:

Can't python/django be used for server side?
Thanks for your response smiley
Of course it can. If you prefer python, then go for it. But its not as easy to learn as PHP.
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by logicalhumour: 1:43pm On Oct 04, 2016
okwyee:

Thanks for your reply, I admit I don't know p in programming, but I have read about html before from some Android app, then implement it on my blog the I had no idea of what I was doing then(i made a mess of my blog which made me abandon it, tho I liked the fact that some of what I wrote was displayed as I wanted which made me feel little geeky grin) I later download udacity on Google Play and watched some python tutorial videos on it but midway I realised that I didn't quite have a good introduction on programming, that's why I stopped to seek advise....

If anyone comes up with my idea kudos to him, bit I know that I can do beyond my "now imagination" if I know how to code... But I don't really think anyone in my school can do it though, I met quite a few so called computer science students, and hell I've never met anyone that knows how to program or even anyone that knows a coursemate that knows how to program, all I've met are LA cram LA pour material students...

And please how did you learn those languages so I could follow suite, and if there's any way I can contact you so you could be my mentor, it'll be appreciated, I sent you mail through nairaland, not sure if it works though.....

Thanks again bro smiley
Owk...now I get. What you want to develope is to be used in your school only. (I didn't get that clear before)

Well, you're on the right track if you want me to tutor you. I've tutored many Youth Corpers who served at my place(most became experts )....for Free! (A psychopathic killer do not really care about money) - (I am a psychopathic Programmer grin)

Believe me, I would have thought you for free but I am soooo busy with my current project. ( but no time is late - I believe)

This is how I learnt Programming

I thought my self. Since you have the passion, ull do it...but remember, I didn't start Yesterday. I started Some Years Ago...I was just about 15 then (feeling like a guru with HTML and CSS only) but as time went on...

So...just focus and in no time...you'll be!

Really, there's nothing I love more than seeing a programmer I made a programmer. I would have tutored you for free if I could.

But don't worry, I did it myself... you can also.

This is how I can help
Download:
1. JavaScript - A beginners Guide by John Pollock.
2. If you're still interested in JS after finishing the NO1 then Download "Eloquent JavaScript"
3. Pls don't mind the name of this one...Download "JavaScript, Php and My SQL for Dummies".
4. Php and Mysql by Matt Doole ( don't know if I misspelt the name).
5. Try to understand Algorithms.

Note: Please Skip to NO.3 Nater N01 if you're anxious of putting your I dear into Real life.

...When you're done reading this stuffs ...you'll realise I've helped you.
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by Booyakasha(f): 7:12pm On Oct 04, 2016
okwyee:

I must say.. I'm impressed with your English.
You can join Gdevit, it's a more noob-friendly environment where code speaks.
Note: Next time you're posting a thread, be smart enough to not mention any specific user in the 'title' for help, unless you want replies from ONLY them, because most smart people here will think you do not want opinion from them and thus will ignore your thread, also, this is not good forum etiquette, in some more Programmer-centric/Tech community, you might get banned, luckily, you are in a general forum.

1 Like

Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by lekropasky(m): 8:48pm On Oct 04, 2016
OP. Please pay attention to what booyakasha said.
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 04, 2016
Booyakasha:

Note: Next time you're posting a thread, be smart enough to not mention any specific user in the 'title' for help, unless you want replies from ONLY them, because most smart people here will think you do not want opinion from them and thus will ignore your thread, also, this is not good forum etiquette, in some more Programmer-centric/Tech community, you might get banned, luckily, you are in a general forum.
Yeah, that is the best advise I have for the OP too.
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by Emmach10(m): 10:01pm On Oct 04, 2016
Hy bro, I love your motivation. keep pressing on.

I like you started off programming a few years ago, guess 2012 when I was 13 and like you, am 17 now to be 18 by Dec.

Since then, I was playing with web not until last year when I entered programming proper that's when I realized the time wasted cloning sites and other stuffs.

But by God's grace, am now a comfortable programmer who code in many languages as the difference between languages are syntax and APIs.

So first my advise for you is to forget about entering programming today and producing one big project tomorrow or hitting money. that's not so because it doesn't work like that.

I have this my popular saying to my friend "Program for money and die of frustration ". Really programming is cool but a times frustrating especially when one is bent on making money.

All you need for programming is devotion, seriousness, creative mind and your imagination as you are going to create stuff that hadn't been in existence.

Going to which language to choose, each language or any programming framework has its pros and cons as they are made for different tasks. Left alone for me, web is good especially for beginner but with my experience and expertise in programming, I won't advise you to go that route else like many Nigerian programmer, you end up a visual designer or UI designer and not a programmer.

Our problems here in Nigeria that I will advise you to learn from is to avoid quick money, or to be recognized hence most best brains tends to work offline rather than waste precious time s ranting on social medias. There spending Alot of times chatting than coding.

Another fact is to join a community of programmer like on whatsapp for faster communication for motivation as it helped me Alot because today I couldn't be a Java programmer if not for some Java folks on whatsapp that always jokingly tease and insult me for seeing everything from the python side of life.

And finally the time It takes you to learn a language differs based on some certain conditions like your coding experience, level of understanding, creativity and wisdom(note: wisdom not intelligence ) as programming is not a cram work nor your lecturers assignment of give me what I gave you. Me for instance learnt Java in 2-3 months because of my experience and expertise in other languages. But I made A lot of sacrifice like 18-24 hours of practice, sleepless nights, backaches, sacrificing my food just to code and reading like my life depends on it.

So as I stated earlier, you are still fresh. Don't jump to produce a result fast fast for people to applaud but create something to impact positively on the world.

Invaluable as a programmer, you can't run away from html nor css nor Js and other web frameworks but doing that later will greatly help you than wasting your time on web just in other to have a quick results just to blame yourself later for time waste.

Code big! Learn more!
Don't code for money but for fun and passion then how money gonna flow? You will tell the story better than I do.
Just don't forget the guy that gave you the advice when it happens.

I still remain #Sycontechnology.
Read like your life depends on it!

If you can imagine it, you can code it!

Edit:

Made some changes and corrected typos
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by okwyee(m): 10:03pm On Oct 04, 2016
Booyakasha:

Note: Next time you're posting a thread, be smart enough to not mention

thanks for the earlier compliment and more thanks for letting me know about my topic mistake, it is duly noted and I'll ammend it...
I've not joined a forum before so I don't know much about the rules and regulations smiley
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by okwyee(m): 10:18pm On Oct 04, 2016
dhtml18:
Yeah, that is the best advise I have for the OP too.
hope the new topic is better?
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by okwyee(m): 10:23pm On Oct 04, 2016
Emmach10:
Hy bro, I love your motivation. keep pressing on.

I like you started off programming a few years ago, guess 2012 when I was 13 and like you, am 17 now to be 18 by Dec.

Just don't forget the guy that gave you the advice when it happens.

I still remain #Sycontechnology.
Read like your life depends on it!

If you can imagine it, you can code it!

Edit:

Made some changes and corrected typos

thumbs up bro...
you nailed it...
i like your overall advise, but on the language side I'll still wait for more advise, you all are opening my eyes the ways that my many researches didn't wink
thanks
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by Emmach10(m): 10:32pm On Oct 04, 2016
okwyee:

thumbs up bro...
you nailed it...
i like your overall advise, but on the language side I'll still wait for more advise, you all are opening my eyes the ways that my many researches didn't wink
thanks

Thanks for your appreciation.
You are always welcomed.!

Good day. Off to code as usual. hope you will join the dance soon
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by okwyee(m): 10:34pm On Oct 04, 2016
Emmach10:

Thanks for your appreciation. You are always welcomed.!
Good day. Off to code as usual. hope you will join the dance soon
definitely grin
Re: Nland programmers: i need your advise by Nobody: 12:02am On Oct 05, 2016
seunthomas:

check ur pm

(1) (Reply)

Between computer science and software engineering / Help With Update / Learn Programming Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.