Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,879 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. (40556 Views)

Nigerian Mother In U.S Navy And Her Son Reunite After 7 Months In Sea (Photos) / Wedding Of 42-Year-Old Folasade Dairo, A Nigerian Mother Of 4 In USA / Interesting Ways To Please A Nigerian Mother In Law. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 04, 2016
NevetsIbot:
Op. I'm not even married yet, mum is already listing things she'd have my wife do for me..... I'm just looking at her
Lol. cheesy
Hope your future wife can breath fresh air when she moves in?.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by NevetsIbot(m): 5:52pm On Oct 04, 2016
Benita27:
Lol. cheesy
Hope your future wife can breath fresh air when she moves in?.
Lol. You think I'll let mum pressurize my wife? Never. As long as she can cook pounded yam)ugwu,egusi soup... I won't let mom do nothing to her.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 04, 2016
NevetsIbot:
Lol. You think I'll let mum pressurize my wife? Never. As long as she can cook pounded yam)ugwu,egusi soup... I won't let mom do nothing to her.
And if she can't cook pounded yam, plz teach her or send her to a catering school. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by steppin: 6:00pm On Oct 04, 2016
Benita27:
And if she can't cook pounded yam, plz teach her or send her to a catering school. grin
Catering school indeed! What was she doing at home while growing up? Watching Nollywood movies?

10 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 6:02pm On Oct 04, 2016
steppin:

Catering school indeed! What was she doing at home while growing up? Watching Nollywood movies?
How many Nigerian dishes can you cook?. grin no one is a monopoly of knowledge in any field, we learn every day.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by NevetsIbot(m): 6:15pm On Oct 04, 2016
Benita27:
The meal is actually easy to cook na. The only strenous part might be pounding... And I'll happily do that for the food cheesy. If she can't cook, I won't marry her na.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 6:20pm On Oct 04, 2016
NevetsIbot:
The meal is actually easy to cook na. The only strenous part might be pounding... And I'll happily do that for the food cheesy. If she can't cook, I won't marry her na.
cheesy Who has the strength to pound yam?.
Good luck as you search.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by NevetsIbot(m): 6:41pm On Oct 04, 2016
Benita27:
cheesy Who has the strength to pound yam?.
Good luck as you search.
So, you mean to say If your husband loved punded yam... You'll not prepare it?...... Modernization will not finish us o

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by steppin: 7:12pm On Oct 04, 2016
Benita27:
How many Nigerian dishes can you cook?. grin no one is a monopoly of knowledge in any field, we learn every day.
You'd be surprised. I can cook well and a lot of them...if my future wife can't cook, how does she intend to get to my heart? grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 7:37pm On Oct 04, 2016
steppin:

You'd be surprised. I can cook well and a lot of them...if my future wife can't cook, how does she intend to get to my heart? grin
Steppin, JUJU dey nacheesytonguecheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 7:38pm On Oct 04, 2016
steppin:

There are other ways to get to your heart o!, it's not all about food.
But if you insist it won't be a bad idea sending her to a catering school as a loving husband.
What do you think?. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 04, 2016
NevetsIbot:
So, you mean to say If your husband loved punded yam... You'll not prepare it?...... Modernization will not finish us o
If I know how to prepare it then no problem, it's once in a while meal.
If i don't there are substitutes.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by NevetsIbot(m): 7:42pm On Oct 04, 2016
Benita27:
If I know how to prepare it then no problem, it's once in a while meal.
If i don't there are substitutes.
Substitutes like flour pounded yam.. Lazy lazy lazy girl!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 04, 2016
NevetsIbot:
Substitutes like flour pounded yam.. Lazy lazy lazy girl!!!!!
Lol.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 04, 2016
Op, the fear of your mother in law is the beginning of wisdomcheesy. They can finish your marriage before it starts if you ain't careful. They will make you do the unthinkable when you can no longer take their shits, that in turn makes you the bad person to outsiders. My prayer is for my mother in-law to see me as her own daughter instead of a rival bikoembarassed embarassed embarassed

11 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by steppin: 7:56pm On Oct 04, 2016
Aderola15:

Steppin, JUJU dey nacheesytonguecheesy
For your mind. grin
One with God...
Juju no dey work for my body.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by steppin: 7:59pm On Oct 04, 2016
Benita27:
There are other ways to get to your heart o!, it's not all about food.
But if you insist it won't be a bad idea sending her to a catering school as a loving husband.
What do you think?. grin
I don't know about other guys, but the quickest way to my heart is good food.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 8:01pm On Oct 04, 2016
Benita27:
I noticed 80% of our Nigerian mother in-laws threat their daughter in-laws badly unlike their foreign counterparts, and this trend is so common,once a man says he wants to take you to see his parents instead of excitement a certain fear creeps in.
personally i'm not scared of meeting the man's father because i assume father's trust their sons to have made the right choices, but for the mothers is not usually the same, was able to ask someone if she felt same and she confessed feeling worse. grin
Why are our Nigerian mother in-laws so mean?.
Need your contributions, and Ladies how do you feel when getting to meet them?.

Mothers in law have a reputation around the world, trust me.

I think that you are scared and many others because you don't believe in yourself and that you can handle whatever situation occurs. I guess, you are still very young. Am I right?

Mothers in law are human just like you and they have either a pleasant personality or they don't so hope for the best instead of expecting the worst and show that you treat her son right. Most mothers want to see their children happy.

Drop that insecurity, it will make her suspicious. Be humble and yet self-confident. Know how to behave politely and always ask yourself how you would want your brother's woman to treat your mother and let that be your guidance.

You can enjoy extending your family or you can make a problem out of it. The choice is yours.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 04, 2016
Mindfulness:

Mothers in law have a reputation around the world, trust me.

I think that you are scared and many others because you don't believe in yourself and that you can handle whatever situation occurs. I guess, you are still very young. Am I right?

Mothers in law are human just like you and they have either a pleasant personality or they don't so hope for the best instead of expecting the worst and show that you treat her son right. Most mothers want to see their children happy.

Drop that insecurity, it will make her suspicious. Be humble and yet self-confident. Know how to behave politely and always ask yourself how you would want your brother's woman to treat your mother and let that be your guidance.

You can enjoy extending your family or you can make a problem out of it. The choice is yours.

Nice one.
But i'm not insecure, just asked something that's a concern to me.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 04, 2016
Aderola15:
Op, the fear of your mother in law is the beginning of wisdomcheesy. They can finish your marriage before it starts if you ain't careful. They will make you do the unthinkable when you can no longer take their shits, that in turn makes you the bad person to outsiders. My prayer is for my mother in-law to see me as her own daughter instead of a rival bikoembarassed embarassed embarassed
Lol twinnie. grin
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 8:30pm On Oct 04, 2016
Benita27:
Nice one.
But i'm not insecure, just asked something that's a concern to me.

I am not saying you are insecure in general but you feel insecure about the situation and it's normal because it's a new situation and an important meeting and because you heard all these stories about wicked mothers in law.

Drop that fear. You may have the best mother in law in the world. Who knows? And remember that your mother is or will be a mother in law too. Does it make her wicked or unbearable?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 8:33pm On Oct 04, 2016
Mindfulness:

I am not saying you are insecure in general but you feel insecure about the situation and it's normal because it's a new situation and an important meeting and because you heard all these stories about wicked mothers in law.

Drop that fear. You may have the best mother in law in the world. Who knows? And remember that your mother is or will be a mother in law too. Does it make her wicked or unbearable?
Can't tell if she'll be because she's not yet.
Thanks for your contribution.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 8:34pm On Oct 04, 2016
What's your SOURCE......?
How did u arrive at this....?

Are u related to LAI MOHAMMED.....?
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 8:35pm On Oct 04, 2016
Benita27:
Can't tell if she'll be because she's not yet.
Thanks for your contribution.

I wish for you to have the most gentle and most warm-hearted and well-wishing mother in law who you will learn to love like a second mother. smiley
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 8:36pm On Oct 04, 2016
Mindfulness:

I wish for you to have the most gentle and most warm-hearted and well-wishing mother in law who you will learn to love like a second mother. smiley
I wish to have that more than you can imagine. grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 8:37pm On Oct 04, 2016
Benita27:
I wish to have that more than you can imagine. grin

Just believe that you will. Nothing is stronger than faith. wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 8:37pm On Oct 04, 2016
EVILFOREST:
What's your SOURCE......?
How did u arrive at this....?

Are u related to LAI MOHAMMED.....?
So am i lying?, or you mean to say we don't have mean mother in-laws?.
Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Ugosample(m): 1:25am On Oct 05, 2016
raumdeuter:

For you to think this is a Nigerian problem you must be either naive or unexposed

It is more of an African /SEA countries problem than say Europe/America IMO because The former are more particular about extended family stuff than say in Europe, where family members are more individualistic/mind their business.

This is my observation tho, because my cousins in Germany hardly get involved in each other's lives, and their mother is living with their dad (my uncle) in the countryside most of the time, and is not inclined to visit all the time, as opposed to Naija MIL that will always find opportunity to visit/breeze in/get involved in the son's life.

The more individualistic a society is, the less likely in laws (Not just mil) get involved/cause friction in the family.
hope you understand my point? ?

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by cococandy(f): 3:27am On Oct 05, 2016
That sounds like someone who's emotionally unhealthy
ammyluv2002:
I think, it has to do with so much love and attachment to the guy especially if he's the only son/child. The mother becomes madly in love with her son to a point of her getting jealous of the son's wife. She doesn't want to let go of him, there's this fear of "my son will not love me anymore"

Secondly, if she's not in support of her son getting married to the lady ....OYO is her case. She will never love her except God touches her heart.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by motherfucker: 5:47am On Oct 05, 2016
Benita27:
Lol.
I intend being a good mother in-law.
Some you will find out their son's wives are very good but they're just insatiable, and can't be pleased.
Mothers are very protective of their son. You wouldn't understand until you have raised one for 27+ years and a lady comes in one day to take away what she has laboured for.

The mother would always feel no one can take care of her child like her. What most DIL should do is assure MIL that her son is in safe hands. It's that simple but most of you would rather compete with her or take her head on, which often backfire

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Acidosis(m): 6:42am On Oct 05, 2016
For as long as wives continue to love their sons more than their husbands, MIL troubles will never stop.

It is very easy to identify the future troublesome MILs.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Nigerian Mother In-laws Too Mean Towards Their Daughter In-laws?. by Nobody: 7:07am On Oct 05, 2016
Acidosis:
For as long as wives continue to love their sons more than their husbands, MIL troubles will never stop.

It is very easy to identify the future troublesome MILs.
I am not sure of the bolded, because is not usually written on their forehead.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

~ Why Husbands int!mate With Their Maids ~ / Blessing Oko Ikpor: Bank Manager Husband In ‘Secret’ Wedding Saga In Rivers / Lady Dies One Month After Her Wedding. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.