Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? (3261 Views)

Actress, Ejiro Okurame Regrets Acting Unclad In Movies / Do Nigerians Really Know 'good' Movies? / Your Favourite Love Scenes In Movies? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by Seun(m): 5:24pm On Dec 25, 2006
A friend of mine got into arguments with some fellow filmmakers who told him that subtlety in a movie can't work for Nigerians. According to his friends, "if you don't tell them what you mean, they'll miss the message."

My response:

It's true that most Nigerians don't appreciate subtlety. They are intelligent, but calibrated differently. They are like Italians - if you don't raise your voice then you're not serious about whatever you are saying. One can assume that a Nigerian inside or outside a movie will always say what's on her mind in a direct manner. Otherwise she doesn't mean it. If you don't scream, you are not angry. If you don't roll on the floor and wail, you are not bereaved.

I think it's a cultural thing. I think the Mexicans are just like us, which is why their soap operas are doing really well on Nigeria TV. (The Hausas, bless their gentle hearts, are very different from Yorubas and Igbos in this regard!)

2 Likes

Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by Orikinla(m): 10:59pm On Dec 25, 2006
They do.
Even the Nigerian housewives who are the primary target of Nollywood movie makers appreciate subtlety in movies.
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by gbadex1(m): 10:26am On Dec 26, 2006
Subtlety? Yeah right, subtlety my ass!! Sorry Orikinla, i gotta disagree on this one. True, the primary target of these retarded Nollywood movies are housewives, the messages in the movies are always clear, cut, dried, direct, linear and straightforward. No subtelty of any kind. Their soundtracks and adverts say it all. How the flaming f can subtlety be achieved when everything about a movie is said in the advert and soundtrack? Which subtlety is there? With the amount of stereotypes and recycled storylines and clichés, how can there be subtlety?
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by bioye(m): 11:49am On Dec 26, 2006
I do.

Personally, I'll really welcome more subtlety in movies. We have to realise that the Nigerian Movie audience is a very wide one. Some people love the English home videos, some prefer the Yoruba ones, others the Mexican soaps while others can't wait to go to the Cinemas to see a well-made Hollywood movie. Hence, I guess the target of the subtle movies will mainly be those people that appreciate good acting Hollywood-style.

For me the only Nigerian movies that have consistently hit the minimum quality mark for me are Tunde Kelani's movies. Despite Tade Ogidan's many attempts, I always find something just not right about the casting, the acting or the storyline.
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by Coco29(f): 12:08pm On Dec 26, 2006
i use to watch Nigerian movies quite a lot and i do like some of them, however i have to wonder if the producers consider their audience to be stupid.

it does not matter with a Nigerian movies how long you stay in the loo, because you would not miss a thing, some one in the movie will be telling someone else what just happen, when we the audience just saw it, and really do people still fall to the ground beating themself saying hey! hey when bereaved.
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by angelz(f): 9:41pm On Dec 26, 2006
Few nigerians wu apreciat subtlety r nt intrested in nollywood film n its same story. I watch more of hollywood. Nigerian films r ful of s**t.
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by Orikinla(m): 10:50pm On Dec 26, 2006
Have you watched Conspiracy featuring Onyeka Onwenu?
Have you watched RMD's Out of Bounds?
Have you watched Tade Ogidan's Abiku?
Have you watched Jimi Odumosu's Evil Encounter?

The Nollywood producers and marketers don't really care about our elitist and intellectual views. Because, as I mentioned earlier they are making their B movies for the housewives and their fellow traders and families and relations.

I am watching a Spanish film now and there is a pretty young woman in coma.
So, the medical doctor and nurses have to change her dresses and they showed her topless and when she had her period, they cleaned her up. And they have to wash her hair and even cut her hair while she was still in coma.
It is a very poetic film with Spanish songs and bull fights used as metaphors of life.

This is the kind of serious films we should be making now.
But I have problems with most of the so called educated Nigerians.
Because, if I show a topless nubile girl bathing, they will be alarmed.
But if I show a topless nursing mother breastfeeding her baby, that will be acceptable?

I am still trying to make a film where the lead actress will bathe stark naked in the twilight by the sea side on Bonny Island. But I am wondering what my pastors and brethren will think.

Are we ready for the reality in the subtlety of genre movies?
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by gbadex1(m): 11:24pm On Dec 26, 2006
I doubt it. Nollywood movies are full of sh*t and the Producers and housewives actually relish in that sh*t.

Orikinla,

about that stark naked thingy. What about "The Prostitute" (starring Omotola) back then? She and some dude were rutting and having a few pokes stark naked on the bed. Movie sold like sh*t and was accepted despite OmoT's unclothedness
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by LoverBwoy(m): 7:00am On Dec 27, 2006
Coco29:

i use to watch Nigerian movies quite a lot and i do like some of them, however i have to wonder if the producers consider their audience to be stupid.
it does not matter with a Nigerian movies how long you stay in the loo, because you would not miss a thing, some one in the movie will be telling someone else what just happen, when we the audience just saw it, and really do people still fall to the ground beating themself saying hey! hey when bereaved.

Thank you! sometimes they spell everything out like duhhhhhhh angry
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by Orikinla(m): 11:56am On Dec 27, 2006
gbade. x:

I doubt it. Nollywood movies are full of sh*t and the Producers and housewives actually relish in that sh*t.

Orikinla,

about that stark naked thingy. What about "The Prostitute" (starring Omotola) back then? She and some dude were rutting and having a few pokes stark naked on the bed. Movie sold like sh*t and was accepted despite OmoT's unclothedness

Gbade,
A professional double was used for Omo Sexy's role when she had to play the steamy parts.
Omo Sexy is married away.
I saw her last in 1996. The last encounter was when she handed an orange to me like Eve offering the Forbidden Fruit to Adam. But this was whilst we were at the rehearsals of a movie with Regina Askia, Emeka Ike, Ejike Asiegbu, Segun Arinze, Rachael Oniga and others. But, I often avoid threads on Omotola Ekeinde for my own good reasons.
I actually respect her more than Genevieve Nnaji.
The role that shot her to limelight was Mortal Inheritance.
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by osegwu(m): 1:30pm On Dec 27, 2006
What baffles me more is, if these producers don't have editors
who edit their scripts and actions. Imagine watching a movie
set in the early 40s with the women wearing weavon when
they knew outrightly that at that period there was nothing like
weavon or some body who is jobless for God knows how long
only for himto get a job and in the next 2 months is living in a six
bedroom Duplexand driving a BMW 7 series. its pathetic and the
audience rushesthese movies cos they know no better even the
Bollywood is doing better. Christ save our movie industry.
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by comechop(m): 5:52pm On Dec 27, 2006
Lol, if subtelity is introduced in any movies, most Nigerians wont catch it. Thats why even Nigerians that watch american movies dont get anything from it, the jokes, the plot, the subtle lines, or anything. Its kinda sad, but its the truth. We prefer it to be OPEN and THERE.
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by gbadex1(m): 8:16pm On Dec 27, 2006
. . .And then, what is the essence of entertainment if subtlety is not appreciated? Don't get me wrong, movies are NOT all about subtlety but then, subtlety are integral and they're a useful and clever way of passing messages across to the audience.

But then, our countrypeople and housewives aplenty don't appreciate and understand metaphors and take everything literally.

@ Orikinla:

lol, why don't you like discussing OmoT? Is there an emotional attachment of sorts? And i also believe she is a way better actress than Genevieve.
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by Orikinla(m): 8:27pm On Dec 27, 2006
No comment.

Life goes on.
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by baby4u2(f): 10:13pm On Dec 27, 2006
comechop:

Lol, if subtelity is introduced in any movies, most Nigerians wont catch it. Thats why even Nigerians that watch american movies don't get anything from it, the jokes, the plot, the subtle lines, or anything. Its kind of sad, but its the truth. We prefer it to be OPEN and THERE.

comechop i disagree with your analysis, only bush nigerians don't understand the subtle nature of american films. i think we even understand it better than our nigerian films. If a film is subtle it also has to be interesting. Lets face facts nigerians are not the most calm people on earth. We/Nigerians have greater tendencies to dramatize/overdo what we're feeling (not only in movies). To say the least am not supporting overdramatization of actions. I totally support subtilyty in movies, i feel it might teach nigerians calmness when necessary.
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by LoverBwoy(m): 10:31pm On Dec 27, 2006
i feel it might teach nigerians calmness when necessary.

i feel it might teach people to use more cells in their brains wink
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by justkunmi(m): 12:01am On Dec 28, 2006
sometimes when i watch some nigerian movies,i'm always tempted to turn off the tv and have a good sleep cos they just insult ur intelligence.
a guy had an accident. an eye witness was tellin the story to someone else. they had to show the whole accident scene all ova again. this guy too was tellin the parents of the dead guy, can u believe they showed the accident scene all ova gain for a 3rd time?
i was just shakin my head in disbelief,. we need help
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by seeker(m): 12:29am On Dec 28, 2006
Coco29:

LOL! Lest you forget, there is also the extra bit of narration by the so called "sound track". Just in case you missed the blatantness of the whole thing.
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by justkunmi(m): 1:18am On Dec 28, 2006
lol
can u imagine
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by comechop(m): 7:18am On Dec 28, 2006
This is not to lambash Nigerian movies, but after watching pretty much any Nigerian movie for 5 minutes, I can tell u who will die, and how the person will die, and who would suffer and even how it would end. Soo predictable. Nigerians love that.
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by iice(f): 9:16am On Dec 28, 2006
justkunmi:

sometimes when i watch some nigerian movies,i'm always tempted to turn off the tv and have a good sleep because they just insult your intelligence.
a guy had an accident. an eye witness was tellin the story to someone else. they had to show the whole accident scene all ova again. this guy too was tellin the parents of the dead guy, can u believe they showed the accident scene all ova gain for a 3rd time?
i was just shakin my head in disbelief,. we need help

Laughin ma friggin butt off grin grin I would just stop the movie and go sleep.
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by justkunmi(m): 10:24am On Dec 28, 2006
@iice
you can say that again. they think viewers are dumb and everything has to be spelt out in details before we can understand.

i was watching an american movie a week ago. in a scene, a guy's fone rings. he picks it up. end of scene. the next scene, we see him in a restaurant with a lady and she says "thanks for seein me on such short notice". immediately we all understood that she called him to meet her at the restaurant. alot of time was saved. but if it were to be naija directors, the lady would spell out the address of the restaurant. they 'll show the guy going to his car and drivin to the restaurant!!!!

we need to change our orientation,
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by osegwu(m): 10:58am On Dec 28, 2006
Our producers and editors drserve to be
flogged.

still me
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by gbadex1(m): 2:23pm On Dec 28, 2006
@ osegwu:

God would bless you for what you just said!

Nollywood producers need to be shot in the foot.
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by iice(f): 2:25pm On Dec 28, 2006
@justkunmi, u wan kill me ooo grin grin every scene has to be detailed to the max huh? tongue
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by naija4life(f): 2:51pm On Dec 28, 2006
Fortunately or unfortunately, i don't watch 9ja movies, it bores me to death and always seem to lack objectivity
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by seeker(m): 3:07pm On Dec 28, 2006
naija4life:

Fortunately or unfortunately, i don't watch Nigeria movies, it bores me to death and always seem to lack objectivity

Don't bother. It's the mental equivalent of self flagellation.
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by gidig(m): 8:59pm On Dec 28, 2006
I will agree to a very large extent with the view that most of these Nigerian Home videos are targeted at people who have accepted a compromise in what should have been called quality television or film production.

I am only thankful to God that the industry has created jobs for many people in Nigeria.I do not own any Nigerian VCD or DVD even though I own loads of foreign films. (though I intend to collect all TK's works this New year break) Until recently when someone said I was being too hard, I has a theory that If one watches too much Naija videos, it is usually an indication of a very low IQ (A theory, I said).I simply cant imagine the mental torture one will have to go through watching any of the many films that are manufactured daily.

I live in a part of Lagos where I have limited access to some of these producers and Directors and To be very frank with you, there is no way they are going to produce a better film.They just stumbled on 'this industry' and decided to settle down. Not much thinking is done and not much is manifest in the films produced.

The fact that what should be deduced by the viewer is explained( and some times used as sound track/commentary) is not in appreciation of the viewers but a deficiency on the part of the movie makers. I have been used as an extra in a movie without my consent as cybercafe in Bode Thomas by a director who felt everyone in the cafe will be glad to be in his movie. AS we went about our business , cameras were placed all around us and we all came to feature in that film.

There are a few good films out there I believe.I just don't have the time to find them.I have limited my 'must see' to TUnde Kelani; 'tolerate to 'Tade Ogidan and Amaka Igwe'; 'if you have time to kill -Charles Novia!
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:15am On Dec 29, 2006
justkunmi:

@i was watching an american movie a week ago. in a scene, a guy's phone rings. he picks it up. end of scene. the next scene, we see him in a restaurant with a lady and she says "thanks for seein me on such short notice". immediately we all understood that she called him to meet her at the restaurant. alot of time was saved. but if it were to be naija directors, the lady would spell out the address of the restaurant. they 'll show the guy going to his car and drivin to the restaurant!!!!

I totally agree with you on this. It's like they dont get that no one does the whole "let me read what the letter says outloud" crap anymore. Usually by the next scene you should know what exactly was in that letter. They dont even do that in Yoruba movies. I usually watch Nollywood movies with my sister so we can make fun of everything. Seriously it's hilarious.
It's sad that they think people need everything done upfront cos they are supposedly "too stupid" to eventually get what's happening. tsk
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by paddylo1(m): 6:13pm On Dec 29, 2006
@Everyone
You see "a prophet is never recognized at home",while you guys are busy castigating Nigerian films,i will have u note that outside our shores it is the most popular genre of movies in countries like kenya,ghana,liberia,sierra leone,south africa and so on. . .here in the states most Africans that i have visited have stacks of Nigerian films at home,my liberian friend tells me how his wife loves them and is always eager to question me on Nigerian culture and what not,which he professes to love(go figure. . ).
My point is that,we are africans we have a distinct culture,be it african time,be it being overdramatic,maybe for yorubas prostrating on the floor to greet,or whatever it is. . .you cannot wake up one morning and wish away your culture(God forbid, )
American movies do have a lot of trash too(snakes on a plane, )for instance,and American movies are pretty much whitewashed,something i did not really understand until i moved here,65% of the roles are written for white males. . (of course we have asians,blacks and latinos who together make up 40% of the population,but when last did u see them in lead roles male or female?)now most Africans and black people who want to relate to Africa,do value those Nigerian movies that u so trash. .also hollywood has never really bothered to do anything positive on Africa. . .from blood diamonds to constant gardener,its the same bullshit. . .Africa is given such bad press over here in the west that sometimes i have to shake myself just not to believe all the trash. . even though i lived in Nigeria for 20yrs of my life. .
So if u enjoy Nigerian movies keep doing so,if u trash it please be realistic. .we are the only ones that can blow our trumpets.
critics are welcome.
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by gidig(m): 7:17pm On Dec 29, 2006
I think the issue is not really that people trash Nollywood. There should be a degree of improvement over the past few years.We really can't stay at this 'we are the next big thing ' bus stop and seek progress.what I hear mostly about the home video industry in Nigeria is all about how big it is and not the quality of the production.

practitioners must demand and implement very high standards.In the music industry for example, you will notice that there are lots of improvement in production of videos and even the music because some of the practitioners know that they now have to compete with artistes from all over the world.we are evolving no doubt. But much of the home video industry has been static in terms of development. We really must thank God that it creates job for people  but the content and the quality thereof is appalling. based on the examples I have given about the music industry where competition has created better videos, what the people who control the industry should be is to embrace other professional who will help bring some quality into their production.

This may necessarily mean longer time in production and more standards from casts and crew but it will make our films better.Ifyou have a storyline that iinvolves lawyers, get some lawyer to consult on the script; get copywriters to title the films;get graphic designers to iinterpret your theme in good posters-not the nearest business center Of course this means more money but it also means more coverage in terms of demography.
Re: Do Nigerians Appreciate Subtlety In Movies? by gbadex1(m): 7:41pm On Dec 29, 2006
^ true talk.

(1) (2) (Reply)

[COMEDY DOWNLOAD]: Mark Angel Comedy – Leave Me Alone / 10 Films Everyone Should See Before They Die / MTV Show: Wild And Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.