Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,178 members, 7,807,569 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:25 PM

Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel (7670 Views)

Honda Accord 2006 Wobbling From The Back / Honda Accord 2006 Comparison With Toyota Camry 2003 / Why Does My Honda Accord Consume More Fuel Than It's Counterparts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by magicfingers009: 9:46pm On Oct 04, 2016
Hello All,

Please help my Honda Accord (Discussion Continues) consumes fuel excessively.

My dashboard is squeaky clean and I still had my engine scanned. No single error code came up.

Had my exhaust system checked and its very intact

Also had the O2 Sensor checked and its in perfect condition.

Serviced the engine, changed the oil filter, engine oil and plugs. Yet it drinks fuel like a child drinks ribena.

I have had my tyres checked and i ensure the psi doesn't exceed 40 and use the recommended tyres but it still does not improve the fuel consumption.

My house is approximately 12 minutes to my office and I don't use the car at work yet N2,000 fuel won't last for 2days with the AC on.

I have complained to different mechanics and they have asked me to cope with it. I am getting frustrated as i notice the needle on the fuel gauge moving while driving.

Please what else can I do to improve the fuel consumption.

PS: it is an v4 and not v6.
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by chillex8(m): 9:54pm On Oct 04, 2016
What is the distance from your house to your work place?
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by mayor2013: 10:32pm On Oct 04, 2016
So many factors can be responsible for high fuel consumption. The list is long. How old is this car if I may know? If you are in lagos and you need to fix the problem. Call 08156087872 or 08165520837
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by honmusa(m): 10:40pm On Oct 04, 2016
This is beyond what an ordinary road side mechanic can handle ,u need a professional that is skill in diagnosis analysis to help you fish out the culprit .
Call autologic @08061166316 if you are in Lagos.
Engine performance issue and computer control is our specialty.
We will use data streaming to analysis whatever is responsible for the high fuel consumption with the aid of our state-of-art diagnostics equipment.
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by sultaan(m): 11:01pm On Oct 04, 2016
Stop buying N2000 worth of fur fill it up till almost half

Reduce your tire pressure to between 29 and 32 post a pic of your dash with engine running warmed up need to check idle speed and engine temp.

When you get home touch all the wheels and see if one is extra hot just in case your brake is hung up apart from that don't do anything drastic
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by Nobody: 11:31am On Oct 05, 2016
I had same probs too, I resolved it myself by the following steps.

I reduced my harsh acceleration (the more u press the GAS pedal, the more hole you put in your pocket)
I increased my fuel purchase, to avoid large vacuum in the tank.
I reduced my tire pressure to about 33 psi.
I reduced my RPM from about 1800 RPM to 800 RPM by shutting down my faulty FITV valve.
with all these, I gained 9 MPG.
I use to have 22MPG but now its 31MPG for a 1997 make honda.
Also jack up each Tyre consecutively and ensure no wheel is locked by faulty brake caliper.

7 Likes

Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by Ijscarface: 8:45pm On Oct 05, 2016
When you drive from home to office touch the rims to check if they are exceptionally hot if so then service your brake system
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by magicfingers009: 10:23pm On Oct 05, 2016
sultaan:
Stop buying N2000 worth of fur fill it up till almost half

Reduce your tire pressure to between 29 and 32 post a pic of your dash with engine running warmed up need to check idle speed and engine temp.

When you get home touch all the wheels and see if one is extra hot just in case your brake is hung up apart from that don't do anything drastic

The N2,000 was just to give an illustration of the consumption rate. See the picture of my dashboard with the engine steaming

Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by magicfingers009: 10:24pm On Oct 05, 2016
itcelebrity:
I had same probs too, I resolved it myself by the following steps.

I reduced my harsh acceleration (the more u press the GAS pedal, the more hole you put in your pocket)
I increased my fuel purchase, to avoid large vacuum in the tank.
I reduced my tire pressure to about 33 psi.
I reduced my RPM from about 1800 RPM to 800 RPM by shutting down my faulty FITV valve.
with all these, I gained 9 MPG.
I use to have 22MPG but now its 31MPG for a 1997 make honda.
Also jack up each Tyre consecutively and ensure no wheel is locked by faulty brake caliper.
How did you reduce your RPM
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by magicfingers009: 10:26pm On Oct 05, 2016
honmusa:
This is beyond what an ordinary road side mechanic can handle ,u need a professional that is skill in diagnosis analysis to help you fish out the culprit .
Call autologic @08061166316 if you are in Lagos.
Engine performance issue and computer control is our specialty.
We will use data streaming to analysis whatever is responsible for the high fuel consumption with the aid of our state-of-art diagnostics equipment.
mayor2013:
So many factors can be responsible for high fuel consumption. The list is long. How old is this car if I may know? If you are in lagos and you need to fix the problem. Call 08156087872 or 08165520837
Sadly I'm in PH and do not intend to come to Lagos until Christmas
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by sultaan(m): 1:15am On Oct 06, 2016
Your engine is warm but your thermometer says it's cold your idle speed is not too bad it could be because e your car thinks it's cold fix that first if you have removed the thermostat that is the only thing wrong here so far and it will cause your fueling problem

I will attach 2 pics from my car cold and warm, look at the temp and compare to yours with the engine warm 'steaming' my thermostat opens at 205F

1 Like

Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by d33types: 11:02am On Oct 06, 2016
sultaan:
What car model has this dash sir?.
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by sultaan(m): 7:23pm On Oct 06, 2016
d33types:

What car model has this dash sir?.

Chrysler 300

1 Like

Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by magicfingers009: 7:30pm On Oct 06, 2016
sultaan:
Your engine is warm but your thermometer says it's cold your idle speed is not too bad it could be because e your car thinks it's cold fix that first if you have removed the thermostat that is the only thing wrong here so far and it will cause your fueling problem

I will attach 2 pics from my car cold and warm, look at the temp and compare to yours with the engine warm 'steaming' my thermostat opens at 205F
Here's mine. During the cold start and when it's warm

Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by sultaan(m): 10:44pm On Oct 06, 2016
Good so when your fuel level gets to the half way write down the odometer mileage then add 20 litres of fuel drive again to it reaches half way then to know how far you drive on 20 litres cal plate per litre then you know if you are actually burning fuel
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by magicfingers009: 6:13am On Oct 07, 2016
sultaan:
Good so when your fuel level gets to the half way wrote down the odometer mileage then add 20 litres of fuel drive again to it reaches half way then to know how far you drive on 20 litres cal plate per litre then you know if you are actually burning fuel
Alright. Thanks a lot. I'll give you feedback.

Modified: Just filled my tank with about 39 litres and snapped my dashboard to benchmark where the mileage is

Sultaan, please can you compare the two pictures. I topped my tank with 39 litres from the initial picture with mileage of 70951. Now it's back to half with a mileage of 71076.

Is it normal or its just me overreacting.

Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by Nobody: 11:44am On Oct 08, 2016
sultaan:
Good so when your fuel level gets to the half way write down the odometer mileage then add 20 litres of fuel drive again to it reaches half way then to know how far you drive on 20 litres cal plate per litre then you know if you are actually burning fuel
Thanks,
With your aforementioned formular i figured out that my accord 2003 2.4 vtec doch is consuming 10ltrs per 80km.
Nb: after scanning we learnt that there is o2 sensor malfunction.
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by tolulinks(m): 9:12pm On Oct 11, 2016
magicfingers009:
Hello All,

Please help my Honda Accord (Discussion Continues) consumes fuel excessively.

My dashboard is squeaky clean and I still had my engine scanned. No single error code came up.

Had my exhaust system checked and its very intact

Also had the O2 Sensor checked and its in perfect condition.

Serviced the engine, changed the oil filter, engine oil and plugs. Yet it drinks fuel like a child drinks ribena.

I have had my tyres checked and i ensure the psi doesn't exceed 40 and use the recommended tyres but it still does not improve the fuel consumption.

My house is approximately 12 minutes to my office and I don't use the car at work yet N2,000 fuel won't last for 2days with the AC on.

I have complained to different mechanics and they have asked me to cope with it. I am getting frustrated as i notice the needle on the fuel gauge moving while driving.

Please what else can I do to improve the fuel consumption.

PS: it is an v4 and not v6.
Ogini? That one na die ó. I use the same car and if there is one thing I love about it, it's the fuel economy. For fifteen straight days I was going from Gbagada to ikeja, approximately 16 miles to and from and the car still about 2/5 left in the tank. I was impressed and i don't go any where without the AC on. What you should do is have someone clean the injectors. My mech here in Gbagada did with mine and it's been a dream.
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by abidemidare: 5:17pm On Oct 12, 2016
tolulinks:

Ogini? That one na die ó. I use the same car and if there is one thing I love about it, it's the fuel economy. For fifteen straight days I was going from Gbagada to ikeja, approximately 16 miles to and from and the car still about 2/5 left in the tank. I was impressed and i don't go any where without the AC on. What you should do is have someone clean the injectors. My mech here in Gbagada did with mine and it's been a dream.

Pls kindly give me ur mech contact, mine is evil spirit 2011 V6, I used 3k fuel at the rate of N141 per litre (NNPC) from egbeda to festac, via ikotun cele ijesha and from festac to egbeda via Cele ijesha oshodi IKEJA along with AC and traffic. Is it normal or not?
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by mayor2013: 9:07pm On Oct 12, 2016
abidemidare:

Pls kindly give me ur mech contact, mine is evil spirit 2011 V6, I used 3k fuel at the rate of N141 per litre (NNPC) from egbeda to festac, via ikotun cele ijesha and from festac to egbeda via Cele ijesha oshodi IKEJA along with AC and traffic. Is it normal or not?

Contact multi autolab on 08156087872 or 08165520837. 12b Alhaji olarewaju yekini street Akesan bustop igando lagos
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by chillex8(m): 10:08pm On Oct 12, 2016
[quote author=abidemidare post=50142864]

Pls kindly give me ur mech contact, mine is evil spirit 2011 V6, I used 3k fuel at the rate of N141 per litre (NNPC) from egbeda to festac, via ikotun cele ijesha and from festac to egbeda via Cele ijesha oshodi IKEJA along with AC and traffic. Is it normal or not?[/quote

Its normal.
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by tolulinks(m): 12:53am On Oct 13, 2016
abidemidare:

Yours is slightly normal considering you are using v6 and egbeda to festac and back is a lot of miles. I must say I'm also gentle on my pedal and avoid sudden take off ( why do guys do that anyway?) and sudden braking which decreases mileage. Unless you are on the 3rd"mailand bridge, there is no benefit to hitting 80mph ( I prefer miles jare) only to suddenly decelerate when u see traffic. 60mph is great for city driving. I will get the contact for you later as I don't have it now. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by tolulinks(m): 1:13am On Oct 13, 2016
abidemidare:

In fact it's normal after seeing your route back to egbeda
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by abidemidare: 6:58am On Oct 13, 2016
tolulinks:

In fact it's normal after seeing your route back to egbeda

After scanning i got P0155. 02 sensor, bank2 sensor 1. Heater circuit malfunction
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by tolulinks(m): 11:38am On Oct 13, 2016
abidemidare:

After scanning i got P0155. 02 sensor, bank2 sensor 1. Heater circuit malfunction
Gurus in the house can tell us what it means.
Cc gazzuzz
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by sultaan(m): 5:08pm On Oct 14, 2016
from my experience the O2 wire was touching the hot exhaust pipe which melted the wire and it cause the O2 fuse to burn.

Look at the O2 wire you should find the damage the replace the fuse .

If you check the fuse box first one might be bad

No. 19 OPTION (40 A) fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box.

No. 4 A/F SENSOR (15 A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box.

No. 23 IGP (7.5 A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box.
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by MykelOdus(m): 1:16am On Oct 15, 2016
abidemidare:

Sometimes we need to be sure we are getting the value of our money from all these filling stations. 3k fuel on a V6 via that route is not so bad. We r at Egbeda, if u stay close u can bring it for a comprehensive scan. Or call 09093906654
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by magicfingers009: 6:54am On Oct 15, 2016
Thanks guy for the feedback. I noticed that when I changed my pattern of driving to 'cruising' and not exceeding 50km/h. I have been able to save a reasonable amount of fuel. But it still hurts seeing a rickety car overtake me. But I have to respect my pocket in this recession period.

1 Like

Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by Kjnwancaro: 12:42pm On Oct 15, 2016
magicfingers009:
Thanks guy for the feedback. I noticed that when I changed my pattern of driving to 'cruising' and not exceeding 50km/h. I have been able to save a reasonable amount of fuel. But it still hurts seeing a rickety car overtake me. But I have to respect my pocket in this recession period.

Do you mean using the cruise drive saves you more fuel?
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by magicfingers009: 1:36pm On Oct 15, 2016
Kjnwancaro:

Do you mean using the cruise drive saves you more fuel?
No, what I meant was I don't drive fast and pump up the acceleration. I make sure the rev doesn't exceed 2rev/min and maintain a low speed
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by abidemidare: 3:06pm On Oct 21, 2016
abidemidare:

The problem of consuming fuel has been fixed, we noticed they was nothing in the two catalyst both front and back after we wanted to changed the sensor cables. just imagine, I gave my panel beater 25k to work on the catalyst few months ago and he did nothing. Well, i was introduced to one guy ( panel beater ) in Oyingbo last tuessay, he did it. Ever since then the fuel consumption has really improved, I'm very happy now. I went to Oyingbo yesterday with N2500 fuel to and fro with AC From egbeda via ikeja GRA, Maryland, Anthony, ojuelegba, costain, ido to Oyingbo, coming back, passed thru adekunle 3rd mainland, Anthony, Maryland, ikeja, Egbeda, abesan estate and back home to egbeda. even though the two sensors are yet fixed only the catalyst fixed.
Re: Help! My Honda Accord 2006 Gulps Fuel by honmusa(m): 8:07pm On Oct 21, 2016
abidemidare:

The problem of consuming fuel has been fixed, we noticed they was nothing in the two catalyst both front and back after we wanted to changed the sensor cables. just imagine, I gave my panel beater 25k to work on the catalyst few months ago and he did nothing. Well, i was introduced to one guy ( panel beater ) in Oyingbo last tuessay, he did it. Ever since then the fuel consumption has really improved, I'm very happy now. I went to Oyingbo yesterday with N2500 fuel to and fro with AC From egbeda via ikeja GRA, Maryland, Anthony, ojuelegba, costain, ido to Oyingbo, coming back, passed thru adekunle 3rd mainland, Anthony, Maryland, ikeja, Egbeda, abesan estate and back home to egbeda. even though the two sensors are yet fixed only the catalyst fixed.
You should have saved more fuel if you have left the catalyst to fix the o2 sensor instead.
O2 sensor is the primary fuel management system ,catalyst is just secondary

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Check Whether Your Car Tires Are Expired Or Not / How to buy a used car in Nigeria (or pretty much anywhere) / Beware Custom Officers Are Back Siezing Vehicles!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.