Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,546 members, 7,809,006 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:02 PM

My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married (28475 Views)

26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) / I'm About To Regret Getting Married / All The Drama That Happens When Your Parents Are Arguing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Nobody: 10:17pm On Oct 05, 2016
Having a job with a multinational company and travelling abroad next year doesnt mean you are ready for marriage. Your parents know your weaknesses and your strengths. It doesnt really make sense to get married before travelling especially if this is your first out-of-country travel experience (I dont know why you brought that up anyway).

There is more to life than marriage, as far as I am concerned, you have not been tested by the whirlwind of life yet. When the time is right, na people go tell you say, Nnah, you no wan marry ? Soar your oats and enjoy the varieties for now.

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by banqalee(m): 10:17pm On Oct 05, 2016
u r on a crossroad or at crossroads? pls,hw did u get job at oil company? angry angry angry
LekinsRibirth:
I'm currently on a crossroad and I really need your cordial insights on this issue.
I graduated two years ago and I'm currently 25years old and God has been extremely so good to me.
I was recently able to secure a job in a multinational firm and I receive a very good pay.
I've been able to put a lot of things in order and I feel I'm ready to settle down.
I proposed marriage to my girlfriend who is currently 23 and she accepted. our families have been friends even before we were born. myself and her grew up together and we are literally best friends( we've officially been dating for the past 4years).
I've stated my intentions to my parents and hers but they both disagreed .They said we're too young to start a family and we should wait for a minimum of 4 to 5 years .
I'll be travelling out of the country next year with my company to start an off-shore business unit and I planned to get married to her by December and take her along with me.
I really don't know what to do as my family has become my enemy in this issue.
They threatened not to give me their blessings and never to accept money from me if I go ahead with my plans.

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Nobody: 10:18pm On Oct 05, 2016
I'd advice you to marry in your late 20s at the earliest.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Nobody: 10:18pm On Oct 05, 2016
Why are peoole saying he's too young? If they're responsible enough to want to settle down at that age, why the further wait??

At what age does it guarantee that a marriage will last?

So it's better for guys in their 20s to keep dating different kind of people and having sex with different kind of girls and then "settle down" when they're in their 30s?

5 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Pray(m): 10:18pm On Oct 05, 2016
Wait till u r 50.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by nnaemekanwachuk(m): 10:18pm On Oct 05, 2016
No offence bro the nain reason they stopped you is you still lack marturity..... from what you just wrote l have seen it is it because you want to travel you want to marry.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Christane: 10:19pm On Oct 05, 2016
The nigeria constitution stated that 18years is the marriagable age in the land ..that anyone of dat age z liable to get married and z 25 nd the parents are saying z too young to get married dy shud encourage hm 4 want to be a respectable and responsible gently man ...while most of z mate nd older are stil jumping from one gal to d other he want to settle down nd z parents are saying z 2 young or what ...i dnt belv anybody z 2 young to get married as long as u re 18yr and above .nd u re comfortable nd u dnt depend on anyone for feeding or need any financial assistance ...it is better he marry her legally dan doing it d illegal way dat z getting her pregnant nd she automatically become z wife i guex d both parents wil be forced to give their blessing then..

3 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by bolabolabo: 10:20pm On Oct 05, 2016
My observation.

The ladies are saying he should go ahead and marry while the guys are advising him to heed his parents advice..

Ladies these days are just too desperate for marriage..

Very interesting...

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Taryur3(m): 10:24pm On Oct 05, 2016
My friend go ahead and talk to both parents... Early marriage with God is the best.

3 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by schumastic(m): 10:25pm On Oct 05, 2016
braimeddy:
Are u really sure that the only reason both parents refused to give their blessings is because u guys re still young? Let me tell u d truth, I don't believe what u re saying.

I thought i was the only one who find the story fishy n it looks fake to me..still trying to put my finger on it cus the story doesn't add up

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by mulattoclaroo(m): 10:25pm On Oct 05, 2016
JeffreyJamez:
I'm with your parents on this one..... The fact you're okay financially doesn't mean you're ready for marriage... It's not like they said you shouldn't marry her, they said you both should wait!... So my advice... ...wait!
my dad married my mom when he was 24. So what's the big deal?

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Flashh: 10:26pm On Oct 05, 2016
braimeddy:
Are u really sure that the only reason both parents refused to give their blessings is because u guys re still young? Let me tell u d truth, I don't believe what u re saying.
Don't you know he's a man? A man needs a lot of plans before thinking of marriage.

His parents sees he hasn't planned well for it, so they don't want him to rush into marriage, which might be disastrous for him after being married.

11 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Owliver(m): 10:27pm On Oct 05, 2016
FortuneTeller:
There is nothing wrong with marrying at 25 as long as you are both mature. God has been preparing this wife for you before you were born and now your family wants to hinder the plan. As long as you are responsible and loving, why are they against it? Maybe they want to chop your money first. Take your wife now before some other man tries to spoil her in this harsh economy. Unless there is a serious problem which you have not revealed to us, continue to encourage your family about the matter. If they don't agree, the arrival of a new baby would help them. smiley
must you people drag God into this matter?

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Taryur3(m): 10:28pm On Oct 05, 2016
omoikea:
this life is not just fair.....

some are looking for life partner earnestly while those that has found their soul mate cant go further in living their dreams....

what a funny world we live in grin grin grin grin
So this touches you too...? I be think say na only me never see soul mate o...na gold diggers just dey fall my way...
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by mulattoclaroo(m): 10:29pm On Oct 05, 2016
Nigerians and their mentality though. What's wrong if he marries at 25? My dad was 24 when he married my mom. I got married at 26 and I'm currently 27 with a lovely and another baby is currently on the way. So what's the fuss about this guy marrying at 25?

9 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:29pm On Oct 05, 2016
mulattoclaroo:
my dad married my mom when he was 24. So what's the big deal?

What year was that?
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by sisisioge: 10:31pm On Oct 05, 2016
Hmmmm, Olalekan....what a child needs to climb a tree to see, the elders see while sitting. Biko listen to them...they have better info on you and on marriage. Pls listen to them. The babe is not running away, is she? If it's the license to dothedo that is doing you...you have a well wisher's blessing. Time is a wonderful teacher buddy...remember, your parents know you and they know marriage!
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Adekorya: 10:34pm On Oct 05, 2016
LekinsRibirth:
I'm currently on a crossroad and I really need your cordial insights on this issue.
I graduated two years ago and I'm currently 25years old and God has been extremely so good to me.
I was recently able to secure a job in a multinational firm and I receive a very good pay.
I've been able to put a lot of things in order and I feel I'm ready to settle down.
I proposed marriage to my girlfriend who is currently 23 and she accepted. our families have been friends even before we were born. myself and her grew up together and we "uare literally best friends( we've officially been dating for the past 4years).
I've stated my intentions to my parents and hers but they both disagreed .They said we're too young to start a family and we should wait for a minimum of 4 to 5 years .
I'll be travelling out of the country next year with my company to start an off-shore business unit and I planned to get married to her by December and take her along with me.
They threatened not to give me their blessings and never to accept money from me if I go ahead with my plans.
You know what is the best for you, but sometimes you don't know because your emotions have taken over your decision. At 25, I can say you're still young and not ready for marriage. Why can't you use the opportunity you have now to arrange for something, because by the time you got married you have a lot to cater for which in turn will make somethings so hard for u to achieve. Look here brother, your parents are objecting not because they don't love you, but because they want the best for you and but they possesses the experience you're lacking about anything that encompass marriage. If I were u, I will be thinking about having a property, further my education, building a house if not a mansion but four bedroom flat at least... Set my marriage target to when I clock 30 or 31, because by the tym I got married I want to have my own house. You have a very good opportunity to have well paying job at tender age, bro, I will advice you to utilize dat before thinking of marriage. Brother, to cap it all, marriage is not something you rush into.

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by INFOTECH2: 10:35pm On Oct 05, 2016
Cutehector:
I think they are right... why not wait until you are 30yrs of age first.... marriage isn't smth u rush into.

What exactly should he wait for? Being ready for marriage is not determined by age. You can be 40 years and not be matured enough while a 19 year old might be.

I believe that they are adults and they should be advised on the benefits of marriage and every other angle to it.

It's left to them to decide.

Why hold them to ransom and psychologically inflict pain on them.

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Richy4(m): 10:39pm On Oct 05, 2016
People are advising him to go and marry..... a lot of us do not have problem with that....but I hope he will not open another thread next year and tell us how other girls were looking at him and giving him the green light and the wife did not believe it and he want's to prove it to her.....I think that thread was still on family section....

And I hope the same ladies advising him to go and marry will not turn around to say he was childish......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by macminista(m): 10:39pm On Oct 05, 2016
JeffreyJamez:
I'm with your parents on this one..... The fact you're okay financially doesn't mean you're ready for marriage... It's not like they said you shouldn't marry her, they said you both should wait!... So my advice... ...wait!
so u think "age" makes one mature enough for marriage?

3 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Adex097: 10:40pm On Oct 05, 2016
From my statistical analysis, 97% of Nairaland ladies will support OP while 90% of Nairaland guys will go against his plan. Oya let the war begin grin

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by elmisti(m): 10:40pm On Oct 05, 2016
Sometimes. Asking for permissions and blessings gives parents too much ego....pple Bn talking marriage like its a phd program in sociology.....same reason why baby mama is on d rise.....same way one abo.ki was asking if he can start a family with 70k income....no. .....wait till u earn more than bill gates na undecided

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:41pm On Oct 05, 2016
macminista:
so u think "age" makes one mature enough for marriage?

No... .but his parents know better.... and not just his parents... The girl's parents are saying the same thing... Doesn't that tell you enough?

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by amanikondo: 10:43pm On Oct 05, 2016
LekinsRibirth:
I proposed marriage to my girlfriend who is currently 23 and she accepted. our families have been friends even before we were born. myself and her grew up together and we are literally best friends( we've officially been dating for the past 4years).

You are not too young to marry. I still dey regret say I no marry early. You can force it.

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by zionwest(m): 10:44pm On Oct 05, 2016
Hmm.my nigg' ..this is a million dollar advice..enter your room and lock the door, wannk till tomorrow morning...you'll wake up feelin' like "fucckk it, i'm marryin that babe"...thank me later
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Nobody: 10:45pm On Oct 05, 2016
obaival:
Early childhood marriage

childhood at 25? Na wa for Una o

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by tosyne2much(m): 10:46pm On Oct 05, 2016
OP, I'm in the Same Dilemma with you... I'm almost approaching 50yrs and my parents refused to let me marry saying I'm not yet matured for marriage cool

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by rahjan: 10:47pm On Oct 05, 2016
Hmmm, Oga op. You said ur family knew the girls family before u were born and they were all very very close and now your father is refusing u to marry dis girl. Hmmm
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Nobody: 10:48pm On Oct 05, 2016
@OP Have a heart to heart communication with your parents, make them have a thought over it or try and know reasons why they don't want you to rush things. They will come around and give the go ahead nod. Do not rebel but seek peace and understanding.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by macminista(m): 10:49pm On Oct 05, 2016
JeffreyJamez:

No... .but his parents know better.... and not just his parents... The girl's parents are saying the same thing... Doesn't that tell you enough?
if thier refusal is based on something else other than age i would agree if not, its a NO NO

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by zionwest(m): 10:49pm On Oct 05, 2016
Adex097:
From my statistical analysis, 97% of Nairaland ladies will support OP while 90% of Nairaland guys will go against his plan. Oya let the war begin grin
against his plan??..he hasnt decided yet

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

His Mother Said His Fiancee Is Not Beautiful And Classy / 62-year-old Nigerian Woman Delivers Triplet After 33 Years Of Marriage (photos) / My Colleague's Husband Stresses His Wife Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.