Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:27 AM

My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married (28473 Views)

26 And Still Living With My Parents (advise) / I'm About To Regret Getting Married / All The Drama That Happens When Your Parents Are Arguing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by misscall247: 10:49pm On Oct 05, 2016
LekinsRibirth:
I'm currently on a crossroad and I really need your cordial insights on this issue.
I graduated two years ago and I'm currently 25years old and God has been extremely so good to me.
I was recently able to secure a job in a multinational firm and I receive a very good pay.
I've been able to put a lot of things in order and I feel I'm ready to settle down.
I proposed marriage to my girlfriend who is currently 23 and she accepted. our families have been friends even before we were born. myself and her grew up together and we are literally best friends( we've officially been dating for the past 4years).
I've stated my intentions to my parents and hers but they both disagreed .They said we're too young to start a family and we should wait for a minimum of 4 to 5 years .
I'll be travelling out of the country next year with my company to start an off-shore business unit and I planned to get married to her by December and take her along with me.
I really don't know what to do as my family has become my enemy in this issue.
They threatened not to give me their blessings and never to accept money from me if I go ahead with my plans.
See Op wetin elders sit down see,if u like climb d longest tree in ur village u wudnt see it#so listen to dem
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by zionwest(m): 10:49pm On Oct 05, 2016
Adex097:
From my statistical analysis, 97% of Nairaland ladies will support OP while 90% of Nairaland guys will go against his plan. Oya let the war begin grin
against his plan??..he hasnt decided yet..calm your bballs
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by tellwisdom: 10:50pm On Oct 05, 2016
Mumu boi...because u don begin earn peanut, u think u are ripe to do anything u feel like?? ...E go do u vooom na nya sad
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by CuteMorriz: 10:51pm On Oct 05, 2016
Super story....Next!...Action
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Adex097: 10:52pm On Oct 05, 2016
zionwest:
against his plan??..he hasnt decided yet
Seems you missed this part.

I'll be travelling out of the country next year with my company to start an off-shore business unit and I planned to get married to her by December and take her along with me.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by steppin: 10:55pm On Oct 05, 2016
LekinsRibirth:
I'm currently on a crossroad and I really need your cordial insights on this issue.
I graduated two years ago and I'm currently 25years old and God has been extremely so good to me.
I was recently able to secure a job in a multinational firm and I receive a very good pay.
I've been able to put a lot of things in order and I feel I'm ready to settle down.
I proposed marriage to my girlfriend who is currently 23 and she accepted. our families have been friends even before we were born. myself and her grew up together and we are literally best friends( we've officially been dating for the past 4years).
I've stated my intentions to my parents and hers but they both disagreed .They said we're too young to start a family and we should wait for a minimum of 4 to 5 years .
They threatened not to give me their blessings and never to accept money from me if I go ahead with my plans.
You're too young to marry. If you get married now, give it two years and you'll be asking yourself why you couldn't wait a little longer.
Young people get bored easily and most times, they lack the patience and understanding needed in a marriage.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Realhommie(m): 10:55pm On Oct 05, 2016
FortuneTeller:
There is nothing wrong with marrying at 25 as long as you are both mature. God has been preparing this wife for you before you were born and now your family wants to hinder the plan. As long as you are responsible and loving, why are they against it? Maybe they want to chop your money first. Take your wife now before some other man tries to spoil her in this harsh economy. Unless there is a serious problem which you have not revealed to us, continue to encourage your family about the matter. If they don't agree, the arrival of a new baby would help them. smiley
And how are you so sure that it's this woman God has been preparing for the Op?

What if God is saying something now but coz of impatience the Op doesn't wanna listen?

@25 and @23, they're both not too young for marriage since Age isn't maturity. But if both their parents are saying they should wait then let them wait, though it shouldn't be up to that 4-5 years they're proposing.

Marriage no be childs and impatience is not a virtue.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by MrTour: 10:56pm On Oct 05, 2016
Just give her belle Chikena smiley

If you have low sperm count too just like i read in a thread a few minutes ago, just give me the contract and I will deliver.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Barigaboy(m): 10:58pm On Oct 05, 2016
For me since u used d word are it means your father n mother. Please don't go against their will. My friend almost settle down with a pregnant lady. Its becos of her parent refusal n my advice that stop him just d way m advising u now. It was after a month we found out that her tommy was bigger. She had been pregnant for her ex after they broke up. Her ex take her home for on protected sex whenever they meet on d road n she never refused for once n she was my friends fiancee. Our parent see beyond us. Please obey your parent now. U will surely thank them later. Forget abt d love, time u shared, her beauty n d promise u guys has made. Their r always better ladies n must u disobey your parent because of a girl. And do u think they wud allow u make mistakes.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by oluwafreshkid(m): 10:58pm On Oct 05, 2016
OP, you stay at ib? Oddy?
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by djojo(m): 10:58pm On Oct 05, 2016
I dont know the reason ur parent av to stop u from getting marriage at that age, maybe u are the bread winner of that house or with the way they see u, u still show some level of immaturity. But to me I see noting there. Even God want us to marry early so as to avoid fornication and all that. Talk to any of ur parent that av listening hears and let them see the reasons behind ur action.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Realhommie(m): 11:01pm On Oct 05, 2016
lepasharon:
Are you a little kid? Are you living ur life for ur parents? If you feeling like its time then go ahead and marry
You don't feel like to get married, you plan/prepare for it.

So let's say he's ready like he claims, he should go ahead ehn, without the consent and blessings of both parents?

Where are you from please?

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by danilho(m): 11:01pm On Oct 05, 2016
You both are not two young, as long as there love and understanding. Must every guy over 30 before dem marry. Maturity no be by age, we c 23 wey mature pass 33. The two of should Convince your parent that you are old enough and ready but don't be rude and mind your words.

5 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by zcee: 11:01pm On Oct 05, 2016
If u want to marry,go ahead and marry...dat age is OK fo marriage,if I ve made it in ds lyf by 25,I will decide to build up a family
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by vicben27(m): 11:02pm On Oct 05, 2016
LekinsRibirth:
is ok to settle down @ 25 dnt mind dos tellin u it aint right if u got all it take plead wit ur parents n go ahead derz nothing more wndaful dan strtn a family early! wit ur kids round ur table unaccomplished haters wil awayz say trash.

3 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by zionwest(m): 11:02pm On Oct 05, 2016
Adex097:

Seems you missed this part.
oh..ok..but it doesnt look like it's a plan anymore according to his parents
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Mayorwer: 11:04pm On Oct 05, 2016
LekinsRibirth:

I smell lies in the whole story.
Who are your parents
Who gave you job in a multinational firm. You graduated at 23 a d got multinational firm job. Na so all that easy for this country? But it's very possible if your father is one of the thieves that has led this country to this stage that we are. Abeg give me one orijin......
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by JeffreyJamez(m): 11:06pm On Oct 05, 2016
macminista:
if thier refusal is based on something else other than age i would agree if not, its a NO NO

You're not his parents and you don't know him one on one. You're only saying this based on what he has written.. He might have some traits that still makes him "young" in the eyes of his parents.

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by nickvanilla(m): 11:08pm On Oct 05, 2016
LekinsRibirth:

If what u just wrote here is all there is to the matter, then i will advice you to go ahead and marry that girl. You can't satisfy or please everyone at the same time. Your parents cannot decide how u run your life because you are a full grown man who has decided to make a life decision for himself. I tell u, my wish is to get married at 25 and i sincerely hope that happens. So far u have a steady job with more than enough to cater for a family don't mind anyone who tries to tell u otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by sammyjay7265(m): 11:17pm On Oct 05, 2016
give am belle...(pregnancy) that settles it

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by yedidiah(m): 11:19pm On Oct 05, 2016
At 25 in Nigeria, you are still a kid to your parent. Secondly, what have you learnt about responsibilities beyond that you now earn salary and pay your own bills?

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by macminista(m): 11:29pm On Oct 05, 2016
JeffreyJamez:

You're not his parents and you don't know him one on one. You're only saying this based on what he has written.. He might have some traits that still makes him "young" in the eyes of his parents.
That is why i said "age" is not a factor. He could be 35, 25, 27,32 and be considered to be matured or not..Guy make we no stress ourselves nite don reach for 9ja..

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Nobody: 11:32pm On Oct 05, 2016
Realhommie:
And how are you so sure that it's this woman God has been preparing for the Op?

What if God is saying something now but coz of impatience the Op doesn't wanna listen?

@25 and @23, they're both not too young for marriage since Age isn't maturity. But if both their parents are saying they should wait then let them wait, though it shouldn't be up to that 4-5 years they're proposing.

Marriage no be childs and impatience is not a virtue.

What does the world have in store for them that that will make waiting the best choice? The man has already graduated and has a job. He has found a wife. He waited until he was prepared before thinking of marriage. Why put himself in the world to be tempted by women he doesn't know? He knows the girl very well and even the families are known to each other. This girl is almost like a sister to him. Wait 5 years? MADNESS! If the family has no other valid reason for refusing than their ages, then there must be an issue they are not telling the op. Does her family want her to wait for a guy who already has money or does his family want all future earnings before he gets a wife? Is there a more serious matter the op is withholding from us? I suggest op examine the root cause of their refusal and if it has no merit, encourage the families. I am not telling him to marry without permission, but with supporting facts to plead his case.

3 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by InvertedHammer: 11:33pm On Oct 05, 2016
LekinsRibirth:
/
Do it.

Your parents are stuck in the 19th century.
If you are blessed, at 50 your first born will be 24. What other joy can you ask of God?

Some people wait till 40 to get married and by the time their children graduates from university, they will be old and senile.

Under 20 is too young. Above 21, you are good to go. If you believe that two of you are made for each other, why the unnecessary delay?
\

3 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by NemzySeries(m): 11:36pm On Oct 05, 2016
Cutehector:
I think they are right... why not wait until you are 30yrs of age first.... marriage isn't smth u rush into.
y 30? or reaching 30 means one has pasted d age of doing stupid tinz? jst wanna kw

2 Likes

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by NemzySeries(m): 11:42pm On Oct 05, 2016
not until U're married as a single guy U're every gal's bf on d strength wit nida privacy or restrictions.......i'll 26 2nd of November & bliv me if I av wat it takes to start a new family I'm waiting 4 no 1 provided U're wit d right person....if u marry @ 25 & God blesses u wit kids & orda tastes of life u shd av a graduate b4 U're 50 & den plan orda gud stuffs 4 ur sef & kids

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by beautiful232(f): 11:42pm On Oct 05, 2016
not true story at all

but I don't care sha.

How can your parent refused you to get married cause your too young and ready

that's not enough reason

when your able to say the truth behind it

will still read it

for now, have seen people more younger than
you both getting married everyday

So

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by Familyfirst: 11:44pm On Oct 05, 2016
LekinsRibirth:
At 25,working, you are not too young to get married ask your parents whether they have some other reasons apart from age.
May be you visit familyparliament.com forum to get deep answers to marriage problems.
Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by martineverest(m): 11:52pm On Oct 05, 2016
mulattoclaroo:
Nigerians and their mentality though. What's wrong if he marries at 25? My dad was 24 when he married my mom. I got married at 26 and I'm currently 27 with a lovely and another baby is currently on the way. So what's the fuss about this guy marrying at 25?
d thing taya me o.

I was amazed when i first saw the post and was overly amazed @ the comment section.....it seems poverty has shifted marriges in nigeria to 30s and its now a norm

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by NairaMaster1(m): 11:55pm On Oct 05, 2016
JeffreyJamez:
I'm with your parents on this one..... The fact you're okay financially doesn't mean you're ready for marriage... It's not like they said you shouldn't marry her, they said you both should wait!... So my advice... ...wait!

1. Marriage is security
2. Surrogacy rate is high today due to late marriage
3. Are the girl friends you have not fuxking you?

Go ahead and marry. No better time than this. You are highly productive now. Be guised. But if your parents wants you to marry at 40 may God answer their prayers. Amen

1 Like

Re: My Parents Are Against Me Getting Married by pocohantas(f): 12:09am On Oct 06, 2016
No be Nigerian parents again?
The issue isn't that you are not mature, they want to reap their ROI via you, they know that if you get married at 25 and the kids start coming, nothing much for them.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Colleague's Husband Stresses His Wife Daily / 62-year-old Nigerian Woman Delivers Triplet After 33 Years Of Marriage (photos) / His Mother Said His Fiancee Is Not Beautiful And Classy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.