Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:19 AM

Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer (13787 Views)

15 Common Job Interview Questions For Freshers And How To Answer Them / FCSC 2016 Recruitment: FCSC Releases Batch A List For Interview! / Possible Answers To Some Interview Questions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by PatrickOkunima(m): 9:30am On Oct 06, 2016
Most times, you’ll encounter the same old, same old questions you’ve come to expect: “Tell me about yourself,” “What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?” and “Why did you leave your last job?” Still other times you will be asked behavior-based questions that classically begin with “Tell me about a time when…” or “How would you do…?”

Regardless of which kind of approach is taken, the whole idea behind these questions for which there is no one right answer is less about the actual content but rather to discern aspects about your personality, work style, values, perspective and how your mind works. These are all things one can’t reliably ask directly.

Nonetheless, you can anticipate legitimate issues of any employer’s concern, prepare by crafting stories in response to these questions and display yourself in the best possible light.

1. Do you show up for work? On one very basic level, an employer wants to know that you live within a reasonable commuting distance so that you are able to arrive on time and not be mentally fatigued. But on a deeper level, be prepared to demonstrate with your answer that you actually care about your work, take it seriously and are psychologically engaged as opposed to just physically present.
Do you immediately accept the challenge of figuring out how many windows are in New York? Do you relish the opportunity and show how you would dig in to go about finding a reasonable approximation? Can you talk about how in the past you jumped into a job or project with both feet first?

2. Are you flexible? Prepare stories that demonstrate you can adapt to changing circumstances and needs. Can you speak about how you have adjusted your schedule, come in early and left late or adapted to the work style of a new boss or different team members? Are you willing to shift your priorities and work style to meet the needs of others?
What stories can you tell to demonstrate that you can go with the flow to help get done whatever needs to happen?

3. Are you ambitious? Few people can actually predict what they will be doing five years from now. But can you talk about the overall arc of your career up to this point? Do the transitions from one position to the next over the course of your professional life make sense, or are they happenstance? Can you articulate the general direction in which you want to move?
What have you done to propel your career forward up to this point? And, are you relying on what you did in 1985 and how you did it to get hired today? Do you think that the skills and knowledge you have will get you by for the long haul, or what are your plans to keep up with the latest and greatest information, innovations, trends and technology?

Put simply: can you articulate a vision of what you want to accomplish in the job for which you are applying, and beyond? And can you weave this vision into the narrative you tell?

4. How well do you communicate? It is rare to find a job description that doesn’t include strong communications skills among the requirements, and few are the CVs that don’t claim those skills. Most interviewers will judge your level of intelligence and your attitude by the way you speak and convey your own personal story.

Often, interview questions are purposefully open-ended to see how you will respond when challenged. Do you summon relevant facts and stories from your past, or do you meander through an answer without dealing with the concern of your interviewer? Do you engage through dialogue, open body language and clarity of thought? Do you understand when enough has been said and it is time to stop speaking?

When you take the time to step back from the interview process to think about the underlying concerns of any employer, you can gain valuable perspective. Then you can go about effectively crafting your own stories with these concerns, and thereby increase your odds of hearing the words that every job hunter craves: “You’re hired.”

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/2016/06/21/preparing-for-interview-questions-that-do-not-have-a-right-answer/

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by mayten(m): 9:34am On Oct 06, 2016
nice piece

Thank God for Being FTC

mods please move this thread to the front page
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by PatrickOkunima(m): 3:14pm On Oct 06, 2016
Thanks.
mayten:
nice piece

Thank God for Being FTC

mods please move this thread to the front page
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by africanjink(m): 6:43am On Oct 08, 2016
lipsrsealed
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by Marcelinho(m): 6:53am On Oct 08, 2016
Very cool, weldone op
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by Realhommie(m): 6:54am On Oct 08, 2016
Insightful..
Nice one Op
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by izzy4shizzy(m): 6:55am On Oct 08, 2016
I dont know what to type sef, I will just say nothing
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by AlexCk: 6:59am On Oct 08, 2016
Nice one Op,

But the truth is,
Sometimes an interview doesn't really describe the personality of an individual.

Honesty is quite helpful, but most people still get axed during interviews for that,

I no go lie u,
Positivity helps shaa,

P. S - they go dey ask for experience, but they don't want to give u ur 1st experience. Tor

3 Likes

Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by Cutex01(m): 7:00am On Oct 08, 2016
Thanks for the head- ups
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by rezzy: 7:02am On Oct 08, 2016
Ff
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by olarent: 7:09am On Oct 08, 2016
Thanks man.pls if someone is asked in interview dat wat is ur strenght and weakness can someone tell me d rite answer to dat

1 Like

Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by DrPrickson: 7:11am On Oct 08, 2016
Thanks
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by emmadaji: 7:17am On Oct 08, 2016
Great info
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by BUSHHUNTER: 7:26am On Oct 08, 2016
I don`t prepare myself ahead of anything....i just go in to do ma thing.
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by youngberry001(m): 7:34am On Oct 08, 2016
Copy that.....
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by milky3(f): 7:58am On Oct 08, 2016
ok
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by Wizkhalifa2(m): 8:12am On Oct 08, 2016
olarent:
Thanks man.pls if someone is asked in interview dat wat is ur strenght and weakness can someone tell me d rite answer to dat
is a simple stuff, my weakness is fried plantain wit gizzard, infact my last girlfriend wen she mke it, it's so juicy, I dunno wot to say

2 Likes

Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by Rosella1: 8:58am On Oct 08, 2016
Wizkhalifa2:
is a simple stuff, my weakness is fried plantain wit gizzard, infact my last girlfriend wen she mke it, it's so juicy, I dunno wot to say

Eye jurst broke up wit her!
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by dzousev(m): 9:22am On Oct 08, 2016
BUSHHUNTER:
I don`t prepare myself ahead of anything....i just go in to do ma thing.

Like u go into an exam hall without preparation....smh
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by superfelix: 12:54pm On Oct 08, 2016
smiley
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by Chigorkizz(m): 1:46pm On Oct 08, 2016
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by 0955eb027(m): 4:49pm On Oct 08, 2016
Space
Re: Preparing For Interview Questions That Do Not Have A Right Answer by PatrickOkunima(m): 8:39pm On Jan 22, 2018
Marcelinho:
Very cool, weldone op
Thank you

(1) (Reply)

Jumia Group Fresh Job Recruitment (4 Positions) / Jaiz Bank / Is Coronation Merchant Bank Recruitment A Scam Or Not?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.