Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,963 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:35 AM

The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. (27131 Views)

Watch:Reason Why You Shouldn't Buy A Lamborghini Murcielago If You're A Big Man / For The Bikers - When You Suddenly Realize You're Following Too Closely / New FRSC Rule On Drivers License (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by segcymoor(m): 10:01am On Oct 09, 2016
laivwire:
I had an early morning trip about a month ago so I set out of the house around 6am. It was still a little dark and there were light showers. I eased out of my area into the highway and cruised t about 60kmph on the fast lane.

Scene of accident
A woman wanted to turn off from the slow lane into a roadside church but was obstructed by a taxi man who made an abrupt turn into the road after picking a passenger. Through instinct or whatever, the lady swiftly turned back and right into the fast lane which was a clear road from where I was coming from. I slammed o. The brakes but the short time difference, distance and slippery road just had my truck screeching until I Emmys her from behind. I was driving a Hilux and both headlamps and fender got smashed on impact while her Honda had no boot again. She came out apologizing for her error but 30 mins later the story had changed to me be being guilty cos I hit her from behind. These allegations were by new passers by who didn't witness the incident. Eventually I had to part with 30k to fix her car and walk away with my damages.

Which rule states that as long as you hit from behind you're guilty no matter the circumstances? I need clarity please

Hmnn. Ur case is delicate one.However, it is expected u at d back can see front in which d person in front. Of u may.not see back.
Period!

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by segcymoor(m): 10:05am On Oct 09, 2016
DelTel:

Its rightly so because of some reasons:

- you are expected to be able to bring your car to a halt immediately in case of emergency, meaning you should drive cautiously (at reasonable speed limit) even if on a highway.

- you are expected to anticipate and appreciate other road users would be using the road hence be cautious.

- before you could have hit her from behind and not her hitting your side, then she was totally in front of you.

In all, road users should have in mind that other road users are either not concentrating or inexperienced (my take).

Finally, subscribe to a Comprehensive motor vehicle insurance from a reputable insurance company, its affordable (max 4% of car value) and covers both your vehicle and the other party and doesn't even penalise for negligence in Nigeria as of now. So take advantage especially in this recession period.
U seem to be Road safety officer
U nailed it!

3 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by luciouscookie: 10:26am On Oct 09, 2016
PaperLace:

lol. The country is complicated enough, let's not complicate it further. I used to follow his POST with my old account, never seen anything like married_ I say make I ask na.
Yea, nothing personal tongue.
Take him from auto repairs to medical line, I wouldn't be attracted again. The attraction is strictly because of his occupation...I love 'car guys'.

Emm...I like you too (nothing personal)and a whole lot of car talk guys. His own just got kinda complicated because he is married.
Are you also married? lipsrsealed

Very nice/bold ring.
Nice fingers too_ you don't get to touch them engines and all that?
I expected something rough.
She should have no fear, I am married too... grin

Let's not derail jare
Gbam! I don't catch you today. I know I will meet you here BTW why did you deactivate your? And why this funny moniker?
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by nocosomia: 10:29am On Oct 09, 2016
Ho
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by streetzdreamz(m): 10:43am On Oct 09, 2016
laivwire:
I had an early morning trip about a month ago so I set out of the house around 6am. It was still a little dark and there were light showers. I eased out of my area into the highway and cruised t about 60kmph on the fast lane.

Scene of accident
A woman wanted to turn off from the slow lane into a roadside church but was obstructed by a taxi man who made an abrupt turn into the road after picking a passenger. Through instinct or whatever, the lady swiftly turned back and right into the fast lane which was a clear road from where I was coming from. I slammed o. The brakes but the short time difference, distance and slippery road just had my truck screeching until I Emmys her from behind. I was driving a Hilux and both headlamps and fender got smashed on impact while her Honda had no boot again. She came out apologizing for her error but 30 mins later the story had changed to me be being guilty cos I hit her from behind. These allegations were by new passers by who didn't witness the incident. Eventually I had to part with 30k to fix her car and walk away with my damages.

Which rule states that as long as you hit from behind you're guilty no matter the circumstances? I need clarity please

bro, its a very st*pid law, whoever made such laws didn't view the pros n cons well enough, you can't expect your vehicle to have an abrupt stop each time you slam on the breaks, friction,surface area and all that oughta be taken into considerations, from your words the woman was guilty and she knew it,hence her initial apology,but the table turned when passers by came up with the s*lly law, have never experienced such though, we have so many reckless drivers, who just swerve right in front of you without viewing the mirrors, its a shame we can't change such laws, just be more careful next time,we av so many disoriented motorists on the highway, keeping a safe distance and overtaking when safe works perfectly.
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Originalsly: 11:02am On Oct 09, 2016
eyinjuege:

The bee?
cheesy cheesy
Lol... maybe!
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by metroid(m): 11:16am On Oct 09, 2016
laivwire:

Scene of accident

30k in this hard times shocked bros go and buy a dashboard Cam
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Originalsly: 11:28am On Oct 09, 2016
mfm04622:

Die we read the OP's story at all? The OP hit someone that just changed Lane WITHOUT warning! So we should become mind readers while driving to know when people will change lane without warning?
Yes... I read the story... and understood it very well. The OP would be at fault. Why? He saw the taxi suddenly pulling out into the path of the Honda. A defensive driver at that instance would anticipate the Honda would take evasive action and move over to the fast lane....which the lady did. At the same instant Op...if he were a defensive driver... should have anticipated the Honda would swerve into his lane..the fast lane. His options.... either brake to avoid the Honda...or change lane. From his story... he still believes the Honda had no business in his clear fast lane. When the Honda got in the lane is when he applied the brakes... that was too late... and driving too fast on the wet road did not help. To smash the car flush from the back shows little was done in time to avoid the accident or he was over speeding. The back of the Honda should never have been hit.The lady avoided the taxi...same situation...the taxi suddenly pulling into her lane... couldn't he then avoid her in his lane?

4 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by fyneboi79(m): 11:41am On Oct 09, 2016
laivwire:

Scene of accident

I don't really get your picture of how she obstructed you since she had gotten into the fast lane fully for you to smash her boot and not the side of her car. You were obviously moving too fast and did not slow down cos you seemed to have seen all the taxi did.Yet you failed to anticipate the worst reaction from the woman behind the taxi,which is jumping into ur lane and yet you did not slow down cos you had the assumption the woman will let you pass first.And when she acted without experience and didn't let you through, you applied 11th hour brake.so you are at fault really.

3 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Originalsly: 11:43am On Oct 09, 2016
mfm04622:

Simple. Nobody expect you to start calculating for cars on different lanes than yours. You have priority and right of way on your lane over any other car.
This is the mentality that cause such accidents. You are expected to observe and consider the cars in other lanes . That's why you need to keep glancing in your mirrors every ten seconds or so... to know what is going on around you...not just be staring down the lane ahead of you. Should someone cut you off...as in op case...would you slam the brake?...swerve to the left?..or right?... or is it only then you would look to see if a Mack truck or tanker is behind or besides you? You need to be aware of what is going on in the lanes around you.

3 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by fyneboi79(m): 11:54am On Oct 09, 2016
Originalsly:
This is the mentality that cause such accidents. You are expected to observe and consider the cars in other lanes . That's why you need to keep glancing in your mirrors every ten seconds or so... to know what is going on around you...not just be staring down the lane ahead of you. Should someone cut you off...as in op case...would you slam the brake?...swerve to the left?..or right?... or is it only then you would look to see if a Mack truck or tanker is behind or you? You need to be aware of what is going on in the lanes around you.
drivers have become too lazy to be Watchful and most don't use the rear view mirrow

2 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by DelTel(m): 12:06pm On Oct 09, 2016
Originalsly:
Yes... I read the story... and understood it very well. The OP would be at fault. Why? He saw the taxi suddenly pulling out into the path of the Honda. A defensive driver at that instance would anticipate the Honda would take evasive action and move over to the fast lane....which the lady did. At the same instant Op...if he were a defensive driver... should have anticipated the Honda would swerve into his lane..the fast lane. His options.... either brake to avoid the Honda...or change lane. From his story... he still believes the Honda had no business in his clear fast lane. When the Honda got in the lane is when he applied the brakes... that was too late... and driving too fast on the wet road did not help. To smash the car flush from the back shows little was done in time to avoid the accident or he was over speeding. The back of the Honda should never have been hit.The lady avoided the taxi...same situation...the taxi suddenly pulling into her lane... couldn't he then avoid her in his lane?

Gbammmmm! Domino effect.

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by DelTel(m): 12:13pm On Oct 09, 2016
segcymoor:

U seem to be Road safety officer
U nailed it!

Partially sir, am a pro bono road safety personnel anytime the need arises while am on the road. Also a member of traffic unit in my church.

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by macminista(m): 12:13pm On Oct 09, 2016
laivwire:

Scene of accident

chief go and read about defensive driving

2 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by vislabraye(m): 12:19pm On Oct 09, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

I use a small motion detection HD spy cam, works wonders. Since it is motion detection activated it also serves as my security cam when I'm not in the car. Iv used it to catch a street thief before grin

It comes with sticky tape.

32more available if interested call 08033910382

That's nice. What's the cost and what's the capacity ?
Do you have to delete what has been recorded previously ?

This is goid cos i can install it inside my car incase of police men. Do you have a similar ones that could be used inside vehicles ?
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by mfm04622: 1:09pm On Oct 09, 2016
DelTel:

Big Oga, I want to believe you have not seen the video above.

Every road user has to anticipate (calculate make I use ur word) other cars and road users (be it biker, pedestrian -including a KID who might jaywalk though illegal); reason why 100% concentration is required while handling the wheel, no handling with gadgets, eating (if our govt were to be serious, they should be thinking of adding talking to the list with the way Nigerian drive! grin)

How would you feel if a faster car than yours zooooooooms off beside you when you get to change lane to your so-labelled SLOW lane? The fast car owner too can claim no car in front of him right?

Pls lets consider other road-users and reduce the accidents on our road. Most accidents are caused by impatience and disregard for others with our "i-own-the-road" mentality.

Safe and defensive driving reduces accidents and damage to our cars which invariably affects our pockets.

Oga, forget long English! You have no right changing Lane without warning! If you do get hit, it is YOUR fault. Simple! So the driver going on in his lane is supposed to be the Superman scanning his front, back and sides while any fool can jump in his front?

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by mfm04622: 1:20pm On Oct 09, 2016
DelTel:

How would you feel if a faster car than yours zooooooooms off beside you when you get to change lane to your so-labelled SLOW lane? The fast car owner too can claim no car in front of him right?

Pls lets consider other road-users and reduce the accidents on our road. Most accidents are caused by impatience and disregard for others with our "i-own-the-road" mentality.

Safe and defensive driving reduces accidents and damage to our cars which invariably affects our pockets.

When I want to change lane, I put on my trafficator and WAIT till either the road is FREE or the car on the lane permit me to move in his front! Any car already on the lane I want to move to has right of way. I must defer to them!
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by DICKtator: 1:48pm On Oct 09, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

you were at faulty before i even explain being hit from an side angle

how can you overtake close to right or left turn ?

Are you serious?

I doubt the other car signalled before moving to his front. How about that?

grin grin grin grin
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by DICKtator: 1:53pm On Oct 09, 2016
laivwire:

Well the road in front was clear for me, she dove in at the last possible second and the site of impact was to her rear left end. Honestly I feel she was clearly at fault as no superman could stop my vehicle within a split second as such. I guess gender quality issues played a role there too though but lesson learned nonetheless.

Did she signal or "trafficate" before switching lane? I guess not. So how can you be at fault?

grin grin grin grin
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by dabossman(m): 2:06pm On Oct 09, 2016
laivwire:

Well the road in front was clear for me, she dove in at the last possible second and the site of impact was to her rear left end. Honestly I feel she was clearly at fault as no superman could stop my vehicle within a split second as such. I guess gender quality issues played a role there too though but lesson learned nonetheless.

Bro, people just use that nonsense excuse to get away with bad driving. You want to switch lanes from slow lane (right) to fast lane (left) and you don't indicate/trafficate and ensure that there are no oncoming vehicles, you just switch lanes. What is that? What happened to giving way to traffic on your left?

I had a similar experience with some guys who turned out to be drunk. They were speeding down the slow lane while I was on the fast lane. Suddenly a danfo stopped at the bus stop to drop passengers, blocking their path. Without any thought, without indicating, the driver just swung the nose of his car in front of me. I slammed the brakes and even tried swinging away from him, but couldn't because of the concrete culvert on my left. Next thing I hit him on his left fender just before the driver's door (for you to know that we were almost parallel when he switched lanes.

Next thing I hear, I hit him from behind, I'm guilty. I went ballistic. You are approaching a parked car, you didn't slow down, indicate, check your mirror for oncoming traffic, you just swung your car onto the next lane. Hell no. After much drama, and intervention by bystanders, we both left the scene to individually go and attend to our damages. The guy and his friends were reeking of alcohol.

Before you switch lanes from right to a faster left lane, you must be sure the coast is clear.

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by DICKtator: 2:06pm On Oct 09, 2016
mfm04622:

Oga, did you read the story at all?
1) She was on the SLOW Lane.
2) without warning, she moved into the fast lane from nearly stationary position.

The OP was not liable. All what you wrote is okay for you car already in front of you since you are required to keep adequate distance to enable you stop without hitting the car in front. For any car that just zoomed into your front, you are NOT liable. Simple. Nobody expect you to start calculating for cars on different lanes than yours. You have priority and right of way on your lane over any other car.

You are so right. I doubt if she signalled before changing to a FAST lane
It is mandatory you signal when changing lane!!.
The only confusing thing to me( a little bit confusing) is how he was able to analyse what happened that led to the woman "jumping" into the fast lane. Well, maybe because he wasn't moving so fast and he observe what was happening on the right,albeit he still "jammed" her or the lady whose car was "hitted" broke down the scenario for him!!

grin grin grin grin
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Nobody: 2:10pm On Oct 09, 2016
luciouscookie:

Gbam! I don't catch you today. I know I will meet you here BTW why did you deactivate your? And why this funny moniker?

I love paper lace na.
I just felt like deactivating, I guess amma be doing that often...lols.
Who is this? cheesy
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by Ipfreely: 2:13pm On Oct 09, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

I use a small motion detection HD spy cam, works wonders. Since it is motion detection activated it also serves as my security cam when I'm not in the car. Iv used it to catch a street thief before grin

It comes with sticky tape.

32more available if interested call 08033910382

Boss, more info on this please.
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by omogidi234(m): 2:24pm On Oct 09, 2016
DelTel:

Its rightly so because of some reasons:

- you are expected to be able to bring your car to a halt immediately in case of emergency, meaning you should drive cautiously (at reasonable speed limit) even if on a highway.

- you are expected to anticipate and appreciate other road users would be using the road hence be cautious.

- before you could have hit her from behind and not her hitting your side, then she was totally in front of you.

In all, road users should have in mind that other road users are either not concentrating or inexperienced (my take).

Finally, subscribe to a Comprehensive motor vehicle insurance from a reputable insurance company, its affordable (max 4% of car value) and covers both your vehicle and the other party and doesn't even penalise for negligence in Nigeria as of now. So take advantage especially in this recession period.

1 million likes for this expression. When FRSC was newly established and was headed by Wole Soyinka (as chairman of the commission), he wrote a statement" as a driver on Nigerian roads, you must assume that you are the only SANE person on the road, others are INSANE". Morally speaking, this woman was guilty but in terms of the high way code, the OP is guilty.

2 Likes

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:00pm On Oct 09, 2016
DICKtator:

Are you serious?

I doubt the other car signalled before moving to his front. How about that?

grin grin grin grin

still it doesnt matter thats why i said not reading the highcode and automatic are killing people in africa

its called anticipation of the next move of the things around while driving check the link of the test done here in UK you willl understand

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:23pm On Oct 09, 2016
DICKtator:

You are so right. I doubt if she signalled before changing to a FAST lane
It is mandatory you signal when changing lane!!.
The only confusing thing to me( a little bit confusing) is how he was able to analyse what happened that led to the woman "jumping" into the fast lane. Well, maybe because he wasn't moving so fast and he observe what was happening on the right,albeit he still "jammed" her or the lady whose car was "hitted" broke down the scenario for him!!

grin grin grin grin

according to UK laws there is nothing called FAST LANE the Lanes are open to 70mph but when a car is overtaking it shouldnt undertake

if your know the meaning of undertaking anf finally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAByfYj4aIY

check this video of lane hogging
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AGzWyOChnQ
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by DelTel(m): 4:09pm On Oct 09, 2016
mfm04622:

When I want to change lane, I put on my trafficator and WAIT till either the road is FREE or the car on the lane permit me to move in his front! Any car already on the lane I want to move to has right of way. I must defer to them!
mfm04622:

Oga, forget long English! You have no right changing Lane without warning! If you do get hit, it is YOUR fault. Simple! So the driver going on in his lane is supposed to be the Superman scanning his front, back and sides while any fool can jump in his front?

Yes, a driver is "supposed to be the Superman scanning his front, back and sides" which even the OP inadvertently alluded to by noticing " taxi man who made an abrupt turn into the road........., the lady swiftly turned back".

Wouldn't it had been a different story if the OP had immediately reduced his speed knowing a fellow road-user might be in distress.

2 or even 3 wrongs don't make a right, the taxi-man did wrong, the woman did wrong, must the OP also (esp after witnessing and narrating all he saw vividly).

We will not be here if the OP had acted instinctively and he won't have lost man-hours and money, and dents his car.

The OP could have been the SUPERHERO if had reduced his speed, am sure the woman (and his conscience) would even thank him for that.

YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE VIDEO YET RIGHT? PLS DO SEE IT.

1 Like

Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by mfm04622: 5:36pm On Oct 09, 2016
DelTel:

Yes, a driver is "supposed to be the Superman scanning his front, back and sides" which even the OP inadvertently alluded to by noticing " taxi man who made an abrupt turn into the road........., the lady swiftly turned back".

Wouldn't it had been a different story if the OP had immediately reduced his speed knowing a fellow road-user might be in distress.

2 or even 3 wrongs don't make a right, the taxi-man did wrong, the woman did wrong, must the OP also (esp after witnessing and narrating all he saw vividly).

We will not be here if the OP had acted instinctively and he won't have lost man-hours and money, and dents his car.

The OP could have been the SUPERHERO if had reduced his speed, am sure the woman (and his conscience) would even thank him for that.

Don't you think all his analysis might have come AFTER the accident? So only the OP is supposed to be the Superman? Others are not required to do the right thing. And then you blame him for others jumping in his front! The person that hit from the back is not ALWAYS at fault. This case is an example
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by kpolli(m): 5:42pm On Oct 09, 2016
laivwire:

Scene of accident

I am sure the rule doesn't also cover cars that switch lanes. I know of guys who switched lanes and got hit.... It's their insurance that paid.... Do not switch lanes except you are matching the speed of the users of the lane....

Plus if she didn't use her pointers then it's totally her fault.... The law states that

In this case, wasn't your fault
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by mfm04622: 5:57pm On Oct 09, 2016
DelTel:

I have watched both videos and they are not related to this case! So why are you insisting I watch them?
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by DelTel(m): 6:23pm On Oct 09, 2016
mfm04622:

I have watched both videos and they are not related to this case! So why are you insisting I watch them?

Oh really embarassed!

Nothing more to say Sir. lipsrsealed
Re: The 'you Hit Me From Behind So You're Guilty Rule' Is Being Abused. by horpeelo(m): 10:39pm On Oct 09, 2016
There is a fastest way to become a billionaire
Not a hype,not MLM,not MMM, this is purely currency
A currency for the people programmed to end poverty
An abundance based currency that its value never go down but always goes up
Grab this most powerful and life changing opportunity.
There will be a free seminar on WhatsApp this saturday
send a message to 08178435354 saying "am in for the free seminar" with your name also specified

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC / Top 10 Most Valuable Car Brands 2018: Mercedes Overtakes Toyota And Rival,BMW / 7 Types Of Cars You May Have A Hard Time Shipping To Nigeria From USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.