Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,716 members, 7,805,948 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:59 AM

419ers Take Over Facebook - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / 419ers Take Over Facebook (9507 Views)

10 Reasons To Choose Echatbook Over Facebook / Beware: News44.org Virus Takes Over Facebook And Twitter / 419ers In D House Using Free Browsing 2 Hold Us 4 Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

419ers Take Over Facebook by Godmother(f): 4:48pm On Oct 18, 2009
Guys, I saw this on  a site and I couldnt wait to post it on nairaland. Its a pity what some Nigerians are doing to our image around the world

Nigerian scammers have moved into the popular social network site, Face book, as their new tool for luring potentials victims, according to the American elite Federal Bureau of Investigation 9FBI).
The disturbing evolution of the fraud (419) from e-mails from Nigerians who hijacked Face book accounts is raising serious concerns within law enforcement circles worldwide.

Only last month, the agency revealed that a Missouri woman was taken for $50,000 by a scammer posing as a friend on face book. The FBI said the scam starts with spam messages that contain malicious links.
People careless enough to click on these links messages, are either led to fake Face book logs in pages that steal their e-mail and passengers that captures all of their user-names and pass words across several different sites.
Once the scammers have collected the information, they’ll begin to send messages to friend and families of the hijacked account claiming to be in trouble, in most cases stuck travelling abroad. “The messages claim that the person has lost his or her wallet or been mugged and needs a loan of several thousand of dollars to pay off hotel bills,” official stated.

The scam has become prevalent enough that the FBI deemed it necessary to issue a warning about the threat. The Bureau cited reports from internet Crime Complaint Center that the number of hijacked accounts reported has increased dramatically.

“There have been over 100,000 cases reported since but we’re sure at least as many if not significantly more have gone unreported to the centre,” officials warned user of Face book to contact their friends and family if they receive a plea for financial assistance from Face Book pal. “Exercise some skepticism and confirm their identity before wiring any money,” the agency advised.
Daily Sun, Friday October 9th 2009.
Page 42

http://www.alikali.com/ripoff/category/internet--emails/419ers-take-over-face-book/
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Mavor: 6:09pm On Oct 18, 2009
Men, this Yahoo boys wan destroy this country o!!! Before you know it, Facebook will start banning or seriously censoring Nigerians. God help us in this country.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by deji2009(m): 11:32pm On Oct 18, 2009
Men, this Yahoo boys wan destroy this country o!!! Before you know it, Facebook will start banning or seriously censoring Nigerians. God help us in this country.

nigeria!!!
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by zuuby(m): 12:21pm On Oct 19, 2009
How are we sure it's not some american ,indian or whatever masquerading as Nigerians
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by texazzpete(m): 1:29pm On Oct 19, 2009
zuuby:

How are we sure it's not some american ,indian or whatever masquerading as Nigerians

um, because the money is usually sent to Nigeria?
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Dclique(m): 7:09pm On Oct 19, 2009
These guys just wouldn't stop giving this country a bad name.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Dclique(m): 7:17pm On Oct 19, 2009
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by puskin: 12:56am On Oct 20, 2009
Any 419 event that happens around the globe is connected with Naija. Hmmm!!
undecided undecided undecided
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Dclique(m): 2:09am On Oct 20, 2009
Not all. But most of them.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Ighedome(m): 10:13am On Oct 20, 2009

Any 419 event that happens around the globe is connected with Naija. Hmmm!!

My dear people, May God help us o. Even the most hardened crimes committed world over are credited to Nigeria. Has crime become our second name? Did this fraudulent practices (419) started in Nigeria? How much investigations has the FBI conducted that revealed that such practices on Facebook are committed by Nigerians?

I think the Information Ministry need to make an official statement about this. Its high time these people stopped giving us a bad name. Enough is Enough!
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by SisiKill1: 6:23pm On Oct 20, 2009
Like they aren't doing the same thing on Nairaland?
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by ladi02(m): 6:23pm On Oct 20, 2009
We are always so fast to condemn Nigeria, how sure are we they are Nigerians, It could as well be some other fraudsters,
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by cvibe: 6:24pm On Oct 20, 2009
How are we sure they are Nigerians? It might just be some bloody indians pulling some fast one somewhere.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by SmashingM(f): 6:25pm On Oct 20, 2009
dear people, May God help us o. Even the most hardened crimes committed world over are credited to Nigeria. Has crime become our second name? Did this fraudulent practices (419) started in Nigeria? How much investigations has the FBI conducted that revealed that such practices on Facebook are committed by Nigerians?

I think the Information Ministry need to make an official statement about this. Its high time these people stopped giving us a bad name. Enough is Enough!
[quote][/quote]

EXACTLY!
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by r231(m): 6:29pm On Oct 20, 2009
na wa for dis yahoo yahoo boyz o they do anything to make money and spoil d country name
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by agathamari(f): 6:30pm On Oct 20, 2009
Ighedome:

My dear people, May God help us o. Even the most hardened crimes committed world over are credited to Nigeria. Has crime become our second name? Did this fraudulent practices (419) started in Nigeria? How much investigations has the FBI conducted that revealed that such practices on Facebook are committed by Nigerians?

the minisrty and the rest of the government are too busy stuffing thier pockets with all they stole from other nigerians to care where the ones they steal from are getting it
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by justwise(m): 6:34pm On Oct 20, 2009
This story was actually posted by a Nigerian in that website, click on the link and see who posted it 11days ago.

By the way, i read this last yr when i saw it on the news here.  Having said that, its pretty bad that we are making news for all wrong reasons.

When will all these nonsense come to an end?
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by deji2009(m): 6:40pm On Oct 20, 2009
This story was actually posted by a Nigerian in that website, click on the link and see who posted it 11days ago.

By the way, i read this last yr when i saw it on the news here. Having said that, its pretty bad that we are making news for all wrong reasons.

When will all these nonsense come to an end?

I'm sick and tired of all these mense. Just make you wonder, do we have a future. Nigeria
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by justwise(m): 6:48pm On Oct 20, 2009
deji2009:

I'm sick and tired of all these mense. Just make you wonder, do we have a future. Nigeria

Honestly my blood boils each time i read stuff like this. This is why i hate those morons in travel, Money, Education or business section trying to rip pple off by advertising for visa or admission just to dupe innocent pple
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by koolchicco: 7:04pm On Oct 20, 2009
Sisi_Kill:

Like they aren't doing the same thing on Nairaland?

Abi ooo! We berra watch it. sad
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Pharoh: 7:05pm On Oct 20, 2009
justwise:

Honestly my blood boils each time i read stuff like this. This is why i hate those morons in travel, Money, Education or business section trying to rip pple off by advertising for visa or admission just to dupe innocent pple

My brother please ooo don't kill yourself just have patience, it is a circle and when it finally goes round we will then realize it is not proper to dupe our fellow Nigerians. If every ills is exposed believe me we might just run mad or commit suicide. Yesterday we were praising yahoo yahoo boys when they duped foreigners but when they switched over to internal ATM fraud and share dividend scam we started to cry foul. When they started to kidnap Nigerians and not foreigners anymore we started to cry foul.

Just stay at the corner and watch from the sides don't kill yourself, the best you can do is to educate and give advice simple. Please don't hurt yourself, no one is traveling and we will all see the final outcome soon.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by gongoaso1: 7:08pm On Oct 20, 2009
this is so sad.
sad
weda or wedant the people doing these scams are nigerians, the problem is the country's image being bashed here.
most white peeps will always refer to you as being smart when you say u r from nigeria. you know what they mean, its so annoying angry
worse is you cant really defend the smart tag cos of news like this flying around angry angry angry
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by justwise(m): 7:14pm On Oct 20, 2009
Pharoh:

My brother please ooo don't kill yourself just have patience, it is a circle and when it finally goes round we will then realize it is not proper to dupe our fellow Nigerians. If every ills is exposed believe me we might just run mad or commit suicide. Yesterday we were praising yahoo yahoo boys when they duped foreigners but when they switched over to internal ATM fraud and share dividend scam we started to cry foul. When they started to kidnap Nigerians and not foreigners anymore we started to cry foul.
Just stay at the corner and watch from the sides don't kill yourself, the best you can do is to educate and give advice simple. Please don't hurt yourself, no one is traveling and we will all see the final outcome soon.

Count me out on those bolded part. I never ever support any evil heartless mind for dupping, kidnapping foreigners and will never ever dream of doing that. God knows my mind i hate everything that have to do with them. Nobody deserved to be duped or kidnapped. Whoever praised 419ners or kidnappers is evil and should be stoned to dead.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by proudly9ja(m): 7:17pm On Oct 20, 2009
Unfortunately, these crimes are committed by NIGERIANS!

It has happened to me and it also happened to a friend. Fortunately for me, it was resolved on time. For my friend, he had to open a new facebook account to warn all his friends.

My Experience:
I woke up one morning only to realise that I couldn't log into facebook again. I tried my password and it didnt work. I tried logging in into my yahoo account cos I use the same password and it worked so I knew it wasn't a problem with my password. Fortunately, facebook guys had also noticed 'malicious' tampering of my account and they had sent me a mail to my yahoo account. They adviced me to change the password which I did immediately.

By the time I logged in to facebook, 'someone' had sent my friends some funny message asking them to click on a link. The link will take you to a fake facebook page where if you enter your password, it will be stolen. I immediately sent a mail to all my friends not to click it and shared my experience.

My Friend's Experience.
Unfortunately, some of my friends had clicked on that link and thus exposed their passwords to these 419 guys. Luckily though, they quickly remedied it when they saw my mail and changed their password by writing to facebook customer service.
This particular friend of mine couldn't change his for one reason or another. The next thing I knew, he was 'online' one day and told me he had just gotten into trouble with some 'jamo' guys. He asked me to send him money if possible. Now this friend of mine is in the US. I asked him how much and he said £800. It was at that time I knew something was amiss. Im not sure anyone in UK or US will ask you to loan him that amount just like that. So I asked him how far with his mum and if she's feeling better (my real friend's mum died years ago) and he replied that he actually needed the money for his mum that she was sick and that I should send it to his friend in Nigeria. I went on to collect the details of that 'his friend' but couldn't do anything about it. My intention was to find a way of getting the police to arrest him.

Anyways, immediately I sent this my friend a mail and he replied that I wasn't the first person that about three of his friends had either called or mailed him too asking him if he was the one. Infact one of our mutual friends in Nigeria had almost paid in 20,000naira into the account the guy gave her. Luckily for her she was on facebook that day and was asking me if I heard what happened to this friend of ours (apparently he had told her the jamo story too) and I warned her not to pay the money as the guy's a 419er. She said if I had not warned her, she was going to pay it the next day.

Now Im not sure if anyone fell for the prank but this thief used my firend's facebook ID for over a week. My friend had to open another one afresh and warn most of his friends.

Its sad that these people have decided to spoil the name Nigeria and thus Nigerians. It also sad that government is doing nothing except rebranding which isn't the way forward. However, I am not surprised, the biggest 419ers are in Government.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by justwise(m): 7:26pm On Oct 20, 2009
@proudly9ja

Yes that happened to me last month, i got an email from fb telling me that my a/c has been hacked that i should change my password which i did but non of my friends recieved any dodgy email. i also changed my email address for fb.

I quickly changed all my online passwords.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Smi1(m): 7:41pm On Oct 20, 2009
Anyway I can never agree that nigerians are the only one involve in this internet 419 prank they are some other countries like russia, indians and they are mainly hackers and computer gurus so i see no reason why they keeps calling nigeria whenever an evil act occure.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by wasobia(m): 7:44pm On Oct 20, 2009
This is fresh!!! October 15, 2009

http://cbs2.com/video/?id=116776@kcbs.dayport.com

I was really disturbed, i just hope CNN will not pick this up and use it against my dear country.
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by Nobody: 7:47pm On Oct 20, 2009
This criminals will never change until nemesis wil catch up with them
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by DISTINCT89(m): 7:48pm On Oct 20, 2009
It's a pity we find ourselves in such a time as this; Nigeria is sucha corupt place but I still strongly beleive that there are few Nigerians that are trustworthy and sincere. I saw what happened on facebook about the missouri woman that was duped by some Nigerian Scammer. Anyway I strongly believe that she is greedy and that is why she fell for them. Please if you are involve in Internet Scamming, desist from such act because the repercussion might fall on the next generation. IT'S SUCH A PITY,
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by proudly9ja(m): 7:50pm On Oct 20, 2009
S@mi:

Anyway I can never agree that nigerians are the only one involve in this internet 419 prank they are some other countries like russia, indians and they are mainly hackers and computer gurus so i see no reason why they keeps calling nigeria whenever an evil act occure.

I agree with you but I also think that we Nigerians must stop sitting on the fence or playing the cycle card. If we don't fight it it will affect us all. When I was in Nigeria, if I by chance find any yahoo yahoo guy sending a fraudulent mail, I used to discretely warn their would be preys not to send money or respond. I opened a special email ad to do this. Most of them thanked me a lot. Some had already lost money which I couldn't do anything about and funny enough, some told me to my face that I was lying and they prolly kept sending money but at least I had done my part.

If you know any, Im not saying you should report him/her to police of efcc but at least, warn the preys and lets be our own watchdogs!
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by fashbabe: 7:51pm On Oct 20, 2009
@ wasobia

THIS PIECE IS HEART-BREAKING
Re: 419ers Take Over Facebook by phuckNL: 8:07pm On Oct 20, 2009
zuuby:

ladi02:

We are always so fast to condemn Nigeria, how sure are we they are Nigerians, It could as well be some other fraudsters,

S@mi:

When will you people stop living in denial. 99% of the time, the money involved is wired to Nigeria. Unless all those other nationals live in Nigeria, you guys need to shut the phuck up. Nigerians are the ones committing these crimes. E.N.D

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Swiftband Gives You Unlimited Internet With Swift 4G/LTE / Help!the Sound From My Laptop Is Distorted. / How Do You Play Swf On Windows 10?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.