Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,497 members, 7,781,492 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:28 PM

Nigerians Taking Over Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Taking Over Africa (6514 Views)

Nigerians Taking Loans From Boko Haram Thanks To The Fg's Failure - Reno Omokri / President Jonathan Disrespected My Office By Taking Over Stadium - Amaechi / Earth Hour - Uniting People To Protect Our Planet: Are Nigerians Taking Part? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Taking Over Africa by Liedetect: 7:58pm On Oct 18, 2009
An interesting perspective makes a change from the constant self criticism of Nigerians

Nairobi (Kenya) - East Africa offers a vantage point for observing one of the great surprises of the continent: Nigeria, till now famous for its conmen, is becoming an African and world economic superpower right under our eyes.

http://www.afrika.no/Detailed/18122.html
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by radiovibe: 9:03pm On Oct 18, 2009
interesting piece.
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by Nobody: 11:10pm On Oct 18, 2009
While some Nigerians are hustlers and can be loud and in your face, underlying that is a self-confidence rare in Africa, and an abundance of traits necessary for success. When South African criminal gangs were roasting immigrants over bonfires, the only group that did something about it was the Nigerians.

Near Witwatersrand University, as the mobs approached a residential area populated by Nigerians, the West Africans didn’t hide or run. They emerged with AK47s and told the South Africans that they had every right to be in South Africa, because they fed, housed, educated and gave critical diplomatic support to the ANC and other anti-apartheid groups during their struggle. The South African mobs fled.

wow!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked naija spirit.
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by Abagworo(m): 12:02am On Oct 19, 2009

Africa: Nigeria wants to share millions of dollars with you, and it’s no con (opinion)

Nairobi (Kenya) - East Africa offers a vantage point for observing one of the great surprises of the continent: Nigeria, till now famous for its conmen, is becoming an African and world economic superpower right under our eyes.

By The East African (Kenya), by Charles Onyango-Abbo* | 03.30.2009

Although it is stuck with the reputation of being the base of the world’s leading Internet scammers and cheque forgers, and home to one of the world’s most corrupt politicians and bureaucrats, Nigeria has done something no other country has managed since the colonial era. It has studied sin and learnt from it how to be competitive.

Nigerian companies are busy snapping up insurance businesses in East Africa, are into banking, and most notably, in Kenya recently, Nigeria’s Silverbird acquired Nu Metro. Formerly a South African franchise, Nu Metro is East Africa’s most prestigious entertainment company. Outside the continent, especially in Europe and North America, Nigerian companies advertise more on TV than those from any other African country.

We didn’t see the Nigerians coming, because of the popular prejudice that every one them is either a former or current military dictator, a tycoon who has stolen oil money, or a fraudster. Therefore, we didn’t take them seriously.

So Nigerians could end up owning most of Africa, and we might be beating and burning them as the South Africans did with the African immigrants last year.

While some Nigerians are hustlers and can be loud and in your face, underlying that is a self-confidence rare in Africa, and an abundance of traits necessary for success. When South African criminal gangs were roasting immigrants over bonfires, the only group that did something about it was the Nigerians.

Near Witwatersrand University, as the mobs approached a residential area populated by Nigerians, the West Africans didn’t hide or run. They emerged with AK47s and told the South Africans that they had every right to be in South Africa, because they fed, housed, educated and gave critical diplomatic support to the ANC and other anti-apartheid groups during their struggle. The South African mobs fled.

In a world where Asian and Western businessmen bribe African officials and politicians left, right and centre, only the Nigerians who know how to hustle on the international stage can match them. In this way, they have been able to keep a slice of the African cake at home.

Fortune has also handed Nigeria a good hand. With a population of between 120 million and 140 million, there are more Nigerians than East Africans.
That is frequently seen as a source of instability, because there are too many poor, hungry and angry Nigerian mouths.

With its horrid cities, especially Lagos, no regular businessman who isn’t half crazy would want to set up shop there, right? Wrong.

Lagos is one of the toughest training grounds on planet Earth. If you can survive Lagos as a businessperson, there is no city in the world you can’t conquer. Small wonder, then, that the Nigerians are the most dominant group of Africans outside the continent — with the dogged Somalis hot on their heels.

Also, 140 million people can be a boon. A Kenyan, Tanzanian, or Ugandan politician who steals $10 million will most likely buy stocks on the exchange, purchase a local mansion, a flat in London, send the kids to a British university, and take a new mistress.

A Nigerian governor who steals that amount of oil money, can invest it in toothpicks or mobile phones, and by the end of two trading cycles he has sold so many, his $10 million has multiplied into $30 million. He gets on a Kenya Airways plane, lands in an East African capital, and he is the richest man in town. Warts and all, our Nigerian brothers and sisters are the stuff of champions.

* Charles Onyango-Obbo is Nation Media Group’s managing editor for convergence and new products.

Source: http://www.nationaudio.com/News/EastAfrican/Current/index.htm
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by SEFAGO(m): 3:17am On Oct 19, 2009

Man I heard about this incident from one of roommates friends last year lol. When he heard I was Nigerian (my roommates friend) he recounted the story to me.
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by Nobody: 5:54am On Oct 19, 2009
df2006:

I'd still move if I were them.

They might not be so lucky next time.
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by sjeezy8: 7:03am On Oct 19, 2009
lol lmfao dis article is funny as shit lol

Nigeria is too small for its population so its not new news.
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by SEFAGO(m): 7:15am On Oct 19, 2009
I have to say that it made me slightly happy though- i ahve always been a big proponent of Nigerians penetrating foreign markets especially when things are too difficult for us back home.

China is doing the same thing- they have developed an exquisite taste for foreign companies- they are buying out their european competition. it is the only way we can survive in this ruff and tumble world dominated by western  globalization. If we can buyout the kenyans, that is a start, then we can later move on to bigger things
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by Nobody: 7:22am On Oct 19, 2009
Why is the writer glorifying thieves who are investing their money wisely?
There shouldnt be any form of glory in crime.

As for those Nigerians who have worked their way up; I say more power to your elbows!
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by OmoAlex: 8:53am On Oct 19, 2009
That what i'm talking about. To all Naija Hater's, you had better join us cos we are here to stay grin grin grin

@ Post
Liedetect:

An interesting perspective makes a change from the constant self criticism of Nigerians

Do you seriously think we could have gotten where we are today if we all sat still and congratulated the corrupt government on their snail paced work?
Naija is a very harsh and aware enviroment, if you dont perform, you dont get any love. If you dont give us light to run our factories, we ship them outside, we yab you until you come to you senses while we are still making cool money.
so dont talk about self criticism as if it is such an evil thing. That is how we brought down the millitary, that is how we stoped Obasanjo's 3rd term, that is how we got a law mandating doctors to treat gunshot victims, and that is how we are going to secure our freedom from this tyranny.
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by PapaBrowne(m): 9:25am On Oct 19, 2009
Nice article!! And so true!
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by PeeDaVinci: 10:00am On Oct 19, 2009
nigerians are revered as the chinese of africa- we are all over, doing both legit and illegit, inasmuch as we are making the money. so, it is both a good and a sad story. A somali i met once told me that he wont be suprised if nigerians are the sponsors of the their piracy problem - a claim i strong dis-prove to him. the question is why do we travel this much , simply put, home is not conducive for our business
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by Bennyboy11: 10:14am On Oct 19, 2009
It would be nice to see Nigerians taking over Nigeria
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 19, 2009
Quite awesome,,?
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by Nobody: 12:35pm On Oct 19, 2009
I was impressed by dat piece.But must we acquire fortune thru d back door
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by AjanleKoko: 2:22pm On Oct 19, 2009
Nice piece. Because that is the way it is.
We are hustlers, plain and simple, and we have the guts to pull off any type of business deal, scam, or heist.

I don't know why we seem to think Western businessmen conduct business like the Pope, in white cassocks, sprinkling holy water on the pounds/Euros/dollars. That's the image they like to paint of themselves, and gullible Africans believe them.

If you travel within Africa, you will be shocked at how developed Nigeria is, in terms of infrastructure (yes!) and commerce.
Those countries have 24 hours power supply, but some of them have capitals that look like Ado-Ekiti, and their banks are usually only Barclays, Standard Chartered, and what have you.
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by Bennyboy11: 2:47pm On Oct 19, 2009
AjanleKoko:

Nice piece. Because that is the way it is.
We are hustlers, plain and simple, and we have the guts to pull off any type of business deal, scam, or heist.

I don't know why we seem to think Western businessmen conduct business like the Pope, in white cassocks, sprinkling holy water on the pounds/Euros/dollars. That's the image they like to paint of themselves, and gullible Africans believe them.

If you travel within Africa, you will be shocked at how developed Nigeria is, in terms of infrastructure (yes!) and commerce.
Those countries have 24 hours power supply, but some of them have capitals that look like Ado-Ekiti, and their banks are usually only Barclays, Standard Chartered, and what have you.

Yeah but electricity is quite basic and essential though. Achieving bigger things before the basics is a bit like wearing your underwear over your trousers, or building a house without a foundation.

Agression for the sake of aggression sometimes means you stand out amongst your peers, but is it worth it if the same aggression hinders nation building which is partly the case for Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by AjanleKoko: 2:52pm On Oct 19, 2009
Bennyboy11:

Yeah but electricity is quite basic and essential though. Achieving bigger things before the basics is a bit like wearing your underwear over your trousers, or building a house without a foundation.

Agression for the sake of aggression sometimes means you stand out amongst your peers, but is it worth it if the same aggression hinders nation building which is partly the case for Nigeria.

Two things.
Number one, these African nations haven't achieved anything, not even electricity.
Many of these nations are being supplied by some regional power, like SA and Angola. And they are scarcely industrialised, so their power requirements are miniscule.

Secondly, you notice the article doesn't talk about Nigeria the nation. It talks about Nigerians.
I'm sure you agree that those are two different things entirely. Not that I don't want Nigeria to be a united and developed nation. I just believe those things will work out with time. But I'd rather be Nigerian anyways.
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by ikeyman00(m): 3:07pm On Oct 19, 2009
@@@@@

i think more nigerians should rise up

africa need to be secured!!

and the only people that can secure the black race are the nigerians

[size=34pt]so nigerians stand up[/size]

now when this superman sat here and tried to talk to those looters, baffoon and shits,nlers etc u think this is a joke

i did say this before that nigeria need to be secured and guranteed by investing across the borders of africa back then in 2007; now they are listening

we still have a lots of war ahead to fight; this is our country weather it is being created by god or 419 oyibo; we are here to stay and will continue to fight till things are fixed up. the chinese and russia did so to keep away the west!! Do not be fooled by the word 419 globalisation

as for Tpia u will die winching; nigerians cannot do without the i[b]gbo spirit[/b] u just read the way brother stood up when them zulu were coming
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by Nobody: 3:22pm On Oct 19, 2009
Interesting piece.
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by Bennyboy11: 4:51pm On Oct 19, 2009
AjanleKoko:

Two things.
Number one, these African nations haven't achieved anything, not even electricity.
Many of these nations are being supplied by some regional power, like SA and Angola. And they are scarcely industrialised, so their power requirements are miniscule.

Secondly, you notice the article doesn't talk about Nigeria the nation. It talks about Nigerians.
I'm sure you agree that those are two different things entirely. Not that I don't want Nigeria to be a united and developed nation. I just believe those things will work out with time. But I'd rather be Nigerian anyways.

I don't know which specific countries you are speaking of, but it is irrelevant anyway. If you take these supposedly failed states out of the equation then my point becomes much clearer. The bottom line is one key ingredient for industrialisation to occur is energy and this is regardless of what is happening elsewhere.

Your other point about other countries needing less electricity because they are presumably less industrialised than Nigeria is neither here nor there because if there is more economic activity in Nigeria than elsewhere like you claim then the wealth being created by these activities should make it relatively easier for Nigeria to meet it’s power commitments, which is elementary economics.

Nigeria is a country and being Nigerian a nationality, so yes it is different in that respect but not entirely, because there is an important interrelationship which makes my point valid. There is no Nigeria without Nigerians and neither can there be a Nigerian without the country Nigeria so true progress of Nigerians will always be measured by how well Nigeria is doing. Yes individual successes are commendable and mean something, but ultimately whether you like it or not there is a limit to how well Nigerians can be said to be doing without Nigeria itself improving. Africans as a people are looked down upon not because they aren’t absolutely brilliant individual Africans, it’s because as a continent, Africa is in a mess. The incredible selfishness we see is based on your premise, which is that you can distinguish yourself so much that where you are from becomes irrelevant. The earlier we realise how intertwined and indivisible the two things are the better it will be for Africa.
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by honeric01(m): 5:23pm On Oct 19, 2009
we will get there
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by kuramo: 6:07pm On Oct 19, 2009
@Bennyboy11

I have a simple advice for you. Why don't you confine your contributions to a forum like Ceddiland.com or Ghanaland.com.

You should have enough worries about the problems and difficulties facing your compatriots.

Leave Nigerians alone to discuss their issues and how to solve them.
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by blackspade(m): 6:34pm On Oct 19, 2009

Near Witwatersrand University, as the mobs approached a residential area populated by Nigerians, the West Africans didn’t hide or run. They emerged with AK47s and told the South Africans that they had every right to be in South Africa, because they fed, housed, educated and gave critical diplomatic support to the ANC and other anti-apartheid groups during their struggle
. The South African mobs fled.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by scottN(m): 6:38pm On Oct 19, 2009
df2006:

I'm sure that's why they went all out to depict Nigerians that way in District 9. I'm sorry SA but we taking over grin !
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by honeric01(m): 6:53pm On Oct 19, 2009
df2006:

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by Bennyboy11: 9:49am On Oct 20, 2009
kuramo:

@Bennyboy11

I have a simple advice for you.  Why don't you confine your contributions to a forum like Ceddiland.com or Ghanaland.com. 

You should have enough worries about the problems and difficulties facing your compatriots.

Leave Nigerians alone to discuss their issues and how to solve them.

Unfortunately my friend the internet gives unparalleled freedom especially in discussion forums, so you are just going to have to not read my posts if they bother you that much I'm afraid.
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by otokx(m): 10:58am On Oct 20, 2009
When will Nigerians take over Nigeria?
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by faoni572(m): 11:48am On Oct 20, 2009
otokx:

When will Nigerians take over Nigeria?

sjeezy8:

lol lmfao dis article is funny as shit lol

Nigeria is too small for its population so its not new news.
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by AfroCynic: 11:56am On Oct 20, 2009
I actually find this article rather insulting, look at the way dude talks about Nigerians, he might as well have called us animals,
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by nex(m): 12:21pm On Oct 20, 2009
The fate of Africans and all people of African origin rests on Nigeria.

Every other regional power hates the rise of a new regional power in any region. You may want to ask yourself the real reason they hate Iran and China so much. India will soon join the hate-list, then Brazil.

We're going where we should be and nothing, no one can stop us. We will make a home of pride for our African brothers in Europe, the Caribean and the Americas just as it was written, so shall it be done.
Re: Nigerians Taking Over Africa by asha80(m): 12:24pm On Oct 20, 2009
It is better we start at home before venturing outside.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Suggest A Ministrial Portfolio For Rotimi Amaechi / Guber Election: Ibesikpo Asutan Insists On Gov Emmanuel, PDP / Kano And Kaduna Can't Stand The East When It Comes To Development

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.