Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:16 AM

Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East (3351 Views)

Is Tinubu The Richest Politician In Africa? / Who Is The Most Powerful Female Politician In Nigeria? / You Are Respected Worldwide, Ban Ki-moon To Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by murphyibiam15(m): 4:34pm On Oct 08, 2016
Igboid:

Well, it's a complex issue. No one single answer to it. But we can all agree that it's deeply rooted on the clannish nature of an Igbo man.

His first allegiance is to his immediate family, his extended family, village, town,clan, state, and then ethnic group.
He doesn't believe anyone else can take care of his family, village, town, state, ethnic group, more than himself, his family members, his town members, his state members, his clan members, his ethnic group members, as the case may be.

It breeds a sense of suspicion in him. Only a transparent, selfless,non parochial minded individual can assuage his suspicion, to enable him place the welfare of his family, village, town, clan, ethnic group, on the hands of person's not members of those units.

Since the end of the civil war, Ndiigbo had struggled to produce a selfless, non parochial leader. Hence the reason it has become impossible to produce a pan Igbo leader.
So does it mean the Igbo may not be able to produce a politician who is so popular across south east states?? For instance an Ebonyi or Abia people have no influence from peter obi who is from anambra or anambra people have any influence from ogbonnaya/Anyim pius who are both from Ebonyi
Don't u think is a disadvantage politically
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by murphyibiam15(m): 4:43pm On Oct 08, 2016
Igboid:
Take Okpara for example, he was a respected Igbo leader across all boards.

He was selfless. For all he spent in government, Okpara lived a decent man, he was never a rich man, go to his place in Afugiri Ohuhu Umuahia, he left no loot for his children, he depended only on his salary, his driving force was only how to place the Eastern region on high pedestal, can we say the same Of any of our current politicians? They are all selfish, only looking out for the interest of themselves and their immediate family.

Azikiwe another respected Igbo leader. He built the University of Nigeria in Nsukka, modern day Igbo politician would rather build such in his immediate town or Local government. Ike Nwachukwu took ABSU to Uturu, Chimaroke took ESUT to his Agbani hometown, and was instrumental in the building of Nigerian law school in Agbani. Ngige was plotting on how to bring a campus of ANSU to his hometown Alor before he was removed. Sam Egwu built the New EBSU permanent site close to his Ezza ngbo home town.

A prominent SE senator diverted the money meant for Enugu-PH express road to constituency project fund and used it to build inner lesser used roads in his Aninri/ Awgu area. The rest of us that are not from his area should go and die.

This is the big issue. Every one only care about his area. No one looks after "our area", yet they expect to be "our leader" and not the leader of their respective mushroom units. If I leave my state and support you, knowing that you would divert any project meant for us to your own people, I can never take you as my leader, you can only become a leader of your own people.

So, this is the issue. Until a leader who would put the welfare of the next Igbo man at same level as his , the welfare of the next village same as his, who will put the welfare of the next Igbo speaking town, clan, state, region, at same level as his, there will never be an Igbo leader.
They will all remain leaders of their respective families, villages, towns, states, etc.

I think you clearly nailed it but don't you think that if one builds something somewhere else ,he will be definitely mocked and tounted that his own place is not developed just as we have in igboland when most developments where concentrated in regional quarters..I don't support it though.. If the Igbo can get out of this mess I believe the Igbo will have political change
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by rowanMama(f): 5:07pm On Oct 08, 2016
murphyibiam15:

Then is it a kind of advantage or a disadvantage to ndiigbo considering the kind of country we are in
I think disadvantage.
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by rowanMama(f): 5:10pm On Oct 08, 2016
Proudlyngwa:
'Igbo enwe eze' died long ago
Oh ok.
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by SuperS1Panther: 5:11pm On Oct 08, 2016
They are neophytes in politics. Have you ever wonder why they never had a structured political system befoe the advent of the british?
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by CHIJIOKE1314: 5:30pm On Oct 08, 2016
[s]
murphyibiam15:

Dude seems you don't get the essence of this thread...mind u this thread is not for real life frustrated follks who get orgasm from spewing hate online..

What I meant was whether is of more an adavantag or disadvantage to a region
[/s]

How would know if there is any.. Recession hunger and stomach uproar tormenting you has encroach your brain with dashing blows..

When you sit on the dwarf fence of your dilapidated yard somewhere in Osun with troubling stomach wreck yawning on SE cum Igbo issues..

Tell me, how would you know if there is anyone like your god and saviour Tinubu?

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by murphyibiam15(m): 5:31pm On Oct 08, 2016
rowanMama:

I think disadvantage.
Exactly what I see it to be too...imagine after peter obi speech most where thinking he's popular over south east without knowing that the guy is only known under the confince of his anambra or is it rochas who's not even popular in IMO or ogbonnaya on who's doesn't even wierld much power in Ebonyi. Wonder how south east will be able to produce a president going by all these
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by murphyibiam15(m): 5:34pm On Oct 08, 2016
CHIJIOKE1314:
[s][/s]

How would know if there is any.. Recession hunger and stomach uproar tormenting you has encroach your brain with dashing blows..

When you sit on the dwarf fence of your dilapidated yard somewhere in Osun with troubling stomach wreck yawning on SE cum Igbo issues..

Tell me, how would you know if there is anyone like your god and saviour Tinubu?

Lekwa on ye nke a...odika ina Apu ara..so anybody that brings about the Igbo course on nairaland is now Yoruba
Sholve your bilious hate kid...how do u sleep at night..so much frustration in you
Am a bonafide Igbo son
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by nonsobaba: 5:38pm On Oct 08, 2016
murphyibiam15:

So does it mean the Igbo may not be able to produce a politician who is so popular across south east states?? For instance an Ebonyi or Abia people have no influence from peter obi who is from anambra or anambra people have any influence from ogbonnaya/Anyim pius who are both from Ebonyi
Don't u think is a disadvantage politically
Stop making mockery of yourself by mentioning Peter Obi as a potential Igbo leader. The man is a cheap liar and a montmental fraud. He looted anambra treasury mercilessly and still has to answer for the murder of innocent Biafrans while he was governor.
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by CHIJIOKE1314: 7:00pm On Oct 08, 2016
[s]
murphyibiam15:

Lekwa on ye nke a...odika ina Apu ara..so anybody that brings about the Igbo course on nairaland is now Yoruba
Sholve your bilious hate kid...how do u sleep at night..so much frustration in you
Am a bonafide Igbo son
[/s]

I guess you are yet to hear about 'Efulefu', it's not everyone who yells, 'I'm Igbo' is actually Igbo.. Some are Efulefu'..

When the essence of ur birth has been stuffed with excess watery Ewedu and gbegiri, how then could one blame you for 'thinking' you are Igbo even when you are from IMO or Ebonyi state..

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by jayrule(m): 7:06pm On Oct 08, 2016
Igboid:
Take Okpara for example, he was a respected Igbo leader across all boards.

He was selfless. For all he spent in government, Okpara lived a decent man, he was never a rich man, go to his place in Afugiri Ohuhu Umuahia, he left no loot for his children, he depended only on his salary, his driving force was only how to place the Eastern region on high pedestal, can we say the same Of any of our current politicians? They are all selfish, only looking out for the interest of themselves and their immediate family.

Azikiwe another respected Igbo leader. He built the University of Nigeria in Nsukka, modern day Igbo politician would rather build such in his immediate town or Local government. Ike Nwachukwu took ABSU to Uturu, Chimaroke took ESUT to his Agbani hometown, and was instrumental in the building of Nigerian law school in Agbani. Ngige was plotting on how to bring a campus of ANSU to his hometown Alor before he was removed. Sam Egwu built the New EBSU permanent site close to his Ezza ngbo home town.

A prominent SE senator diverted the money meant for Enugu-PH express road to constituency project fund and used it to build inner lesser used roads in his Aninri/ Awgu area. The rest of us that are not from his area should go and die.

This is the big issue. Every one only care about his area. No one looks after "our area", yet they expect to be "our leader" and not the leader of their respective mushroom units. If I leave my state and support you, knowing that you would divert any project meant for us to your own people, I can never take you as my leader, you can only become a leader of your own people.

So, this is the issue. Until a leader who would put the welfare of the next Igbo man at same level as his , the welfare of the next village same as his, who will put the welfare of the next Igbo speaking town, clan, state, region, at same level as his, there will never be an Igbo leader.
They will all remain leaders of their respective families, villages, towns, states, etc.

Correct, the answer is "an average Igbo man is selfish"
Thank God this generation are waking up with the help of Nnamdi KANU.
We are gradually changing our orientation.
Nnamdi KANU made the saying "Igbo ewenghi eze" a refuted claim.
The only thing about us is that we are self serving.
But this is gradually changing.

I've been looking towards Pat Utomi. But some folks we know will still do what was done in the past.

One problem is ignorance. An average Igbo man is ignorant of consequences and things that are happening outside his enclave. They only see their surrounding. They Dont care about the brother outside. This need to change.
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by murphyibiam15(m): 7:10pm On Oct 08, 2016
CHIJIOKE1314:
[s][/s]

I guess you are yet to hear about 'Efulefu', it's not everyone who yells, 'I'm Igbo' is actually Igbo.. Some are Efulefu'..

When the essence of ur birth has been stuffed with excess watery Ewedu and gbegiri, how then could one blame you for 'thinking' you are Igbo even when you are from IMO or Ebonyi state..
Dude seriously you have to get a life...what's wrong in this particular thread.. Are'nt well educated to discuss issue rather than going so primitive to showcase some animalistic tendencies... Grow up man

Uwa choro obi umeala ejighi ike ESO elu uwa... Singing
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by somegirl1: 8:15pm On Oct 08, 2016
SuperS1Panther:
They are neophytes in politics. Have you ever wonder why they never had a structured political system befoe the advent of the british?

So absence of centralized authority/ power equates to lack of structure in your books?
Big words, little mind.

6 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by somegirl1: 8:21pm On Oct 08, 2016
jayrule:

I've been looking towards Pat Utomi. But some folks we know will still do what was done in the past.

One problem is ignorance. An average Igbo man is ignorant of consequences and things that are happening outside his enclave. They only see their surrounding. They Dont care about the brother outside. This need to change.

We need someone whose Igboness won't be denied in future. Peter Obi strikes me as a viable candidate.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by victorvezx(m): 8:27pm On Oct 08, 2016
jayrule:

See delusion
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by Newmanluckyman(m): 9:13pm On Oct 08, 2016
murphyibiam15:
Why is it that there is no single individual in south east who is widely respected across the state divide in south east unlike in the south west were Tinubu is a strongman and northern Nigeria were Buhari is a strong man irrespective of your state..more esp I used to think Buhari was from Kano because of the massive support and 'Said' baba chanter which in started from there...
But in south east it seems no politician is respected beyond his state.
I would have thought about ogbonnaya onu but don't really think he's popular outside Ebonyi state.
Why is this so?? And then is it an advantage or a disadvantage to the political advancement of a region??
CD lalasticlala mynd44
... Brother are you OK? In this 21st century that nations are busy building STRONG INSTITUTIONS and you're busy searching for STRONG MEN? E no go better for this recession.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by jayrule(m): 9:18pm On Oct 08, 2016
victorvezx:

See delusion

See stupidity
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by jayrule(m): 9:18pm On Oct 08, 2016
victorvezx:

See delusion

See ignorance
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by victorvezx(m): 9:21pm On Oct 08, 2016
jayrule:

See ignorance
I no blame u, I blame the brainwashing. But no worry, by the time E hit u, ur eye go clear
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by jayrule(m): 9:59pm On Oct 08, 2016
victorvezx:

I no blame u, I blame the brainwashing. But no worry, by the time E hit u, ur eye go clear

You are just as irrelevant as your comment. Zuzu pwo hia jhor!
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by jayrule(m): 10:01pm On Oct 08, 2016
somegirl1:

We need someone whose Igboness won't be denied in future. Peter Obi strikes me as a viable candidate.

I can assure you that Pat Utomi is one proud Igbo man.
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by idensko(m): 11:11pm On Oct 08, 2016
murphyibiam15:

Then how does it benefit the political advancement of the igbo within the confince of present Nigerian politics when there is no one such individual who could pull a crowd across state divide

D last time I checked
Niger state has produced more head of state than any other State

How has dat helped Niger State

Are they better off from other States
Luk @ North

Mi brother
No regions destiny is solely tied to politics.
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by holocron: 12:40am On Oct 09, 2016
Proudlyngwa:

Igbo enwe Eze
Are we talking of the institution or the ideology, then we can know how to relate.

They are the same. The ideology gives birth to the institution. The igbos are conversant with the two, but have rejected it; hence "igbo amaghï eze". An ancient adage says that the EZE title is the highest any man can obtain in igbo land, and in order to make the Eze title unattainable, tradition stipulated that one of the requirements must be that the title seeker must feed the towns he seeks to lord over in kingship, all by his own personal efforts. That is clearly impossible.

You see kings pretend to do this by first confiscating the land or other means of production of the people, then granting it to them again as if by the King's grace. Thus it appears as if the king is the source of sustenance of the people, when it is vice versa.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by Nobody: 12:54am On Oct 09, 2016
EnuguDadImoMom:
The answer is simple- Republic. It has been like that since precolonial era. We respect and don't worship individuals.
And what has that got you besides playing second fiddle ?
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by EnuguDadImoMom: 9:47am On Oct 09, 2016
kropotkin2:
And what has that got you besides playing second fiddle ?
And Yorubas haven't played second fiddle...? Yorubas have been in opposition until 2015. Igbos don't need semi god abeg.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by SundayOmeje(m): 11:58am On Oct 09, 2016
murphyibiam15:
Why is it that there is no single individual in south east who is widely respected across the state divide in south east unlike in the south west were Tinubu is a strongman and northern Nigeria were Buhari is a strong man irrespective of your state..more esp I used to think Buhari was from Kano because of the massive support and 'Said' baba chanter which in started from there...
But in south east it seems no politician is respected beyond his state.
I would have thought about ogbonnaya onu but don't really think he's popular outside Ebonyi state.
Why is this so?? And then is it an advantage or a disadvantage to the political advancement of a region??
CD lalasticlala mynd44
Oga face already made problems that befall your Nigeria and leave Igbo alone to solve ours
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by Nobody: 12:13pm On Oct 09, 2016
somegirl1:

So absence of centralized authority/ power equates to lack of structure in your books?
Big words, little mind.
So epic!!! grin grin grin ;
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by Nobody: 12:21pm On Oct 09, 2016
What the Igbo nation need in terms of leadership, in this dispensation, is someone with the right vision of uniting Igboid group and making them a strong political/economic power house. Political leadership that is focused on getting the Nigerian Presidency is a waist of energy and time.
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by lonecat: 12:28pm On Oct 09, 2016
I guess it's because they do not want one family to own the region like this

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by ak47mann(m): 12:58pm On Oct 09, 2016
lonecat:
I guess it's because they do not want one family to own the region like this
Igbos are too independent to allow such tyranny they practice in North and South West,I mean how can 35million people in one region blindly follow one man that can lead them to hell, and block any means necessary for any body to be financially independent without lying on the floor for one tyrant before he or she can become something.we are not animals like sheep that follows anything without asking questions cool

1 Like

Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by lonecat: 1:15pm On Oct 09, 2016
ak47mann:
Igbos are too independent to allow such tyranny they practice in North and South West,I mean how can 35million people in one region blindly follow one man that can lead them to hell, and block any means necessary for any body to be financially independent without lying on the floor for one tyrant before he or she can become something.we are not animals like sheep that follows anything without asking questions cool
in as much as I agree with you, I still believe that there are some persons from the SW who are not comfortable with this national leader thing because the monopoly will make the leader dictate things for selfish interest & also block the possibility of a would-have-been a better option for the people
Re: Why Is There No Singularly Respected Regional Politician In South East by WINNERMENTALITY: 1:31pm On Oct 09, 2016
I taught abt this issue.I came to conclusion that Igbos will always be dead politically until they leave this emcleff called Nigeria.

1. The idea of supreme leader is almost a taboo to Igbos
2. Even if Igbos actually get a president tommorow. It will be a doctored Igbo/Hausa/Yorouba like Rochas. Which I know his impact won't be felt by Igbos.
3. Igbo enweghi eze is an idea that can never be tarnished in Igbos mindset. That's why this Osu matter may never die. Imagine when Nwafor Orizu and other Notable leaders came together over abolishment of Osu traditionally.. After it the people requested if they are serious, the kings involved should marry Osu before others can follow... But as usual None agreed to take the first step.
4. The rate of Competition in Igbo land is too much, Nobody wants to Agree that another is greater than him even when all evidence is pointing at it. And I think its an old issue passed from forefathers cos every igbo man takes huge pride from their venture wether small or big and will never allow intimidation over it.
5. Same Enweghi Eze mentallity distracted Biafran actualization when it was first declared cos Ojukwu was not ready to listen to Elites advice. Watch Nwobodo interview on Youtube you would see Nnamdi Azikiwe was the man many allies recognize during the Biafran War. I still believe the reason why Biafran failed is because Ojukwu was bent on going to war even When elites were against it. Everybody like Azikiwe,Soyinka,chinua achebe were all for biafran before Ojukwu rush to win through war but As usual, Nobody recognize this people because everybody and not some set of people wants to make an Impact.

In conclusion is a big disadvantage to Igbos in Nigeria and a Big advantage if they finally actualize a country that would honour this indept tendencies. That's why I always believe that non-igbos like Awaibomites and Deltans will enjoy Biafra more politically because the core Igbos will be busy fighting who is greater than the other.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Learn From History... Maitaisine! / Rev King For President 2019 Poster Floods The Street (photo) / Buhari Sufferes Setback As Southwest Apc Governors Move To Pdp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.