Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,448 members, 7,808,602 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? (2368 Views)

6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal / Why Does My Honda Accord Consume More Fuel Than It's Counterparts / Does A Car Consume More Fuel When The AC Is On HI Than On LO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by Kjnwancaro: 6:29pm On Oct 08, 2016
I was wondering if the cruise control will save my fuel, read some post online and the results were really contradicting so I want the gurus in the house to shed some light on this please.
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:57am On Oct 09, 2016
Kjnwancaro:
I was wondering if the cruise control will save my fuel, read some post online and the results were really contradicting so I want the gurus in the house to shed some light on this please.

depends on the set speed.

Set to 100-120km/hr on a good smooth road fine you will get very good MPG.

But if you are mischievous like me and set it to 180km/hr on asaba-ore highway, the car will continue downshifting on the slightest obstacle to keep up with the set speed grin very bad for engine/mpg grin

4 Likes

Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by nurey(m): 8:09am On Oct 09, 2016
On my own sienna, once you activate it at 90km/h or above it, the way the fuel guage Will start descending you go frown. But makes playing temple run while driving a breeze that's why I use it.
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by Kjnwancaro: 11:25am On Oct 09, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

depends on the set speed.

Set to 100-120km/hr on a good smooth road fine you will get very good MPG.

But if you are mischievous like me and set it to 180km/hr on asaba-ore highway, the car will continue downshifting on the slightest obstacle to keep up with the set speed grin very bad for engine/mpg grin

It's weird to see that your average speed is around 180 on Nigerian road but anyhow does it mean that using the cruise control on lower speed like 40-80 will also save fuel?
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by Kjnwancaro: 11:28am On Oct 09, 2016
nurey:
On my own sienna, once you activate it at 90km/h or above it, the way the fuel guage Will start descending you go frown. But makes playing temple run while driving a breeze that's why I use it.

Are you saying it depend on they type of car? Have you tried it on a sedan?
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by nurey(m): 12:17pm On Oct 09, 2016
Kjnwancaro:

Are you saying it depend on they type of car? Have you tried it on a sedan?

Depends on the speed you activate it, I guess.
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:05pm On Oct 09, 2016
Kjnwancaro:

It's weird to see that your average speed is around 180 on Nigerian road but anyhow does it mean that using the cruise control on lower speed like 40-80 will also save fuel?

It will not activate at 40km/hr on most cars iv used. I believe it starts from 60km/hr
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by 9icetoo(m): 9:23pm On Oct 09, 2016
cruise control helps save fuel in certain conditions. it helps prevent unnecessary acceleration and deceleration. on long flats, it helps save fuel however on steep inclines, it tries to maintain the set speed by downshifting and revving the nuts out of your engine costing you fuel.
so in summary, on long flats, yes. on steep inclines, not so good.
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by gloryz24: 11:11am On Oct 11, 2016
9icetoo:
cruise control helps save fuel in certain conditions. it helps prevent unnecessary acceleration and deceleration. on long flats, it helps save fuel however on steep inclines, it tries to maintain the set speed by downshifting and revving the nuts out of your engine costing you fuel.
so in summary, on long flats, yes. on steep inclines, not so good.

exactly, it helps prevent unnecessary acceleration and deceleration saving the fuel that way but you need to turn that on when the fuel consumption is low, always in the higher gear at lower rpms (on diesel engine around 2k rpms and on petrol one around 3k rpms)
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by pannyman(m): 6:20pm On Oct 11, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

It will not activate at 40km/hr on most cars iv used. I believe it starts from 60km/hr
It can be activated at 40km/h. Done it on a Camry and a RAV4.
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:49pm On Oct 11, 2016
pannyman:

willing to bet on it?
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by 9icetoo(m): 11:38pm On Oct 11, 2016
pannyman:
40mph or 40km/hr? I was never able to activate on my Camry at any speed lower than 60km/hr.
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by pannyman(m): 4:29pm On Dec 20, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

willing to bet on it?

Oh yes!
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by pannyman(m): 4:29pm On Dec 20, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

willing to bet on it?
I use it everyday.
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by kingreign(m): 4:47pm On Dec 20, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

willing to bet on it?

My RX na 40km/h e dey activate and can't go beyond 180km/h.
When I'm cruising at 120km/h, I use it, I don't throttle, I don't brake. I use the CANCEL to decelerate, and ACC/RESUME to accelerate. Very sweet way to enjoy great MPG.

1 Like

Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by kingreign(m): 4:48pm On Dec 20, 2016
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by Shagati(m): 5:10pm On Dec 20, 2016
kingreign:

My RX na 40km/h e dey activate and can't go beyond 180km/h.
When I'm cruising at 120km/h, I use it, I don't throttle, I don't brake. I use the CANCEL to decelerate, and ACC/RESUME to accelerate. Very sweet way to enjoy great MPG.
Activates between 40 and 160km/h on the G35. Anything else....use your foot!

1 Like

Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by kingreign(m): 5:48pm On Dec 20, 2016
Shagati:

Activates between 40 and 160km/h on the G35. Anything else....use your foot!

Omor. I was in Lagos a while ago, that cruise control thingy na preparation to hit someone from behind. grin grin
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by Kjnwancaro: 6:12pm On Dec 20, 2016
kingreign:

Omor. I was in Lagos a while ago, that cruise control thingy na preparation to hit someone from behind. grin grin

As motor don turn remote car.

1 Like

Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by kingreign(m): 6:25pm On Dec 20, 2016
Anusodourinhaler. Na name be this? lipsrsealed
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by AnusOdourInhaler: 6:28pm On Dec 20, 2016
kingreign:
Anusodourinhaler. Na name be this? lipsrsealed

Brother mi.. Na name wo
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by mili3kid(m): 11:04am On Dec 21, 2016
9icetoo:

40mph or 40km/hr?
I was never able to activate on my Camry at any speed lower than 60km/hr.
was able to activate it on my toyota camry at minimum of 25. bt pls I no sure weda na mph abi na km/h... bt i kno as from 25 i can set it cuaseni use it well wen i drive earlynin the morning here in Ilorin. in the other nissan altimani think its 30. will try confirm the measurement used for clarification sake.
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by AnusOdourInhaler: 7:09pm On Dec 21, 2016
mili3kid:

was able to activate it on my toyota camry at minimum of 25. bt pls I no sure weda na mph abi na km/h... bt i kno as from 25 i can set it cuaseni use it well wen i drive earlynin the morning here in Ilorin. in the other nissan altimani think its 30. will try confirm the measurement used for clarification sake.
That 25 is miles
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by mili3kid(m): 7:52pm On Dec 21, 2016
AnusOdourInhaler:
That 25 is miles
ok....tnx for clarification

1 Like

Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by FlyboyZee: 12:19pm On Dec 22, 2016
pannyman:

For a 2010 Honda Civic, cruise can only be activated from speeds in excess of 140km/hr. The rev counter would be between 3 & 4,000 rpms...
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by Shagati(m): 12:50pm On Dec 22, 2016
FlyboyZee:

For a 2010 Honda Civic, cruise can only be activated from speeds in excess of 140km/hr. The rev counter would be between 3 & 4,000 rpms...

Ees lie! tongue
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Dec 22, 2016
FlyboyZee:

Are u related to liar Mohamed?
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by mili3kid(m): 8:10pm On Dec 22, 2016
greenhulk:

Are u related to liar Mohamed?
hehehehe as in bros... I no understand ooo 140 faaaa
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by dokyOloye: 8:48pm On Dec 23, 2016
Shagati:

Ees lie! tongue
Boss,sorry to derail.
Wanna know where I can get new power bikes in Lagos.(I don't live in Lagos)
Couldn't go d PM way,cos I can't get access to d mailbox I registered this account wt.
If it pleases U,U can reply me via ejyklord@gmail.com or 07033132861 via WhatsApp or even use d mention button.
Tnx in advance.
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by Ricmayak1: 3:48pm On Dec 24, 2016
Kjnwancaro:

Yes and no
Re: CRUISE CONTROL; Saves Or Uses More Fuel? by Ricmayak1: 3:55pm On Dec 24, 2016
Cruise control is good for not hilly roads and for speeds between 60km/hr to 100km/hr where the economy for many cars lie.

(1) (Reply)

Lexus Fans!! 2018 Lexus Rx450h Is Way Cheaper Than The 2017 Model / .... / Which SUV Should I Go For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.