Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,125 members, 7,807,402 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:08 PM

The Dangers Of Breast Ironing - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Dangers Of Breast Ironing (59122 Views)

The Dangers Of Microwave Oven In Your Home / Dangers Of Excessive Smoking, A Victim You Should See / Signs Of Breast Cancer At Early Stage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by Pinkyberry2(f): 7:55pm On Oct 09, 2016
change is here... Enjoy
Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by Spartanville(m): 7:55pm On Oct 09, 2016
Ewooo the vaseline crew wont like this grin

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by Maxvasia(m): 7:55pm On Oct 09, 2016
Lol.....seriously? Like pressing iron kinda ironing? grin grin
Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by IMASTEX: 7:55pm On Oct 09, 2016
Thanks for the info
Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by Nobody: 7:56pm On Oct 09, 2016
Damn! I hate stupidity... Why dem no iron thei men DICKson to stop them from rape. Useless people

3 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by PeachyP(f): 7:57pm On Oct 09, 2016
Gosh... this is terrible lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by KillerBeauty(f): 7:57pm On Oct 09, 2016
My grandmother breast was ironed as an adolescent. Even till old age she still has the dark scared along the length of her breast.
Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by teemy(m): 7:57pm On Oct 09, 2016
njokusboy:
As vast as I am, I am hearing this for the first time....
me too. i have always been of the opinion that womenfolk are the ones who hurt fellow women most. as in chai! i don't even what else to say.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by orlarbissy(f): 7:58pm On Oct 09, 2016
STFUareyouG0d:
That act is so barbaric. Ffs, this is 2016

like for real?
Yes oooo
Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 09, 2016
YorubaDemon:
where berlynn

I am here undecided
Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by timeman: 7:58pm On Oct 09, 2016
About two years ago i heard about this on TV but i couldn't put up with the sound of it, i had to switch off my TV. I didn't bother to read through all that is up there either. Crazy traditions abound in this world
Kiss the truth!

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by Cornerstone001: 7:59pm On Oct 09, 2016
Brest ironinh
Never heard about it before sad

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by emeka762001(m): 7:59pm On Oct 09, 2016
I have not heard this kind of thing in Congo before
Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by DAntivirus: 7:59pm On Oct 09, 2016
I guess it would make a "shiishshsh" sound!
Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by Cornerstone001: 7:59pm On Oct 09, 2016
Brest ironing
Never heard about it before sad

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by Nobody: 8:02pm On Oct 09, 2016
Na wah breast ironing... Inukwa breast ironing

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by Nobody: 8:03pm On Oct 09, 2016
I watched a documentary some years ago on something like this. The only difference is that pestles where being used to 'pound' the breasts back in. Not with enough force to crush the girls chests though.

Quite sad that women are forced to 'protect' their daughters from prowling men with this unwholesome practice. If only they knew that nowadays, the average 9 year old girl with underdeveloped features has one or two 'suitors' on her trail. No thanks to lust.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by eph12(m): 8:07pm On Oct 09, 2016
And some people here want us to return to those barbaric ages. God forbid

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by Smartademu(m): 8:08pm On Oct 09, 2016
naijainfogalery:
which one be breast ironing again?

I can imagine all this naiaraland boys going to apply for breast ironing jobs in Cameroon grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin u harsh o!

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by Rhymez(m): 8:11pm On Oct 09, 2016
Like seriously? The beauty of a woman undecided
Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by UjSizzle(f): 8:12pm On Oct 09, 2016
They're trying to protect their girls.

It's easy to look at the end result of this act, when in fact you should be looking at the underlying cause.
There are perverts out there. Sick, crazy, lunatics who simply want to defy little girls.
The mothers are desperate to 'help' their children; it might not be the right way, but it is a way. And it might not even be necessary if the judicial system and society actually helped protect the most vulnerable ones in our midst.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by goingape1: 8:12pm On Oct 09, 2016
lawrenzi:

In all my years as an African, I can say I have heard of some barbaric things some Africans do but never this (breast ironing). I know you will wonder how far true this is. Africans have always taken pride in their bodies and this is hard for me to believe, that in some part of Africa and indeed Britain, this Babaric, archaic, denounced and outrageous tradition still exist.

Breast ironing is a process of getting a girl child’s “ironed” by her mother in a bid to stop them from growing so that they won’t attract male attention. It is the brutal flattening of a young girl’s developing chest to ‘protect her from rape and sexual harassment.Those who implement the practice tend to believe it will stop a girl from being raped and that it is for her ‘safety’. It is the process using objects like large stones, hammers or a spatulas, spoon that has been heated over hot coals to compress or mutilate the breast tissue and make the adolescent look less ‘womanly’.

1. Breast ironing is practised throughout Cameroon and has also been reported across West and Central Africa, in Benin, Chad, Ivory Coast, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea-Conakry, Kenya, Togo, Nigeria and Zimbabwe. In South Africa, a similar practice is known as “breast sweeping”.

2. It has also been alleged that the practice is also carried out in some parts of Britain since there is no Law that stops parent from ironing the breast of their daughter(s). It is estimated thousands of girls in African communities in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Luton, Nottingham, Leicester, Sheffield and Leeds may be exposed to the ritual, which usually happens in the family home.

3. According to a Cameroonian doctor Flavien Ndonko he said: “Breast ironing is both physically and psychologically damaging. It can cause infections and abscesses and has been linked to breast cancer, problems with breastfeeding, and severe depression.”

4. It has also been claimed that breast ironing has not stopped teenage pregnancy in the areas where this practice is carried out, for example the case of cathy who underwent breast ironing for the first time at the age of ten, it did not however stop her from getting pregnant at the age of 16 and leaving school.

5. The united Nation estimates the perpetrators of this acts are the mothers of the victims.

My view
The truth is that in trying to protect them from assault from boys presumably, they are actually assaulting them, two wrongs cannot make a right, a lot of people have asked the question “why” are they doing this, which I see as a misplace of question because it is neither here nor there, my view is that it shouldn’t be done in the first place, parent who are found guilty of this barbaric act should be charged to court and made to face persecution.

It has been noted that while suppressing the development of the breat, it also exposes the girl child to numerous health implications such as dissymmetry of the breast, infections, cancer itching, discharge of milk and lots more.
The victims are most likely to experience cysts, severe fever, tissue damage and disappearance of one or both breasts, to make matter worse, it does not stop sexual activity, any girl child who will engage in sexual promiscuity will still do it irrespective of what her getting her breast ironed or not. It is better to give sex education to their child as early as possible.
http://www.lawrenzi.com/2016/10/08/the-dangers-of-breast-ironing/
no wonder I always see beautiful mature girls with small breasst .

so irritating

2 Likes

Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by akmath: 8:13pm On Oct 09, 2016
Why are we humans so stubborn? Must we always try to modify what God has created? From circumcision to breast ironing, I just pray they don't go pouring hot coal on innocent girls' heads in the name of preventing hair growth.

1 Like

Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by ChappyChase: 8:13pm On Oct 09, 2016
patwhizkid:
^^seriously! smiley

Breast ironing? And some people are looking for breast angry
I no fit give myself chest pain,
If the babe no get booby, No hugging!!
Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by goingape1: 8:15pm On Oct 09, 2016
Gaborone:
I watched a documentary some years ago on something like this. The only difference is that pestles where being used to 'pound' the breasts back in. Not with enough force to crush the girls chests though.

Quite sad that women are forced to 'protect' their daughters from prowling men with this unwholesome practice. If only they knew that nowadays, the average 9 year old girl with underdeveloped features has one or two 'suitors' on her trail. No thanks to lust.

Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by Ne0w1zarD: 8:16pm On Oct 09, 2016
Chosen1984:
WETIN WE NO GO HEAR FOR THIS BUHARI GOVERNED NIGERIA??

GOD PLEASE HAVE MERCY

Does this start when Buhari became the president?

Grow up!
Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by buffalowings: 8:17pm On Oct 09, 2016
Let me ask ifa if this thing happens in Nigeria

Op, ifa says you're a liar.
Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by spiffyzaki: 8:17pm On Oct 09, 2016
Hhhmmmm, soon we go start to hear nyash ironin , wen some babes dey find breast, dem no see. SMH
Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by buffalowings: 8:19pm On Oct 09, 2016
Maawo awon adojutini yii sha

Where I dey look for boobi to suck
Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 09, 2016
orlarbissy:

Yes oooo
my dear, shii happens o. Even the western world is not left out. It's on the rise in U.K.
Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by psalmson23(m): 8:19pm On Oct 09, 2016
Breast ironing is a process of getting a girl child’s “ironed” by her mother in a bid to stop them from growing so that they won’t attract male attention. It is the brutal flattening of a young girl’s developing chest to ‘protect her from rape and sexual harassment.

Which one be breast ironing again!
Re: The Dangers Of Breast Ironing by okwyee(m): 8:25pm On Oct 09, 2016
patwhizkid:
^^seriously! smiley
Breast ironing? And some people are looking for breast angry
and I'm sure most of those silly mothers doing this shit has breasts too undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Mysterious Blood-clotting Complication Is Killing Coronavirus Patients / 216 New COVID-19 Cases, 50 Discharged And 9 Deaths On May 18 (916 Tested) / Mordi Ononye Doing Coronavirus Screening At The Airport (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.