Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,454 members, 7,808,615 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? (23987 Views)

Overcoming Masturbation : Https://ellaspeaksweb./2016/12/01/the-fig / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? / The Mystery Of Fig Tree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by chinnyness122(f): 8:38am On Oct 09, 2016
Mark 11:12-14 says,
The next day, as they were coming back from Bethany, Jesus was hungry. He saw in a distance a fig tree covered with leaves, so He went to see if He could find any figs on it. But when He came to it, he found only leaves, BECAUSE IT WAS NOT THE RIGHT TIME FOR FIGS. Jesus said to the fig tree " No one shall ever eat figs from you again!" And His disciples heard Him.

then verses 20-21 says
Early the next morning, as they walked along the road, they saw the fig tree. It was dead all the way down to its root. Peter remembered what happened and said "look, Teacher, the fig tree you cursed has died!"

So my brethren, I ask, because I am not understanding. since it wasn't time for the fig to bear fruits, was He really expecting to see some figs up there? I know every fruit and.plants have their seasons. Is there suppose to be some kinda miracle fruit up there?
Pls someone should explain plz, I want to understand.

# no hating# no cursing#
Mods pls. I need answers

11 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by EyeofHorus: 8:45am On Oct 09, 2016
I think he was very upset with someone. He transferred his aggression to the tree so that people won't say he has 'anger issues'. cheesy

****This is my own opinion grin

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by emis8: 9:03am On Oct 09, 2016
bro, its all in the scripture.
if you read the whole chapter, you'll get to hear when Peter acknowledged that the tree he cursed actually died.

Why did he curse the fig tree
1. Jesus is the creator of the world
In the beginning, all trees he created rought forth fruits in and out of season, there was always fruits for Adam and Eve to eat. As the creator, he expected that the fig should have fruits wether its his season or not. The fig should have responded to His demand at least.
Remember Jesus said, everyone of us who does not bear fruit, my father will uproot, and those of us who do bear fruits, He will trim so that we bear even much fruit.

2. He cursed the tree to teach them about Faith
when Peter acknowledged that the fig tree he cursed actually died, Jesus told them to "have faith in God"
He told them that if they have the slightest level of Faith, they can speak to a mountain to move from where it is to another place and it will happen as it happened to the fig tree.

As a Christian, if you put the little faith you received (as you got born again ) to use, nothing shall be impossible to you. You can speak to anything including money and it will answer you.

Have a glorious Sunday Service.

150 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by richol(m): 9:05am On Oct 09, 2016
The tree refused to honour the presence of it's creator.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by EHMIR(m): 9:11am On Oct 09, 2016
The chararcter of jesus is a conflicing one..

I dont knw why a "harmless nd peaceful" will place an eternal curse on an innocent fig tree...i mean what sin has d fig tree commintted to ve recieved such treatment?

Is it that jesus is not what bible portrays him to be...somebody had better explain this

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by EHMIR(m): 9:12am On Oct 09, 2016
emis8:
if you read the whole chapter, you'll get to hear when Peter acknowledged that the tree he cursed actually died.

In the beginning, all trees he created rought forth fruits in and out of season, there was always fruits for Adam and Eve to eat. As the creator, he expected that the fig should have fruits wether its his season or not. The fig should have responded to His demand at least.
Remember Jesus said, everyone of us who does not bear fruit, my father will uproot, and those of us who do bear fruits, He will trim so that we bear even much fruit.

when Peter acknowledged that the fig tree he cursed actually died, Jesus told them to "have faith in God"
He told them that if they have the slightest level of Faith, they can speak to a mountain to move from where it is to another place and it will happen as it happened to the fig tree.

As a Christian, if you put the little faith you received (as you got born again ) to use, nothing shall be impossible to you. You can speak to anything including money and it will answer you.

this is a lame attempt at justifying jesus' brutal act towards d innocent tree..its of general knowlege that everything ve their own seasons,including trees.

Clearly it wasnt the season of the fig tree to bear fruits,nd jesus knw this,yet he went ahead to 'murder' the tree...

Wickedness.

Pls @ d bold,iam still waiting for ur lots to move mountains

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by pressplay411(m): 9:13am On Oct 09, 2016
Show of power maybe?

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Yannny: 10:17am On Oct 09, 2016
TO SHOW HIS DISCIPLES, WHAT THEY ARE CAPABLE OF....

6 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by simplex2: 10:17am On Oct 09, 2016
Dude was just showing off, trying to win accolades or something. Maybe he was trying to impress Mary Magdalene, who knows.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by tollytexy(m): 10:18am On Oct 09, 2016
Ask Google

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by EternalBeing: 10:19am On Oct 09, 2016
Imagine that after so much effort and time , the manufactured Computer, says "leave me, leave me I don't want to serve the purpose for which I was created!" What would u as the manufacturer do?

7 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Nobody: 10:19am On Oct 09, 2016
The answer is in the passage.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by deuce07(m): 10:19am On Oct 09, 2016
Now this is one question I would like answered, why curse a tree, something d Bible said yo father created, didn't he tell u trees have seasons. Oga o. Seems Jesus has some psychological problems. Na d fault of the tree?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by sweetcocoa(f): 10:19am On Oct 09, 2016
Someone said jesus was a psycho, do you blame him with this type of feckery displayed by jesus?undecided

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by sanandreas(m): 10:19am On Oct 09, 2016
He that does not bear fruit will wither away like the Fig tree. As Christians we must bear good fruit.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by KORLAR(m): 10:19am On Oct 09, 2016
emis8:

How's Jesus the creator of the world?

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by MrPresident1: 10:21am On Oct 09, 2016
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Sirwallace(m): 10:21am On Oct 09, 2016
emis8:

guy, the reason you gave up there are as crappy as lame. cursing an innocent tree to teach them about faith! that's lame.

secondly, God created heaven and heart not Jesus Christ.

lastly, admit he made a ridiculous mistake which was not supposed to be documented in the bible. common sense will tell all the right thinking man that what he does is inappropriate and needless.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by yomi007k(m): 10:22am On Oct 09, 2016
sweetcocoa:
Someone said jesus was a psycho, do you blame him with this type of feckery displayed by jesus?undecided

oshe.....bahd gang....lol

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by accountbalance: 10:23am On Oct 09, 2016
They won't like this

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by kyrios: 10:23am On Oct 09, 2016
emis8:

who created the world Jesus or God ? And don't tell me Jesus is God cause it's said he is the son of God

12 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by kingvectorv(m): 10:24am On Oct 09, 2016
Press 2 to browse

In okon voice

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by hopefulLandlord: 10:24am On Oct 09, 2016
So, Jesus is walking from Bethany and he’s feeling a bit peckish. He encounters a fig tree, but unfortunately it is barren as it’s the off season for figs. Annoyed, Jesus demands the fig tree bear him fruit, however the fig tree doesn’t respond (it’s a tree), so Jesus, in an act of uncharacteristic rashness, curses the fig tree to death. This story is bizarre for many reasons, but mainly for how little it means to the Jesus story and how Jesus seems to react so harshly. OK, so he’s hungry, and we all get a little cranky when hungry, but come on, the fig tree had done nothing wrong. This just seems like abuse of powers to me.

The moral of this story? I honestly can’t think of one. This story seems so unimportant and purposeless yet both Mark and Matthew mention it so it must have some importance.

The best I can think of is: don’t disobey Jesus, even if you’re an inanimate tree.

26 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by deeabdul: 10:27am On Oct 09, 2016
KORLAR:

can u imagine.... Christians calling a messenger of God the creator undecided
KORLAR:

can u imagine.... Christians calling a messenger of God the creator

8 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by mmsen: 10:27am On Oct 09, 2016
The Infancy Gospel of Thomas:
The only book that deals with young Jesus, it indicates that Jesus was a strong-willed child who one historian describes as "Dennis the Menace as God." The book reveals that at age five, Jesus may have killed a boy by pushing push him off a roof and then resurrected him. Perhaps too disturbing for inclusion in the Bible, this book seems to contain traditions, also known to the Koran.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Rick9(m): 10:28am On Oct 09, 2016
No idea oh

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by allanphash7(m): 10:29am On Oct 09, 2016
You mean jesus christ is the creator of this world ?

Im lost here
emis8:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Terye(m): 10:29am On Oct 09, 2016
Fight wee soon start here..

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Nobody: 10:31am On Oct 09, 2016
KORLAR:

The Catholic doctrine states so.Let "us"make man in our own image and likeness. Indicating many people involved in the creation story.The Catholic says that it indicates the existence of the holy Trinity I.eGod the father,God the son (Jesus) and God the holy spirit only in one God.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by 2point5: 10:31am On Oct 09, 2016
It's because the fig tree in question had not produced the "pre-figs" (somewhat edible, very young figs) that it should have borne along with the leaves. Hence, it was barren and useless. If you read about the fig tree in present day middle east, it produces pre-figs that is eaten before the eventual figs start to come!!

13 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by donhils: 10:32am On Oct 09, 2016
Jesus didn't curse the tree per say. He just said what he said in passing and He wasn't looking at it when they were coming back the next day. You didn't say Jesus's response after Peter reminded him that the tree had died. He said have faith in God.
What Jesus tried to teach His disciples was that if you have faith, whatever you say shall come to pass because the bible says the power of life and death is in the tongue.
In conclusion, He wasn't showing off; He demonstrated His faith in God.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Should Pastors Have Bouncers/Bodyguards? / 4 Members Electrocuted In Celestial Church Of Christ In Osun, Two Die / Before Indulging In That Sexual Intercourse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.