Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,630 members, 7,801,822 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware (3012 Views)

Please Help Me Out On Vmware Work Station 10 / Activating Wordpress Plugins On Your Localhost On Ubuntu / Fix Error: Exceeds The Upload Maximum Size For This Site In Wordpress (ubuntu) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Vicben(m): 5:54pm On Oct 09, 2016
Good day house, I've been trying to run Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS 64bits on VMware workstation but it keep returning an error message that...
"This virtual machine is configured for 64bits guest operating systems. However, 64bits operation is not possible
Has anyone come across this or know what could possibly be the cause or solution?

PS: I read th link attached on t error message but it didnt solve th issue.
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Nobody: 8:11pm On Oct 09, 2016
why not use a bootable flash drive cheesy
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Vicben(m): 10:40pm On Oct 09, 2016
Averted:
why not use a bootable flash drive cheesy
I did that with a flash drive but as it is with the bootable drive, I can't make changes or installations and have them there after restarting my machine. The reason I want it there is so I can play around with it for a long while before deciding on what next to do.
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Nobody: 11:28pm On Oct 09, 2016
Vicben:

I did that with a flash drive but as it is with the bootable drive, I can't make changes or installations and have them there after restarting my machine. The reason I want it there is so I can play around with it for a long while before deciding on what next to do.
partition the drive and create a persistence on it
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by ultmatmus(m): 4:52pm On Oct 10, 2016
I think your pc doesn't support 64bit os rather find the 32bit version of it
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Nobody: 6:17pm On Oct 10, 2016
What's your system 64bits or 32bits angry
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by seunthomas: 7:05pm On Oct 10, 2016
Most likely you are running a 32 bit version of vmware or your operating system is 32 bit. What operating system are you running and what is the architecture of your vmware(x86 or x64)?
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Vicben(m): 4:34am On Oct 11, 2016
Pcguru1, seunthomas, ultmastmis,
My system is 64bits OS. HP pro book 640 G1, Intel correct i5. 4GRAM, cpu 2.7.....GHz.

I later tried installing it [the Ubuntu] alongside with Windows and it fried my drive completely. My windows is gone! Everything gone!

But meanwhile, I created a partition for it before doing the installation but somehow, things didn't go on well so it erased my drive and even the Ubuntu is still not booting from the drive. I'm only booting it now from the flash while I try partition and file recovery with TestDisk but I hasn't been successful
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by ultmatmus(m): 8:32am On Oct 11, 2016
Vicben:
My system is 64bits OS. HP pro book 640 G1, Intel correct i5. 4GRAM, cpu 2.7.....GHz.

I later tried installing it [the Ubuntu] alongside with Windows and it fried my drive completely. My windows is gone! Everything gone!

But meanwhile, I created a partition for it before doing the installation but somehow, things didn't go on well so it erased my drive and even the Ubuntu is still not booting from the drive. I'm only booting it now from the flash while I try partition and file recovery with TestDisk but I hasn't been successful
donsegmond i think he's trying to install side by side wth windows and vicben should have seeked advice before trying to do stuffs like that maybe you erased your drive when installing
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Vicben(m): 4:40pm On Oct 11, 2016
ultmatmus:

donsegmond i think he's trying to install side by side wth windows and vicben should have seeked advice before trying to do stuffs like that maybe you erased your drive when installing
What I wanted to do was to install Ubuntu alongside windows. I even created a drive before trying it out but it someone erased my entire drive.
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by ultmatmus(m): 6:24pm On Oct 11, 2016
Vicben:

What I wanted to do was to install Ubuntu alongside windows. I even created a drive before trying it out but it someone erased my entire drive.
There's nothing you can do to it .you've erased your hard drive?
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Whytelyon(m): 9:00pm On Oct 11, 2016
You would have saved yourself all this trouble by using Oracle Virtual box. Most times VMWARE is usually a pain in the neck or rather get a remote server and deploy your linux on it (customised)

1 Like

Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Toughluv(m): 11:51am On Oct 19, 2016
@All, I have the same issue too,
It was the USB i was using , tried about 3 different USB, after putting my ubuntu( the right version downloaded from their site ), its still not booting -of which i had already set my sys to boot form USB. i later found out that some USB do act funny sometimes , so i left usb for DVD

After putting the ubuntu on the dvd , i booted the system from dvd, and " sonic boom" , it worked ! i have been playing around with it for a while now, ubuntu is cool mehn... Although i still have my windows. I have OVM ( oracle virtual machine ) installed on my sys, so i guess after a while i will decided to install it preferably on the ovm , cos of issues associated with running it side by side with windows, as the case of vicben.
So i will suggest vicben should download ovm and put the ubuntu there.
hope it works !
cheers

1 Like

Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Toughluv(m): 11:54am On Oct 19, 2016
@whytelon: can i possibly put kali on the OVM alongside ubuntu as well , without encountering any issues , i guess its gone work tho!
but just wanna ask from a more experienced fellow.
Thanks in anticipation
cheers
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Whytelyon(m): 12:02pm On Oct 19, 2016
Toughluv:
@whytelon: can i possibly put kali on the OVM alongside ubuntu as well , without encountering any issues , i guess its gone work tho!
but just wanna ask from a more experienced fellow.
Thanks in anticipation
cheers

Yes you can, you just need to create virtual RAM, virtual hard disk space and you good to go.
But why would you wonna strain your Pc? Deploying just one OS for Linux is Ok, either Kali or Ubuntu is enough. On ma OVM I have just kali.

Load as ISO instead of USB (most recommended)

Most of this USB troubles at times deal with system architecture, and you have to setup with several extra configuration possibly with Samba (interactive client for communication between windows and linux). There are few configurations you have to also set aright before you can get it to work also,and since you intermediate with this I decided to recommend virtual box as it's used in most industry standard environment at present day.
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Toughluv(m): 6:21pm On Oct 19, 2016
@whytelon Thanks, kali is cool too, will see to it too
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by ultmatmus(m): 8:41pm On Oct 19, 2016
Whytelyon:

Yes you can, you just need to create virtual RAM, virtual hard disk space and you good to go.
But why would you wonna strain your Pc? Deploying just one OS for Linux is Ok, either Kali or Ubuntu is enough. On ma OVM I have just kali.

Load as ISO instead of USB (most recommended)

Most of this USB troubles at times deal with system architecture, and you have to setup with several extra configuration possibly with Samba (interactive client for communication between windows and linux). There are few configurations you have to also set aright before you can get it to work also,and since you intermediate with this I decided to recommend virtual box as it's used in most industry standard environment at present day.
whats the difference between OVM and Virtualbox
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Whytelyon(m): 9:08pm On Oct 19, 2016
ultmatmus:

whats the difference between OVM and Virtualbox

It's the same thing. No difference. smiley
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by ultmatmus(m): 10:37pm On Oct 19, 2016
Whytelyon:

It's the same thing. No difference. smiley
i just dey surprised ni o bro
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Whytelyon(m): 10:43pm On Oct 19, 2016
ultmatmus:

i just dey surprised ni o bro

What's surprising you?
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by ultmatmus(m): 12:33am On Oct 20, 2016
Whytelyon:

What's surprising you?
when you used ovm and virtual box on different context ni oo .but never mind
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by AKBliv010(m): 4:37am On Oct 20, 2016
Vicben:
Good day house, I've been trying to run Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS 64bits on VMware workstation but it keep returning an error message that...
"This virtual machine is configured for 64bits guest operating systems. However, 64bits operation is not possible
Has anyone come across this or know what could possibly be the cause or solution?

PS: I read th link attached on t error message but it didnt solve th issue.

You need to enable VT-x in the BIOS, sometimes called Hyper-V

1 Like

Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Toughluv(m): 11:45am On Oct 23, 2016
@whytelon: I was trying to install ubuntu on my OVM, but I keep getting an error message saying " This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU, unable to boot - pls make sure a kernel appropriate for you CPU "
I guess my OVM is not x86-64 CPU, don know what's wrong!
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by AKBliv010(m): 12:05pm On Oct 23, 2016
Toughluv:
@whytelon: I was trying to install ubuntu on my OVM, but I keep getting an error message saying " This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU, unable to boot - pls make sure a kernel appropriate for you CPU "
I guess my OVM is not x86-64 CPU, don know what's wrong!
Did you select Ubuntu(64bit) after selecting linux as your OS? I assume you are using VirtualBox
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Toughluv(m): 3:23pm On Oct 23, 2016
@AKBLIV010 , I didn't at first, my bad!! but I just did that now, and I got a place where I have the following :

installation type :
"this computer currently has no detected OS, what would u like to do?

1 erase disk and install ubuntu
warning : This will delete all ur programme, pics, music and other files in all OS

2 encrypt d new ubuntu installation for security

3 use LVM with d new ubuntu installation

4 something else .........bla bla bla.......

so I was wondering which which the option should I choose
Thank a billion!!!!!

cheers
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by AKBliv010(m): 3:28pm On Oct 23, 2016
Toughluv:
@AKBLIV010 , I didn't at first, my bad!! but I just did that now, and I got a place where I have the following :

installation type :
"this computer currently has no detected OS, what would u like to do?

1 erase disk and install ubuntu
warning : This will delete all ur programme, pics, music and other files in all OS

If you are running it in a virtual environment then go for option 1. VirtualBox will allocate some of your HDD space to install it. Is this the case? Please make sure o, I won't be held responsible if you loose all your data. As a precaution, perform a backup of your current system.
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Nobody: 8:14pm On Oct 23, 2016
Vicben:

Am sorry i didn't get this notification, did you select erase everything and install Ubuntu, it's possible it just got rid of your bootloader, try booting from the flash drive and see if your windows partition still exisits, if it does, all you need is to install a Grubloader that will enable you pick which OS to boot that's how i run both Ubuntu and Windows 10 together. what's the situation now ?
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Vicben(m): 4:36pm On Oct 25, 2016
pcguru1:

Am sorry i didn't get this notification, did you select erase everything and install Ubuntu, it's possible it just got rid of your bootloader, try booting from the flash drive and see if your windows partition still exisits, if it does, all you need is to install a Grubloader that will enable you pick which OS to boot that's how i run both Ubuntu and Windows 10 together. what's the situation now ?
The situation got worse at a time and I had to do a fresh installation of windows and booted the Ubuntu on the Windows again with much caution and precision...good thing is I got it right this time after reading the contributions of fellow geeks here and on other online forums.

I dual booted the Ubuntu last night after playing with it again on the USB stick and I can tell you that the experience is awesome. Linux is a great OS and is much stable, faster and sleeker than windows 7(my POV).

What's your experience with Ubuntu?
Hope I'm not the only one falling in love with Ubuntu.
One thing I'm looking for in Ubuntu now is a nice graphic software cos that's what I work on mostly.

Does anyone have some awesome apps to can recommend? Not only graphics though
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Nobody: 8:52am On Oct 26, 2016
Vicben:

The situation got worse at a time and I had to do a fresh installation of windows and booted the Ubuntu on the Windows again with much caution and precision...good thing is I got it right this time after reading the contributions of fellow geeks here and on other online forums.

I dual booted the Ubuntu last night after playing with it again on the USB stick and I can tell you that the experience is awesome. Linux is a great OS and is much stable, faster and sleeker than windows 7(my POV).

What's your experience with Ubuntu?
Hope I'm not the only one falling in love with Ubuntu.
One thing I'm looking for in Ubuntu now is a nice graphic software cos that's what I work on mostly.

Does anyone have some awesome apps to can recommend? Not only graphics though

when you say graphics, do you mean Image Editing or 3D Graphics or are you refering to a desktop with an enhanced graphics
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Vicben(m): 8:54am On Oct 26, 2016
pcguru1:

when you say graphics, do you mean Image Editing or 3D Graphics or are you refering to a desktop with an enhanced graphics
The former i mean, image editing, 3D and vector
Re: Help: Issues Running Ubuntu On Vmware by Nobody: 9:03am On Oct 26, 2016
Vicben:
The former i mean, image editing, 3D and vector

Image Editing - (Rasterization based ) GIMP but Photoshop is still superior in my opinion
Vector - Inkscape
3D Graphics - Blender (I used this for 3D on web and this sh.it is small, but mehn has tons and tons of features imagine a 40bm competiting with 1GB app on windows.)

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hot!!! How To Learn To Code Using Your Android Device / The Eight Levels Of Programmers / Who Can Help With Writing An Encryption Algorithm? How Soon Can One Learn How To

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.