Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,988 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified (8424 Views)

The Underqualified Myth Exposed: Our Graduates Are More Than Equipped / These 10 Things On Your CV Could Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired / These 10 Things On Your CV COULD Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by donogaga(m): 10:16pm On Oct 09, 2016
Lacking experience doesn't always mean you shouldn't apply. (Shutterstock)
When looking for a new job, many of us often feel like we’ll never be able to meet any of job listing requirements. Sometimes it feels like companies are looking for some magical creature that probably doesn’t exist on this planet. However, there are possibilities for slightly underqualified applicants. If you are confident that you are capable of doing a job and the three features below apply to you, you should take your chances.

1. You’ve got relevant experience.
When you’re a recent graduate and the company is looking for someone with 10 years of experience, you better pass this one up. But if you are reasonably close to the amount of years of experience the job listing suggests, and if this experience is very relevant to the skills required, you do have a good chance of being invited for an interview.
The relevance of what you have done in the past is way more important than the number of years you’ve had to get well-versed in it. Inviting you for the first round of interviews is a chance the company may take to make sure they don’t miss out on someone amazing.

2. You are eager to learn.
If your application is lacking some years of experience, try to compensate for it in other domains. Show the hiring company that you are someone who is, and always has been, eager to learn. Even if you already have a job, continuous learning benefits you either way. Proving that you are able to keep learning on moments when it’s not required, will convince the recruiter that you will also be able to learn when it’s needed. If you don’t have the ideal skillset yet, but you have a long track record of taking extra courses, they will be tempted to make that phone call. Plus, the company will have the opportunity to teach you their ways without you being influenced too much by previous experiences.

3. You have loads of potential.
Make sure the hiring company is convinced that you will be a great addition to their business. Not by bragging about your many adventures during your time off, but by being a good candidate who is almost qualified enough, very eager to learn and has obvious potential. Make them feel like they could benefit from hiring you and it would be a mistake to pass up on you.
The perfect candidate often doesn’t exist, and if you are an awesome person who perfectly fits in the company they might adjust the role they had in mind for their new employee, provide extra support to get you to where they want you to be or even create a completely new role where you would be very valuable for the firm.
Not having enough experience for a job doesn't have to be a problem...

http://m.careers24.com.ng/career-advice/job-hunting/how-to-improve-your-hireablity-even-if-youre-underqualified-20160928-2

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by david22uu(m): 6:40am On Oct 10, 2016
J
Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by nmreports: 6:41am On Oct 10, 2016
Good one on a More Monday morning.
Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by donem: 6:42am On Oct 10, 2016
Few but Nice points, besides who would be hired would be hired.
Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by Yian1(m): 6:44am On Oct 10, 2016
you can't b good at what you are not trained for sha

1 Like

Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by dovie002(m): 6:46am On Oct 10, 2016
Nice piece
Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by OgidiOlu3(m): 6:48am On Oct 10, 2016
We see interview tips and every other job tips everyday on Nairaland. Fact is that once you have experience, you'll always have the upper hand during an interview. Nigerian system doesn't encourage fresh graduates. Fresh graduates better start applying for graduate internships to gain relevant experience.

4 Likes

Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by simplemach(m): 6:49am On Oct 10, 2016
OP u forgot to add the 4th and most important, attach a letter of recommendation from a top "OGA" that you know and the job is yours. This is Nigeria!!!

2 Likes

Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by Nobody: 6:54am On Oct 10, 2016
Na wa o undecided
Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by EternalBeing: 7:00am On Oct 10, 2016
That's true. Thanks
Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by adren(m): 7:07am On Oct 10, 2016
i am a graduate engineer.. i am currently looking for a graduate trainee position at any production, construction, ICT or managememt firm around owerri and portharcout..or onitsha and aba..

please help. quote me..
my DM isn't accesible
Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by Yannny: 7:14am On Oct 10, 2016
Great!
Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by Nobody: 7:14am On Oct 10, 2016
Sometimes, I just checkout my CV n say 2 myself " nna ehh, u might even be 2 good to be hired sef" only 4 employer 2 say "don't worry young graduate, u're still a beginner"

Nwanne, just checkout dix lubbish
Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by Johnkennie(m): 7:15am On Oct 10, 2016
Okay! Tanx grin
Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by awakeuche(m): 7:20am On Oct 10, 2016
You didnt mention what area you specialized in, but i suggest you learn some CAD programs and get really good at them, in this way you become useful to any potential employer..
Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by ayusco85(m): 7:27am On Oct 10, 2016
OgidiOlu3:
We see interview tips and every other job tips everyday on Nairaland. Fact is that once you have experience, you'll always have the upper hand during an interview. Nigerian system doesn't encourage fresh graduates. Fresh graduates better start applying for graduate internships to gain relevant experience.

This should be the best post I ve read so far in any job search related thread on nairaland.
Since work experience is what recruiters hammer on the most, and fresh graduates lack that the most, I think they should listen to your advice on how to get it.

Nice post

1 Like

Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by dfrost: 8:00am On Oct 10, 2016
ayusco85:

This should be the best post I ve read so far in any job search related thread on nairaland.
Since work experience is what recruiters hammer on the most, and fresh graduates lack that the most, I think they should listen to your advice on how to get it.

Nice post

Nice one OgidiOlu3 and ayusco85. I advised someone lately to go any company that suits his field and ask to work for free in order to garner experience. If he performs well, they can even employ him. On the other hand, he will not be wasting time sitting at home. Thumbs up guys!

1 Like

Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by AdisaOwala: 8:03am On Oct 10, 2016
donogaga:

The relevance of what you have done in the past is way more important than the number of years you’ve had to get well-versed in it. Inviting you for the first round of interviews is a chance the company may take to make sure they don’t miss out on someone amazing.

Aside the fact that this is so misleading, it also doesn't make any sense.
Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by agrovick(m): 8:21am On Oct 10, 2016
ayusco85:

Nice post

Yea it's a nice post but what makes you think fresh graduates don't listen to the advice going by the last few lines of your post? I for one have been consistent in applying for internship positions all to no avail and I am pretty sure there is a sizable number of others doing what I'm doing.

1 Like

Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by Nobody: 9:09am On Oct 10, 2016
Sometimes u have to be a Lil dishonest, the only problem is defending the honesty.
Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by munagi: 9:33am On Oct 10, 2016
Very helpful. Thanks OP
Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by ayusco85(m): 10:23am On Oct 10, 2016
dfrost:

Nice one OgidiOlu3 and ayusco85. I advised someone lately to go any company that suits his field and ask to work for free in order to garner experience. If he performs well, they can even employ him. On the other hand, he will not be wasting time sitting at home. Thumbs up guys!

Yea. That's true. Pls all fresh graduates listen to this advice. Work for free and gain experience

1 Like

Re: How To Improve Your Hireablity, Even If You’re Underqualified by alfredfrddy(m): 9:01pm On Oct 10, 2016
agrovick:

Yea it's a nice post but what makes you think fresh graduates don't listen to the advice going by the last few lines of your post? I for one have been consistent in applying for internship positions all to no avail and I am pretty sure there is a sizable number of others doing what I'm doing.
May God bless you real good. The earlier graduates start thinking of acquiring a skill to better their lives rather than keep wasting the monies they don't have to attends countless number of fruitless interviews, the better. They told us to go to school to get jobs and now it's a hard nut to crack to get jobs, most especially those of our disciplines. Even if you offer to work for free, they will still give you reasons why they can't give you a chance to. Don't ask me how I got to know about this, cos I've tried it myself. I won't even advise anyone to try this shit with the current Nigerian economy. I'd go to an artisan and beg to work for free so as to learn for posterity's
sake. I SHM for this shame called Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

Test Invite From BDO Service / Nnpc 2011 Recruitment Update / Icsl Is Massively Recruiting Ond Holders With Upper Credit And Not More Than 21y

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.