Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:51 AM

Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split (21027 Views)

NEW MOVIE - Tales Of An Immoral Couple / End “bbnaija Now,” Its Immoral, Lagos Lawmaker Tells Lai Mohammed / Highlights From Big Brother Naija (videos + Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by valarinz: 10:59am On Oct 10, 2016
Kano (Nigeria) (AFP) -

It was just for a split second that a male singer cuddled northern Nigerian actress Rahama Sadau in a video, but for the local film industry it was a second too much.
"Rahama has been banned for life from acting," said Salisu Mohammed, the head of northern Kano's Motion Picture Practitioner's Association of Nigeria (MOPPAN) -- better known as "Kannywood" after Hollywood.
The 24-year-old is one of Kannywood's biggest stars, but MOPPAN said "her display of immorality in the music video is the latest of several indecent conducts for which she was severally warned and sanctioned."

Nigeria as a whole, combining north and south, today claims the second largest film industry in the world, generally known as "Nollywood".

It mirrors the stark contrast in the country's religious makeup, with a Christian population in the south at odds with the Muslim north.

In the south, Nollywood depicts wealthy women in their 50s courting friends of their teenage sons, while students in skimpy dress seduce their teachers. Nothing, it seems, is taboo.

The opposite is true in the north. Films produced in Kannywood, named after the major city of Kano, have the same themes of love, revenge and betrayal, but the plots must adhere to strict Islamic rules.

Rule number one? Men and woman do not touch.

- Champagne showers -

For actors and actresses from the north who are seeking to break into a wider market, this rule poses a dilemma.

"Being invited to Nollywood is a mark of distinction," says Carmen McCain, a researcher on northern Nigerian cinema.

"There's a desire to make the Kano industry well-known globally, but they always need to keep the balance, to not forget they have a very conservative society," she said.

"The question is: are Kannywood actors allowed to work in Nollywood in order to become bigger stars?"
In the music video "I love you", Sadau plays the role of a fruit and vegetable vendor who catches the singer's eye as he strolls through the market.

The clip shows none of the sexy moves seen in videos by southern Nigerian stars, where woman "twerk" in bikinis or take champagne showers.
In contrast, "I love you" sees singer Classiq ever so briefly touching Sadau's shoulder and gently touching fingers as they walk side by side on train tracks.
For MOPPAN, this was too much. It was time to make an example of Sadau. And the move to ban the actress was welcomed in Kano.

- 'Inevitable' touching -
"We are happy that the filmmakers have realised the truth of what we have been insisting they do, to sanitise the film business which promotes immoral values among our youth," said Salisu Idris, a Muslim cleric in Kano.
"We hope this is the beginning of a new page in the film industry and we hope the sanction on this actress will be a deterrent to others."

In August, the powerful lobby of Muslim clerics stopped a plan to build a $10 million film village outside Kano, saying it would promote immorality and undermine Islamic values.

Sadau on Wednesday posted a long letter of apology to her 53,000 Twitter followers, but said "innocuous touching with other people in my line of work is inevitable".

The controversy has come just days before Sadau is set to appear in a Nollywood-produced TV series "Sons of the Caliphate", a drama "set in a sovereign state of northern Nigeria" depicting the lives of three rich men.

Promising royal intrigue, political conspiracy, corruption, betrayal and passion, the series aims to depict the immoral side of the north.

For all their bans, the clerics won't be able to stop Sadau from appearing in this show made in Nigeria's south.

Source: https://www.yahoo.com/news/ban-immoral-nigerian-star-highlights-north-south-split-052257348.html

I never thought I'd ever do this but, calling on lalasticlala pls get this to FrontPage, it's an interesting news, tnx

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by DICKtator: 12:44pm On Oct 10, 2016
Hahahaha bloody hypocrites

It was actually in the North that I realised people can sniff rubber and be high af

Too many cokeboys users and underground "tear-tear" people there

Trying to form sanctimonious attitude when we all know it is a facade!!!

I watched the music video and i had to watch it again and again because I couldn't find the immoral act there

Or was there a second video?

grin grin grin grin

130 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by Nobody: 12:45pm On Oct 10, 2016
Old News.Nigerians are split on everything from geographical location, language to religion and even the social media platform you visit. Even popular blogs like LIB and SDK have followers that do not like themselves.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by omenkaGrazing: 12:46pm On Oct 10, 2016
She sould leave almajiris alone and relocate to the south. cheesy cheesy

33 Likes

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by mokoshalb(m): 12:47pm On Oct 10, 2016
shocked
Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by recievesense: 12:48pm On Oct 10, 2016
Hypocrites everywhere. Rumours have it that the babe refused sexual advances from the MOPPAN guy and hence the revenge.

Why didn't they ban Halima Abubakar

Make them go block the new series na.

20 Likes

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by Pavore9: 12:49pm On Oct 10, 2016
"We are happy that the filmmakers have realised the truth of what we have been insisting they do, to sanitise the film business which promotes immoral values among our youth," said Salisu Idris, a Muslim cleric in Kano.....We hope this is the beginning of a new page in the film industry and we hope the sanction on this actress will be a deterrent to others.".....This same dimmed minded cleric sees nothing wrong in giving out an 11 year old as a bride! angry angry angry

72 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by Gabashlock(m): 12:49pm On Oct 10, 2016
Dis is rubbish

5 Likes

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by katchagboro(m): 12:49pm On Oct 10, 2016
Copy and paste. I hate dis lalasticlala
Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by hahn(m): 12:50pm On Oct 10, 2016
Example of when we give our brains out on free loan to foreign religion

2 Likes

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by Bubu4Sea: 12:50pm On Oct 10, 2016
In the South we dont go after under aged gals
[img]http://1.bp..com/-C0pkpMEV7nc/VIbb3Xo-rnI/AAAAAAABXwQ/gMbxuetUCh8/s1600/IMG_20141209_0095241.jpg[/img]

We dont in the South go to Egypt and come back with a 13yr old

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2010/05/2010518858453672.html?utm=from_old_mobile

No wonder the North has been pushing for marrying of underaged gals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdZGYOWpXOE

This North na wahala all round

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by Pavore9: 12:51pm On Oct 10, 2016
1stCitizen:
Old News.Nigerians are split on everything from geographical location, language to religion and even the social media platform you visit. Even popular blogs like LIB and SDK have followers that do not like themselves.

LIB and SDK followers are like Man U and Man city fans!

3 Likes

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by phranklyn92(m): 12:51pm On Oct 10, 2016
JUST imagine... They put up this farcade of holiness and later commit atrocities that beats human comprehension...SMH angry

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by DrPrickson: 12:53pm On Oct 10, 2016
I can't no longer comprehend these people. Thank God they haven't stoned her to death

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by donshaddow(m): 12:53pm On Oct 10, 2016
If I say Bu-harry is a son of a bastard e go be like say I dey swear for am.

10 Likes

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by fortunechy(m): 12:54pm On Oct 10, 2016
northerners n dia awkward way of reasoning

10 Likes

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by majekre: 12:54pm On Oct 10, 2016
undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by heniford2: 12:54pm On Oct 10, 2016
muslim and their strict religion hanging sin, looking sin, kissing the will cut ur mouth if u finally beep na die b ur own dats why d cn't develop.fact!!

4 Likes

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by ALAYORMII: 12:55pm On Oct 10, 2016
There's so much hypocrisy in the North

There are a lot of secondary school students abusing drugs, belonging to a secret cult, etc in this same North that they are forming over religious

10 Likes

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by Nobody: 12:55pm On Oct 10, 2016
Hypocrisy is the order of the day up North.

A little digression:

Same North where a man and a woman will engage in fornication and the woman will be punished while the man walks free.

Everyone up there is calling for the female actor head, while the guy walks free.

I think most men up North are insecure and would stop at nothing and see their women as underdogs that should be subdued at all cost. I am sure the day they allow their women equal right as men ( or at least the choice too make their own decision and be their own person), I can bet that most men there will die alone and wretched

Back to topic:

Are they actually keeping a balance/being conservative or they are busy pedaling lies about their society. More like showing people what they think their society looks like. We are talking of society where:

1. oppression of women and girls are order of the day

2. child marriage is order of the day (I am sure such does not feature in any of their movies. They seems to fail to understand that the movies industry is also a way of exposing the evils in our society)

3. people procreate without any thoughts about the well-being of the both the child-bride and the numerous offspring

4. where alhaji sodomize alamajiri with reckless abandon
etc
Of course there is a huge divide between the South and the North in terms of ideology and these ideological differences is a manifestation of both the economical and social progress the South has made since the attainment of independence, while the North wallows in the dark. The difference in ideology could be see in the court victory in the SE in which girls now have the legal right to share in their parents inheritances ( if not for Nollywood most people never knew that in some place girls are not allowed to partake in their father will).

Yes there are movies in our movie industry that should be censored for particular age group but the truth remains that movies should be seen as a vehicle to expose societal ills (though a times some of these ills are stretched and some outdated practices are being portrayed as current issues rather than historical ) when that is the case.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by hucienda: 12:56pm On Oct 10, 2016
Wetin konsain south for di mata? The south own na to siddon watch the entertainment show of hypocrisy between her and folks up north.

2 Likes

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by Evergreen4(m): 12:57pm On Oct 10, 2016
Kanny wood ko, canoe wood ni.

People never watch nollywood movies finish na kanny wood.

That's why "abokii's" are always backward in the scheme of things in Nigeria

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by TheRealestGuy(m): 12:57pm On Oct 10, 2016
Truth in its most blatant form!

We are too divided in this entity and this is as obvious as the Sun on a sunny day.

From the north having its own laws (sharia) to having its own film industry (kannywood), to having its own bank (Jaiz) and even their own political party (former ANPP), it is very clear that the north does not see itself as one with the entity Nigeria.

Only naive and stupid people down south of the same entity scream one Nigeria not knowing that they are being used to achieve the sinister aims of the north (I haven't mentioned any tribe but they know themselves and watch how the stupid ones among them aforementioned come for my head).

This is the unapologetic truth and it has to be said even if it's bitter!

One Nigeria my foot...

14 Likes

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by MXrep: 12:57pm On Oct 10, 2016
Even foreigners know how divided we are but we are here shouting "one nigeria"

10 Likes

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by teepsee(f): 12:58pm On Oct 10, 2016
I knew from the day they said they baned her, they already send her to limelight unknowingly.

Their fall just started here

5 Likes

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by Dinobi77: 12:58pm On Oct 10, 2016
I pity the northern women cos their men outv there do as they like. I am not an advocate of all these immoral videos, but pple should be allowed to make their choices in life.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by Pangea: 1:02pm On Oct 10, 2016
angry
E no go better for Lord Lugard!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ban On 'immoral' Nigerian Star Highlights North/south Split by Nobody: 1:08pm On Oct 10, 2016
Pharisees and Sadducees

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Daniel Appyday Poised To Win Norway's Got Talent 2017! / Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? / Doyin Evicted From Big Brother Naija House & Moved To Level 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.