Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,920 members, 7,802,988 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:44 AM

UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty (17215 Views)

"Do Not Revenge Herdsmen Attacks" - Buhari Appeals To Victims Of Attacks / Abolish States, Adopt 6 Geo-political Zones As Federating Units – Atiku / Reps Move To Abolish State, LGA Joint Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by DONSMITH123(m): 2:34pm On Oct 10, 2016
The UK on Monday appealed to Nigeria to abolish the death penalty, saying that capital punishment cheapened human life.
The UK made the appeal in a statement issued by the British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Paul Arkwright, on the 2016 World Day against the Death Penalty.

Arkwright said that the British Government believed the death penalty had no place in the modern world and its use undermined human dignity.

According to him, there is no conclusive evidence of its deterrent value, adding that any miscarriage of justice leading to its imposition is irreversible and irreparable.

He explained that the past two decades had seen a significant rise in the number of countries that had abolished capital punishment.

“I am concerned therefore that Nigeria, a model for democracy in Africa, still retains the death penalty in its laws.

“In 2013 Nigeria carried out four executions, the first since 2006.

“At the time of the execution, all four individuals still had appeals to halt their executions, a violation of international law and I believe Nigerian law too.”

He said while no death sentence had been implemented since 2013, Nigeria had more than 1,000 prisoners on death row, the highest number of death sentences in Africa.

“In 2015, Nigeria recorded 171 death sentences. This year too, there have been death sentences handed down by Nigerian courts,” he said.

http://dailypost.ng/2016/10/10/uk-appeals-nigeria-abolish-death-penalty/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Emycord: 2:39pm On Oct 10, 2016
Not until landlord gets same

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by bettercreature(m): 3:38pm On Oct 10, 2016
tollytexy:

End time teeth
grin grin grin grin grin Lol Anders Behring Breivik of norway 2011 attack comes to my mind,He masarcre 84 youths and all he got was to spend 30years in jail,he even came back later to sue the government that they didnt allow him access to his family
I still believe in death penalty

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by tollytexy(m): 3:38pm On Oct 10, 2016
Let them start with Indonesia & Malaysia first..

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by tollytexy(m): 3:39pm On Oct 10, 2016
bettercreature:
grin grin grin grin grin
End time teeth
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by EXLOVER(m): 3:39pm On Oct 10, 2016
Sometimes the way this UK people are thinking ehn is letting me hate them o, how can they say Nigeria should not play penalty, for what nah? So we should be playing only freekick abi, and the England boys wil be playing our boys rough anyhow inside the eighteen yard box. I'm just tired of this uk people, first they colonise us, na they want to colonise our football.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Nobody: 3:39pm On Oct 10, 2016
Is any UK citizen on death row?

Who dem epp sef

“In 2013 Nigeria carried out four executions, the first since 2006." I am aware that one is from Edo State shocked

But who this request go favour sef? Judiciary, criminals, journalists, opposition parties or who sef

4 Likes

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by yeyeboi(m): 3:40pm On Oct 10, 2016
Death penalty should also be implemented for our corrupt politicians fighting corruption one sided angry sad

They are the major criminals we have in Nigeria.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by majekre: 3:40pm On Oct 10, 2016
so that criminals will be committing crime with confidence abi

8 Likes

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Tallesty1(m): 3:40pm On Oct 10, 2016
Makes sense
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Cregon: 3:41pm On Oct 10, 2016
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Lilimax(f): 3:42pm On Oct 10, 2016
Do we practice death penalty in Nigeria? May be on paper...
Make them go Malaysia or Indonesia to see wetin be death penalty embarassed

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Yian1(m): 3:42pm On Oct 10, 2016
even, if they will abolish it, that should be after they have hanged Dasuki n co.

2 Likes

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by FunkyMetahuman: 3:42pm On Oct 10, 2016
They should first appeal to their brother (america)

5 Likes

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 10, 2016
Corruption should be death sentence too angry
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by tollytexy(m): 3:42pm On Oct 10, 2016
bettercreature:
grin grin grin grin grin Lol Anders Behring Breivik comes to my mind,He masacre 84 youth and all he got was to spend 30years in jail
That is oyinbo for u.. awon werey

2 Likes

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Millz404(m): 3:42pm On Oct 10, 2016
H
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 10, 2016
listen to my songs at http://my.notjustok.com/p/oracle/

A blind guy visited his choir mistress at home and found her bathing. since he was blind, she let him in. After bathing, she came out naked with legs spread and shaving in front of him and tried to make a conversation by asking him, brother John, what brings you here? Is everything OK at home? He replied, yes o, very fine. I came to tell you that I have done the eye surgery and I can see very clearly now.grin

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by landinfo: 3:42pm On Oct 10, 2016
I thought the 9ja govt has never adopted the death penalty

But that aside, Bubu can't do shi.t do any media-acclaimed & tried corrupt xcept Intimidation
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by LordCenturion(m): 3:43pm On Oct 10, 2016
Wetin concerned them
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by tollytexy(m): 3:43pm On Oct 10, 2016
Millz404:
H
H for HausaMan
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by RosaConsidine: 3:43pm On Oct 10, 2016
Our death sentences of late are largely cosmetic. Most of them end up being commuted to life. Still i think the death sentence is archaic and should have no place in modern law and justice.

Except in certain cases of crimes against humanity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by LordaGuru: 3:43pm On Oct 10, 2016
After Brexit brouhaha, they realy need to thing of how to increase their population.
In another news, somewhere in Nigerian Space:
OBASANJO, BABANGIDA & Buhari were in a plane.
1. OBASANJO said: I can throw N1000 note out & make someone happy.
2. BABANGIDA said: I can throw two N500 note
out & make 2 people happy.
3. Buhari said: I can throw five N200 notes & make 5 people happy.
4. The PILLOT heard them & said to himself: "IDIOTS" I can throw 3 of U down & make over 150 million people happy!!!
So who do U support among this four?
A = OBASANJO
B = BABANGIDA
C = Buhari
D = PILOT
VOTE NOW! ✊
Like for A or B or C, Share for D.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by bettercreature(m): 3:43pm On Oct 10, 2016
tollytexy:

That is oyinbo for u.. awon werey
I think they must tell USA to abolish it rather than Nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by ekenetheorg(m): 3:44pm On Oct 10, 2016
Nigeria should scrap death penalty because the wrong people get the death sentence most of the time while the people who stole trillions and billions walk free on the street and are celebrated as looters in command, Federal reserve Bank of Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Lilimax(f): 3:44pm On Oct 10, 2016
Yian1:
even, if they will abolish it, that should be after they have hanged Dasuki n co.
For your dream abi? embarassed
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by watchindelta(m): 3:45pm On Oct 10, 2016
what of who kil person e.g omila meaning good boiz
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by mmsen: 3:45pm On Oct 10, 2016
tollytexy:
Let them start with Indonesia & Malaysia first..

Or their favorite trading partners - China, USA and Saudi Arabia.

1 Like

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Winners72(m): 3:45pm On Oct 10, 2016
Even the boko haram members? This man doesn't know what he's saying oo. What if they kill all your family members in a gruesome way in your presence? Even the bible says he that live by sword shall die by the sword. Go and tell another country, not Nigerians that a particular group of people are only interested in human blood.

1 Like

Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by Pavore9: 3:45pm On Oct 10, 2016
While many Nigerians are clamouring for it to be served corrupt politicians and kidnappers!
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by kidman96(m): 3:47pm On Oct 10, 2016
Lol... If they see the state of Nigerian Prisons they will beg the Nigerian Government to increase the number of death penalties every year. Because a life sentence in a Nigerian Prison is worse than the death penalty.
Re: UK Appeals To Nigeria To Abolish Death Penalty by bayelsaowei(m): 3:47pm On Oct 10, 2016
yeyeboi:
Death penalty should also be implemented for our corrupt politicians fighting corruption one sided angry sad

They are the major criminals we have in Nigeria.
your blood dey hot...you want make them hang buhari too??.. grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

R-APC: Wammako, Bindow, Aliero, Goje, Others Fate Uncertain / Nigeria: Fear Grips Benin Residents Over Upsurge In Crime Rate / Zamfara : Buhari Wants To Declare State Of Emergency To Stop Election - Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.