Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,562 members, 7,809,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? (14182 Views)

Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad For Postgraduate Program In Europe Or America / FUTO Confirms Names Of 3 Dead Students, Says Lady Is Student Of NEKEDE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:40am On Oct 11, 2016
Kenyanstar:
KENYAN CASE STUDY ON EDUCATION

The Kenyan government efforts in securing loans for students right from primary level to university level is a role model case study of how the education system should be subsidized for the masses.
1. Right from primary education the government provides free primary education in all public schools to all students.
2. All primary school going children in class 1 in all primary schools are provided with free laptops as a requirement by the government with 2019 as the deadline for all public and private schools to have laptops for each student.
3. All public secondary school going children have half of their fees paid by government as subsidies.
4. Public school who attain automatic university entry points have their university fee subsidized by 2/3rds and still qualify for HELB(Higher education loans board) loan.
5. If a university student qualifies for a university loan they enjoy fully catered fee payment right from Admision fee, exam, housing/hostel facilities provided by all public institutions and also free meals catered for.
6. HELB loans can be accessed by anyone through their online platform and are speedily attended to without bias.
7. The government provides CDF( Constituency development fund) for all the 360 constituencies in the country which is led by the local member of parliament where an amount is set aside for needy students as free bursary up from secondary to university level.

Damn! I'm sure Naija can't get this done in the next 50 years. We are so far behind, there's very little hope.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 11, 2016
sobmos:
It's simple.. Nigeria has no database and central information on each of its citizens. No death and birth records. The government do not have the central database of every student in the country. If they make the mistake of giving out student loans, trust Nigerians, they will disappear with the money and there's no record to trace the defaulters and no means of recouping the loan back. So until the government work on a central database to store records of all Nigerians, student loan will not happen in Nigeria.
This right here is the one and only reason. Couple it with majority of Nigerians fearing a 666/New world order possibility they would conciously frustrate any attempt to create such database.

In future I'm planning on doing this as sort of a giving back to the community exercise. Would start with my hometown first. Unfortunately I can't say how it would go but would publicize the exercise heavily and force the government to adopt it if successful.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by Yorobastard(m): 8:42am On Oct 11, 2016
sobmos:
It's simple.. Nigeria has no database and central information on each of its citizens. No death and birth records. The government do not have the central database of every student in the country. If they make the mistake of giving out student loans, trust Nigerians, they will disappear with the money and there's no record to trace the defaulters and no means of recouping the loan back. So until the government work on a central database to store records of all Nigerians, student loan will not happen in Nigeria.

Exactly my bro....it's the same as the N5000 stipend or whatever they call it.....if the country want's to make a progress it must have information of all its citizens both old, young and disabled
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by hahn(m): 9:05am On Oct 11, 2016
Pavore9:

It is really sad because if it was well executed, it would have eased things up for many.

Myself and wifey did ours in 2013. We still haven't gotten any text nor received them undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by Bollinger(m): 9:24am On Oct 11, 2016
anonimi:

Educate/Enlighten them!
Educate/Enlighten them more!!
Educate/Enlighten them even more!!!

If you a Nigerian can learn, why can't other Nigerians learn if you educate and enlighten them well enough

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855782_imaginationwallpaper10708146_jpeg8ab611433e315906637ee14df7014eeb

Lol. You can't force a horse to drink water. You can only make fun of it until it dies of thirst. Nigerians can never learn. It doesn't take half a century to learn something. They love to suffer. How else can you explain doing the same st.upid things over and over again.
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by uzolexis(f): 9:37am On Oct 11, 2016
Elthugnificent:
Giving the student outright scholarship should rather be encourage that student loan. Student loan are normally obtainable in countries with vibrant economy, which automatically translate to a high employment prospect after graduation. Where person wan see work for 9ja to pay back the loan. The fact is that the rate of defaulter will be very high.

In conclusion, such scheme should will not be viable in nigeria and as such should not be encourage.

You hardly find student in nigeria tertiary institution on scholarships or been awarded grant for research purpose, I think that should be encourage.

kenya gives student loans and until recently our economy was more vibrant than theirs.
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by uzolexis(f): 9:42am On Oct 11, 2016
1stCitizen:
This is the kind of question asked after watching too many foreign movies.

How would the loan be repaid?

Countries in Africa give student loans. You don't have to look too far to see countries where it is obtainable yet we call ourselves giant of Africa...lol

1 Like

Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by kunlegboye(m): 9:49am On Oct 11, 2016
Even ASUU self never agitated for this!...ASUU has always been concerned about their own benefits...like gov like!..like ASUU!!
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by uzolexis(f): 9:51am On Oct 11, 2016
talktonase:
ordinary bank of industry loan and agric loans Nigerians abscond with the cash without paying back.Is it our tertiary institution that breeds corruption in the minds of young people that you expect FG to venture into such.you must be dreaming!

If we have proper system of identification, nobody can abscond with any loan cos you will be basically handicapped to carry out any activity relating to Nigeria and no matter where you are in the world you can be traced based on your ID. This is what kenya does and they have been doing well so far.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 11, 2016
uzolexis:

Countries in Africa give student loans. You don't have to look too far to see countries where it is obtainable yet we call ourselves giant of Africa...lol

Are those countries foreign ? Or you want to call them local countries. grin or they are part of Nigeria abi

The problem with us Nigerians is that we want to replicate the good, the bad and ugly we see in foreign countries without taking our socio-economic indices into consideration.

I repeat, how will the loans be repaid.
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by fpeter(f): 10:11am On Oct 11, 2016
No guarantee that after graduation, the student would secure a job to repay the loan given.
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by uzolexis(f): 10:20am On Oct 11, 2016
1stCitizen:

Are those countries foreign ? Or you want to call them local countries. grin or they are part of Nigeria abi

The problem with us Nigerians is that we want to replicate the good, the bad and ugly we see in foreign countries without taking our socio-economic indices into consideration.

I repeat, how will the loans be repaid.

I know they are foreign but I want to bring the concept closer home that's why I used countries in the same continent as us. Also how is giving students loan bad If we have very efficient ID system, the loans will definatly be repaid. These loans are usually interest free and if you have not paid after the due repayment time, fines start accumulating monthly. Here is perfect example of Kenya

Kenyanstar:
KENYAN CASE STUDY ON EDUCATION

The Kenyan government efforts in securing loans for students right from primary level to university level is a role model case study of how the education system should be subsidized for the masses.
1. Right from primary education the government provides free primary education in all public schools to all students.
2. All primary school going children in class 1 in all primary schools are provided with free laptops as a requirement by the government with 2019 as the deadline for all public and private schools to have laptops for each student.
3. All public secondary school going children have half of their fees paid by government as subsidies.
4. Public school who attain automatic university entry points have their university fee subsidized by 2/3rds and still qualify for HELB(Higher education loans board) loan.
5. If a university student qualifies for a university loan they enjoy fully catered fee payment right from Admision fee, exam, housing/hostel facilities provided by all public institutions and also free meals catered for.
6. HELB loans can be accessed by anyone through their online platform and are speedily attended to without bias.
7. The government provides CDF( Constituency development fund) for all the 360 constituencies in the country which is led by the local member of parliament where an amount is set aside for needy students as free bursary up from secondary to university level.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by Elthugnificent(m): 10:26am On Oct 11, 2016
uzolexis:

kenya gives student loans and until recently our economy was more vibrant than theirs.
That's interesting to know, but at least you should know that Nigeria economy is only good papers, graph and chart but with nothing to show for it. The issue of the Africa biggest economy some years back (2013 to be precise) was as a result of the rebasing of the economy which is recommended to be done within a five years interval which was not the case with Nigeria, the last time Nigeria rebase its economy before 2013 was in 1990; so do the math. Everything has always been there economy wise and standard of living wise, the only that changes was the suppose Nigeria GDP.
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by uzolexis(f): 10:42am On Oct 11, 2016
Elthugnificent:
That's interesting to know, but at least you should know that Nigeria economy is only good papers, graph and chart but with nothing to show for it. The issue of the Africa biggest economy some years back (2013 to be precise) was as a result of the rebasing of the economy which is recommended to be done within a five years interval which was not the case with Nigeria, the last time Nigeria rebase its economy before 2013 was in 1990; so do the math. Everything has always been there economy wise and standard of living wise, the only that changes was the suppose Nigeria GDP.

I get your point totally but i'm just saying the economy does not have to be super vibrant for govt to implement student loans, the will just has to be there. It is a policy that can easily be enacted if there is political will to do it.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by greatermax77(m): 11:17am On Oct 11, 2016
If the give you loan, you go to school & come & compete with their children abi?
Do you think they do not know education loan?
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by Elthugnificent(m): 11:24am On Oct 11, 2016
uzolexis:

I get your point totally but i'm just saying the economy does not have to be super vibrant for govt to implement student loans, the will just has to be there. It is a policy that can easily be enacted if there is political will to do it.
That makes sense. But do you think it is feasible in Nigeria?
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 11, 2016
uzolexis:

I know they are foreign but I want to bring the concept closer home that's why I used countries in the same continent as us. Also how is giving students loan bad If we have very efficient ID system, the loans will definatly be repaid. These loans are usually interest free and if you have not paid after the due repayment time, fines start accumulating monthly. Here is perfect example of Kenya

There you go again. Without noting the socio-economic indices of Nigeria, you try to mirror the Kenyan situation with an illusion that it will work in Nigeria.

This same method was adopted by CBN to waste huge funds to launch mobile money in Nigeria because M-Pesa in Kenya was a global example of mobile money success without investigating why it became huge in Kenya. The result...Failure!

You have still not answered how the loans will be repaid. In risk management, the borrower’s ability to repay a loan is of paramount importance. let me list a few problems in Nigeria which cover the socio-economic indices I have always reminded you about.

1. Problematic credit sanctioning
2. Loan quality has to be tied to employment statistics(The pics you see from venues of employment tests proves that you will only set out to create many bad debts)
3.Institutionalized dishonesty(Let's not even go there)
4.Non existence of proper monitoring systems after disbursement.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by Fabulosdave01: 12:00pm On Oct 11, 2016
Op, there was actually a student loan body. My dad told me about it. Corruption finished it.
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by uzolexis(f): 12:40pm On Oct 11, 2016
1stCitizen:

There you go again. Without noting the socio-economic indices of Nigeria, you try to mirror the Kenyan situation with an illusion that it will work in Nigeria.

This same method was adopted by CBN to waste huge funds to launch mobile money in Nigeria because M-Pesa in Kenya was a global example of mobile money success without investigating why it became huge in Kenya. The result...Failure!

You have still not answered how the loans will be repaid. In risk management, the borrower’s ability to repay a loan is of paramount importance. let me list a few problems in Nigeria which cover the socio-economic indices I have always reminded you about.

1. Problematic credit sanctioning
2. Loan quality has to be tied to employment statistics(The pics you see from venues of employment tests proves that you will only set out to create many bad debts)
3.Institutionalized dishonesty(Let's not even go there)
4.Non existence of proper monitoring systems after disbursement.

of course economic conditions are different for every country. Even when the EU wants to adopt a union wide policy there are twerks here and there to make it feasible for individual countries.
To your points:
1) Problematic credit sanctioning: strenghten institutions
3) You think there is no institutionalised dishonesty in Kenya? check where they are placed on the corruption index
2)you think their level of unemployment is really low, check that as well.
4) That is why I said we should have a very efficient ID system, that way you, if you have not started paying up after the due date, you will basically be handicapped as regards any activity that has to do with Nigeria cos the 1st thing that will always be verified is your loan repayment status, you can't register a car, buy a land etc if you have not started repaying your loan.
I'm not saying we have to mirror their system in Nigeria, I'm saying we can make it work in Nigeria and modify it to suit our economic environment. It is very feasible if well planned and properly managed.
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by uzolexis(f): 12:42pm On Oct 11, 2016
Elthugnificent:
That makes sense. But do you think it is feasible in Nigeria?

It is if properly planned and well managed. Other countries that do it don't have 2 heads. We have to plan it to suit our own economy.
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by falopey: 1:07pm On Oct 11, 2016
Goddys:
I sat in deep thought with many things running through my mind trying to grapple the reason why things and state of affairs are 'specially' harder in Nigeria.

One of the things my mind was ruminating on was the absence of Student loan in Nigeria financial institutions to help students who are financially handicapped. I have read on the internet, magazines and other publications where it was highlighted on the availability of such loans to students in other climes.

It is glaring that Nigeria government is not doing enough when it comes to its responsibility towards education sector and this can be seen in the light of the above position. A society that does not value education is no better than a barbaric society of neanderthal era.Thus the need for revolution in Nigeria education sector.

Imagine a situation whereby all the graduates roaming the streets with no job once obtained student loans. Na gobe o. With no job in the country. Na to say loan don turn bad loan be that. If they don't have job to service the loans.
In the US, the loan provider rests assured that you will definitely get a job after school to pay back. But not in Nigeria.
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by bsideboii(m): 1:15pm On Oct 11, 2016
Because the system is dysfunctional.They are not sure of the kind of education they are funding, from the lecturers to the lectures.. down to finding a job.Nothing seems to be in place.
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 11, 2016
uzolexis:

of course economic conditions are different for every country. Even when the EU wants to adopt a union wide policy there are twerks here and there to make it feasible for individual countries.
To your points:
1) Problematic credit sanctioning: strenghten institutions
3) You think there is no institutionalised dishonesty in Kenya? check where they are placed on the corruption index
2)you think their level of unemployment is really low, check that as well.
4) That is why I said we should have a very efficient ID system, that way you, if you have not started paying up after the due date, you will basically be handicapped as regards any activity that has to do with Nigeria cos the 1st thing that will always be verified is your loan repayment status, you can't register a car, buy a land etc if you have not started repaying your loan.
I'm not saying we have to mirror their system in Nigeria, I'm saying we can make it work in Nigeria and modify it to suit our economic environment. It is very feasible if well planned and properly managed.

Lol! Buhari is trying to start the long process of strengthening one of such institutions in Nigeria and everyone is screaming blue murder. How many decades did it take to get to this point. Think of it and imagine how long it will take to get out of it. Lets be realistic my brother.

I appreciate your "can do" attitude and the fact that you are not proposing a carbon copy of the East African model. You have mentioned some similarity in problems like unemployment too.I think what you fail to ask is if it has been successful in East Africa. The answer is no. Do some research you will get my drift.
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by uzolexis(f): 1:24pm On Oct 11, 2016
1stCitizen:

Lol! Buhari is trying to start the long process of strengthening one of such institutions in Nigeria and everyone is screaming blue murder. How many decades did it take to get to this point. Think of it and imagine how long it will take to get out of it. Lets be realistic my brother.

I appreciate your "can do" attitude and the fact that you are not proposing a carbon copy of the East African model. You have mentioned some similarity in problems like unemployment too.I think what you fail to ask is if it has been successful in East Africa. The answer is no. Do some research you will get my drift.

It is successful in kenya, of course not 100% but over 60% success rate which is commendable considering the economic situation and strength of their institutions and this is not hearsay, I live and work in Nairobi currently so its something I have researched into. You have a point though, it is feasible in Nigeria but will be very difficult due to all the challenges you mentioned and more.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Oct 11, 2016
uzolexis:

It is successful in kenya, of course not 100% but over 60% success rate which is commendable considering the economic situation and strength of their institutions and this is not hearsay, I live and work in Nairobi currently so its something I have researched into. You have a point though, it is feasible in Nigeria but will be very difficult due to all the challenges you mentioned and more.

I beg to disagree with you. The default rate in Kenya is so high that the Government started blocking marriage certificates until loans are cleared since July this year. Who needs a marriage certificate in Nigeria if you can get away with owing as low as N100,000

Even in the UK where I live, tjhe government has declared that unpaid student loans are a time bomb. Mind you, it is very easy to recover loans here
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by uzolexis(f): 2:00pm On Oct 11, 2016
1stCitizen:

I beg to disagree with you. The default rate in Kenya is so high that the Government started blocking marriage certificates until loans are cleared since July this year. Who needs a marriage certificate in Nigeria if you can get away with owing as low as N100,000

Even in the UK where I live, tjhe government has declared that unpaid student loans are a time bomb. Mind you, it is very easy to recover loans here

Like I said my info is not hear say. This is something I have been very interested in since I moved to Nairobi, I have read and researched and asked a lot of my kenyan friends and colleagues about it. It is almost impossible to do anything in this country if you have not at started paying back your student loans cos you have to use your ID for almost everything and this ID always verifies if you are defaulting on your student loan or not. Read the link below:

http://mpashonews..co.ke/2016/09/student-loan-default-rates-decline-but.html

1 Like

Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by lordthree(m): 2:03pm On Oct 11, 2016
Goddys:
I sat in deep thought with many things running through my mind trying to grapple the reason why things and state of affairs are 'specially' harder in Nigeria.

One of the things my mind was ruminating on was the absence of Student loan in Nigeria financial institutions to help students who are financially handicapped. I have read on the internet, magazines and other publications where it was highlighted on the availability of such loans to students in other climes.

It is glaring that Nigeria government is not doing enough when it comes to its responsibility towards education sector and this can be seen in the light of the above position. A society that does not value education is no better than a barbaric society of neanderthal era.Thus the need for revolution in Nigeria education sector.

It's not everything you see abroad you should copy, do you know youths abroad end up paying off their student loans decades after graduation? If you can't afford higher education go and learn a trade it's not for everyone
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by Kenyanstar: 3:23pm On Oct 11, 2016
1stCitizen:

Where the hell do you get such idiotic rumors.... Not only does it sound silly but rather disturbing that someone like you can be so ignorant and deluded in a bid to prove a poignant and misleading impression.
1. Any Kenyan holding a valid ID and possessing a KRA pin certificate wanting to pursue higher education is entitled to HELB student loan
2. Any graduate gainfully employed is required to pay his student loan through his employer where the deductions are made from their earnings
3. Any Kenyan politician seeking a political sit is required by IEBC(Electoral body) to clear their outstanding loan to vie for any sit.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 11, 2016
Kenyanstar:

Where the hell do you get such idiotic rumors.... Not only does it sound silly but rather disturbing that someone like you can be so ignorant and deluded in a bid to prove a poignant and misleading impression.

Your intellectual superiors( Nigerians) are arguing and you are jumping in with copy and paste just to feel among. I actually wanted to ignore but the foolishness that you just exhibited with the out of context thrash below needs to be corrected.

Kenyanstar:
1. Any Kenyan holding a valid ID and possessing a KRA pin certificate wanting to pursue higher education is entitled to HELB student loan

Chai!!! grin grin grin Olodo! Who said they are not entitled to a loan? grin grin grin grin

Kenyanstar:
2. Any graduate gainfully employed is required to pay his student loan through his employer where the deductions are made from their earnings
So? how does that counter or correlate to what myself and the other gentleman are discussing. I must join squad....(ended fooling yourself)

Kenyanstar:

3. Any Kenyan politician seeking a political sit is required by IEBC(Electoral body) to clear their outstanding loan to vie for any sit.
Correct! so how does that affect my discussion with the other fella. Your type are like a rabid dog that sights a cart carrying a smelly corpse. It starts running after the cart unmindful of where the cart is headed.

You want to impress us that you know words like deluded and poignant abi. Ok take trophy...Mumu grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 11, 2016
uzolexis:

Like I said my info is not hear say. This is something I have been very interested in since I moved to Nairobi, I have read and researched and asked a lot of my kenyan friends and colleagues about it. It is almost impossible to do anything in this country if you have not at started paying back your student loans cos you have to use your ID for almost everything and this ID always verifies if you are defaulting on your student loan or not. Read the link below:

http://mpashonews..co.ke/2016/09/student-loan-default-rates-decline-but.html

Thanks for the link. I have taken my time to read through. "8.1 millions students currently in default" considering the number of students (443,783 students in 2014 and 361,379 in 2013-Lets assume 2015 and 2016 has 1M each)is quite high and does not carry any sign of success. The blog post actually reveals that default is a huge problem which is being tackled.

A reduction in default does not translate as success as default rate reduction can be attributed to less people being accessible to such loans due to more bureaucracy.

"Any school with a default rate of 30% or more for three consecutive years, or a 40% rate for one year, faces the loss of access to those federal programs" This shows that the reduction in default rate was based on data from schools with access to the program.

Finally, be wary of statistics that civil servants give you in any part of the world. I am still not convinced it is successful in Kenya. Maybe if they run it for another 20 years without scrapping it, I would buy in. One would naturally base success figures on the rate of default rather than the number of loans given which I am sure is not what you are looking at, or is it?
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Oct 11, 2016
Goddys:

It is very very obtainable.
Re: Why Is Student's Loan Not Obtainable In Nigeria? by kasson(m): 5:38pm On Oct 11, 2016
Even if it exist, the ordinary persons can not access it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Diffrence Between Waec Certificate And Statement Of Result ? / Unilorin Lecturers To Teach From Homes By 2014 - Registrar / School Of Nursing Form Now Out Register Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.