Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,378 members, 7,808,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:38 AM

Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" (25587 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Make Me A Wife / Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Nobody: 7:34am On Oct 11, 2016
BuddhaPalm:

This ITK doesn't know anything about men.

Women are the only thing we talk about.

Adichie got it wrong there. Men discuss football, money and women in no particular order.

For those calling her ungrateful, She is not ungrateful in my opinion. She's just being herself and saying it as it is.I would find it disrespectful if I was in her position and anyone says that Beyoncé gave her fame. She has been very popular, famous and self made before Beyoncé used her feminist lines in her song.

Beyoncé merely helped propagate her ideals. Beyoncé might have reached a wider audience who didn't know her or read her books same way some bookworms who don't listen to Beyoncés songs would have sampled her music because she used Adichies lines. she didn't give Adichie fame. They benefitted from each other. Imagine someone saying that Fela made Soyinka, obasanjo and Abiola famous !!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by glo3nity: 7:35am On Oct 11, 2016
Let us don't get it twisted including Chimamanda, the truth of the topic is actuallay she was beginning to be popular but the featuring line of her Novel gave her more popularity.
She should have sat down for a while to reason it! If she hasn't done a good job, their is no how it would have cut attention of such a huge personality.

Any how, anyway, she should show gratitude even though is beyond her ego.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Shym3xx: 7:35am On Oct 11, 2016
So, what made you famous cos your books are some of the most poorly written books out there? Heck, the last one looks like something a teenager would write. Achebe? Selling civil war fictional tales? Or being a purveyor of faux feminism like Amber Rose of the idiotic slutwalk fame?

Better chill out cos you're more of a hustler than a great writer, before Queen Bey pulls the plug on ya arse. No black woman survives after going to war with Beyonce lol.

Simple acknowledgement of what Beyoncé did and talking about whatever platform you had before her should suffice. Pride will end up messing up her career with those half-baked books.

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by goingape1: 7:36am On Oct 11, 2016
krak101:
Don't know why yall are shouting here. Females resent themselves talk more of things or men around them. So yall expected her to give it up to Queen B on a platter of gold Verily verily I say unto you... The moment those feminists have their way they'll start a caste system among females quote me. Bunch of deluded pricks
I'm telling you!

women are enemies of themselves.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by tanteta(m): 7:38am On Oct 11, 2016
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, take the part of her that you like/fancy and ignore the rest. You are more important to 'you' than she or anyone can ever be.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Mayflowa(m): 7:39am On Oct 11, 2016
BuddhaPalm:

This ITK doesn't know anything about men.

Women are the only thing we talk about.

Lot

I tire for her o
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Endy4all(m): 7:41am On Oct 11, 2016
goingape1:
true!

but she shouldn't preach want she don't practice.

I read some of her books, and she keep making one gender look like a monster.

Well, I'm a lover of literature. I've read all her books and apart from her latest "we all should be feminist ", no other book of her had made one's gender looks like a monster.

If you consider her books makes one gender a monster then that's her style and that's what made her who she is and not Beyonce.

She once said "Complacency is cancerous for creativity". Let's just appreciate what is ours, let's appreciate Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Oildichotomy(m): 7:42am On Oct 11, 2016
UjSizzle:
I love that she refused to allude growing popularity to Queen Bey. I mean, we knew Chimamanda of Purple Hibiscus and HOAYS already. We knew Chimamanda of the Tedtalk 'The dangers of a single story'. So why should the western world make assertions that Bey drove her into limelight when she didn't?

The best celebrities can do for each other is to 'recommend' the other's work by using it to further enhance their own work. And that's what Beyoncé did. In a sense they did something good for each other's career.

So screw all these white supremacists trying to make our home girl feel like she was nothing before the Queen grin I feel your pain. And I'm glad you refused to tolerate it.
After all Taylor Swift refused to tolerate the Kanye factor taking credit for her success tongue

You are being sarcastic yeah?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Eeroh95(m): 7:49am On Oct 11, 2016
Oildichotomy:
I think Chimamanda got it wrong here though Why did she have to express disappointment if any? And she finally alluded to the fact she had lots of interviews after the song hit the market. Isn't that contradictory already?

To be fair, I was proud of her when I heard the song and it is one of the few Beyonce songs I personally downloaded cos of the Chimamanda Factor
She would have kept quiet and let it slide cos hate it or love it Beyonce helped her career in no small measure and not the other way round.

And what is the talk about women though! Even the spelling of woman had MAN in it, what did she expect they talk about!

Feminism thrash!
she got nothing wrong... Her opinion... Opinion that doesn't suit yours sucks remember
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by benestico(m): 7:49am On Oct 11, 2016
I don't know why I just love this lady

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by buffalowings: 7:50am On Oct 11, 2016
Chai

Why must I have a crush on thus lady
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by ezeagu(m): 7:53am On Oct 11, 2016
Oildichotomy:
I think Chimamanda got it wrong here though Why did she have to express disappointment if any? And she finally alluded to the fact she had lots of interviews after the song hit the market. Isn't that contradictory already?

To be fair, I was proud of her when I heard the song and it is one of the few Beyonce songs I personally downloaded cos of the Chimamanda Factor
She would have kept quiet and let it slide cos hate it or love it Beyonce helped her career in no small measure and not the other way round.

And what is the talk about women though! Even the spelling of woman had MAN in it, what did she expect they talk about!

Feminism thrash!

Why does everyone on here keep saying thrash instead of trash?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by ezeagu(m): 7:54am On Oct 11, 2016
duketunde:
“Put a group of women together and the conversation will eventually be about men. Put a group of men together and they will not talk about women at all, they will just talk about their own stuff.

Well, that's not true at all.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Oildichotomy(m): 7:58am On Oct 11, 2016
ezeagu:

Why does everyone on here keep saying thrash instead of trash?
It is trash though but ..... autocorrect had its own reasons grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by shine12: 7:59am On Oct 11, 2016
Beyoncé never made her popular except for those people in this world that won’t know anything until a popular culture celebrity endorses it.
This woman had an honorary degree from Kalamazoo College in around 2007, which was way before Beyoncé used a portion of her speech in her song. She won the prestigious MacArthur genius grant in 2008,a prize of $500,000. She has been a fellow at both Princeton and Harvard and also have gave speeches in top institutions around the world, way before Beyoncé.

She is well respected in institutions around the world and can pretty much walk into any faculty in top Ivy League schools and hold a Professorship position if she wants to, just because of what she knows and have accomplished.

To me she’s even less popular now, She was balling around 2007ish to 2010ish, the days of Purple Hibiscus and The thing around your neck.
Lastly Americana was on New York Times best books in 2013 list, all before Beyoncé and the book is being made into a movie now.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Oildichotomy(m): 7:59am On Oct 11, 2016
Eeroh95:
she got nothing wrong... Her opinion... Opinion that doesn't suit yours sucks remember
True that!!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Phi001(m): 8:15am On Oct 11, 2016
favexx:
u are a killer. Repent! grin
grin grin
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by krak101(m): 8:34am On Oct 11, 2016
Geeweeny:
........best comment i av read so far,yeah like someone earlier stated,she is married,do u want to tell me that she isnt doin d work of a woman or is she the one that proposed to her husband,feminism is delusional and i pity the ladies that buy into this bullshit
And some single ladies will carry the feminist campaigns on their heads. You'll remain single till eternity. There's a huge difference between feminism and women empowerment. I prefer the latter
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by POLICECAP: 8:39am On Oct 11, 2016
UjSizzle:
I love that she refused to allude growing popularity to Queen Bey. I mean, we knew Chimamanda of Purple Hibiscus and HOAYS already. We knew Chimamanda of the Tedtalk 'The dangers of a single story'. So why should the western world make assertions that Bey drove her into limelight when she didn't?

The best celebrities can do for each other is to 'recommend' the other's work by using it to further enhance their own work. And that's what Beyoncé did. In a sense they did something good for each other's career.

So screw all these white supremacists trying to make our home girl feel like she was nothing before the Queen grin I feel your pain. And I'm glad you refused to tolerate it.
After all Taylor Swift refused to tolerate the Kanye factor taking credit for her success tongue

I rarely coment on nairaland anymore cos its now infiltrated by toddlers.
I was thrilled by ur comment and scrolling up to check the gender I became more thrilled. I really applaud ur intelligence.

@ topic. Any body who says queen B gave C.Amanda popularity has only exposed his/her poor reading culture period!

3 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by fabian063: 8:39am On Oct 11, 2016
goingape1:
just look at her!

go and divorce your husband and we shall know you are a true feminist.

nonsense woman
How is divorcing her husband makes her equal with her husband.
Smh
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by dungburu: 8:40am On Oct 11, 2016
Beyonce aknowlegded her work "article" to avoid plagiarism which obliviously sold her name the more. I think she should be grateful, either Beyonce make her popular or the other way round. Now she wants to defend the fact that Its not Beyonce that brought her to limelight even as the public know Its not true. But there are some things that makes you more honourable when you keep quiet and allow them wade off than when you are trying to justify your being.

Blacks gat too much pride and " Notice Me Syndrome" Just to bring all glory to themselves. Acquisition of material trash is an evidence with the blacks they have arrived or living in great affluence. You see a newly employed young graduate taking the picture of where he is office to the social media just to advertise his newly gotten job to His friends and enemies on his dp on whatsapp and facebook. Just to notify them of what they think he can't achieve has been accomplished.

Blacks will always want to blow the trumpet of every single achievement. It is pathetic.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 11, 2016
kaboninc:

I strongly disagree!!!

Don't just strongly disagree....tell us why you disagree.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by BlackChyld(m): 8:46am On Oct 11, 2016
orlarbissy:
Ok, black is beautiful. Wait oooo she isn't black but chocolate, so wat should I say now?
Dummy, What they mean by Black is beautiful is the Black race entirely, and that includes light and dark skin.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Geeweeny(m): 8:49am On Oct 11, 2016
krak101:
And some single ladies will carry the feminist campaigns on their heads. You'll remain single till eternity. There's a huge difference between feminism and women empowerment. I prefer the latter
For me,they are both BS,i thnk women should cm to understand their roles and actually learn how to combine their roles with their dreams,the problem is most women just love playin d victim card,that men are oppressing them,a real man who sees how serious u are wth ur dream will support u and trust me if women stop seein themselves as victims there will be no need for such things like feminism and women empowerment.....know wht u want,work on urslf and stand ur ground

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by krak101(m): 8:56am On Oct 11, 2016
Geeweeny:
For me,they are both BS,i thnk women should cm to understand their roles and actually learn how to combine their roles with their dreams,the problem is most women just love playin d victim card,that men are oppressing them,a real man who sees how serious u are wth ur dream will support u and trust me if women stop seein themselves as victims there will be no need for such things like feminism and women empowerment.....know wht u want,work on urslf and stand ur ground
Well they always feel they're been marginalised or restricted in some ways. Or better still they feel they're shortchanged by our largely male dominant society. Nobody's gonna give anybody anything on a platter of your sex. You said it all my brother... Distinguish yourself and see if you'll not be appreciated
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by demelza: 8:58am On Oct 11, 2016
Shym3xx:

Better chill out cos you're more of a hustler than a great writer, before Queen Bey pulls the plug on ya arse. No black woman survives after going to war with Beyonce lol.

Simple acknowledgement of what Beyoncé did and talking about whatever platform you had before her should suffice. Pride will end up messing up her career with those half-baked books.
Erm... She will survive this one.
The Beyhive got bigger fish to fry, I think they will pass on her.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Nobody: 8:59am On Oct 11, 2016
Make una nor mind this Chimamanda oh. She is a Virgo, one of the most ungrateful signs in the zodiac.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Arielle: 9:00am On Oct 11, 2016
Some things are better left unsaid. I think she should have risen above it all. The truth is that people know her more for her books. The majority of the demography that knows about her from Beyonce ' s song have never heard of her books. For several reasons. They don't read at all, they don't read African literature, they only read sports pages or lad's mags ....There are so many reasons because Beyonce ' s fans cut across myriad groups of people and ethnicities. So yeah, she got extra props for the added exposure. She could have graciously left it at that. I'm a huge Chimamanda fan but I think her comments came across as snarky and unworthy of her.
Another thing I hate is this divide. As women we're always finding ways to divide ourselves. Why create 'brands' of feminism? Beyonce is finding her own power in the environment she knows or is comfortable in. She may never have written a word in her life but it doesn't invalidate what she has achieved. I don't like women who seemingly look down on other women for embracing their femininity. So what if she wants him to "put a ring on it" or she dresses to please her man. I think Ms Adichie got it wrong here.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Nobody: 9:02am On Oct 11, 2016
john650:
Why is this woman always looking for a fight? If she's not saying something bad about men, she's now dissing Beyonce who has provided an immense lift to her career. She never shows appreciation for anybody but herself. Always acting like a bull in a China shop.

My brother she is a Virgo. One of the most ungrateful signs in the zodiac.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Nobody: 9:04am On Oct 11, 2016
UjSizzle:

Ingrate
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" by Nobody: 9:26am On Oct 11, 2016
Oildichotomy:

Feminism trash!

The girl has issues, I respect her acheivements but I've never been a fan of hers. She has a chip on her shoulder

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What's Your Favorite Novel Of All Time? / Chimamanda Adichie: “Why I Wear Nigerian Designers" / Skarlett Wins Seun Osewa Fiction Battle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.