Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,971 members, 7,799,302 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:39 PM

Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie (942 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Make Me A Wife / Chimamanda Adichie: "Beyonce Didn't Make Me Popular" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie by indomitablesq(m): 2:33am On Oct 11, 2016
Award-winning Nigerian writer, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, has expressed disappointment over news making the rounds that American singer, Beyoncé Knowles, made her popular.
One of Beyoncé’s single ‘Flawless’, purportedly sampled a speech and book-length essay: ‘We Should All Be Feminists’, by Adichie and the news trended on the social media that the book aimed at giving a definition of feminism for the 21st century, achieved little or nothing until the singer emphasized it in her song.
But the writer said she was shocked at how many requests for an interview she received when that song was released, with the claim that the song threw her further into limelight.n an interview with Dutch newspaper: de Volkskrant, Adichie said, “I think Beyoncé is lovely and I am convinced that she has nothing but the best intentions.
“In addition, Beyoncé is a celebrity of the first order and with this song she has reached many people who would otherwise probably never have heard the word feminism, let alone gone out and buy my essay, but I was shocked about how many requests for an interview I received when that song was released.
“Literally every major newspaper in the world wanted to speak with me about Beyoncé and how she gave me fame. I felt such resentment. I thought: are books really that unimportant to you?
“Another thing I hated was that I read everywhere: now people finally know her, thanks to Beyoncé, or: she must be very grateful. I found that disappointing.
“I thought: I am a writer, self made, and I have been for some time and I refuse to perform in this charade that is now apparently expected of me: ‘Thanks to Beyoncé, my life will never be the same again.’
“That’s why I didn’t speak about it much.
“Still, her type of feminism is not mine. As it is the kind that, at the same time, gives quite a lot of space to the necessity of men.
“I think men are lovely, but I don’t think that women should relate everything they do to men: did he hurt me, do I forgive him, did he put a ring on my finger? We women are so conditioned to relate everything to men.
“Put a group of women together and the conversation will eventually be about men. Put a group of men together and they will not talk about women at all, they will just talk about their own stuff.
“We women should spend about 20% of our time on men, because it’s fun, but otherwise we should also be talking about our own stuff,” she added. click here for more info- http://indomitablesq..com.ng/2016/10/beyonce-did-not-make-me-popular.html

1 Like

Re: Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie by sarrki(m): 2:44am On Oct 11, 2016
You are Right

Na baba God after baba God then

God after him is Olodumare after him is Chineke

Then after him is ubangiji after him Allah
Re: Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie by flamingREED(m): 2:58am On Oct 11, 2016
I thought this lady was wise
Re: Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie by sarrki(m): 3:00am On Oct 11, 2016
flamingREED:

Bro wetin she do ?
Re: Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie by Nobody: 3:38am On Oct 11, 2016
She was famous in Africa, but also, only as a writer
Re: Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie by zinachidi(m): 4:08am On Oct 11, 2016
sarrki:
You are Right
Na baba God after baba God then
God after him is Olodumare after him is Chineke
Then after him is ubangiji after him Allah
what is your point exactly?
Re: Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie by SamuelAnyawu(m): 4:12am On Oct 11, 2016
flamingREED:

King Solomon Daluuuuuuuuu
Re: Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie by MayorofLagos(m): 4:16am On Oct 11, 2016
Even in Nigeria, Adichie is only popular among Ibos and only in Nairaland and possibly on Linda's blog.

This is not the age of literature. Investors are tearing down libraries to clear room for music and movie studios. C'mon!
Re: Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:48am On Oct 11, 2016
MayorofLagos:
Even in Nigeria, Adichie is only popular among Ibos and only in Nairaland and possibly on Linda's blog.

This is not the age of literature. Investors are tearing down libraries to clear room for music and movie studios. C'mon!

She is not popular until she is a yoluba,say a disgusting tribal goat. Tribal sshiitt eater!
Re: Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie by sarrki(m): 4:51am On Oct 11, 2016
zinachidi:
what is your point exactly?

A true Nigeria understands me

That's God name in different Nigeria language

Is that OK now ?
Re: Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie by modath(f): 5:03am On Oct 11, 2016
I felt such resentment. I thought: are books really that unimportant to you?

Ngo ha ha cheesy, why feel resentment? of course baddie bee put you on, common nah, you think anyone but bookish people were checking for you? Really? People who read aren't many, even on NL, anything beyond 5 paragraphs, na summary we go hear.

Ngozi though a brilliant literati is unwise in the ways of the world, only folks who read deep books and some Nigerians know about her, but Beyonce is one of those one name powerhouses that their brands are part of the fabric of pop culture... whose persona has a life of its own! You hear "bootylicious" you think of Bey, "woke up like this", Bey gives traction to people and causes and no one should be resentful, it is what it is.

Mention Ngozi anywhere, (even in Naija,) you will be required to add her surname and some still will need to hear writer and book title to arrive at the obvious conclusion....

Quick survey: How many people here jave read just one of her books? How many people can hum a tune or two of one of Beyonce's songs without even knowing the song title?

2 Likes

Re: Beyoncé Did Not Make Me Popular – Chimamanda Adichie by Mynd44: 6:34am On Oct 11, 2016

(1)

Change your vision - In the same boat - Short Story / Pun Story / Good Morning Habits For A Successful Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.