Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,153 members, 7,807,514 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia (47638 Views)

Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / Nigerians, Lets Go On A Vacation / TBS BRT Bus Station: First Time Experience During Rush Hour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by ERONX(m): 6:22pm On Oct 13, 2016
It all happened on the 10th of October I left home in Ontario and decided to go on vacation in the beautiful city of st Petersburg with a childhood friend of mine who is White. When taking our usual tour walk with our complete papers and tourist passport, I observed that most people along the street kept on staring and moving away from us especially me....

We later discovered we've missed our way because we visited most of the tour centers with our map, so we decided to ask the locals around for help. When I approached them for direction, although we had issues with language difference they would just grin and shout out loud, some would run away and avoid me from getting close when I tried asking for direction.

I finally discovered I was been avoided because of my dark skin colour, so i asked my friend to do the questioning while I stood far away but there was no way they could help even with the map due to the language difference. They offered assistance by pointing to a police stand we went there with the intention of asking for direction, the two policemen shook hands with my white friend but ignored shaking hands with me, after giving us directions on how we could get a cab that will take us to our hotel, we thanked them and we were about leaving the policemen called us back and asked what I'm carrying in my backpack. I told him I have my papers some money and my lunch. He took the bag from me checked it himself he saw my papers were complete yet he refused returning my backpack, i got very angry and asked him to return my backpack yet he refused my friend tried pleading yet he refused...

What made me angry was because he didn't ask for the contents in my friend's backpack when he saw how furious and angry I've become, he returned the backpack and started raining abusive racist word in both Russian and English. I threatened him I would file a complaint to the Russian Police, and told him I would file legal actions against him. After threatening him, he stopped the insult and in a few minutes a police car drove to our scene i believe the locals around contacted the police. A superior officer from the police vehicle apologised on his behalf, he was also asked to apologise which he did reluctantly the most embarrassing part of it was when all the drama was unfolding the locals around gathered to catch a glimpse of what was happening while others took pictures.

We finally got back to the hotel I was very angry all through, I had to reschedule for the next flight and I went back home the next day.

All through my lifetime I have never been subjected to such a degrading and embarrassing moment.

RACISM IS BAD #SAYNOTORACISM

305 Likes 41 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by ERONX(m): 6:23pm On Oct 13, 2016
Lalasticlala & other Mods please do the needful.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by FastShipping: 6:29pm On Oct 13, 2016
Racism is everywhere in the west. Don't be shocked to read from me that racism in the US is high as ever. I have seen it all.

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Fidelismaria: 6:33pm On Oct 13, 2016
cry

eyah

sori bro
I rily don't understand d cause of dis racism

beats me everytime I try to tink bout it

say no to racism

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by soberdrunk(m): 6:35pm On Oct 13, 2016
I feel your pain my brother but Racism in Russia is not particular to only blacks and Russians hate you more automatically if you cant speak the lingo......

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by babyfaceafrica: 6:36pm On Oct 13, 2016
sorry bro...next time hold a recorder along when you walking and record all abuses and sue their ass

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Amberon11: 6:50pm On Oct 13, 2016
Oo

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by dotman4real007(m): 6:53pm On Oct 13, 2016
racism is everywhere!!! even in Nigeria we have tribalism. and what I call wealth racism.

213 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by tdbankplc: 6:55pm On Oct 13, 2016
Solve problem of tribalism first before talking racism.

138 Likes 9 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by otokx(m): 6:55pm On Oct 13, 2016
Feel free to visit Port Harcourt with your white friend; nobody will abuse you racially.

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by bettercreature(m): 6:59pm On Oct 13, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
sorry bro...next time hold a recorder along when you walking and record all abuses and sue their ass
Sue who? You seems never travelled abroad.
Sorry bro discrimination is everywhere it's just worse in Asia.Next time send your white friend
Dont take public transport i mean train or bus
Dont use the same lift with white people
Don't greet them
Try to be confident and proud
Avoid walking alone esp in Asia
Always go straight to the police if you miss the road
Don't swim when they are in pool or nearby
Don't gym when they are there
Avoid going to tennis court when they are there
Find a black dominated church
The list is endless

78 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by babyfaceafrica: 7:04pm On Oct 13, 2016
bettercreature:
Sue who? You seems never travelled abroad.
Sorry bro discrimination is everywhere it's just worse in Asia.Next time send your white friend
Dont take public transport
Dont use the same lift with white people
Don't greet them
Try to be confident and proud
Avoid walking alone esp in Asia
Always go straight to the police if you miss the road
Don't swim when they are in pool or nearby
Don't gym when they are there
Avoid going to tennis court when they are there
Find a black dominated church hmmmm
The list is endless

3 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Mille: 7:15pm On Oct 13, 2016
Lol.

One thing I ever come to notice in my little sojourn is that you have to be bold and confident. Any act of meekness makes you an easy target.

I mostly don't move around alone here in Cluj, Romania anymore. When I first got here, people were very very curious and stare a lot. It used to make me uncomfortable but somehow, I got bold. Walk and talk with boldness. That way, you intimidate them.

I am uses to walking with my female Polish housemate and friend People used to think we are lovers because we walk around the city together most times. So they always stare at an 'interracial couple' and we do get a lot of jealous looks from the young women, spiteful looks from the old people and young men and hear lots of comments, mostly curious.

So today, we were walking instead of taking a bus to a shopping centre about 20minutes away. Halfway, these two guys came, likely Romanians or Hungarians in their mid 30s. They kept walking up to us with the idiot shouting " Hey man, what are you doing in my country? Go back to your country and leave my country " blah blah blah.

I just ignored him, continued walking slowly and MAJESTICALLY and with real swagger and boldness while chatting hilariously with my friend. When he saw I wasn't intimidated, he had to stop cos I was making him look really stupid.

One thing about Eastern Europe is that they have not been exposed to people of other cultures. I go out almost everytime and never come across black people. I have only seen 2 blacks since I've been in Cluj.

236 Likes 15 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Mekky2010: 7:21pm On Oct 13, 2016
I studied in Moscow and must frankly say that your experience is not a common one, St Pburg is a tourist city where millions of foreigners visit yearly. My guess is that you were probably forming Americana, with your shoes, shirt, etc displaying American flag and Russians have natural disdain for US more than the colour of your skin.

If u ever wish to visit Russia again, contact me, I ll get my pals to give you the amazing Russian hospitality ....

I hope you were able to visit Petergof before the bad experience...

84 Likes 15 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by ERONX(m): 8:00pm On Oct 13, 2016
Mekky2010:
I studied in Moscow and must frankly say that your experience is not a common one, St Pburg is a tourist city where millions of foreigners visit yearly. My guess is that you were probably forming Americana, with your shoes, shirt, etc displaying American flag and Russians have natural disdain for US more than the colour of your skin.

If u ever wish to visit Russia again, contact me, I ll get my pals to give you the amazing Russian hospitality ....

I hope you were able to visit Petergof before the bad experience... No we didn't visit Petergof, we planned on visiting petergof with a tour guard the next day prior to the incident...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by martineverest(m): 10:23pm On Oct 13, 2016
....of all places....u need 1000mg of panadal xtra

nigerians and hyprocrisy.u have forgotten how u and ur fellow nairalander insult people from other tribes and u enjoyed it...its so ironic how u view russians after doing similar things to people of ur skin colour.

#TribalismIsWorseThanRacism

158 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by osaslord500(m): 10:23pm On Oct 13, 2016
Your own self na Russia, imagine ordinary Kenya guys wan do me racism last year.

130 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Olukokosir(m): 10:24pm On Oct 13, 2016
Urs na Russia.. Mine na Akure(Futa campus) ... Dem neva c fyn boy b4... Cum c country pple dey halla .... Tanx to der VC wey cum to my rescue

I fit show u my picx oo

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 10:25pm On Oct 13, 2016
I am not a MONKEY.

I am MADE OF BLACK

And I love it

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 10:26pm On Oct 13, 2016
x
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by George22016(m): 10:26pm On Oct 13, 2016
I remember my own racism experience at Ajegunle..
Pathetic!!!

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by PunterTim(m): 10:26pm On Oct 13, 2016
It beats me atimes when peeps get affected by this!.Why would i be concerned when someone insults my skin color.There is absolutely nothing wrong with me being black and the whole world knows it,why should i be bothered.

I'm sorry but peeps that these things get to are fragile,weak emotionally and psychologically!

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Brendaniel: 10:27pm On Oct 13, 2016
Wow

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Histrings08(m): 10:30pm On Oct 13, 2016
Racism can't be eradicated.. Ask me why nd I'll explain

2 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by ikorodureporta: 10:31pm On Oct 13, 2016
Man go alwayz hate man

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 10:31pm On Oct 13, 2016
Can I see A Picture of you ? grin

2 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by redcliff: 10:33pm On Oct 13, 2016
Mekky2010:

I hope you were able to visit Petergof before the bad experience...

Oga which kine talk be this?

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Urukpe: 10:33pm On Oct 13, 2016
Histrings08:
Racism can't be eradicated.. Ask me why nd I'll explain

Y

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by hustla(m): 10:33pm On Oct 13, 2016
ERONX:
It all happened on the 10th of October I left home in Ontario and decided to go on vacation in the beautiful city of st Petersburg with a childhood friend of mine who is White. When taking our usual tour walk with our complete papers and tourist passport, I observed that most people along the street kept on staring and moving away from us especially me....

We later discovered we've missed our way because we visited most of the tour centers with our map, so we decided to ask the locals around for help. When I approached them for direction, although we had issues with language difference they would just grin and shout out loud, some would run away and avoid me from getting close when I tried asking for direction.

I finally discovered I was been avoided because of my dark skin colour, so i asked my friend to do the questioning while I stood far away but there was no way they could help even with the map due to the language difference. They offered assistance by pointing to a police stand we went there with the intention of asking for direction, the two policemen shook hands with my white friend but ignored shaking hands with me, after giving us directions on how we could get a cab that will take us to our hotel, we thanked them and we were about leaving the policemen called us back and asked what I'm carrying in my backpack. I told him I have my papers some money and my lunch. He took the bag from me checked it himself he saw my papers were complete yet he refused returning my backpack, i got very angry and asked him to return my backpack yet he refused my friend tried pleading yet he refused...

What made me angry was because he didn't ask for the contents in my friend's backpack when he saw how furious and angry I've become, he returned the backpack and started raining abusive racist word in both Russian and English. I threatened him I would file a complaint to the Russian Police, and told him I would file legal actions against him. After threatening him, he stopped the insult and in a few minutes a police car drove to our scene i believe the locals around contacted the police. A superior officer from the police vehicle apologised on his behalf, he was also asked to apologise which he did reluctantly the most embarrassing part of it was when all the drama was unfolding the locals around gathered to catch a glimpse of what was happening while others took pictures.

We finally got back to the hotel I was very angry all through, I had to reschedule for the next flight and I went back home the next day.

All through my lifetime I have never been subjected to such a degrading and embarrassing moment.

RACISM IS BAD #SAYNOTORACISM

There are some parts of Russia, Germany and Eastern Europe u shouldnt go to if you're black, next time, make your findings very well before traveling

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by frankmoney(m): 10:34pm On Oct 13, 2016
Learning

6 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Air Peace: Allen Onyema Crying As Nigerians Return From South Africa / FRSC Hands Over N2 Million Recovered At Accident Scene In Ogun (Photos) / 11 Reasons Why You Must Japa From Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.