Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,849 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:02 AM

Romoke!!! - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Romoke!!! (37011 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Romoke!!! by swankmee(f): 7:31pm On Oct 13, 2016
Dis is my first time of writing a story and posting it online. Comments as well as criticisms are welcomed, please stay tuned

********"Romoke! You are not getting any younger, a word is enough for the wise". My mother rounded up her discussion for the third time, I stared hard at her and left her room. Why would she keep on pestering my life on the issue of marriage, afterall it is God that gives husband, I hissed loudly and mounted the old stairs to my room.
I was already late 30 minutes late for the evening service today. I quickly changed my top and grabbed a multi-colored scarf, I smothened my rumpled skirt with my palms and then grabbed my bible and rushed out of the room, almost colliding with my step-mother on the staircase I quickly mouthed a brief word of "sorry ma" and raced to my mother's room but I could hear her hiss and say "omo iya" (useless child), it was a normal word from iya bisi my mother's rival she never for once liked us especially me.
"maami! " I knocked again, what could she be doing inside, I was still contemplating if I should just barge into her room or not, when she opened the door slightly" kilode? " (what is it). It was as if maami was sweating and she had just her wrapper on, but who could be inside? Of course it cannot be Baba because he traveled to farm. Anyway that is not my business it's maami's life let her live her life.
" What is it, you are disturbing me! " she interrupted my thoughts and gave me a hard stare.
" uhm-m, am going to the church, and I won't be back till 7:30"
"mtchewww......., go to wherever you like, you shameless girl. all your mates are getting married already pregnant for their last born and you are here going for different services about , it is that church that will ruin you! " She said and jamed the old door at my face. But why was maami treating me like this, afterall am just 28 and am positive that God will surely do something new for me before the year runs out. I was still staring at the closed door before I realized that I was crying, I was downcast and discouraged to go to church when something in me said: "God will wipe away your tears". Then I cleaned my tears and rushed to church by then it was already 6:30pm.
My mother, Asake Ogunjobi is Baba's 2nd wife, Baba (as my father is fondly called) has 6 wives, sometimes I even wondered how Baba sleeps with them and never gets tired. (lol). Maami has 6 children, 5 girls and a boy, my elder ones were all married, leaving me and my naughty brother Ogunyemi. My mother doesn't believe in God, infact all my family members are ogun worshippers but my two elder ones are Muslims and the rest were ogun worshippers even my step-siblings but as for Ogunyemi, he is neutral he practiced none of the religions. So everyone in my house were free to practice any religion.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Romoke!!! by swankmee(f): 8:00pm On Oct 13, 2016
I only finished my form five, passed all my papers, went to secretariat school but could not further because maami wanted me to marry an old chief because of his money and Baba was not serious in sending me to school he would say "romoke, go and do what your mates are doing and bring food to my table". At age 25 after I finished the school of secretariat studies, I started the work of sweeping and cleaning houses for the rich people in my village, the last house help work I did got me into trouble and branded me an unquenchable name in the village even though I didn't do it. The last work I did was in chief Abayomi 's house. Chief Abayomi and his son were always making love advances to me whenever I came for the day' s job, then there was a day I was busy washing plates in the kitchen, when chief abayomi's son grabbed me my boobs from behind, I was shocked, I quickly turned round to know who it was only to find my mouth covered in his mouth, and when I finally found the chance to push him off my body then I heard.
"ahnahn..... Iwo omo yii " (you this child) it was my madam's voice

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Romoke!!! by swankmee(f): 8:01pm On Oct 13, 2016
UPDATE cumin soon.......
Re: Romoke!!! by abefe99: 8:01pm On Oct 13, 2016
seems interesting more update please
Re: Romoke!!! by olujuwonj(m): 3:03am On Oct 14, 2016
9c 1
Re: Romoke!!! by swankmee(f): 8:04am On Oct 14, 2016
Thks for the comment.......
Re: Romoke!!! by swankmee(f): 8:26am On Oct 14, 2016
But by the time I looked up, I was shocked to see that it was chief Abayomi's son Ayo . I had not even completed my shock when I heard another loud noise '' KPOWAI"!....... Only to find out that I was the one madam slapped,. Tears already formed in my eyes then I heard "if I see you near my son again..... I will break you". I looked at myself again, was I that easy to break? Though am slim but not thin, am of average height, dark not too curvy but busy and I have an irresistible pink lips. But how could she break me?
What if she knows about her darling husband's advances? Then that means she would crush me then.
The episode between me and Ayo finished that day as I always avoided him but however my luck ran out when madam travelled, though I never lived the house, but I went everyday to work. I was in their sitting room cleaning the floor when chief entered, he scanned the whole whole house, then he rushed to me and grabbed me like one has caught his prey "romoke baby, if you let me have you, I will buy you house, cars and everything you need". I pushed him and tried running out of the sitting room, but he was fast enough to block me. "oga please don't do this"..... He didn't listen to me, he just kept advancing towards me like I was his prey, of course! I was his prey.! He grabbed me and was kissing me crushing me with his dammn lips, I tried pushing him but it was as if I was pushing a solid rock. Then suddenly I heard the door open, "ahh............... Chief!!.......... Daddy!!"

3 Likes

Re: Romoke!!! by abefe99: 9:32am On Oct 14, 2016
luv ur update, please more
Re: Romoke!!! by swankmee(f): 10:05am On Oct 14, 2016
I thought I was in a trance but lo and behold chief's daughters and his son, and I couldn't really figure out who the last person was until I heard "ahhh...... Romoke...... I would! (you).... I will deal with you today.... Husband snatcher!". It was my madam, meanwhile chief was shielding me from his daughters while Ayo stood watching me with hatred and his father with jealousy,. Meanwhile after madam said those statements and ran towards the kitchen, I quickly gathered my danfo skirt and scampered for safety. I ran out of their compound, out of the Abayomi's home, and out of their lives.

"romoke, how was service " I was brought back to reality by my boo dimeji. He is a Sunday school teacher in church and also a primary school teacher, we have been dating for 7 years now but nothing to show for it, he is so stingy, never even bought a top or given me money to cook for him before as I always satisfy him with my own money all I hear is the same song (that even the church Council must not hear every year) of "romoke don't worry, we will get married at God's appointed time let me get promoted first" he would say. Even when he got promoted he forgot about his promises and always convinced me to sleep with him and get pregnant for him first, but who was he even trying to fool?
"it was fine, we thank God "
" so how far, how are you doing now " he smiled revealing his brown set if teeth, but was he even smiling for by the time I break the news to him he will close his mouth.
" am good, thank you" I said, twisting my mouth sideways. We stepped out of the church and were walking slowly, he breathed slightly and said "romoke, I was expecting you to come to my house yesterday but you didn't, the last soup you made for me as even finished and you know you are a good cook" he winked at me, this guy has really taken me for a fool I said to myself. "look dimeji I am tired of this hide and seek when are we getting married?" he stopped to face me, looking around he said : "haba........... Romoke, I told you to get pregnant for me first"
"well I can't, I can't sleep with you now until am married to you. Dimeji how many times will I tell you that am keeping myself for my husband "? I was already angry and was raising my voice. He was quite surprised at my outburst then he tried acting cool he said" don't worry, I will marry let's just do it, so that you can get pregnant first,....... I love u oooo am serious nwwww ". He smiled again, does he even think am joking I got more offended instead........ '' dimeji you are such a fool, you don't deserve me at all". He was shocked and he tried to touch my arms but I waved him off.
"look, I am jobless, am not school, I keep on getting empty promises from you, look enough is enough. Dimeji I want to move forward without you ". He shook his head and was already vibrating cause I could see his clenched fist and his eyes were getting red. Before I knew what was happening he slapped me, this was not the first or second time that he did that. He slapped me and walked away, I called out to him "you ingrate! I hate you! Beast!". I was hurt, and embarrassed, I was itching to slap him back but he had already gone. I held my right ear With my hand and walked back home. "bloody idiot"! I said aloud eve though he had already walked out of my sight.

5 Likes

Re: Romoke!!! by swankmee(f): 10:07am On Oct 14, 2016
Pls..... Guyz dnt just view and go.... Ur comments goes a longggg wayyy thks
Re: Romoke!!! by stardomberry: 11:48am On Oct 14, 2016
d story looks interesting!!! I hope things will work well for romoke...thumbs up
Re: Romoke!!! by sirblero(m): 12:34pm On Oct 14, 2016
Wat An Intrestin Story...You're Really Doing Great.. #keep It Coming Dr... More Ideas To Yah Story
Re: Romoke!!! by swankmee(f): 6:33pm On Oct 14, 2016
"romoke! " I stirred and opened my eyes to see my sister staring at me, she already had lines that showed frustration and unhappiness on her face.
" sis Nike " I said rubbing my blurry eyes and sitting up in bed. Is it even worthy to be called a bed at all? She sat close to me, adjusting her already faded Ankara blouse. I stared a her even more, God! I can't even believe that this is my immediate elder sister. She was looking too old for her age, Her light complexion had turned to something else.
"romoke.... Hmm... How are you " I looked at my sister she doesn't come to me to talk like this except there was something serious to say
" am fine... "
" how is dimeji? And what is he saying concerning your marriage "
" we broke up......... Yesterday " she frowned her face and then released it again
" okay but I hope all is well? " she asked again.
" yes...... All is well..... He is just not serious "I concluded.
" well okay then, actually maami called sister Bose and I ". But why did maami call them? I do the chores and the cooking, I also washed her clothes. So why would she report me to my sisters.
" but what have I done this time"
"hmmm......... Romoke relax you haven't done anything wrong.... Am sure you know babatope "?
So what has babatope got to do with this issue now, babatope is one of the richest men in our village, he was also the first person to build a mansion in the village, he is a very rich cocoa farmer and he has about two wives, so many young ladies were dying to be his concubine not to talk of being his wife but I was an exception. I never even liked the short, bald, arrogant man.
"yesss... I know him, so what did he do? "
" he is presently in maami's room"
But what is my sister trying to say? So many thoughts ran through my mind, abi was babatope having affairs with maami? But of course not! She's older than him. I waved my foolish thoughts aside and decided to concentrate on what sis Nike was saying.
"he said..... He is so much interested in you and wants to marry you as his third wife "
" what!!!! "
It sounded so new to me, it came as a bombshell. But how on earth will I marry that old cargo, I didn't even let her finish what she was saying before I stood up to open the door, she stood up quickly and pulled me back.
" ahnahn....... Romoke what do you want to do?..... Sit down let me explain things to you so that you can know what to do. " she pushed me to the bed and sat close to me
" look, he has already paid your bride price to maami and baba, he just wants to come and finalize things so that he can take you home "
" what! How can they accept my bride price without even letting me know? " I said asked no one in particular as tears of anger, pain and frustration clouded my eyes. My sister just sat there patting me on my shoulders, I was shivering, confused, disappointed, I didn't even know what to do looking round the room an idea struck my mind.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Romoke!!! by swankmee(f): 6:35pm On Oct 14, 2016
sirblero:
Wat An Intrestin Story...You're Really Doing Great.. #keep It Coming Dr... More Ideas To Yah Story

Thanks alot bro
Re: Romoke!!! by swankmee(f): 6:37pm On Oct 14, 2016
stardomberry:
d story looks interesting!!! I hope things will work well for romoke...thumbs up

yea I hope so too....... Thks bro
Re: Romoke!!! by sirblero(m): 1:13pm On Oct 15, 2016
;DNice Ona..I'll Always Say...#keep It Coming..
Hope Romoke Will Nt Put Pepper In His Snuff..Lolz ;DNice Ona..I'll Always Say...#keep It Coming..
Hope Romoke Will Nt Put Pepper In His Snuff..Lolz
Re: Romoke!!! by Shakyroh320(f): 4:04am On Oct 20, 2016
Kip it cumin,i don pick my seat.more mb to ur phone
Re: Romoke!!! by Babsopey(m): 7:51am On Oct 20, 2016
I saw your comment on my story (Perfect Rejection: My Final Year Love 2) and then check your profile, only to find out you write too.

Believe me I couldn't stop reading until I got to the last part. What a story line! Keep it coming I'm in.

Like they advice me, check the tenses and Capitalize the first letter of the proper nouns. Like Romoke Maami etc

1 Like

Re: Romoke!!! by swankmee(f): 8:23am On Oct 20, 2016
Babsopey:
I saw your comment on my story (Perfect Rejection: My Final Year Love 2) and then check your profile, only to find out you write too.

Believe me I couldn't stop reading until I got to the last part. What a story line! Keep it coming I'm in.

Like they advice me, check the tenses and Capitalize the first letter of the proper nouns. Like Romoke Maami etc

Wow... Thks will kip on posting then, decided to stay on a low key as I don't get much comments from readers..... Thks alot
Re: Romoke!!! by swankmee(f): 9:37am On Oct 20, 2016
Shakyroh320:
Kip it cumin,i don pick my seat.more mb to ur phone

Wow.... Thks..... Update soon
Re: Romoke!!! by swankmee(f): 9:38am On Oct 20, 2016
Update comes in the evening
Re: Romoke!!! by swankmee(f): 9:38am On Oct 20, 2016
Update comes in the evening...... Stay tuned
Re: Romoke!!! by olujuwonj(m): 10:11am On Oct 20, 2016
good 1
Re: Romoke!!! by swankmee(f): 6:43pm On Oct 20, 2016
I quickly got up from my bed and went to where my clothes were and started packing my clothes. My sister was still staring at me then she stood up to go.
"well.... Romoke, just make sure you make the right decision and follow your heart so you won't end up like me". She tied her scarf to her waist and left the room. Unlike me, sis Nike was not lucky, she was sold out to a trader, I would say sold out because Maami needed money as at then for her firewood business so she sold her out at age 18. Sis Nike got m, arried to the man and he used her anyhow he wanted, though he already had 3 wives. Sis Nike sometimes gets beaten by her husband, sometimes when her husband comes home drunk she would be raped by him. Life was so unbearable for her, even when she started having kids, she would be beaten, starved. There was a day she ran to Maami for money.
"I won't even dare make such mistake". I said, tucking the last piece of cloth into my worn-out traveling bag and zipped it carefully, I checked round the room to make sure there was nothing left then I closed the door and left.
***************** Babatope smiled to himself just the mention of her name sent him sparks and blood rushing fast and hot through his veins,. He wiggled his legs again and smiling in anticipation for Romoke's grand entrance, at least those dangling orange-sized bossom will be his forever he thought this time around he laughed out causing his friend Aremu to look at him, but where was his orange-sized lover? He frowned his face it was taking forever to wait for her, he whispered to his friend who in turn cleared his throat and said
" ahemmm... Iya Romoke, time is going we want to go with our bride" Babatope noded his head, Aremu is his spokesman that was why he brought him over to Romoke's house so that if she gets too stubborn, Aremu would help him bundle her out of their house.
"ahnahn Nike, Romoke is supposed to be here by now, where is she "? Maami squeezed her face and stared at her daughter. Her room is poorly lit from the Lantern at the center of the room, there is also a spring bed at the right side of the room, beside the window is just a table and two cane chairs beside it were piles of clothes neatly folded on the floor, then a water pot is also at the farthest corner of the room. Maami, Alake (maami's first daughter and Nike sat on the bed while Babatope and his friend sat on the cane chairs.
"please go and check her again " Aremu said, while Babatope shifted impatiently on the cane chair,. Alake and Nike stood up to go and check for Romoke while Maami tried to clear the tensed air
" ehmmm my inlaw " she smiled revealing her coloured teeth, Babatope did not smile he just grunted and kept on staring at the door.
" Maami!!!..... We can't find Romoke! "

4 Likes

Re: Romoke!!! by sirblero(m): 7:29pm On Oct 20, 2016
If Na Me Sef...I Wuld Ave Done Dsme...No Be Run I For Run..I For Fly!!...Lolz

Bt Hw Can I Gt Married To Sme1 Hu's Old Enrf To B My Mother Haba....

Nice Story Dr..Thankgod U Decided To Continue This Story... Still Glued To This Story Like *super_glue.......

Keep It Coming...

2 Likes

Re: Romoke!!! by Babsopey(m): 8:28pm On Oct 20, 2016
Lols Kojumaribi, Maya fesefe. Romoke ayaf run lol

1 Like

Re: Romoke!!! by toboski1(m): 8:43pm On Oct 20, 2016
keep em coming dear

1 Like

Re: Romoke!!! by Missmossy(f): 9:35pm On Oct 20, 2016
Forced marriage,really bad. Nice story,keep it coming.

1 Like

Re: Romoke!!! by Nobody: 10:16pm On Oct 20, 2016
if na me na running things oh

1 Like

Re: Romoke!!! by swankmee(f): 4:43pm On Oct 21, 2016
******************Maami rose up and started wailing, while the other wives trooped in from different angles.
"ahhh!!...... Egba miii oooo (please help me), Romoke has killed me " she rolled on the ground while her daughters and the other wives helped her to sit, Babatope was already on his feet shaking his head angrily this time around he spoke out, " see! Iya Romoke, if you don't bring Romoke to my home tomorrow then be ready to pay back my money! Tell ur husband what I said! Aremu let's go" with that they left. Maami kept on shouting "ahhh Romoke has killed me". Some of her co-wives kept on mocking her especially Iya Bisi. When the people trooping in were too much, Nike got up to shut the door just then Baba walked in. Baba is in his late 60s, hw is a very poor farmer and a lover of women, his teeth were already coloured as a result of the drinks and kolanut he took, Baba cared less of his children, he doesn't even know all of them all he cared about was sampling women.
"what is happening here? " he bent down to feel maami's body temperature then he sat on one of the cane chairs.
" Baba..... Romoke is no where to be found "
"..... Romoke?" he scratched his Grey head again and squinted his eyes trying to remember who Romoke is. Then Nike spoke up angrily, "Romoke is my younger sister........ The one Babatope paid her brideprice"
baba suddenly opened his eyes wide "ahhh... Romoke, I remember now so where could she have gone to"
Maami sat up and stared at her husband
"my husband.... Huhmmm Babatope is so upset, he said we should get ready to return all the foodstuffs and money we took from him if we don't find Romoke.... ". She sniffed again whipping her eyes with the edge of her wrapper.
"..... And that is the most painful part..... Don't worry we will find her" with that, he stood up and walked out of the room.

***********************"am sure they would have been looking for me by now". I handed the cup back to Bola and stood up to face the window, I felt tears on my cheeks. "Romoke...... Stop thinking, u are here now and we shall both leave this village by tomorrow". Bola has been my friend right from primary school, she's not from a polygamous home like me, her parents are Christians but are separated, she lives with her dad in Abuja and comes home to see her mum in the village. Unlike me she already has a suitor and she also works in Abuja. I cleaned my tears as I struggled to talk "Bola...... Thank you, God bless you"
"oya,.... Come and help me pack my things Romoke ".
I smiled surely the future is going to be bright........

2 Likes

Re: Romoke!!! by swankmee(f): 4:44pm On Oct 21, 2016
Update soon.......
Re: Romoke!!! by olujuwonj(m): 5:16pm On Oct 21, 2016
fantastic

more power to your elbows

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie At Paris Fashion Week (Photos) / Soyinka: "I Will Hold Private Funeral On Trump’s Inauguration Day" / Photo: Chimamanda adichie With Her Handsome Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.