Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

No Hope For Nigeria: IMF - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Hope For Nigeria: IMF (1713 Views)

No Hope For Nigeria Power Sector – Senate / IMF: Nigerian Economy May Collapse If… / World Bank, IMF Put Pressure On Buhari To Come Up With Economic Blueprint (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by cold(m): 10:58pm On Oct 13, 2016
The International Monetary Fund, IMF, has on Tuesday, October 4, predicted that Nigeria’s hunger and recession, will not end anytime soon.

The prediction is coming at a time when President Muhammadu Buhari, had during his Independence speech, identified and marshaled out workable economic plans, on how his administration tends to recover Nigeria’s economy from recession.

‎IMF, while giving its prediction in Washington DC, ‎United States, US, projected that Nigeria’s economy will be out of recession in 2017, growing by 0.6 percent that year.

‎Based on the IMF World Economic Outlook, WEO,‎ the current economic recession will outlast 2016, with a Gross Domestic Product, GDP, contraction of 1.7 percent.

“Sub-Saharan Africa’s largest economies continue to struggle with lower commodity revenues, weighing on growth in the region.

“Nigeria’s economy is forecast to shrink 1.7 percent in 2016, and South Africa’s will barely expand.

“By contrast, several of the region’s non resource exporters, including Côte d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Senegal, are expected to continue to grow at a robust pace of more than 5 percent this year,”‎ the IMF said.

For other European countries, ‎IMF also forecast a GDP contraction, and subsequent recession for Russia and Brazil, throughout 2016.

“Growth in emerging Asia, and especially India, continues to be resilient.

“India’s Gross domestic Product, is projected to expand 7.6 percent this year and next, the fastest pace among the world’s major economies,”‎ the IMF added.

‎The IMF Chief Economist and Economic Counselor, Maurice Obstfeld, who spoke on the outlook, said global economic growth would remain subdued in 2016, following a slowdown in the United States and Britain’s vote to leave the European Union.

‎He also stated, that the fund forecasts a slight pickup in 2017 and beyond, driven mainly by emerging market strength.

“Taken as a whole, the world economy has moved sideways,” he said. “We have slightly marked down 2016 growth prospects for advanced economies, while marking up those in the rest of the world,”‎ Obstfeld said.

It could be recalled, that IMF had in 2015,‎ projected that the Nigeria’s economy will contract by 1.8 percent in 2016, but the October version of the WEO has seen that reviewed positively, to a contraction of only 1.7 percent.

Nigeria since the emergence of President Buhari, has recorded a 0.36 and 2.06 percent contraction in the first and second quarter of 2016, plunging into its worst recession in 29 years.
[url]
http://www.post-nigeria.com/shock-as-imf-blows-hot-makes-dangerous-prediction-on-nigerias-economy[/url]/
Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by Cjrane2: 11:35pm On Oct 13, 2016
That is what happens when you have a President that only thinks in terms of I'm Flank and they are not my people. The we against them policies of Buhari helped to worsen an already precarious situation.

Now everyone is pretending like we didn't know how we got here.

7 Likes

Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by apriko(m): 12:23am On Oct 14, 2016
Thank you Afonjas with ur slave masters for these ur landmark achievements..... Next time you vote wisely recession don't know who is 5% or 97%

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by Nobody: 1:02am On Oct 14, 2016
apriko:
Thank you Afonjas with ur slave masters for these ur landmark achievements..... Next time you vote wisely recession don't know who is 5% or 97%

Typical flattinovic! grin Afonja this, Afonja that.

Your God Maazi Nnamidddiit is celebrating 1 year anniversary in Kuje today. Instead of you to think of how to rescue him,
you're here typing nonsense

9 Likes

Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by Bari22: 1:05am On Oct 14, 2016
Hope for nigeria
Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by EternalTruths: 3:31am On Oct 14, 2016
BekiOloye:

Typical flattinovic! grin Afonja this, Afonja that.

Your God Maazi Nnamidddiit is celebrating 1 year anniversary in Kuje today. Instead of you to think of how to rescue him,
you're here typing nonsense

See painnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

14 Likes

Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by Flyingngel(m): 5:01am On Oct 14, 2016
Apc i hail thee.

2 Likes

Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by SEOManiac: 5:47am On Oct 14, 2016
This doesn't stop my shine.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by Aremu01(m): 6:05am On Oct 14, 2016
God's on the throne

1 Like

Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by bennyann: 6:10am On Oct 14, 2016
There is hope for me. If I have hope, Nigeria has hope as long as she is still living.

1 Like

Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by CSTR2: 6:11am On Oct 14, 2016
Obvious to the blind . Exactly what I have been saying too.
It would take a serious level of ingenious governance and national unity to get Nigeria back to what it initially was before this govt-which was nothing much anyway but still a growing economy.

1 Like

Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by blackpanda: 6:17am On Oct 14, 2016
Cjrane2:
That is what happens when you have a President that only thinks in terms of I'm Flank and they are not my people. The we against them policies of Buhari helped to worsen an already precarious situation.

Now everyone is pretending like we didn't know how we got here.

Try to read before commenting. Dont just look at headline then jump to start typing rubbish. Nigeria is not the only country in recession, almost all d oil exporting countries face d same. These kind of childish biased sentiments shld stop!

1 Like

Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by jimi4us: 6:19am On Oct 14, 2016
Afonjas don't have sense at all

5 Likes

Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by ayemerbarth: 6:38am On Oct 14, 2016
4get it. IMF not our God.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by kernel504(m): 6:39am On Oct 14, 2016
blackpanda:

Try to read before commenting. Dont just look at headline then jump to start typing rubbish. Nigeria is not the only country in recession, almost all d oil exporting countries face d same. These kind of childish biased sentiments shld stop!

Stop displaying Ignorance, while there was global recession, why did it not happen in Nigeria.... Is called good management.
What caused Buhari's military regime, to slip into recession? You voted an illiterate.

5 Likes

Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by Boleyndynasty2(f): 6:51am On Oct 14, 2016
Nigeria still has hope joor..But buhari sef, try and shake body small

1 Like

Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by Nobody: 6:59am On Oct 14, 2016
See how Tinubu and Atiku led us into recession cry

Useless government.

1 Like

Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by wickyyolo: 8:10am On Oct 14, 2016
grin
Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by borntosuccess(m): 8:13am On Oct 14, 2016
brace up urselfs, fasten ya sit belts d change is real
Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by 7lives: 8:31am On Oct 14, 2016
For those who already have manageable family there is hope, but if you're one of those who like plenty SHIDRENS grin grin grin, this one na die in this period wey we dey o.
Na now Nigerians go know WHY CHINA NO DEY BORN PASS ONE PIKIN grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin.
Imagine those who can't even take care of one child having a dozen, Nigeria is not the only country to suffer economic recession, other countries too have suffered it and survived, we shall survive.
Though our leaders were USELESS, can some of us absolve ourselves? living like there is no tomorrow?, those who invested their hard earned money when money was available i congratulate you and those who spent theirs too on frivolities and worldliness accept my sympathy.
The bottom line is that tough times don't last, tough people do.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by biggie73(m): 8:38am On Oct 14, 2016
Thank you for reminding us. I hope Kemi has been notified.
Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by BossKratos: 8:41am On Oct 14, 2016
Has naija ever had hope before? With all sorts of vagabonds in power all over the place?

undecided

2 Likes

Re: No Hope For Nigeria: IMF by Bethelwealthy(m): 10:11am On Oct 14, 2016
Strangers?? Is it not the same strangers that brought him to power?? Go and sleep madam......... grin

(1) (Reply)

Buhari’s $500M Donation To Clinton Campaign May Damage Nigeria / The Moment EFCC Handle Slams A Twitter Follower With A Savage Reply (photo) / US Govt To Auction Diezani - Linked N16 Billion Apartment In New York

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.